• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

ArcLyte

I would hope they dont, if only because the old game was a very divided game and people either super hate it or love it, and such a remastering effort might waste Yoko Taro's resource budget considering it would be SE footing the bill.

For those of us who can understand Yoko Taro's particular mindset and even more so really are into that kind of thing, its a gamble.

I would consider Drakengard 1 for example, unplayable in this day and age, even though i myself beat it years ago. It was below average at the time it released, but now..

Seems like every time I or someone else mentions they'd like to play the original Nier, the response 100% of the time is something to the effect of "oh, you don't want to play the original Nier because of x and y and z". FFS, I just want to play the game without having to buy another game console, and it would make sense that releasing a new game in the series warrants a remaster of the original in this age of remasters. I'll decide for myself if it's good or not. Worse games have been remastered.

That was so great. The genre blending was fantastic I am just in complete awe I am so looking forward to this. This is gonna be something truly special... it's a shame it's gonna be niche as shit but maybe just maybe this will have some legs.

This really made my evening haha and I'm just waiting for the fun of the night to start being Christmas Eve and all!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The demo really could have used more RPG-ness to better represent the game and where it shines alongside the base combat, rather than putting it front and center.

While true, just like in the previous demos, the reason they are putting the combat front and center is to show how much better it is than the original game, since that was one of the more glaring complaints, along with its other technical underpinnings. Thus, that was also why Platinum being on the project was a very good proposal.

Even during the demo though, we saw a lot of different Nier elements, isometric camera angles, 2D perspectives, platforming , 2D sidescrolling shooting, top down bullet hell shooting ect.

The other elements will surely come in the final game based on the menu which has a lot of RPG mechanics locked off

Inuhanyou

Seems like every time I or someone else mentions they'd like to play the original Nier, the response 100% of the time is something to the effect of "oh, you don't want to play the original Nier because of x and y and z". FFS, I just want to play the game without having to buy another game console, and it would make sense that releasing a new game in the series warrants a remaster of the original in this age of remasters. I'll decide for myself if it's good or not. Worse games have been remastered.

I'm not saying people should not play the original Nier. I'm saying that SE might not want to take the gamble with a remaster because of the original game's controversial nature which, despite the cult following, is understandable. Hence why Automata is not "Nier 2" and why the story is supposedly completely stand alone outside of callbacks for previous folks.

You can play the game right now if you want to, on the hardware it came out on.

But expecting a remaster might be too much to bank on.

Putting some more time into the game, I can approve of it.

Took awhile to come into grips that really no action game will compare to DMC4's combat, but once you sort of accept that, turn your brain off and just enjoy Platinum's over the top derpy combat, it's amazing in it's own right.

The game also just screams speed run. From the movement, the no load times, the soundtrack etc.

It's a damn shame the demo segment has so many cutscene interruptions. I hope you can turn all that off especially on new game + or mission replays.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
whew, liked nothing about that demo. the environments were tiring to look at, the combat was fine if the camera wasn't shifting every other combat sequence and the gratuitous panty shots. goddamn. it just felt like hot garbage. Just didn't dig this at all.

I just don't fuck with it at all.

Replicant

I love this demo. I went from not understanding how the control work to slowly understand what to press to slowly getting better at dodging and evading and when to attack.

Definitely a must-purchase for me.

Damn, the second phase of the boss track that was also used at PSX is godly, I've listened to it a bunch of times:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1qyjLdnivI

This track would have fit Mitsuda's Xenogears/Xenosaga like a glove:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNaT3lrSfPk

The track toward the end definitely had some nice Ghost in the Shell vibes as was mentioned earlier in the thread, especially those vocals.

I dont understand the complaints abut the dub with B2. It gives its own feeling. The VA of 2B sounds like a model that has emotions but is just attempting to remind herself and 9S to not have emotions. Otherwise she would not recognize them. basically its just lip service to satisfy their own programming. I think it comes across well in both languages, although 2B in Japanese does sound more robotic, i don't think that was necessarily the intention of 2B. She emotes quite a bit when fighting the first buzzsaw enemy for example.

Yup, I really like the small taste of the English voices.

Don't know how much of this has already been talked about but my biggest surprise and what now has me really excited are how stages are made with Dark Souls like short cuts. Like the first NieR had its dungeons but once you clear them there is really no reason to return to them and are fairly linear in its progression. I know that there has been talk of Nier:A being a open world game but I took that as just being an bigger concept of NieR1 with its plains and dungeons, and this being more focused on action I imagined that once you clear a dungeon you would be done with it but that doesn't seem to be the case judging by the demo.

In just the demo I found 2 shortcuts, a elavator that didn't work and a door (maybe a second elevator? Don't remember right now) meaning that areas will be more maze like rather than "just kill everything on your way until reaching the boss" kind of feeling which I love! Like already even playing the demo feels like a dream since I never thought NieR would get a sequel but also having actual exploration in search of shortcuts and secrets, 3 playable characters, awesome combat with fantastic animations, and also already showing diferent playstyles with the flight unit at the end... it honestly feel too good to be true. My mind keeps telling me that there most be something wrong with the game, like it being super short, or having the worst fishing minigame in history, or Drakengard 3 final boss part 2, or at the end of the game you have to reformat your PS4 hard drive and erase your PS+ cloud saves to save humanity.

I know I'm being silly but this game honestly feels too good to be true.

Freddo

Man, all this talk of Automata makes me REALLY want to play the original Nier but i don't have a 360 or ps3. They need to freaking remaster it.
I have both consoles and NieR for both, and it's still the last-gen game I would like to see ported to the PS4 the most. So yeah, I agree.

Lynx_7

I know I'm being silly but this game honestly feels too good to be true.

Plot twist: there's only one place with npcs and you explore it briefly once in the entire game, the "open world" is just empty space to connect battle arenas, you only get to boar drift for a short 30 seconds sequence, campaign is 6 hours long at most in true Platinum fashion, RPG aspects in general are really light to almost non-existing, the plot is underdeveloped in favor of the improved gameplay mechanics.
I mean that still sounds kinda good

Really enjoyed the demo, not many ARPGs out there play this smoothly. I was originally going to wait for a discount but I think this may push me to pick up the game at launch. Looks pretty promising if they deliver on the RPG aspect.

Plot twist: there's only one place with npcs and you explore it briefly once in the entire game, the "open world" is just empty space to connect battle arenas, you only get to boar drift for a short 30 seconds sequence, campaign is 6 hours long at most in true Platinum fashion, RPG aspects in general are really light to almost non-existing, the plot is underdeveloped in favor of the improved gameplay mechanics.
I mean that still sounds kinda good

Really enjoyed the demo, not many ARPGs out there play this smoothly. I was originally going to wait for a discount but I think this may push me to pick up the game at launch. Looks pretty promising if they deliver on the RPG aspect.
Don't take my boar drifting away 😣

klier

After playing the demo I can now safely say I dislike everything that Platinum makes.

That boss battle was silly as things can get. I was unable to die, even though I don't even know how to dogde it's moves...

catspit

After playing the demo I can now safely say I dislike everything that Platinum makes.

That boss battle was silly as things can get. I was unable to die, even though I don't even know how to dogde it's moves...

play on a higher difficulty.

So I finished playing the demo the other day. Overall, I liked it. Sure it was a little bit on the easy side but I did enjoy the boss battles. And the soundtrack...the fucking OST is the star of the show.

I might pick this up on the PS4 since there is no date scheduled for the PC version. Goddammit, Squeenix.

I'm not saying people should not play the original Nier. I'm saying that SE might not want to take the gamble with a remaster because of the original game's controversial nature which, despite the cult following, is understandable. Hence why Automata is not "Nier 2" and why the story is supposedly completely stand alone outside of callbacks for previous folks.

You can play the game right now if you want to, on the hardware it came out on.

But expecting a remaster might be too much to bank on.

It would be a nice bonus after automata releases if it sells enough to be considered worth it. Nier is a flawed experience but I do feel like it's worth having. But from squares prospective..... yeah maybe wait and see if you just made a bunch of new fans and then match that demand if so.

Or you could just rerelease it for me, I don't care if you don't fix a thing.

manfestival

played the game on ps3 some time back cause it was 7 dollars because of the hype. I did beat the game (and I hate everyone that stated to go into new game+). This demo just proves that the game has no place in my life. I really wanted to like the first but it was so bad :(

Inuhanyou

I wonder if Automata will do something about alternate endings. You usually can't convince people to play games again to unlock stuff or extra content especially for reviews. It just so happens that a lot of that is critical for every single one of Yoko Taro's previous games.

And its not enough to just youtube these types of things, since multiple playthroughs are integral to the experience with different things happening.

I wonder if Automata will do something about alternate endings. You usually can't convince people to play games again to unlock stuff or extra content especially for reviews. It just so happens that a lot of that is critical for every single one of Yoko Taro's previous games.

And its not enough to just youtube these types of things, since multiple playthroughs are integral to the experience with different things happening.
Well he's not going to catch everyone no matter what he does. Some people just won't care. Either way a game showing to the player that it has multiple endings isn't new or something that is hard to pull off. It's just up to the player to follow through.

You have a cupple of ways, first of all story wise they could do a nier and give you a hook line after the credits. Say "learn the backstory of xxxx" and then it's enough to know it's new content. Being a platinum game it's already replayable as hell, so there are tricks you can do. And honestly if all else fails, just do the easy thing and hold the credits until you get all the endings. Sure people will call the last one "the true ending" but that's always been debatable.

manfestival

Yeah, start by not putting 50 minutes of text with music as part of new game plus

convo

Yeah not at all like those times in Nier where you kept going to the same places and bosses would just happen after you fight enough enemies

How do you know this is a structure that can't be revisited? Counter point: There are locked doors in this demo like any other Nier dungeon the first few times you go in there. Previews show a different structure than any other Platinum game. It's Nier stuff.

How about this?: This demo is a combat vertical-slice. Would this demo end with you just leaving and then going back for more? People would have lost interest without anything at the end of the demo and not seen some huge robot action.

muteki

Thanks for having custom control mapping. Otherwise it would be another game unplayable over remote play (by default dodge is back touch pad).

Hypron

Wait, so the first game isn't available digitally? Whyyyy. I haven't bought a physical game in like 2 years. Looking around it doesn't even look like you can get it for cheap either... I want to play it before playing automata, but that's a pain.

convo

Wait, so the first game isn't available digitally? Whyyyy. I haven't bought a physical game in like 2 years. Looking around it doesn't even look like you can get it for cheap either... I want to play it before playing automata, but that's a pain.

If you want to play the first game for the story and music entirely since the combat in there is uninteresting to say the least,besides the shifts in gameplay style that are intersting, then i would honestly recommend you read or watch an LP instead and maybe also buy the soundtrack.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
its seems that every criticism of the combat is deflected with "um its a RPG actually its not supposed to be that good", but that's kinda all we have to go on in this demo.

Well just go take a look in the demo's menu to get a feel for how the system works as a whole:

Under the "skills" menu, you'll see two categories, "pod programs" and "plug-in chips"; the former are basically special attacks/magic for the pod buddy, (each of which is upgradable as it has an innate power level attached) but the second set is basically the rpg-style upgrade system, which has 4 distinct sub-categories all under an umbrella "memory stack" system where every chip occupies a certain amount of capacity (the number in parentheses after each chip).

Then of course there's the weapon tab which contains multiple types, pairings, and the weapon story system that works in conjunction with each weapon being upgraded to a more powerful form.

It seems pretty extensive, and even better very dynamic as once defined chip layouts (stat builds) can be saved and switched between easily.

Bottom line, examining the various menus in the demo should leave you in no doubt as to what sort of game this is.

geordiemp

Even during the demo though, we saw a lot of different Nier elements, isometric camera angles, 2D perspectives, platforming , 2D sidescrolling shooting, top down bullet hell shooting ect.

The other elements will surely come in the final game based on the menu which has a lot of RPG mechanics locked off

Playing the demo made me realise how much I loved Ninja Gaiden series, and how controlling the camera with R3 gives me such a greater sense of battle. I want to be able to look where I want all the time.

There were moments in the demo I liked, but then it went to 3D or the camera was taken away from me and its jarring and I dont like it. Much better if it was all 3D and full camera control.

Curufinwe

Thanks for having custom control mapping. Otherwise it would be another game unplayable over remote play (by default dodge is back touch pad).

Even using a pad I found swapping shoot to L1 essential. That way I could comfortably hold it down the whole time I was in combat.

Zesh

This demo was pretty fun. Was more bullet hell than I expected, which is fine. The boss was cool as well; looking forward to this one.

Yopis

Just played this. Can't wait for full release. Is the release date the same for all regions?

Playable character looks awesome.

Top Bottom