• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

Exentryk

I loved the demo but the boss fight kind of sucked. It was too scripted and there's wasn't much interactivity.

For the demo, imo, a scripted flashy boss fight was the best idea. We know the game has non scripted boss fights, so no worry there.

Exentryk

giphy.gif

Finally found time to play the demo. Had a small issue getting use to locking on, firing with the pod and evading at the same time but got use to it before I beat the demo. Went with the English dub as I've played the original in English and I'm happy with the voice acting so far. All in all a good demo and plan to try Japanese dub just to know.

ryseing

I really liked the demo, and it led me to reading the Nier LP on LPArchive (since there's no way in hell I'm going to devote the 50+ hours needed for 100%).

Wow. I was aware of the plot but the LP really drove it home. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to catch up but doesn't have the time to play Nier. Way better than a Wiki summary.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This music is so god damn good

Keichi Okabe is so good and the vocals are amazing. Wish I could play the damn demo myself but just looking at streams of it sold me so hard. Looks fluid and fun in typical Platinum fashion coupled with the expected Nier insanity + the music it wouldn't surprise me if it ended up being my game of the generation like the first one was last gen.

Philippo

I was just listening to one of Kinda Funny's recent podcasts and they were hyped about the game, but both the two guys who played the first game quit after a bit because "it was too weird". That's actually the response i got from many, and it's always about the very first hours of the game.

Hoo boy i can't wait for so many people to dig in and find out how crazy Yoko Taro actually is.

I really, really hope his writing and directing choices weren't compromised by SE only because the game has a higher chance of being commercially successfull, and that he was given full creative freedom.

Late, but just played the demo, that was awesome! Never got around to playing Nier on PS3 but I'll certainly not be making that mistake this time around.

Despera

Banned
This music is so god damn good

Keichi Okabe is so good and the vocals are amazing. Wish I could play the damn demo myself but just looking at streams of it sold me so hard. Looks fluid and fun in typical Platinum fashion coupled with the expected Nier insanity + the music it wouldn't surprise me if it ended up being my game of the generation like the first one was last gen.
At the 1:51 mark is when that track goes from good to great.

Had a go playing through this after all the Christmas day goings on, and it's pretty good. Gonna keep an eye on it when it's released.

Can anyone recommend a good Let's Play on YouTube of Nier? I'd like to learn a bit about the world/characters before hand.

SephLuis

Can anyone recommend a good Let's Play on YouTube of Nier? I'd like to learn a bit about the world/characters before hand.

Honestly, the connections between each title aren't that apparent and it's more complicated in the Nier/Drakengard series.

My recommendation is to play automata and, when you can, play the original Nier. It's a special game that you should experience by yourself.

krossj

Gameplay seems more fun than Nier with that platinum influence but I just hope it gets the atmosphere that the first achieved with the music and world.

Demo seems to be going in that direction, really enjoyable section.

Astral Dog

The only thing dissapointing to me is that the art direction looks a bit off, too simple with lots if grays, dissapointed because after Bayonwtta 2 and Wonderful 101 i was thinking Platinum was getting better at designing colorful, pretty and varied environments so their next games would look different too.

Maybe its this specific game, maybe later areas will look far prettier (like that park concept art ❤), dont want to judge from a demo its just that Nier Automata seems to have come out from the same art design school as MG Rising and Bayonetta 1.:O

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The only thing dissapointing to me is that the art direction looks a bit off, too simple with lots if grays, dissapointed because after Bayonwtta 2 and Wonderful 101 i was thinking Platinum was getting better at designing colorful, pretty and varied environments so their next games would look different too.

Maybe its this specific game, maybe later areas will look far prettier (like that park concept art ❤), dont want to judge from a demo its just that Nier Automata seems to have come out from the same art design school as MG Rising and Bayonetta 1.:O
It's intentional the world is post apocalyptic

Jiraiza

Plenty of green awaits.

I didn't want to believe some of the posts that said the combat was watered down. Platinum action games are like no other to me. Glad I went ahead and just bought a ps4 anyway and trusted it was good. It's even better than I was expecting!

Had no idea what Nier 1 was initially-- did some research and it looks cool but I'm in this for platinum.

If you're on the fence and have loved all of platinum A+ action games (recently Bayonetta, Transformers, Rising) trust me in saying this game is certified platinum.

Platinum made me care about Transformers when I had 0 interest before playing their game.

Now I have a feeling I'll end up getting obsessed with this one and trying to play Nier 1

Just finished NIER2 DEMO on my PS4, first thing I've ever played on it.
I'm even more hyped than I was before.
I hope the game isn't too short though. Don't wanna pay 60$ for a 8 hour game. Even though chances are we might need to play through the game a couple times. lol. :p

Also that ending. Seems kinda spoilerish? It's a cliff hanger as well, but also seems really spoilery. But I assume this is beginning of the game since they are just meeting.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Just finished NIER2 DEMO on my PS4, first thing I've ever played on it.
I'm even more hyped than I was before.
I hope the game isn't too short though. Don't wanna pay 60$ for a 8 hour game. Even though chances are we might need to play through the game a couple times. lol. :p

Also that ending. Seems kinda spoilerish? It's a cliff hanger as well, but also seems really spoilery. But I assume this is beginning of the game since they are just meeting.

they say 20+ hours

Exentryk

Anyone know any tricks to making enemies respawn? Or perhaps the best practice area?

No respawns. The enemies in the very first area are probably the best, as you can keep restarting the demo again and again after killing them in stylish ways. Destroy your OS chip to kill yourself incase you don't know.

I hope someone unlocks the debug console on the PC version, so enemies can be spawned at player's wish.

Jiraiza

No respawns. The enemies in the very first area are probably the best, as you can keep restarting the demo again and again after killing them in stylish ways. Destroy your OS chip to kill yourself incase you don't know.

I hope someone unlocks the debug console on the PC version, so enemies can be spawned at player's wish.

That'd be nice. I have a ton of variations I'd like to try but restarting the demo over and over again is a total downer.

Hypron

So I decided to fork out $35 to buy the first game on PlayAsia. Not sure where I'm going to find the time to play it but I'll make it work.

Exentryk

To very hard or to not very hard on my first playthrough, that is the question.

I'll be going Hard. Very Hard makes you play really cautiously, and I'd much rather be trying out new combos and fun stylish attacks all the time. Completing the demo in Very Hard is good enough for me.

Top Bottom