• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Playing the demo made me realise how much I loved Ninja Gaiden series, and how controlling the camera with R3 gives me such a greater sense of battle. I want to be able to look where I want all the time.

There were moments in the demo I liked, but then it went to 3D or the camera was taken away from me and its jarring and I dont like it. Much better if it was all 3D and full camera control.

That's nier :p I guess that's how it will be. Not everyone will like it. This isnt ninja gaiden or a character action to start. Its a mix of styles generally

Inuhanyou

This game is 60fps and pretty stable too, on both PS4 and Pro. I think any 'input lag' concerns are in one's own head

Makikou

Finally got to playing the demo today.

First playthrough got me super hyped.
Then I come here and realize I can try fists.
Proceed to play with fists + light sword.

Pre-order has been placed.

Well just go take a look in the demo's menu to get a feel for how the system works as a whole:

Under the "skills" menu, you'll see two categories, "pod programs" and "plug-in chips"; the former are basically special attacks/magic for the pod buddy, (each of which is upgradable as it has an innate power level attached) but the second set is basically the rpg-style upgrade system, which has 4 distinct sub-categories all under an umbrella "memory stack" system where every chip occupies a certain amount of capacity (the number in parentheses after each chip).

Then of course there's the weapon tab which contains multiple types, pairings, and the weapon story system that works in conjunction with each weapon being upgraded to a more powerful form.

It seems pretty extensive, and even better very dynamic as once defined chip layouts (stat builds) can be saved and switched between easily.

Bottom line, examining the various menus in the demo should leave you in no doubt as to what sort of game this is.

Well said. The game seems to be shaping up great.
Loved the demo.

roytheone

Really liked the demo, got the feeling I only used like 5 % of the options since I mostly just used standard attacks and no real combos. Probably will pick up the pc version. Is that one releasing at the same time as the ps4 one?

Baalzebup

Really liked the demo, got the feeling I only used like 5 % of the options since I mostly just used standard attacks and no real combos. Probably will pick up the pc version. Is that one releasing at the same time as the ps4 one?
Naw, the PC versions release date is TBA.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Played the demo this morning, was super impressed, but I worry that I will have to catch up in both the Nier 1 and Drakengard lore to fully enjoy the game.

DVCY201

Played the demo this morning, was super impressed, but I worry that I will have to catch up in both the Nier 1 and Drakengard lore to fully enjoy the game.

You won't need it. It may help enhance it, but they're all technically standalone games. Drakengard is only tangetially connected to Nier, and Nier is only tangentially connected to Automata.

Adaren

Is there any way to hide the subtitles? Unnecessary onscreen text distracts me.

I asked a few times in this thread, and no one ever replied to me, so I assume there just isn't a way to lol.

Which kind of sucks, but I guess they have to justify those translucent bars at the top of the screen, and they wouldn't be able to do that if you could disable subtitles.

You won't need it. It may help enhance it, but they're all technically standalone games. Drakengard is only tangetially connected to Nier, and Nier is only tangentially connected to Automata.

Several characters from Nier appear in Automata, so I think Nier will be more important than what we have seen so far.

matmanx1

Incredible demo. Just finished a play-through on normal mode. The animations of 2B are so smooth and fluid and fun to execute. This is going to make the wait for the full game quite difficult!

LotusHD

Banned
Lock-on doesn't work in Hard difficulty?!

It literally tells you that it doesn't work lol

I asked a few times in this thread, and no one ever replied to me, so I assume there just isn't a way to lol.

Which kind of sucks, but I guess they have to justify those translucent bars at the top of the screen, and they wouldn't be able to do that if you could disable subtitles.

Oh, I thought you could disable them? Isn't it a removable plug-in chip or something?

played the game on ps3 some time back cause it was 7 dollars because of the hype. I did beat the game (and I hate everyone that stated to go into new game+). This demo just proves that the game has no place in my life. I really wanted to like the first but it was so bad :(

It's not a bad game at all.

It just wasn't your thing, that's fine.

DVCY201

Several characters from Nier appear in Automata, so I think Nier will be more important than what we have seen so far.

Only 3 so far by my count, and they'll likely be explained proper in the story. Hence, how I said playing Nier will enhance your enjoyment, but it's not de facto required as far as I know

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I kinda feel "camera shifts are Nier" misses the point of difference between what the demo does here and what Nier actually did. This is more akin to Super Mario Galaxy 2 which routinely took the core gameplay formula and swapped it between full 3D environments and side scrolling sections. Nier's perspective shifts are more unexpected and specifically channeling a genre or mood; Resident Evil style fixed camera perspective, isometric dungeon crawler, etc. Sidescrolling was mainly reserved for interiors with NPCs, while most of the game played as 3D action game.

Anyway, I finished the demo finally. Definitely liked it more than my first sitting, but my thoughts are more or less the same; it's a good vertical slice of A Platinum Game but not really anything else. I like the mood and setting but yeah. Nothing evidently or overtly unique in the design itself, much in part to it being a snipping of standard character action rather than all the other nuanced game systems that the full game will have.

I am going to be a stick in the mud about this though; despite adoring Platinum's games, I'm getting a bit tired of seeing so many concepts, set pieces, animations, etc recycled in their games with clear influence from predecessors. As much fun as the boss fight is I was still thinking parts of it (particularly the last half) are just like other boss fights in other Platinum games. Transformers gave me the same vibes. It's a weird criticism as I can't blame Platinum for trying a spin on existing ideas, and it makes sense. There's only so much they can do. But I think that's also why I found myself falling in love so quickly with something like The Wonderful 101; because it took Platinum's staple talent but did something very unique with it.

Still pumped for the full game of course, and keen to see what Taro does with the narrative. Just hope it doesn't regress to lazy ass AI commentary where the robots pretend like they don't have emotions and value yet so obviously do routinely.
"Emotions are forbidden"
*proceeds to express a multitude of emotions constantly*

Inuhanyou

Still pumped for the full game of course, and keen to see what Taro does with the narrative. Just hope it doesn't regress to lazy ass AI commentary where the robots pretend like they don't have emotions and value yet so obviously do routinely.
"Emotions are forbidden"

I think we already know that is going to happen :p They obviously are basically human beings in every way but having actual flesh and blood. They just obey their natural programming by paying lipsevice to it every once in a while, and that's just 2B, 9S doesn't even try to act like a machine.

It also makes sense with why A2 has gone rogue herself.

"Emotions are forbidden"

Literally every Yoko Taro game is "Here are rules and here's how people break them, either casually or dramatically."

I expect this to be true of robots.

Loved the first nier and love this demo. Day one. What PS4 game should I get to hold me over until this releases? With the same kick ass gameplay as automata?

Played through it and I enjoyed the gameplay more than I expected. Really liked the music.
2B is voiced by Yui Ishikawa who is also the voice of Attack on Titan's Mikasa, so that's a great choice, considering that the character seems similarly stoic.

Sayad

It literally tells you that it doesn't work lol
Lmao! I picked the game from PSNJ since it was up there earlier, and you get to change the language to English after picking the difficulty(reset every time you start the game). No wonder I missed it. >__<

Inuhanyou

Loved the first nier and love this demo. Day one. What PS4 game should I get to hold me over until this releases? With the same kick ass gameplay as automata?

DMC4 and DmC come closest. Then transformers maybe.

Played through it and I enjoyed the gameplay more than I expected. Really liked the music.
2B is voiced by Yui Ishikawa who is also the voice of Attack on Titan's Mikasa, so that's a great choice, considering that the character seems similarly stoic.

I think the english dub VA may also be Mikasa, but i'm not sure. She sounds very familiar.

LotusHD

Banned
And
two of them just died lol.

Could be replaced by exact replicas, maybe they're somehow salvaged and replaced. We have to play as 9S at some point, so obviously there has to be some explanation for what happened. Not to mention there's gameplay of them fighting in different areas, including the boss fight trailer that got us so many of us interested in the game to begin with..

wow didn't know this

wondering if the gameplay for each one will be different, if thats thecase then the demo really can't sell you on what's there as well?

Who's to say? 9S is a scouter, which implies that he's less of a physical threat compared to 2B, so I wouldn't be surprised if he fought differently, or made use of the mech more. No idea on A2, but her being an outdated model that appears to be in isolation makes me feel that she'll fight in a more... savage manner? At the very least, I expect their animations to be quite different from 2B. They're very intent on keeping the story under wraps, so we likely won't see gameplay of them anytime soon, if at all.

I wonder if playing as them involves New Game +, or if you just simply switch and play as them during certain parts of the story. Also wonder if we keep stuff like our levels and the weapons we have on us at the time. Ah, so much of this game is a mystery lol

Top Bottom