• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

X-Factor

My comparison screenshots of NieR Automata on PS4 Pro vs PS4 standard.

I used the same Elgato HD60s capture device on both systems.

PS4 Pro - (1080p native resolution /60 frames per second, motion blur on character, I prefer motion blur off personally, but there is no option to turn it off in this demo):

6gAUAon.png

PS4 standard version - (900p native resolution /60 frames per second/ a lot more aliasing) :

p4qgZDx.png

PS4 Pro:
tDfzZew.png

PS4 regular:

2Gsil9Y.png

PS4 Pro (see differences in edge smoothness):

KbfekkC.png

PS4 regular:

JO73GfV.png

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Tried the demo over the weekend. I liked it so far, so I'll definitely keep an eye out for this game when it's released.

The combat feels good so far, and the changes in camera seem like they took a page from Mario Galaxy. Having the pod shoot for you is an interesting take on the DMC/Bayonetta gun + sword thing, since it means you can continuously shoot while meleeing. Infinite dodge reminds me of chain parries in MGR.

I didn't really like the boss though, because you spend most of the fight waiting for the boss to do something so that you can do something besides shoot at it endlessly.

RPGCrazied

Played it tonight. Really cool demo. I really don't like how they kept the translucent bars during cutscenes. I didn't like it in the first Nier, don't like it now. Oh well.

Still will buy. Now remaster the first game!

Smo21

So I recently was pointed towards nier2.com which has a lot of the ancillary side content available (novella, plays etc.) What's important to nier automata?

I want to replay the demo now. I was doing some pretty cool combos already in the 1 playthrough I did, but the people really digging in have gotten so much further.

Cant believe I'm excited for an action RPG based on the gameplay

Hektor

So I recently was pointed towards nier2.com which has a lot of the ancillary side content available (novella, plays etc.) What's important to nier automata?

Only thing you want to read is the Yorha Stageplay summary and maybe a summary of the OG Nier in case you haven't played it.

Everything else only if you really wanna engross yourself in the larger universe.

Smo21

Only thing you want to read is the Yorha Stageplay summary and maybe a summary of the OG Nier in case you haven't played it.

Everything else only if you really wanna engross yourself in the larger universe.
Watched some summary videos for drakengard 1 and am partway through nier now. Gonna watch a video for drakengard 3 after. Thanks. It sucks they're isn't a collector's book or something they'd release in North America

Hypron

Fuck sake Play Asia cancelled my order for Nier 1 (PS3 version) because they're out of stock.

Can't seem to find it for less than NZ$70 which is just insane for an old ass game like that.

Nier related query - does anyone know who/what/when/where this from? Not really any unknown character spoilers, but I'll tag in case -
it's a version of Emil's Karma theme I haven't heard before?
Is it from that recent live blu-ray recording, or from one of the previous concerts? One of the trailers I've missed? I'm assuming it isn't a fanmade thing (or is an extremely professional fan-made thing that sounds 100% on point). I can't find anything similar on Youtube. At any rate, whatever it is, just thought I'd link to it because it's breathtaking.

...the lesson I've learnt from this is forgoing productivity and surfing Nier fan tumblrs rewards me with beautiful arrangements. Lesson learned, see ya, productivity.

Palmer27

Downloading this shit now - still not clear if this is coming day one for pc?

Btw, does this feel like another transformers/tmnt platinum commission job or something more interesting? Or is the bare platinum action foundation enough when combined with the awesome ideas of Nier?

Squire

Banned

Please post anything else you find that's good!

Btw, does this feel like another transformers/tmnt platinum commission job or something more interesting? Or is the bare platinum action foundation enough when combined with the awesome ideas of Nier?

This is probably going to be PGs best game since Bayonetta 2. Definitely doesn't seem to be another Activision job to keep the lights on.

Hektor

Platinum Games were the ones asking for this IP, not the other way around.

FrankWza

I actually enjoyed transormers. I only went through it once because im trying to clear the backlog but id go back to it again.

leng jai

Anyone else worried this is going to be nowhere near as good as the original in terms of story and music? Obviously the gameplay will be solid.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Caim + pointless violence is the true OTP.

DG1 spoilers I guess
wasn't the whole point of that suicide scene that Furiae's love was completely one sided?

Phil Fish

Banned
Caim + pointless violence is the true OTP.

DG1 spoilers I guess
wasn't the whole point of that suicide scene that Furiae's love was completely one sided?

The Japanese version makes it more apparent of the following:

Furiae wants to fuck Caim, Manah exposes Furiae's love interest in front of Caim, then Caim gets disgusted by the thought. She can't handle the embarrassment and ends up killing herself.

Finally got to this. Controls are silky smooth. The camera is mostly very good too. Didn't get enough of a sense of 2B and 9S, but the robot designs are cool, and the world has the right bleak feel to follow on Nier.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Anyone else worried this is going to be nowhere near as good as the original in terms of story and music? Obviously the gameplay will be solid.

I don't think we have to worry about that. Music already sounds great to me.

javac

Just played the Nier demo, thought it was terrible. Today I learned and came at peace with the fact that that I don't like Platinum Games at all.

So does anyone have a good recommendation for a Drakengard 1 Let's Play where someone reads the text?

God help me if I restart my copy and go back to those controls after this.

jacobeid

Banned
This seriously only took 30 seconds of the demo to sell me on it. This game shot up to damn near the top of my most anticipated list tonight.

longdi

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELH88sMQw1w

Simply amazed at what is possible in this demo.

That is a huge step up from Drakengard 3, which was already some step up from Nier.

However like past Mikami games, the enemies are not fighting back.... I hope Automata will also have aggressive enemies instead of passive ones that let you do combo show-off.

Btw will papa nier make an appearance in Automata? Will be weird for new gamers to ask what is a 'Ni-er'?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
That is a huge step up from Drakengard 3, which was already some step up from Nier.

However like past Mikami games, the enemies are not fighting back.... I hope Automata will also have aggressive enemies instead of passive ones that let you do combo show-off.

Btw will papa nier make an appearance in Automata? Will be weird for new gamers to ask what is a 'Ni-er'?

Well of course the level 1 fodder enemies aren't fighting back the bigger ones don't really take as much stun as the tinier ones so I imagine it'll be more difficult to do longer combos with larger and higher level enemies.

And there is no indication that Nier will show up only Emil and the rest of the returning cast in the character trailer.

Top Bottom