• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

Squire

Banned
So, being familiar with Taro's works... Am I the only one who thinks this isn't going to be much of a Taro game?

The YoRHa play that this is based on doesn't seem very Taro to me, and this looks like a much more risky, bigger budget, more heavily advertised game. I feel like Square wouldn't want to take that route with this one.

The demo also gave me more Platinum vibes than it did Taro vibes but that might just be a demo thing.

Demo is wonderful, too. Plays pretty much like the MGR sequel I wanted.

Self-deprecating as he is, I don't think anyone should buy into the idea Yoko's presence as director/writer on this game won't be felt. I think it's going to be his story and vision with what PG believed passes for good gameplay combined with a few convention breaking monkey wrenches from Yoko.

Self-deprecating as he is, I don't think anyone should buy into the idea Yoko's presence as director/writer on this game won't be felt. I think it's going to be his story and vision with what PG believed passes for good gameplay combined with a few convention breaking monkey wrenches from Yoko.
The thing is, YoRHa is also a Taro work and it seems to me like a comparatively conventional story.

I think that people think Taro is incapable of telling a more conventional story and that might just be the way Taro will screw with your expectations this time.

Last time Taro tried to tell a conventional story we got Nier.

I don't expect nor want Automata to go full Drakengard. But some kind of Yoko Taro weirdness is expected.

Baalzebup

What if the Yoko Taro twist this time around is the total lack of Yoko Taro twists? In a way, that would be the biggest shock of them all :p

Monocle

That's a convoluted way to take a swipe at Platinum's consistently awesome combat. Or that's how it reads, anyway.

Hektor

So, being familiar with Taro's works... Am I the only one who thinks this isn't going to be much of a Taro game?

It's the only fear i have about this game, but i remain confident it's not gonna be the case. At least the ending of the demo felt very much like what i'd expect.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It's the only fear i have about this game, but i remain confident it's not gonna be the case. At least the ending of the demo felt very much like what i'd expect.

I expect it to be the most Yoko Taro game ever. Actually being backed by a quality team should allow him more latitude to work on the stuff he does best, as opposed to firefighting/ explaining to production why its running like a dog.

I suspect there are very good reasons why they've remained so tight-lipped on the story aspects up to now also; I'd also suggest people note the differences between the few cut-scenes shown in the trailers and how they appear in the demo... Could be just for rating purposes, but...

convo

The YoRHa play that this is based on doesn't seem very Taro to me, and this looks like a much more risky, bigger budget, more heavily advertised game. I feel like Square wouldn't want to take that route with this one.

The demo also gave me more Platinum vibes than it did Taro vibes but that might just be a demo thing.

Demo is wonderful, too. Plays pretty much like the MGR sequel I wanted.

Taro managed to end the DEMO of the game with everyone on screen dying, bitch please. 20 minutes to get there, how does he do that?
You haven't been spoiled on certain story details that came from famitsu stuff that makes it apparent that hope for humanity is not part of this game either.

Shin-chan

Is there any confirmation that the Japanese version will have full English text? Because I'll buy that when it releases here if I can instead of waiting for the UK version to drop.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Is there any confirmation that the Japanese version will have full English text? Because I'll buy that when it releases here if I can instead of waiting for the UK version to drop.

The japanese demo has japanese voice and japanese text as well as english voice and english text, just like WW version

Mupod

I looked up fanart of this game. Never have I seen a collection of fanart with such a singular focus.

YGWql7Q.png

Anyways, my friend has dug his 360 and copy of Nier out of the closet to finally play it. I have an unopened copy from a bargain bin that I've never played. Our plan is to start it at the same time in preparation for this game, assuming my 360 actually turns on (haven't used it in years).

Ydelnae

Finally got around to play the demo. It was amazing. The UI design is beautiful. I haven't played any of the Nier universe games before so I didn't quite get the story, but the ending sequence left me impressed.

Platinum and S-E seem to be a perfect pairing. I noticed how many assets were reused in the level design and it didn't even bug me, it felt natural. I think that Platinum can manage to produce quality games with not that big of a budget.

I don't think that I will buy the game day one because I have too many games to play and Persona 5 releases around that time, but I look forward to playing this next summer.

Inuhanyou

Finally got around to play the demo. It was amazing. The UI design is beautiful. I haven't played any of the Nier universe games before so I didn't quite get the story, but the ending sequence left me impressed.

Don't worry about it. Even if you played a Yoko Taro game before you would not get the story.

This is supposed to be semi self contained anyway

sensui-tomo

Don't worry about it. Even if you played a Yoko Taro game before you would not get the story.

This is supposed to be semi self contained anyway

I still say they should either take a day and read the huge info dumps/ watch a lp for D1,3, Nier since this game has story elements from those 3 games. ( I think they always try to stay away from D2)

Hektor

I still say they should either take a day and read the huge info dumps/ watch a lp for D1,3, Nier since this game has story elements from those 3 games. ( I think they always try to stay away from D2)

Yeah, D2 wasn't written by Yoko Taro and continued from a different D1 timeline than Nier did, so it's basically canon-but-not-really

Gbraga

I expect it to be the most Yoko Taro game ever. Actually being backed by a quality team should allow him more latitude to work on the stuff he does best, as opposed to firefighting/ explaining to production why its running like a dog.

I suspect there are very good reasons why they've remained so tight-lipped on the story aspects up to now also; I'd also suggest people note the differences between the few cut-scenes shown in the trailers and how they appear in the demo... Could be just for rating purposes, but...

Yeah. I'm not gonna say that I have no worries at all, but to me, if this doesn't feel like one of his games, he's the one to blame. He even went on record saying how in previous titles they had to change a lot of the story concepts because the team couldn't develop them in a proper way, and this time around he comes up with something and a couple of weeks later it's already running.

So, if he's straight up saying that this team is great and can implement all of his whacky ideas, I think there's no doubt that the lack of them will be purely his choice, rather than Platinum putting too much of them in the game, and clouding Yoko's vision.

There was even that thing about him asking the team to write weapon stories, and Taura saying they wouldn't, that he didn't want to mess with his story, and Yoko should be the one writing all of them. The team definitely respects his work.

Inuhanyou

we saw 2B unblindfolded in the first trailer.

In the game, seeing her unblindfolded generally speaking is probably going to be a character defining moment

TissueBox

we saw 2B unblindfolded in the first trailer.

In the game, seeing her unblindfolded generally speaking is probably going to be a character defining moment

Yeah could imagine something like that. Should be interesting to see.

In the meantime I should really stop playing this demo. Sometimes I just come back to it to play 5 minutes and then quit lol. It's just such a nice-feeling action game....and is coming out in 3 months...>_<

sensui-tomo

Yeah could imagine something like that. Should be interesting to see.

In the meantime I should really stop playing this demo. Sometimes I just come back to it to play 5 minutes and then quit lol. It's just such a nice-feeling action game....and is coming out in 3 months...>_<

You could import it in feb, assuming the game is like the demo in which it has the multiple audio and sub tracks.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So, if he's straight up saying that this team is great and can implement all of his whacky ideas, I think there's no doubt that the lack of them will be purely his choice, rather than Platinum putting too much of them in the game, and clouding Yoko's vision.

Well in the Edge interview Saito mentions he's never seen Yoko so happy with a project, so...

Also in that interview there's mention of wacky stuff like hidden treasures indicated by ultra-high frequency tones that only young people can hear, that Yoko can't hear them himself apparently amuses him greatly!

Then there's stuff like the "Android Report" thing that they accidentally revealed in one of the streams that appears to work somewhat like Dark Souls' bloodstain system... except with more customizable messages.

TissueBox

You could import it in feb, assuming the game is like the demo in which it has the multiple audio and sub tracks.

Oh yeah that's right!! As long as they have eng. subs I'm good to go, lol. Not to be knockin the English VAs but I think I'm already used to Mikasa battling robots lol. Perfect imo. Fingers crossed..!

Gbraga

Well in the Edge interview Saito mentions he's never seen Yoko so happy with a project, so...

Also in that interview there's mention of wacky stuff like hidden treasures indicated by ultra-high frequency tones that only young people can hear, that Yoko can't hear them himself apparently amuses him greatly!

Then there's stuff like the "Android Report" thing that they accidentally revealed in one of the streams that appears to work somewhat like Dark Souls' bloodstain system... except with more customizable messages.

WHAT THE FUCK

HAHAHAHAHA

This sounds amazing!

So, how old can you be and still listen to it? Is there a link to this interview?

Also really interesting about the Android Report thing. The level design had some Souls similarities already, this definitely makes it seem like it was very much intentional.

sensui-tomo

Would anything prevent me from buying the japanese version from the JPN PSN store via wallet cards?

i'm afraid i dont know what wallet cards are, but if you mean just buying the japanese version with a japanese CC/ japanese psn cards, then nothing. BUT i'd make sure the game does have the subs/dubs (if dub matters) before making the purchase. Since the demo has it i'm sure the game does, but again never can be too sure. Better safe than sorry.

Hektor

i'm afraid i dont know what wallet cards are, but if you mean just buying the japanese version with a japanese CC/ japanese psn cards, then nothing. BUT i'd make sure the game does have the subs/dubs (if dub matters) before making the purchase. Since the demo has it i'm sure the game does, but again never can be too sure. Better safe than sorry.

PSN cards is what i meant. That's great to hear, even if that means i might triple dip on this game in the process. Fingers be crossed.

Crayon

We ad a supposedly horrible squeal coming from a piece of equipment on a job. Once we figured out that only the younger people could hear it, we considered it fixed.

Baalzebup

Considering everything that is in the Eurogamer article from October, last year, I think it is pretty safe to expect a good amount of Yoko Taro -brand of crazy.
"I really want to keep that turnaround of surprises for the player in Nier 2. I like doing new things, and I'm going try and experiment and add something new and different. It may fail, it may not be received well, but I really want to add that and create that uniqueness. Maybe I should make a really boring, tedious game. They'd be surprised by that instead!"
"It's interesting," Taro chimes in. "All the time I spent on the original getting angry at the development team, obviously Platinum's removed that by working so well, so I spend that time drinking. In the end it hasn't really changed how much work I do. But when I drink I make better games, so that's okay."
I think we're good.

Drakengard really has nothing to do with nier honestly, it's a spinoff in the loosest sense (unless there is something specific to this game that connected to 1 or 3 that I missed). The only game people need to look at is 1, and even if you don't this one will more than likely play with those new players anyway.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
WHAT THE FUCK

HAHAHAHAHA

This sounds amazing!

So, how old can you be and still listen to it? Is there a link to this interview?

Also really interesting about the Android Report thing. The level design had some Souls similarities already, this definitely makes it seem like it was very much intentional.

The interview and a whole bunch of interesting stuff is found here.

What happened in Drakengard 3?
uh, I beat it, and im still not quite sure, but heres an attempt at a rundown from memory

A sexually charged woman with a parasitic flower taking over her body that threatens to destroy the whole world if it and the sisters that it created arent destroyed. So she goes on a sociopathic rampage murdering her sisters and stealing their sex slaves for herself. This culminates in the dragon friend (did I mention she has a dragon friend) fighting her as a giant flower made up of the main character and all her sisters in a rhythm game battle. A group of timeline hopping androids watches over everything.

Demo looks insane. Never played any of the previous games, so know nothing about this series. Will this game be straight out action like it is in the demo or does this game have RPG elements also?

Hektor

Demo looks insane. Never played any of the previous games, so know nothing about this series. Will this game be straight out action like it is in the demo or does this game have RPG elements also?

It's got an Open World, sidequests, fishing minigames and the likes, as well as a skillsystem (you can already see that one if you look up the menu)

Memento

Something I didnt particulary liked in this demo was the narrative sequence.

I mean, she just met the boy, chat with him exactly twice and 5 minutes later she cares for him like he is the most important person in her life. Wtf? The scene in the end with both *supposedly* sacrificing themselves together was so ridiculous.

I am not familiar with the story in these games, but I remember reading a lot of praise here in GAF for Nier 1's story. So I was kind of shocked.

I mean, she just met the boy, chat with him exactly twice and 5 minutes later she cares for him like he is the most important person in her life. Wtf? The scene in the end with both *supposedly* sacrificing themselves together was so ridiculous.

I am not familiar with the story in these games, but I remember reading a lot of praise here in GAF for Nier 1's story. So I was kind of shocked.

Emotions aren't allowed.

Soriku

Nier 1 had the same shit lmao

Baalzebup

See, to me, this is kind of reading both too much and too little into the narrative. For one, they sacrificed together because it took two to start the black box reaction. Then there is the whole "emotions are prohibited" which is clearly just a directive given in an attempt to keep the androids "professional" since they actually seem to be pretty emotional entities. They are, as 9S said himself, soldiers fighting a war and camaraderie among fellow soldiers can be pretty damn high. Soldiers risk life and limb to save wounded fellow soldiers and facing certain death, most certainly would pick the option that takes the opposition with them as well.

Top Bottom