• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

They are releasing very close to each other. Will only pick one and from the demos Ni-Oh is the better choice.

Nioh did nothing for me. I'm all over nier though. Different Strokes, bud. Also, you know it's possible for both games to do well, right?

God I hope the NieR-ness is on full display in the full game, there's gonna be a lot of very confused people thinking they're buying some Platinum action game and then everything is depressing and fucked up. And is also a weird genre-bending RPG.

Like, I hope there's a quest like the one early-ish in the first NieR, where an old man asks you to find his dog, who went outside the city.
You find the dog's body surrounded by Shades, and the dog has a medicinal herb in its mouth. When you go to tell the old man what happened, you find a relative instead, who says that old man's heart gave out, since he didn't have any of his medicine.
It's the "oh okay that's what this game is gonna be" moment.

I was not a fan of the demo, maybe in the minority. Camera was iffy, lock on was not a fan of, combat seemed ok, not great. May go with Nioh depending how it turns out.

Hate game were loot is on just a linear path and right in front of you instead of exploration, seems a lot of Japanese games are like this.

Enjoyed the demo though I'm not a fan of the camera as is, not really a fan of how the lock on works, and thought both boss fights were pretty meh and loosey goosey. The straight up combat is pretty solid though and the variety and switching to bullet hell is pretty nice for the variety. Very interested in seeing how that expands.

Finally played this - WOW! My backlog for the PS4 is getting longer and longer.
I was thinking the same thing. I was originally going to buy Horizon, Gravity Rush 2, and The Last Gaurdian (I haven't played it yet). Now after playing this demo I have to add Nier to my list. PS4 has a fantastic start to 2017.

DJChuy

Loved the demo. The combat is very fun and gets crazy. Camera is a pain at times, and shooting makes ordinary battles easy. Despite that, I enjoyed the demo. This was already going to be day 1 for me.

Staf

Holy shit, this game was completely off my radar. I love Bayonetta 2 so this looks like my shit. But it's coming out around the same time as Horizon and Torment, gonna be rough...

Kssio_Aug

Just played the demo, and holly fuck that's amazing!!

I think I loved every single aspect of it. The art direction is great, everythnig feels so unreal in a good way (like a crazy dream). The gameplay is ACE! Platinum is showing once again that they know how to do a good action game!

I really liked the perspective changes (besides sometimes actually willing to have a nearer camera angle) and the gameplay mix which you sometimes have to melee enemies and sometimes avoid bullets and shoot back!

The boss of the demo was also crazy and awesome! The characters are intriguing!

Loved it! Everything about it! Definitely on my wishlist now!

God I hope the NieR-ness is on full display in the full game, there's gonna be a lot of very confused people thinking they're buying some Platinum action game and then everything is depressing and fucked up. And is also a weird genre-bending RPG.

Like, I hope there's a quest like the one early-ish in the first NieR, where an old man asks you to find his dog, who went outside the city.
You find the dog's body surrounded by Shades, and the dog has a medicinal herb in its mouth. When you go to tell the old man what happened, you find a relative instead, who says that old man's heart gave out, since he didn't have any of his medicine.
It's the "oh okay that's what this game is gonna be" moment.
I'm legit laughing so hard at people who never played the first nier game not knowing what they're getting into

shall be glorious

Exentryk

Keep trying new things, people:

giphy.gif

Kssio_Aug

I'm legit laughing so hard at people who never played the first nier game not knowing what they're getting into

shall be glorious

Never played Nier cause I couldn't find it to buy when I had a PS3. I was very interested in the game and heard about the vibe of it though... it may be pretty intense.

Vasili2K38

Keep trying new things, people

Just yesterday I discover that little hidden path. Also trying new details of the combat system, I used customised controls and I changed L1 -> Evade, R1 -> Pod Program and R2 -> Shoot, and I'm able to combo and also keep shooting the enemies.

Ruff

I haven't played the demo since the PS4 is at the SOs house gathering dust, would people say the combat feel is closer to Bayo or MGR when it's actually being played? (Only two plat games i've tried)

Squire

Banned
I haven't played the demo since the PS4 is at the SOs house gathering dust, would people say the combat feel is closer to Bayo or MGR when it's actually being played? (Only two plat games i've tried)

In terms of the moves you're doing and the amount of them, MGR is a good comparison. At the same time though, it's as responsive as Bayonetta is and you can abuse the dodge (there's no penalty animation to stop that like in Bayo).

Ruff

In terms of the moves you're doing and the amount of them, MGR is a good comparison. At the same time though, it's as responsive as Bayonetta is and you can abuse the dodge (there's no penalty animation to stop that like in Bayo).

That sounds like literally the perfect mix of the two games I was hoping for. Definitely checking it out now!

Should I play Nier before I play this or are they only really connected by the world they share?

afaik, it's unclear at this point, but the director has stated that people who played the previous game will be more confused than people who are new to the series. What that actually means is anyone's guess.

longdi

Banned
Anyone pulled the camera further back? I did and it seems easier to see your enemies and the auto cam becomes less a bother

Ghazi

Anyone pulled the camera further back? I did and it seems easier to see your enemies and the auto cam becomes less a bother
I didn't even realize that was an option, seems like it could be a problem when the camera zooms far away on its own though no?

Exentryk

It feels as smooth as butter. And this is just a demo with two weapons and no real special abilities. I'm dying to see what people can do in this game after 10-15 hours of playtime.

Endless air combos with slowdown skills, flying from one enemy to another via the rope skill, etc., is going to be loads to fun:

fKDwVQm.gif

7clRJnh.gif

Exentryk

I wonder if 2 weapon sets is going to be the limit. I wouldn't mind a 3rd set to play around with.
I think it's perfect right now. You also have to think about button mappings, and having another set would ideally need a new button. I am already trying to find good spots for pod left and pod right (them being on the dpad is not going to cut it).

Slixshot

Banned
Hmmm, Just tried the demo. Definitely had a Platinum vibe goin for it. Thought it was ok. Didn't do a great job explaining much. Don't think I'm day 1 because of everything else around the time, but I'll keep it on my radar.

They are doin the SE thing of encouraging double dippers
and I fell for it...I was just going to wait until the PC release. But after playing the demo I wanted it so bad I ordered the PS4 CE. Now I know I'll end up buying it again on PC so I can play it on my 4K TV at 4K for some screenshots

balohna

I had basically no interest in this game, but tried the demo out of curiosity. It sold me on the game... unless it gets terrible reviews or something.

I've never played Nier but I watched an entire walkthrough a bit fast forward because I never got back into it back in the day.

My questions are now. Nier seems more like an open world kinda thing. Where Nier Automata feels like Metal Gear Rising level design.

Don't get me wrong I like the Rising/Devil May Cry gameplay but I don't like the linear level designs.

Or is it just the demo that it gave me this feels. And the actually game would be similar to Nier level design wise?

I've never played Nier but I watched an entire walkthrough a bit fast forward because I never got back into it back in the day.

My questions are now. Nier seems more like an open world kinda thing. Where Nier Automata feels like Metal Gear Rising level design.

Don't get me wrong I like the Rising/Devil May Cry gameplay but I don't like the linear level designs.

Or is it just the demo that it gave me this feels. And the actually game would be similar to Nier level design wise?
from what we know, the game should be pretty open like Nier was. However I havent played Nier yet

Baalzebup

NieR also had very linear dungeons and what was on display on the demo was one of those dungeons. The world / level design should indeed be very similar to NieR. The more open world locales have been featured in multiple trailers and streams.

Top Bottom