• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Fire

I need more reviews! I'm so hyped for this game . I really hope this doesn't get buried
It will 😔
I hope I can finish Horizon before this

I think releasing alongside AAAA games might have actually been a good idea. No one else wanted to compete with HoriZelda, and no else is getting the under the radar buzz that NieR is getting.

And, most importantly, NieR is releasing on PC while the other two are exclusives.

Anoxida

Shocked at these scores. I love the game but thought reviewers would nit pick about some stuff. Nice!

Edit: Oh it's only 4 reviews. Guess we'll see then.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
At least Neir isn't open world. I don't have time for all these games yo

Nier and Nier Automata are both technically 'open world'

This is not your typical linear platinum game with bad storytelling and a focus on QTE's and cinematic setpieces. As a sacrifice, it does not have the combat variety of previous high end platinum titles either but considering it was never intended to have that, the impact isn't big.

pezzie

I know it feels like it's going to get buried under the heavy hitters, but I'm still hoping Nier Automata sells well. The Japanese reception is off to a great start. It definitely deserves more recognition than being a casualty of releasing after Horizon and Zelda, and before Mass Effect.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Nier and Nier Automata are both technically 'open world'

This is not your typical linear platinum game with bad storytelling and a focus on QTE's and cinematic setpieces. As a sacrifice, it does not have the combat variety of previous high end platinum titles either but considering it was never intended to have that, the impact isn't big.

NieR 1 is kinda like FFXII. Open world but it has transitions.

NieR Automata on the other hand is transitionless.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Seriously. What is going on with 2017? It's just one hit after another.

Since June 2016 we've been getting lots of good games (well for me since I love JRPGs).

I'm guessing next year will be dry as hell, heh.

Crayon

Yeah life is good. I'll be trying to go back and play nioh, Yakuza and gravity rush sometime this year.

Can we just appreciate that - for however long it lasts - this was a legitimate thing that happened?

coWx2OM.png

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
When is the review embargo up for Western reviewers?

Very excited for this game. And happy to see the positive early reports. I have a Black Box coming to me next week. But ill probably start the game late seeing ill be busy with Zelda for a bit.

Crossing fingers the game keeps reviewing well and sells well. :)

Finalow

it won't last, but - as someone who's almost done with the game - I think it definitely deserves those scores, if not higher ones.

they went as far as telling the player to keep playing after the first ending because there is a lot more to be seen, so one can hope that this game won't get joke reviews from people who barely played it once like Nier did.

Mezoly

The game is going to be swallow by Zelda and Horizon, isnt it? :(

It's doing well on Amazon Best sellers before the eventual reviews bump. I think the demo helped the game a lot. Most games who had a well received demo before release has done well.

Aenima

The game is going to be swallow by Zelda and Horizon, isnt it? :(
Not in my house. I actually was planning in getting Horizon day 1, but then i played the Nier Automata demo and my priorities changed. And with Persona 5 coming next. Horizon will have to wait.
#1stworldproblems

MechaX

I'm calling low to mid 80's in terms of the average, which would be a fucking godsend for a Yoko Taro game.

Hastati

At least Nier is really nothing like Zelda or Horizon, so good reviews should help keep it afloat or slightly drowning amidst the tsunami of great titles (wonder how much BoTW sales will go up from its critical acclaim?).

I really hope this one sells well enough for both Yoko Taro and Platinum.

Also Yoko Taro's tweet is hilarious.

Ninferno

That's like 4 reviews among which two have names containing PSN and DualShockers. So just chill out a bit for now, guys.

badb0y

Wtf another one? How many good PS4 games dropped in like 2 months. Can't they spread this shit out by a few months.

There's nothing I want more right now then it to stay above 80 but I honestly don't expect it. If Nier Automata is just as weird as Nier like what I've been hearing, a lot of reviewers are going to be put off by those bizzare story and design decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom