• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aadiboy

Andy-Dwyer-Shock.gif

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
That's like 4 reviews among which two have names containing PSN and DualShockers. So just chill out a bit for now, guys.

Yeah I think everyone knows there will be a much broader response when all the reviews come out, which is great. It's just funny to see it so highly rated even for a moment considering it was such a surprise the project happened at all. I'm sure they will be more critical reviews coming soon. It'll be good to get a broad range of opinion on it

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Maybe at one time i would have been more cynical, but this is the age of experimental indie type games that push this kind of thing as their MO

Yoko Taro was Japanese Toby Fox before Toby Fox was even a thing!

I feel like Nier has just the right brand of Yoko Taro without going into Drakengard levels of offputting, which is where i think it really gets divisive for a lot of people.

This story is beautiful, tells a message, has excellent twists, music and this time, is not overshadowed by the budget or the gameplay elements which are done by a dev with a track record of very highs, even if they have lows too.

I think this is Yoko Taro's break out hit guys

Dubz

Fuck me. I've bought Yakuza 0, Nioh, Horizon, For Honor, and I swore that I wasn't going to get this at full price. Fuck.

Crayon

Maybe at one time i would have been more cynical, but this is the age of experimental indie type games that push this kind of thing as their MO

I feel like Nier has just the right brand of Yoko Taro without going into Drakengard levels of offputting, which is where i think it really gets divisive for a lot of people.

This story is beautiful, tells a message, has excellent twists, music and this time, is not overshadowed by the budget or the gameplay elements which are done by a dev with a track record of very highs, even if they have lows too.

There's a chance. I hope it is

Fuck me. I've bought Yakuza 0, Nioh, Horizon, For Honor, and I swore that I wasn't going to get this at full price. Fuck.

I thought the same and ended up buying a lot of recently released games at full price... and I think I'll do the same with this one...

I have this, KH collection, and Zero Escape all this month. Not to mention I have to put money away for P5 later in the month because my next payday is way after it releases.
Bloody March.

My only worry sales wise is that nier gets overshadowed by zelda..... but at the same time so many people don't have a wii u and can't afford a switch. A 93 looks really good, and the marketing has been on point. Come on world, lets make yoko taro a household name.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
What if it gets great scores from everyone?

Yeah y'all need to have more faith.

We got games like Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, and Nioh scoring in the 80s and they're all pretty damn niche too.

Inuhanyou

We got games like Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, and Nioh scoring in the 80s and they're all pretty damn niche too.

True.

But YT is the very definition of niche.

Having him of all people have a critically appraised game would make me think we have fully turned a corner somewhere.

This cannot continue

One the reviews sounded like they were trying to say good as bayonetta. And you know great that game scores... MG:R scored well, didn't it? I think it will score good. Real good!

aravuus

Fingers crossed!

bigol

What? It even went up to 94. Still 5 reviews, but i think it's safe to say the game will score higher than 80.
I'm also glad it sold 200.000 copies in Japan.

This is officially the year of games that I didn't give a shit about for years, and then when they come out I want to play them because of rave reviews.

Still wary though. I don't gel with Platinum typically.

UberTag

This is officially the year of games that I didn't give a shit about for years, and then when they come out I want to play them because of rave reviews.

Still wary though. I don't gel with Platinum typically.
Bayonetta 2 not your cup of tea?

OpenCritic is now up to a 93 for this game.
Bayonetta 2 has a 91 score on both Metacritic and OpenCritic.
That's the initial race to watch to see how long NieR: Automata can stay ahead of it.

Persona 5 gets to join this party in a month.
Meanwhile Western gamers will be off playing Ghost Recon: Wildlands and Mass Effect Andromeda and believing they're not missing out on anything.

Moaradin

There's no way this game stays ahead of Bayonetta. Yoko Taro games are just too out there and no matter how good it is, it won't be for everyone. Still, getting in the 80s for this game would be a huge achievement. The first Nier is considered a flawed masterpiece by a lot of people and it's not even close to that score.

Inuhanyou

There's no way this game stays ahead of Bayonetta. Yoko Taro games are just too out there and no matter how good it is, it won't be for everyone. Still, getting in the 80s for this game would be a huge achievement. The first Nier is considered a flawed masterpiece by a lot of people and it's not even close to that score.

technically even bayonetta is divisive for certain reasons..but i also get your point. 80 to 85 is still my final prediction

Trickster

What? It even went up to 94. Still 5 reviews, but i think it's safe to say the game will score higher than 80.
I'm also glad it sold 200.000 copies in Japan.

Not really guaranteed at all tbh. 5 random reviews doesn't mean much

liquidtmd

Banned
After playing and loving the demo, along with having time for only one game at a time, I'm buying this over Horizon this month.

Demo was absolutely my jam

I can't remember the last time I paid 60 bucks each for three games in such a short time.

I wasn't going to get Nier Automata until later in the year when the price drops, but after these reviews and watching half an hour's footage yesterday on the Playstation YouTube channel, I might have to get it on release (even though I won't have time to play it until at least April). It's turning out much better than I had expected.

When was the last time we had such an embarrassment of riches?

If i only had 2017 games on my ps4, by the end of April ill have a dozen odd unfinished games and i could literally pick one blindfolded and itll be awesome.

Inuhanyou

LALALA NOT LISTENING

W0MfY7g.png

Keep this picture in your heart. this is what the game deserves versus the reality that will hit when the other reviews come down. i'll freeze frame it and put it on my wall for preservation xD

SgtCobra

94 is here to stay, don't care what the critics say.

This meme is getting out of hand, can't tell if people are serious or just meming anymore!
If I have to believe these posters then Zelda is on its way to become the best selling game of the year, it's overshadowing everything!
All games involved will be fine, Zelda will sell millions, Horizon too and Nier will put up some respectable numbers.

No need to "feel sad".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom