• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milijango

Already more perfect scores than Metal Gear Rising.

In all serious my money's on this game ending up in the 87-90 range. It's not as if good Platinum games have never reviewed well before.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
94 based on 5 critics is not even close,my bet is that the final score will be in the 80-85 range.

yes we get it folks lmao, nobody is saying otherwise

Already more perfect scores than Metal Gear Rising.

In all serious my money's on this game ending up in the 87-90 range. It's not as if good Platinum games have never reviewed well before.

This game is much more of a success for Yoko Taro than Platinum, cause he's never had a game reviewed above 70 on meta

And we're not even finished with the quarter of the year yet.

Unfortunately it's near impossible for the later half of the year to release titles that would compare to persona 5, Nier automata and zelda to name a few. 2018 needs some big hitters or it will be considered disappointing. Week left for Nier automata. Slowly getting there.

Not being reviewed by mainstream media sure makes wonders to review score :)

We will see how Polygons of the world butcher the score once they encounter Yoko Taro craziness.

Milijango

Still 5 critics? God damn it Zelda.

Embargo. Any reviews up now specify purchasing the game from Japanese storefronts so it doesn't apply to them. Don't know when it's supposed to lift though.

Unfortunately it's near impossible for the later half of the year to release titles that would compare to persona 5, Nier automata and zelda to name a few. 2018 needs some big hitters or it will be considered disappointing. Week left for Nier automata. Slowly getting there.

There could still be Red Dead. I want to believe.

Rckstar

Calling 85!

Still not sure if i should get the game and risk to lose all the respect my gf has for me 🤔

Hektor

LALALA NOT LISTENING

W0MfY7g.png

Wait for it to be temporarily on par with Zelda before it drops down again #Believe #ThisTrainHasNoBrakes

Mario and RDR2 would be enough for me, so YMMV.

aravuus

Under 90? Pfft, so not going to happen

I really, truly couldn't care less about metascores myself, but I have to say it'd be really cool to see Nier's stay above 90 cause I'm sure that'd make Yoko Taro super happy. I want him to be happy and I want him to get his breakout game.

Then we'd get more weird reaction videos from him.

taoofjord

I'm betting it'll land between 78-82. I've been playing the JP version and LOVING it, but I really don't see it scoring super high marks. Beyond some of its flaws, I doubt most reviewers will get more than one ending.

This is a great moment in time.

The calm before the Western press who think of polish, budget and staying safe as more important knock the games score down for bizarre reasons.

UrbanRats

This is a great moment in time.

The calm before the Western press who think of polish, budget and staying safe as more important knock the games score down for bizarre reasons.

Dat damage control.

Listen, the fact of the matter is, you do weird niche games, you're going to get a niche audience.
It's just how it works.

V_Arnold

Dat damage control.

Listen, the fact of the matter is, you do weird niche games, you're going to get a niche audience.
It's just how it works.

Though its not about being niche or not, its about being conditioned to only praise (and score high) games that are designed a very specific and very "streamlined" (barfs) way.

LotusHD

Banned
Oh 94 huh. This is a super tiny, tiny, tiny version of what's going on in the Zelda thread, where you just wanna see it hold because of how cool it would be lmao

addik

Dat damage control.

It's just how it works.

The problem with Nier is not necessarily that it's niche, but with how the story and game are set up in a way that replaying/playing NG+ is absolutely necessary. Going through the game once could be quite underwhelming as the good stuff is placed after several playthroughs (with each playthrough being quite different.) Some reviewers might miss this and give the game a low score for being underwhelming.

I think there's one Polish reviewer who gave this game a low score but he was only basing it from finishing the game's first ending, which is actually only half of what the game has yet to offer

mankoto

My only real concern here is that most of these reviewers won't get to Route C/D since on a surface level Route B is just NG+

JBwB

85-89 metacritic score is what I'm expecting after the dust settles.

Way too many games this month to play so I won't be buying this till April alongside Persona 5.

UrbanRats

Though its not about being niche or not, its about being conditioned to only praise (and score high) games that are designed a very specific and very "streamlined" (barfs) way.
Thats why it's niche.
Niche is a gradient, Dark Souls is more niche than Skyrim, but not as niche as Dwarf Fortress.

Accessibility plays a big part, but a peculiar tone or story elements also contribute.

Bland, accessible, safe art, will be easier to digest from a wider spectrum of people, exactly because it's inoffensive and probably not very challenging.

Therefore, a well polished but safer product will have an easier time appealing to a larger audience (of which mainstream game reviewers are a part of).
Familiarity is an element of comfort, that makes it easy to digest and appreciate by anyone.

Not saying Nier is so absurd only a subset of a subset may like it, but it does have very specific quirks to it, and it's value resides in elements harder to easily digest conpared to something like Hirizon (meta humor, playing with gaming tropes, weird ass stories, etc).

GrayChild

A review in progress, where no score is given yet. However the reviewer is very positive about the game, having played only 10 hours:

http://jrpg.moe/nier-automata-review/

I’m going to hold off on giving it a final score until I’ve seen just how weird things can get in the many alternate routes, but NieR: Automata gets a huge thumbs up. Seeing the first real ending of the game only took me around ten hours, but they were ten unforgettable hours that were stuffed with set pieces and emotional scenes. Yoko Taro’s wild ideas and Platinum’s workmanlike approach to action game design are a match made in heaven.

AEdouard

I liked the demo: creative, nice looking and smooth, great controls. My only gripe is that I'm not a fan of the "waves of enemies in a room" sequences. Is that super present throughout the game or do they layoff that a bit?

pezzie

Apparently one beneficial side effect to having the review thread go up early are the people that come in, look at the score, go DAYAM and go order the game. Cause lol.

I liked the demo: creative, nice looking and smooth, great controls. My only gripe is that I'm not a fan of the "waves of enemies in a room" sequences. Is that super present throughout the game or do they layoff that a bit?

There are certainly places like that in dungeons, but the bulk of the game is more relaxed open world RPG stuff.

AEdouard

Apparently one beneficial side effect to having the review thread go up early are the people that come in, look at the score, go DAYAM and go order the game. Cause lol.

There are certainly places like that in dungeons, but the bulk of the game is more relaxed open world RPG stuff.

Cool, sold. Thx!

Still not many reviews yet, guess people are still playing Zelda. Seems positive so far though and is another game I'm looking forward to playing, this year...... just so awesome.

UberTag

My only real concern here is that most of these reviewers won't get to Route C/D since on a surface level Route B is just NG+
I'm sure folks had the same concerns about a game like Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors reviewing well for much the same reason... and yet it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom