• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Big Announcement on Monday

MrV4ltor

You guys really need to keep your expectations in check.
NX isn't going to be announced without an event where journos can have some hands-on time with the system and they've said that they won't announce it before 2016 numerous times. Kimishima just said it again in his recent TIME interview IIRC.
It's not going to be some big first party game announcement out of nowhere. That's not how Nintendo handles those huge announcements and we all know it. Wait till E3 for something like Retro's new game.
This is what I think we can expect:

Best Case:
Minecraft Wii U officially announced
Nintendo Blog launched overseas
Smash Direct date

Middle Ground:
Multiple smaller indie announcements

Worst Case (But still good to me):
Big eShop holiday sale
Second Humble Bundle

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My prediction:

Massive disappointment due to unreasonable overhype. It happens nearly every time on here.

I don't think we should limit ourselves to indie stuff just because Damon Baker said it. Yes, he is the indie guy, but he would know what is going on in Nintendo as a whole, especially if it is something big as he says it is. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe they were explicitly talking about indie games when he said this.

Don't get me wrong, it could be an indie game. And I'm not saying you should hype yourselves out for anything else (that Keighley "new Nintendo stuff" gaff still hurts). But I don't think we should necessarily say it has to be indie related.

Also, this may be me going full conspiracy-mode and looking too deep into it, but the word "happening" sticks out to me. "Something is happening." What could be happening...

Seik

Banned
Please be the Smash news with the announcement of a physical version of Smash U with all the DLC on disc.

I bought all the DLC already, but this need to happen, for history, the roster is now way too good for it not to exist.

UberTag

Perhaps they'll just announce that they've changed their restrictive inventory practices and will ensure that everyone that wants to buy their products has the chance to buy their products. That would be a game changer worthy of "big" hype to me.

I want them to show whatever it is, and explain why we should be so excited. I hate those half baked announcements that don't really tell us anything juicy. We need something to really get excited about, and Nintendo, when they take the right approach, does that better than just about anyone in the industry.

llehuty

It seems like it's going to be Minecraft U. Quoting a TOPHATANT123 comment from Nintendo World Report's telethon article (highlight, mine):

TOPHATANT123 said:
I'm inclined to believe megaton monday is actually Minecraft Monday. From what I remember the conversation sort of went like...

Daan: So Damon now that we are reaching the end of the segment what can you tell us about what fans have to look forward to in 2016 and 2017?

Damon: Well I can't actually remember what we have announced and what we don't (chuckles) so let's see, in the immediate future we have Hyrule Warriors Legends and Final Fantasy Explorers, in terms of indies there's Rive...

Daan: Oh my gosh I love Rive, at E3 I sat down with the developers and played it for like an hour.

Damon: Next week we have Fast Racing Neo and Steamworld Heist. Also look forward to Monday.

Neal: What's Monday?

Damon: Just look forward to it.

Neal: What time?

Damon: Ummm, (can't remember might of been like 2 or 5 pm)o'clock.

Neal: Which timezone?

Damon: Hmm, that would be your timezone Daan.

Where does Daan live you ask? Well in the Netherlands on the CET time zone. You know what else is on the CET timezone? Sweden. Which is where Mojang (aka Minecraft) is located. Unless my memory is mistaken (or Damon Baker was mistaken) it was to be Minecraft Wii U.

If they anounce Mario Minecraft or something like this... MEGATON.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Is there a better version of the podcast available? There's something on the link in the OP, but you can't skip, and there are minutes and minutes of "We're setting the stage, we'll start soon" + chilling music, so it's kind of unbearable to listen to that if you just want to catch the time when Damon speaks about tomorrow's announcement.

You might be surprised to know that a few people out there enjoy the Super Smash Bros. franchise. Particularly those listening to Damon Baker on Nintendo World Report, where the quote originated.

I'm not at all saying that Smash Bros. isn't big. I'm saying that this quote

Damon Baker said:
Monday there’s going to be something… something happening on Monday. It’s going to be big.”

"Stay tuned, it’s going to be good.”

does not describe a tweet that reads, "Tune in to the Smash Bros. Presentation on Wednesday, December 9th!"

I'm not at all saying that Smash Bros. isn't big. I'm saying that this quote

does not describe a tweet that reads, "Tune in to the Smash Bros. Presentation on Wednesday, December 9th!"

Execs tend to hype things like that all the time. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's what this is about. My guess is that it's actually about something related to indies.

georly

Here's my realistic guess: This guy is the indie/3rd party guy. Fast racing neo is coming out this week.

I'm gonna guess it's related to that. My guess:

amiibo-captain-falcon-box-artwork.jpg

spekkeh

Banned
They're going to want to sell as many Wii U's as they can over the holidays, because these months are usually like half of their profits. So they're not going to say anything that would detract from that, i.e. NX related. Here's hoping it's Zelda news though.

(though it's prob Minecraft)

hughesta

Banned
This is gonna be nothing and people are overhyping this. Take it from me, the master of overhyping things for myself.

You guys really need to keep your expectations in check.
NX isn't going to be announced without an event where journos can have some hands-on time with the system and they've said that they won't announce it before 2016 numerous times. Kimishima just said it again in his recent TIME interview IIRC.
It's not going to be some big first party game announcement out of nowhere. That's not how Nintendo handles those huge announcements and we all know it. Wait till E3 for something like Retro's new game.
This is what I think we can expect:

Best Case:
Minecraft Wii U officially announced
Nintendo Blog launched overseas
Smash Direct date

Middle Ground:
Multiple smaller indie announcements

Worst Case (But still good to me):
Big eShop holiday sale
Second Humble Bundle
Yes these are very reasonable and very doable for tomorrow and just what I had in mind we will get.
Great post.

Top Bottom