• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - March 2015

Kssio_Aug

I've got my N3DS today and would like to know about the 1st charge.

I plugged the charge in, but had to take it off before coming to work for some reasons that doesnt matter. Thing is, should I plug it again when I get home and just unplug after a 100% charge? Or should I use it till it reaches 0% and then fully charge? Or it doesnt matter?

Robin64

Just grabbed Mighty Switch Force 2. Who would't at that price?

Kicked a baby. Not sure why I kicked a baby, but I did it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Those thinking of going digital with Xenoblade 3DS know that it requires roughly 29,000 blocks.
MY GOD, THAT'S.....uh, let's see, 29000 divided by 8....

3,625MB, or 3.6GB. So yeah, that's big.

Just grabbed Mighty Switch Force 2. Who would't at that price?

Kicked a baby. Not sure why I kicked a baby, but I did it.
"YOU'RE SAFE!!" *PUNT!* Easily the silliest/funniest part of MSF2. Also like how it's called the "USB" or "Ugly Secret Baby".

GulAtiCa

Looking forward to hearing more myself. Esp on NX whatever that might be. Would love to get a dev kit before launch and make games for it. That be fun.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
To comment on the Nintendo mobile stuff, I feel like it'll either be much ado about nothing or the end of an era. However, considering how strong their partnership with DeNA seems like it is, I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing proper mobile apps with Nintendo IPs and the eventual cannibalization of their dedicated devices. People will slowly be happy enough playing a Mario endless runner or w/e instead of their actual Mario platformers. I'm pretty sure Brain Training will see a revival on mobile. I actually feel like Nintendo might come up with some fairly addictive games on mobile, which in turn will actually hurt their dedicated handhelds. It's already happened with the 3DS and Wii U, and I wouldn't be surprised if mobile does the same The people who DL mobile games are actually not likely to be ones to buy a $200 handheld & games. They barely even pay for games at all, and let's not even get into Android. It's just naive to think that some upgrade strategy would work with a consumer base that's basically been told software is free. Iwata has done a complete about-face and won't even admit it. It's really disappointing and I've lost a lot of respect for the guy.

jholmes

Iwata has done a complete about-face and won't even admit it. It's really disappointing and I've lost a lot of respect for the guy.

Point 1: He's said for at least a solid year that Nintendo will do something on cellphones for at least a year and hasn't ruled out games over that time, and by all accounts this has been in the works at some level since 2010.

Points 2: He runs a business and that's really the end of it.

That all said I'm not happy about any of this and I'm not sure why anyone would be.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Point 1: He's said for at least a solid year that Nintendo will do something on cellphones for at least a year and hasn't ruled out games over that time, and by all accounts this has been in the works at some level since 2010.

That all said I'm not happy about any of this and I'm not sure why anyone would be.

To point 1, "something on cellphones" is very different than "actual games on phones". Promotional apps and companion apps is pretty standard fare. Games that could easily jeopardize your traditional business is not.

By that same notion, if he can go from one year saying "not entering mobile is what's going to keep us alive in 20 years" to "eh w/e, mobile games now" then what's stopping his "no porting of games to smartphones" to change? I feel like it's only a matter of time before they start heading down that slippery slope. If the mobile division becomes really profitable, it's more likely they'll continue to devote more resources to it, thus draining the traditional realm of dev talent. I really do feel like this is the beginning of the end for them (the end of their traditional stuff).

And in all honesty, I don't actually hate smartphones themselves. It's that I hate their unsustainable pricing structure. Software being free is BS. Why should a consumer get a bunch of useful applications with months to years of work being done on them while paying nothing (Facebook, Microsoft Office now, etc.) Instead, they monetize crap behind the scenes by stealing my information and selling it or shoving shit in my face (at least browsers have adblock). Or they exploit people who have no self-control (including children) to get tons of money from in-app purchase whales. The business model in of itself is just disgusting.

BooJoh

By that same notion, if he can go from one year saying "not entering mobile is what's going to keep us alive in 20 years" to "eh w/e, mobile games now" then what's stopping his "no porting of games to smartphones" to change? I feel like it's only a matter of time before they start heading down that slippery slope. If the mobile division becomes really profitable, it's more likely they'll continue to devote more resources to it, thus draining the traditional realm of dev talent. I really do feel like this is the beginning of the end for them (the end of their traditional stuff).

I don't really know how to feel... on one hand, I don't care if games like Pokemon Shuffle and Puzzle & Dragons Mario Edition see mobile releases, especially if it generates interest in Nintendo's IPs so that people will buy Nintendo's hardware. On the other hand...

When we look at the entire system of freemium, it’s not always that everyone is happy with the offers. Actually, there’s only a limited number of people who are willing to pay and many others are not paying for game titles at all. Nintendo is not interested... I’m not interested in offering software for free of charge. That’s because I myself am one of the game developers, who in the future wants to make efforts so the value of the software will be appreciated by the consumers.
Iwata, Circa 2011. Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2011/06/nintendo_not_interested_in_producing_free_to_play_software

Also, there was one quote from Iwata regarding today's news that concerns me:

Potentially, any Nintendo IP could be used in our smart device software. On the other hand, as I just said, games on smart devices require ever-evolving services rather than just being a finished product. A combined effort will be necessary to operate them. People’s attention would only be dispersed if we simply increased the number of the titles we simultaneously released, and we could not expect to expand our business. Accordingly, we will narrow down the titles for development and operation to some extent.

I really hope this is specifically referring to limiting the number of mobile titles, and not implying that they might have to cut back on the number of games on their own hardware, because they're already spread terribly thin in that regard.

maxcriden

I really hope this is specifically referring to limiting the number of mobile titles, and not implying that they might have to cut back on the number of games on their own hardware, because they're already spread terribly thin in that regard.

In the context to me this did read as potentially meaning paring back development a bit for core games. It's possible it was unclear especially in translation, though. He might've meant just for mobile.

donny2112

In the context to me this did read as potentially meaning paring back development a bit for core games. It's possible it was unclear especially in translation, though. He might've meant just for mobile.

I took it as some games planned for 3DS/Wii U may not be made in favor of mobile development, but I also think that would not include any of their core games. Pokemon Shuffle, other mobile-type eShop games, basically the filler they were trying to do before that seemed like it could work on mobile would probably be the ones that wouldn't be made by Nintendo and instead shifted off to DeNA for production.

Hey, you're juniored again! Something happen?

Next week's releases
3/25
Wii U
Mega Man Battle Network 4: Red Sun (GBA) (Capcom) 702 yen
Mega Man Battle Network 4: Blue Moon (GBA)(Capcom) - 702 yen
Sin and Punishment 2 (Wii)( Nintendo) - 2700 yen
Chariot (Frima Studio)- 1499 yen

3DS
Samurai Defender (Flyhigh Works)- 400 yen
Zombie Panic in Wonderland DX ( Arc System Works)-600 yen
Puzzlebox Setup (Rainy Frog) - 400 yen
Maru pass! Medical office. medical fee billing office Proficiency Test (Media 5) - 1000 yen

3/26
3DS
Kuroko's Basketball: Ties to the Future (Bandai Namco) - 6145 yen
Theatrhythm Dragon Quest (Square Enix) - 6264 yen
Nashi-jiru Busha! ! Funassyi VS DRAGONS (Rocket Company) -5184 yen

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Still waiting for Mega Man & Bass to come to the US VC.

Also, wasn't MMBN4 considered the worst of the series?

TheMoon

There is nothing to misunderstand here. He is talking about the IP they are going to use for the mobile games. Nothing else. This is very very very very clear. Watch the video.

maxcriden

There is nothing to misunderstand here. He is talking about the IP they are going to use for the mobile games. Nothing else. This is very very very very clear. Watch the video.

I haven't seen the video, but I am glad to read this. In the context of what's written it does sound like he might be referring to product in general, including current output for their dedicated game systems. I assume your interpretation is correct since you've seen the video, so I think his remarks were simply not translated as clearly as they could have been, then. Just a bit of semiotic excess there. :)

TheMoon

I haven't seen the video, but I am glad to read this. In the context of what's written it does sound like he might be referring to product in general, including current output for their dedicated game systems. I assume your interpretation is correct since you've seen the video, so I think his remarks were simply not translated as clearly as they could have been, then. Just a bit of semiotic excess there. :)

It's not the translation, it's the context. The quote is from the part of the presentation that is about which IP they'll be using for the games on mobile, nothing else. It's preceded by the "no exceptions" bit which is followed by this bit about pairing it down to something sensible. They're saying they could make a Mach Rider game but they'll probably not be making any Mach Rider games for mobile. :)

maxcriden

It's not the translation, it's the context. The quote is from the part of the presentation that is about which IP they'll be using for the games on mobile, nothing else. It's preceded by the "no exceptions" bit which is followed by this bit about pairing it down to something sensible. They're saying they could make a Mach Rider game but they'll probably not be making any Mach Rider games for mobile. :)

Potentially, any Nintendo IP could be used in our smart device software. On the other hand, as I just said, games on smart devices require ever-evolving services rather than just being a finished product. A combined effort will be necessary to operate them. People’s attention would only be dispersed if we simply increased the number of the titles we simultaneously released, and we could not expect to expand our business. Accordingly, we will narrow down the titles for development and operation to some extent.

I very much want to agree with you and for you to be right about this. I am not 100% convinced though. To me, it looks like he's saying they cannot simply release more Nintendo titles in general, and that as a direct result of that concern of spreading attention for Nintendo products too thin, they would have to narrow down the overall titles for mobile and regular Nintendo system development.

(Although it's unclear to me if here "people" whose attention would be dispersed are the developers or users, but I think he likely means the users.)

TheMoon

I very much want to agree with you and for you to be right about this. I am not 100% convinced though. To me, it looks like he's saying they cannot simply release more Nintendo titles in general, and that as a direct result of that concern of spreading attention for Nintendo products too thin, they would have to narrow down the overall titles for mobile and regular Nintendo system development.

(Although it's unclear to me if here "people" whose attention would be dispersed are the developers or users, but I think he likely means the users.)

But this is all about the mobile games. Nowhere is he talking about Nintendo's general output. The general point is about all IP being up for grabs while they're not going to throw out 100 titles right away since that would be too much for both consumers and developers to handle. So they'll be focusing in on a overseeable number that makes sense for them. It makes no sense for Iwata to be saying "yo, check this out, through this deal we got even more fired up for proper consoles and games made for them but yo, we gon' cut back on developing them because we gotta do these atteniongrapps for y'alls phones!"

maxcriden

But this is all about the mobile games. Nowhere is he talking about Nintendo's general output. The general point is about all IP being up for grabs while they're not going to throw out 100 titles right away since that would be too much for both consumers and developers to handle. So they'll be focusing in on a overseeable number that makes sense for them. It makes no sense for Iwata to be saying "yo, check this out, through this deal we got even more fired up for proper consoles and games made for them but yo, we gon' cut back on developing them because we gotta do these atteniongrapps for y'alls phones!"

I dunno. I still see it differently. Convince me, lol. I want to agree with you. I understand what you mean in theory but it reads to me as being about Nintendo's developmental capability. Plus, Iwata just said in the Time interview today that Nintendo themselves are developing the mobile games.

TheMoon

I dunno. I still see it differently. Convince me, lol. I want to agree with you. I understand what you mean in theory but it reads to me as being about Nintendo's developmental capability. Plus, Iwata just said in the Time interview today that Nintendo themselves are developing the mobile games.

Regardless, developing these will not require as much resources or time as developing a console or handheld game now does. Consider what they did in the past. They have a crapton of divisions. EAD is the one everybody knows but Nintendo SPD, next to handling coordination and co-development with outside studios, also developed a bunch of their wacky Blue Ocean/experimental software (Brain Age, Face Training, Rusty). They could put those guys on the mobile games and nobody would even notice anything. Aside from also just hiring new people and starting up a dedicated team for that stuff. Maybe this is even what Sakamoto's supposed new division is doing (Shikamaru mentioned that a couple of times).

I simply see no reason to worry about any of this right now. All of this is balanced out by shifting focus away from developing Blue Ocean games for their dedicated systems, the internal restructuring to increase efficiency and DeNA being a collaborator.

maxcriden

Regardless, developing these will not require as much resources or time as developing a console or handheld game now does. Consider what they did in the past. They have a crapton of divisions. EAD is the one everybody knows but Nintendo SPD, next to handling coordination and co-development with outside studios, also developed a bunch of their wacky Blue Ocean/experimental software (Brain Age, Face Training, Rusty). They could put those guys on the mobile games and nobody would even notice anything. Aside from also just hiring new people and starting up a dedicated team for that stuff. Maybe this is even what Sakamoto's supposed new division is doing (Shikamaru mentioned that a couple of times).

I simply see no reason to worry about any of this right now. All of this is balanced out by shifting focus away from developing Blue Ocean games for their dedicated systems, the internal restructuring to increase efficiency and DeNA being a collaborator.

Well, all of that I can gladly agree with, my lunar amiibro! :) Well said.

donny2112

So there are Nintendo developers making mobile games in cooperation with DeNA. Nintendo developers making Blue Ocean stuff for QOL (unless QOL is dead now or sharing resources with mobile). And Nintendo developers making regular games.

Oh, and Nintendo still hasn't quite gotten fully in the swing of things to support HD development per studio as shown by the immense cross-team support for each of their HD games.

I'm prepared for some reduction in pipeline throughput while mobile/QOL gets spun up, at least. Can only slice a single pizza pie so many ways.

BooJoh

Regardless, developing these will not require as much resources or time as developing a console or handheld game now does.
Except that there's one major difference in these titles, which Iwata himself points out in that very same quote.

On the other hand, as I just said, games on smart devices require ever-evolving services rather than just being a finished product. A combined effort will be necessary to operate them.

Nintendo's dedicated games can largely be released and then ignored, with the exception of major bugfix patches or DLC. Mobile games, on the other hand, require constant attention to be kept on the charts, maintain compatibility with ever-changing mobile OS's, operate as a service (especially in the f2p model) etc. A mobile game is never really "done" and if left unattended will fade into obscurity and eventually become incompatible with the hardware.

TheMoon

Except that there's one major difference in these titles, which Iwata himself points out in that very same quote.

Nintendo's dedicated games can largely be released and then ignored, with the exception of major bugfix patches or DLC. Mobile games, on the other hand, require constant attention to be kept on the charts, maintain compatibility with ever-changing mobile OS's, operate as a service (especially in the f2p model) etc. A mobile game is never really "done" and if left unattended will fade into obscurity and eventually become incompatible with the hardware.

And that is exactly what DeNA is there for, which they explained in detail during the presentation.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
And that is exactly what DeNA is there for, which they explained in detail during the presentation.

I'm sure DeNA can handle technically making it work on iOS 9 vs. iOS 8, but any type of actual gameplay changes still would have to be made by Nintendo. There's so many promotions, events, etc. done in mobile to keep people's attention. I think that's why Nintendo may have just a couple of these max running at time. Basically fewer services. However, we'll likely be losing the games like Game & Wario and potentially even Nintendogs on traditional consoles.

NateDrake

I'm sure DeNA can handle technically making it work on iOS 9 vs. iOS 8, but any type of actual gameplay changes still would have to be made by Nintendo. There's so many promotions, events, etc. done in mobile to keep people's attention. I think that's why Nintendo may have just a couple of these max running at time. Basically fewer services. However, we'll likely be losing the games like Game & Wario and potentially even Nintendogs on traditional consoles.

If I can play the Fronks game from Game & Wario on my phone or tablet with online play (like Words With Friends type of turn setup), then I hope they do it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So Xenoblade 3D is 28,832 blocks or 3.6GB.

Not surprised seeing how this was a huge as JRPG on a DVD system. I wasn't expecting them to somehow get this down to under 2 gigs or something.

Max you're killing me bro. Killing me.

That's ok though. Greatness can wait! Just know I still need this for the Wii U!

Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament rated by ESRB. Guessing that'll be this week's Wii U VC title.

Edit: Yup, coming tomorrow.

I'm just over giving a fuck about getting the MZM shaft each week.

Etria

Is this the right place to ask?

I was wondering if you need an NNID linked to your 3DS before downloading free DLC (as free apps and demos require one)?
I'm thinking of picking up the upcoming two DLC tracks offered for Theatrhythm.

wilflare

okay I'm confused folks

(1) Does the 3DS not keep all its save data on the system itself/microSD? where do I manage that? I can't seem to find my save on the first thearhythm

(2) Do we need to have the game cart inserted in the 3DS in other to get Streetpass hits for that game? Or is it fine as long as the game has saved Streetpass data on my 3DS/microSD?

(3) Is there no way to transfer save data from a physical game to digital game?

jholmes

okay I'm confused folks

(1) Does the 3DS not keep all its save data on the system itself/microSD? where do I manage that? I can't seem to find my save on the first thearhythm

(2) Do we need to have the game cart inserted in the 3DS in other to get Streetpass hits for that game? Or is it fine as long as the game has saved Streetpass data on my 3DS/microSD?

I'm not sure about your issues with 1 and 3 but as for 2, you definitely do not have to have the game cart in the 3DS to get streetpasses. You can go out and get streetpasses for 12 different games at once if you have the data set up on your system.

SerTapTap

Gunvolt reached 100,000 downloads! I think that's decent enough for a digital only small title.

CAbNndSUgAAtwDt.jpg
Can't wait for Gunvolt 2

Chrom

okay I'm confused folks

I believe there's an app on the eShop that lets you do what you ask for in your third question. I think it's called the Save Data Transfer Tool.

donny2112

okay I'm confused folks

Your (3) question answers your (1) question. Saves for cartridge games are stored on the cartridge itself. The save transfer tool removes them from the cartridge and places them on the system instead.

Top Bottom