• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Investor Meeting [Nintendo 1st Party DLC, NSMB3DS, NiN, Info In OP]

pglsS.png

COMMONER COFFEE YO

I'll be paying more attention to my dreams from now on. That's for sure.

Them announcing WiiWare/Wii VC are transferable is the next step. :O

I will not call you prophet until this happens

Michan

Reposting for a new page for all those who are late to the party.

Nintendo Revelaitons and Megatons - summary so far

Wii U:
  • User accounts: Wii U will have individual user accounts, rather than one system-wide account.
  • NFC: Near Field Communication ("touch" data transmission from accessories, credit cards, etc... sort of like QR/Streetpass combined) will be built-in.
  • Online: Miyamoto: "Network has to have a totally new concept to be different."

3DS:
  • NSMB 3DS announced: Planning to release a totally new side-scrolling action Super Mario in 2D as a key title for the Nintendo 3DS in the next fiscal year.
    200 3DS titles in development.
  • Nintendo first-party DLC: Nintendo considering DLC for their own software, mentions "Super Mario" as an example:
    "If a Super Mario user gets tired, we can then sell digital extras which will drive extra revenue, encourage higher communication amongst users, and possible increased satisfaction and hardware install bases."
  • More Swapnote-like apps? Because of the success of Swapnote, Nintendo is considering other strategies to benefit from this social behaviour.
  • "Path to profits is improve 3DS and focus on software. Super Mario titles will drive a lot of profitability."
  • 60% of 3DS users have connected to the Internet; wants to expand digital offering, but at "infant stage" now.
  • Iwata: "Nintendo's priority is to satisfy existing 3DS users, as well as to prepare titles that will expand the user base combined with network."

General:
  • Third parties: Several new, previously unconsidered alliances/partnerships with third parties.
  • Communities: You haven't seen the last of them!
  • Retail title downloads: 3DS and Wii U both support digital download of retail titles, but... they still aren't quite sure how to implement it just yet.
  • Item billing: "We should not decline third parties if they want to offer item billing" (paying to unlock content).
  • DLC: Still planning to offer DLC (possibly talking about their own software), but needs more time to complete its feasibility study on the market and its needs.
  • More sharing: "Digital will include user to user communications and sharing" (More social networking integration? More Swapnote-like apps? More emphasis on Streetpass/Spotpass?).
  • Better-paced software + DLC: Nintendo has learnt that it shouldn't have stagnant periods between software launches: can fill the gap, and DLC can extend the life of a title.
  • Asia: Planning products for Asia, local partners (WiiQue U?) yet to be announced; still issues of copyright.
  • This will be Nintendo's worst financial year, but Iwata thinks the company can reach break-even on 3DS hardware in Q3 of this year.
  • Miyamoto still around, Iwata angry at Wired. "Miyamoto is saying his basic work is to create a big hit."

I know this is a little off topic, but why do the advertisements on Neogaf seem to always having something to do with the thread I'm looking at? I mean, I have a fucking Mario banner at the bottom of my screen, and I've never seen it before till now. Just an example, but it seems to happen a lot.

Medalion

Banned
Nintendo still trying to be unique. So stupid. There is nothing they of all companies can innovate in the online space. People are just waiting for them to catch up to where others were years ago.

It's not stupid to want to be unique. But to execute it properly where you're seen as a trailblazer is often a misguided one.

antonz

I'm open to the idea of Skylanders, but with collectible cards.

I can see Nintendo focusing on cards more than figures and such because they have played around with card based games etc for some time and what a way to reignite the pokemon ccg craze.

The Boat

iOS app store on the Wii U. Won't directly compete with Apple's hand held business but the tablet controller will allow you to play all iOS games on the WiiU.
This would shatter the internet.
DLC is not good for the customer.

That's because companies have gotten us to think that DLC is automatically being ripped off: paying for content that's on the disc, things that should have been there from the beginning and so on. Developers have been getting away with releasing incomplete games. There's good DLC, just like we always got expansion packs and add-ons for PC games ages ago, if a game is released in its "complete" form and the extra content provided by DLC builds from there, it can be great, it's a way to make games last longer.

I don't see Nintendo doing the former, at least I hope not.

While we are on this subject, when we discuss anything relating to add-on content, our remarks are very often reported by the media by their attaching such modifiers or notes as “the ones used for social games.” Please note that Nintendo, as a software maker, does not plan to deploy businesses where our consumers cannot know in advance which item will appear as the result of their payment and they have to repeat the payments and, before they know it, they end up spending a huge amount of money in order to obtain the items they originally wanted to purchase. As a software maker, Nintendo believes that its packaged software should be sold to our consumers in a form so that the consumers will know in advance that they can enjoy playing the software they purchased just as it is. We believe that our consumers will be able to feel more secure if we offer our add-on content as an additional structure in which those who love the game will be able to enjoy it in a deeper way for a prolonged play time.
This shows some "ethic" to their DLC business, as ethic as a company can be though, since their goal is to make money.

lednerg

I know this is a little off topic, but why do the advertisements on Neogaf seem to always having something to do with the thread I'm looking at? I mean, I have a fucking Mario banner at the bottom of my screen, and I've never seen it before till now. Just an example, but it seems to happen a lot.

The adbot saw that you're on a page with Nintendo in the title (twice) and so it fed you a Nintendo ad.

Peterthumpa

They work kinda similar to Google AdWords IIRC.

Being perfectly honest DLC makes a lot of sense for a dev like Nintendo.

They don't really do yearly releases. Expanding their games through DLC just seems smart.

royalan

New Tweet!

WiiU - won't just be about better graphics, some games like zelda graphics will be important

Y'all...Miyamoto just said "graphics" and "important" in the same sentence...I'm tingling...all over...

Nintendo still trying to be unique. So stupid. There is nothing they of all companies can innovate in the online space. People are just waiting for them to catch up to where others were years ago.

In all honesty, communities are actually a relatively unique idea, at least in the console space.

They could expand upon the idea pretty much indefinitely. Imagine a HOME-like physical space for the NeoGAF community that can be expanded upon Animal Crossing-style using the combined achievements/trophies of all its members.

A kind of expanded Mii-Plaza, but tied to your community with a dash of Animal Crossing.

seady

NFC will be crazy. Imagine you can pay for any digital content by just touching your credit card on the Wii U and items immediately deliver to your console. It's very prominent in Asia where people simply use prepaid card / credit card for buses, trains, grocery stores, 7-11 etc. One 'beep' with the card and you are good to go.

creon_octopus.jpg

Ydahs

Love the fact that Nintendo is not just copying the competition with regards to online infrastructure, but they're also trying to innovate it in ways the competition has yet to do so. Or at least, that's what I'm gathering from the Nintendo Network.

Just hoping for a more streamlined implementation of the OS, where gaming news and new NN content is easily viewable by users in the forms of widgets, unlike the PSN network which is totally separate from the main OS.

Maybe improve the 3DS implementation where the blue and green icon on the apps indicate new activity, but clicking on the icon will actually bring up a notification telling us what it actually is, instead of having to open the app and find out. Actually, I might make my own mockup later on and post it in the Wii U spec thread.

Darryl

Banned
Imagine buying a pack of cards, and now you also own those Pokemon in-game.

I never thought I would buy another Pokemon card after middle school.

i've been struggling not buying pokemon cards in stores as it is. i don't play, nor would i have any use for the cards. i grew up enjoying the surprise of opening a pack of cards. would be nice to have an actual reason to do it now.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
NFC will be crazy. Imagine you can pay for any digital content by just touching your credit card on the Wii U and items immediately deliver to your console. It's very prominent in Asia where people simply use prepaid card / credit card for buses, trains, grocery stores, 7-11 etc. One 'beep' with the card and you are good to go.

creon_octopus.jpg
I'm not sure if credit card transactions through NFC will be available on the Wii U. Mostly because of security concerns.

Top Bottom