• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Investor Meeting [Nintendo 1st Party DLC, NSMB3DS, NiN, Info In OP]

Michan

It's over. Here's the final list for a new page.

Nintendo's Thursdayton of Revelaitons and Megatons

Wii U:
  • User accounts: Wii U will have individual user accounts, rather than one system-wide account.
  • NFC: Near Field Communication ("touch" data transmission from accessories, credit cards, etc... sort of like QR/Streetpass combined) will be built-in.
  • Online: Miyamoto: "Network has to have a totally new concept to be different."

3DS:
  • NSMB 3DS announced: Planning to release a totally new side-scrolling action Super Mario in 2D as a key title for the Nintendo 3DS in the next fiscal year.
    200 3DS titles in development.
  • Nintendo first-party DLC: Nintendo considering DLC for their own software, mentions "Super Mario" as an example:
    "If a Super Mario user gets tired, we can then sell digital extras which will drive extra revenue, encourage higher communication amongst users, and possible increased satisfaction and hardware install bases."
  • More Swapnote-like apps? Because of the success of Swapnote, Nintendo is considering other strategies to benefit from this social behaviour.
  • "Path to profits is improve 3DS and focus on software. Super Mario titles will drive a lot of profitability."
  • 60% of 3DS users have connected to the Internet; wants to expand digital offering, but at "infant stage" now.
  • Iwata: "Nintendo's priority is to satisfy existing 3DS users, as well as to prepare titles that will expand the user base combined with network."

General:
  • Third parties: Several new, previously unconsidered alliances/partnerships with third parties.
  • Communities: You haven't seen the last of them!
  • Retail title downloads: 3DS and Wii U both support digital download of retail titles, but... they still aren't quite sure how to implement it just yet.
  • Item billing: "We should not decline third parties if they want to offer item billing" (paying to unlock content).
  • DLC: Still planning to offer DLC (possibly talking about their own software), but needs more time to complete its feasibility study on the market and its needs.
  • More sharing: "Digital will include user to user communications and sharing" (More social networking integration? More Swapnote-like apps? More emphasis on Streetpass/Spotpass?).
  • Better-paced software + DLC: Nintendo has learnt that it shouldn't have stagnant periods between software launches: can fill the gap, and DLC can extend the life of a title.
  • Asia: Planning products for Asia, local partners (WiiQue U?) yet to be announced; still issues of copyright.
  • This will be Nintendo's worst financial year, but Iwata thinks the company can reach break-even on 3DS hardware in Q3 of this year.
  • Miyamoto still around, Iwata angry at Wired. "Miyamoto is saying his basic work is to create a big hit."

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How long does it usually take for this stuff to be available online? Maybe they'll have example diagrams/screens/whatever that will help us understand some things better or get glimpses to some titles?

Kinda bummed that we didn't get any real new game announcements other than "NSMB" 3DS. We got Kirby Wii and Pandora's Tower last year, and The Last Story and Xenoblade properly unveiled the year before.

royalan

NEW (LAST) TWEET:

Likes the amazon recommendation system, wants to improve and allow access by others

This is, by far, one of the biggest improvements they could make. Tying all of their online services together with a "If you liked______, give ______ a try!" or "You friends who bought_________, also bought ________" would work wonders for their network.

lednerg

"Likes the amazon recommendation system, wants to improve and allow access by others"

That's cool. You can buy stuff for people and be reasonably sure it'll be something they'd like.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Instead of credit cards it could be the new way of using Nintendo money that you can just refill.
It probably would be something like that. It would way better than typing 12 to 20 freaking numbers!

Michan

NEW (LAST) TWEET:

This is, by far, one of the biggest improvements they could make. Tying all of their online services together with a "If you liked______, give ______ a try!" or "You friends who bought_________, also bought ________" would work wonders for their network.

They kind of already have a basic version this. But a public wishlist could be nice.

Medalion

Banned
Nintendo must be working with a lot of outside company people to get this online thing going, no way Nintendo thought up all these on their own

Toki767

It'd be something if Nintendo looked at how Steam operated with their online and made theirs based on that with the emphasis on community linking with the store and stuff.

NEW (LAST) TWEET:

Like Steam ;)

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
It's over. Here's the final list for a new page.

Nintendo's Thursdayton of Revelaitons and Megatons

Wii U:
  • User accounts: Wii U will have individual user accounts, rather than one system-wide account.
  • NFC: Near Field Communication ("touch" data transmission from accessories, credit cards, etc... sort of like QR/Streetpass combined) will be built-in.
  • Online: Miyamoto: "Network has to have a totally new concept to be different."

3DS:
  • NSMB 3DS announced: Planning to release a totally new side-scrolling action Super Mario in 2D as a key title for the Nintendo 3DS in the next fiscal year.
    200 3DS titles in development.
  • Nintendo first-party DLC: Nintendo considering DLC for their own software, mentions "Super Mario" as an example:
    "If a Super Mario user gets tired, we can then sell digital extras which will drive extra revenue, encourage higher communication amongst users, and possible increased satisfaction and hardware install bases."
  • More Swapnote-like apps? Because of the success of Swapnote, Nintendo is considering other strategies to benefit from this social behaviour.
  • "Path to profits is improve 3DS and focus on software. Super Mario titles will drive a lot of profitability."
  • 60% of 3DS users have connected to the Internet; wants to expand digital offering, but at "infant stage" now.
  • Iwata: "Nintendo's priority is to satisfy existing 3DS users, as well as to prepare titles that will expand the user base combined with network."

General:
  • Third parties: Several new, previously unconsidered alliances/partnerships with third parties.
  • Communities: You haven't seen the last of them!
  • Retail title downloads: 3DS and Wii U both support digital download of retail titles, but... they still aren't quite sure how to implement it just yet.
  • Item billing: "We should not decline third parties if they want to offer item billing" (paying to unlock content).
  • DLC: Still planning to offer DLC (possibly talking about their own software), but needs more time to complete its feasibility study on the market and its needs.
  • More sharing: "Digital will include user to user communications and sharing" (More social networking integration? More Swapnote-like apps? More emphasis on Streetpass/Spotpass?).
  • Better-paced software + DLC: Nintendo has learnt that it shouldn't have stagnant periods between software launches: can fill the gap, and DLC can extend the life of a title.
  • Asia: Planning products for Asia, local partners (WiiQue U?) yet to be announced; still issues of copyright.
  • This will be Nintendo's worst financial year, but Iwata thinks the company can reach break-even on 3DS hardware in Q3 of this year.
  • Miyamoto still around, Iwata angry at Wired. "Miyamoto is saying his basic work is to create a big hit."

Posted in OP. Thanks for the summary Michan.

Thanks guys, damn that thing has a lot of features :lol

Haha, damn, I knew there was a flaw there

Still, would be nice to have alongside traditional passwords

Woah, what about you say your password outloud, and it recognizes your voice and its like:

Wii U: What is your password?
User: 1234abcd
Wii U: Password accepted. Welcome back Dave.

Mind. Would. Be. Blown.

EDarkness

We'll have an actual account per person? Oh hell yeah. Finally! And I can't wait for Steam on the Wii U. I has to be coming, right? Right?

How long does it usually take for this stuff to be available online? Maybe they'll have example diagrams/screens/whatever that will help us understand some things better or get glimpses to some titles?

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120127/03.html

This is the actual presentation, but that last 40 minutes or so have been questions, and they must be transcribed into Japanese and then translated, could take a few days.

AzaK

Yep. That's how I believe it would happen as well.
How would this work though? Seeing as Nintendo license retail games from those guys anyway, and they pay a fee for that privilege, how is having their own shops different to what they get now? Would it merely be a situation of allowing EA to self police their store or maybe it just exchanges licensing for a store fee?

Nintendo still trying to be unique. So stupid. There is nothing they of all companies can innovate in the online space. People are just waiting for them to catch up to where others were years ago.

No offence, but Nintendo are smarter than you or I. They're a weird bunch that live on another planet and try to make things interesting so they have a point of difference compared to others. Communities, SwapNote (Letter Box), and the Street Pass Mii stuff for 3DS are three examples.

Cipherr

I cant believe they actually delivered. There was some actual good news here, not just shit I would shrug off. Well done.

No offence, but Nintendo are smarter than you or I. They're a weird bunch that live on another planet and try to make things interesting so they have a point of difference compared to others. Communities, SwapNote (Letter Box), and the Street Pass Mii stuff for 3DS are three examples.

Yeah his comment was pretty bad. Copying all the features the other established networks have, then adding their own idea as well (Communities in Mario Kart with preset rules and items for example) is a fantastic idea. Its literally having your cake and eating it too. Thats no a bad thing. Its exactly what folks have been asking for, and a few other useful features people can use if they want to.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Amazon's recommendation system is amazing. Sometimes I just hit up Amazon.com and see all the interesting stuff they think I like and actually do.

guek

Banned
It'd be something if Nintendo looked at how Steam operated with their online and made theirs based on that with the emphasis on community linking with the store and stuff.

Everyone talks about nintendo + steam, but I'm fairly confident that since nintendo and valve don't have a strong history together, nintendo exevs probably don't know anything about steam other than that it's some sort of PC service.

Everyone talks about nintendo + steam, but I'm fairly confident that since nintendo and valve don't have a strong history together, nintendo exevs probably don't know anything about steam other than that it's some sort of PC service.

I find that hard to believe.
Steam is a pretty massive service with millions of users.
You can bet that Nintendo knows of it very well.

Woah, what about you say your password outloud, and it recognizes your voice and its like:

Mind. Would. Be. Blown.

And then your little brother/flatmate/whatever knows your password and bombs your credit card with Learning with the PooYoos purchases, awesome ;)

guek

Banned
I find that hard to believe.
Steam is a pretty massive service with millions of users.
You can bet that Nintendo knows of it very well.

Meh, I dunno. I agree that they probably know of it, but I don't think they know how popular it is, mainly because the service isn't huge in Japan.

$200

Banned

Mind. Would. Be. Blown.
User: Get out of the room mum I'm trying to login here

HeySeuss

Mind. Would. Be. Blown.
Apple partnership to include Siri implementation.

Unrelated note, posting from my Android phone, autocorrect tried to change Siri to dork. I thought that was ironically funny.

Toki767

I'm not really thinking that they'll partner together or anything. More that they are looking at Steam as the go to experience for online services and they want to try match that as best as they can.

Top Bottom