• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Investor Meeting [Nintendo 1st Party DLC, NSMB3DS, NiN, Info In OP]

royalan

New Tweet

Have built pillar for digital, now able to take risk, think once done and bottlenecks removed can change perceptions

I'm gonna cry...Nintendo, this is all I ever want from you. ;_;

Conor 419

Banned
It's good to hear they have first party titles prepared for launch

So, we can relatively safely assume that we'll get Pikmin 3 and Retro's Project on launch, but are there any other Nintendo developers that could deliver a title in that time frame? Monolith with a Xenoblade spin off, or Arika with Endless Ocean 3 perhaps?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
It's good to hear they have first party titles prepared for launch

So, we can relatively safely assume that we'll get Pikmin 3 and Retro's Project on launch, but are there any other Nintendo developers that could deliver a title for launch? Monolith with a Xenoblade spin off, or Arika with Endless Ocean 3 perhaps?

Endless Ocean 3 seems like a no brainier to me.

only checked the release schedule in america and it's not there, lower profile titles get put there most of the time. I guess there's maybe e3 for it to get officially announced.

Called it when NOA only left out the Fire Emblem footage when other TGS game trailers were available for viewing. Being Japanese is not an excuse since they've put up Japanese trailers before.

guek

Banned
wii u video chat is going to be pretty cool, but i'm afraid for da wee lil children. cocks cocks everywhere

yeoz

Yeah, seems more like the Spyro game type of thing.

NFC refers to something where say it's on your cell phone, you could pay for stuff just by swiping it near a reader of some type by the cash register, if you had all the appropriate setup.

So it makes sense in the spyro figurine concept.
So, you're saying for example, I could buy pokemon figurine booster packs and place them on my WiiU controller and have them do things in-game? (I'm calling this here and now.)

AzaK

How so? What else you think they could do with this tech?

As I said, rather that just use it for pairing controllers to consoles (I assume this is what you meant) they could add in toys, just like Skylanders does. Pokemon instantly comes to mind.

NFC payments. NFC phones could exchange contacts, maybe Miis to take with you. Essentially bits of data you might want to take on the go but not go through an account system.

Michan

Hmmm, so I might be able to tap my credit card on the wii u and make a transaction. Sounds a lot easier than inputting the data by hand.

This is exactly it. But it will probably be the tablet that has the NFC, since many people have their systems in closed entertainment cabinets.

Most people in this thread seem to be misunderstanding what NFC is.

It's a data transfer method, much like when you "beam" contacts from one Blackberry to another. The data transmitted is easily interpreted, so rather than try to prevent piracy, it will likely transmit simple packets of data that trigger in-game events, match up controllers/accessories to the system, send credit card info, redeem points cards/download codes, etc.

I simply can't imagine what Nintendo's fear of the internet has been for the past decade.

Building a robust online network wasn't some big risky venture for Microsoft and Sony. It was a necessity in the modern fucking world.

Did Nintendo seriously think gamers wouldn't be interested in it? Sure, network gaming hasn't always been what it is now, but I simply cannot believe that they thought they could just "wait it out".

watershed

Banned
NFC sounds like that tag or tap thing iphones can do so I imagine that means Nintendo will encourage people to bring their upads to their friend's house for local multiplayer.

Thraktor

Imagine it as QR scanning, except the scan is automatic and there is no scan involved. Sort of like those security labels that prevent you from walking out of a store with a high-value product, in a way. It is mostly a way to send/receive data, which means different accessories could trigger different in-game events, etc.

In theory the NFC could be used to sense and locate figurines which are placed on the Wii U controller's screen. For example in a SRPG, you could have little figurines of your characters placed on the screen, and you physically move the figurines over the screen and they replicate this motion in real-time on the TV. A bit awkward, but technically possible.

Near field communication (NFC) is a set of standards for smartphones and similar devices to establish radio communication with each other by touching them together or bringing them into close proximity, usually no more than a few centimetres. Present and anticipated applications include contactless transactions, data exchange, and simplified setup of more complex communications such as Wi-Fi.[1] Communication is also possible between an NFC device and an unpowered NFC chip, called a "tag".[2]
NFC standards cover communications protocols and data exchange formats, and are based on existing radio-frequency identification (RFID) standards including ISO/IEC 14443 and FeliCa.[3] The standards include ISO/IEC 18092[4] and those defined by the NFC Forum, which was founded in 2004 by Nokia, Philips and Sony, and now has 150 members. The Forum also promotes NFC and certifies device compliance.

NFC can be used in social networking situations, such as sharing contacts, photos, videos or files ,[11] and entering multiplayer mobile games

From Wiki.
Reminds me of Mobil Gas Stations in the 90s where you had that little thing on your keyring and it let you purchase gas and items by linking it to their credit card. (or what's currently in some credit cards, none of mine have the wireless symbol on them)

So this is basically like StreetPass for the Wii U controller, I'm in ;o

RagnarokX

This is exactly it. But it will probably be the tablet that has the NFC, since many people have their systems in closed entertainment cabinets.

Most people in this thread seem to be misunderstanding what NFC is.

It's a data transfer method, much like when you "beam" contacts from one Blackberry to another. The data transmitted is easily interpreted, so rather than try to prevent piracy, it will likely transmit simple packets of data that trigger in-game events, match up controllers/accessories to the system, send credit card info, redeem points cards/download codes, etc.
The way I see it, the upad will be able to make transactions by tapping your card on the touchscreen. Nintendo will probably make an AR game that involves figurines that use the upad like a portal of power. The upad can also use NFC to transmit data between controllers if you take it to a friend's house.

Shiggie

Reminds me of Mobil Gas Stations in the 90s where you had that little thing on your keyring and it let you purchase gas and items by linking it to their credit card. (or what's currently in some credit cards, none of mine have the wireless symbol on them)

Its mostly a mastercard thing.

guek

Banned
I simply can't imagine what Nintendo's fear of the internet has been for the past decade.

Building a robust online network wasn't some big risky venture for Microsoft and Sony. It was a necessity in the modern fucking world.

Did Nintendo seriously think gamers wouldn't be interested in it? Sure, network gaming hasn't always been what it is now, but I simply cannot believe that they thought they could just "wait it out".

I honestly think nintendo never expected the wii to be as big of a hit as it was. I think they were projecting something like 75 mil as a max installed base after the 22 mil of the gamecube and wanted it to be a stopgap console to rebuild their brands. Why the Wii 2/U/whatever didn't hit in 2010/2011 is beyond me

Top Bottom