• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Investor Meeting [Nintendo 1st Party DLC, NSMB3DS, NiN, Info In OP]

Seiru

Banned
Well the comment about digital pricing is sort of disappointing. I think the "problem" of digital sales should be left up to Gamestop to solve. It's their business model that relies upon it, afterall. Maybe they need to provide something extra to the consumer, other than harassment about preorders and selling your used games.

royalan

New Tweet:

Digital is not enemy to retail, digital won't be priced so it cannibalises packaged, yet to decide and talk with partners

This is really interesting. Seems like an area Nintendo could completely leapfrog the competition if they execute properly.

StevieP

Banned
"Digital - if super mario user gets tired then can sell digitally extra which will drive extra rev.."

Really Nintendo? Really?

Suck my left nut, Nintendo. Paid DLC can die in a fire. Keep making bonus shit unlockable like you always have.

yoshiarmor.jpg

Yoshi Armor - 200 U-coins.

mclem

Well the comment about digital pricing is sort of disappointing. I think the "problem" of digital sales should be left up to Gamestop to solve. It's their business model that relies upon it, afterall. Maybe they need to provide something extra to the consumer, other than harassment about preorders and selling your used games.

I think it's more a statement that they don't want to participate in the App Store race-to-the-bottom approach.

Thraktor

NFC could "sense" them, but the location would have to be done by two cameras or capacitive touch screen. If the final screen turns out to be capacitive, this game mechanic would be possible.

You could also use NFC-compatible Pokémon cards to play an updated version of Pokémon Trading Card Game with friends online, for instance.

It should (in theory at least) be possible for the location to be determined by NFC. NFC has pretty high signal attenuation, so if they put perhaps three or four NFC antennae in there it should be able to triangulate the position well enough. I'm just speculating, though, I haven't actually seen such a thing implemented anywhere yet.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Can you imagine Nintendo making microtransactions so simple and thoughtless with the upad that all people need to do is press their credit card against the touch screen to make purchases?

or i could enter the details once and then i just have to click the BUY button so i don't have to go scrambling for my credit card each time ;)

watershed

Banned
Looking at the slides and transcript NFC sounds like it will allow some Spyro type stuff, probably to open additional revenue streams.

Suck my left nut, Nintendo. Paid DLC can die in a fire. Keep making bonus shit unlockable like you always have.

Wrong reading of it imo...

they're saying once people get fed up of the game, they can release packs of new content. Which would be great!

I'd rather they give me some new Mario Kart tracks than release another Mario Kart in the same generation. Or once I've beaten every level on a Mario platformer and unlocked every thing... I'd be totally cool with them providing some extra content say six months down the line to make me go back.

Seiru

Banned
I think it's more a statement that they don't want to participate in the App Store race-to-the-bottom approach.

Hm, that could be true. But the way the tweet is phrased is all about comparing digital prices to retail prices, and the only way digital sales wouldn't "cannibalize" retail sales is if it was priced similarly.

AzaK

yoshiarmor.jpg

Yeah but if Nintendo do it you bet they'll make it more interesting than only "Give us yo moneez". Unlock them with coins earned from your 3DS pedometer. Unlock with coins earned from Club Nintendo, or just playing their games.

Gaspode_T

Nintendo DLC...never thought I'd see the day

Unlock Luigi $1.99
Unlock Toad $1.99
Star Road Expansion $4.99

...maybe it was only a matter of time

royalan

New Tweet

We should not decline 3rd parties if they want to offer item billing

I believe. NOW I believe. Nintendo is making a DIRECT play for 3rd parties with this online infrastructure.

"As a software maker, Nintendo believes that its packaged software should be sold to our consumers in a form so that the consumers will know in advance that they can enjoy playing the software they purchased just as it is. We believe that our consumers will be able to feel more secure if we offer our add-on content as an additional structure in which those who love the game will be able to enjoy it in a deeper way for a prolonged play time. "

Sounds like they wont have any dlc that makes it that you have to buy the dlc.

Nintendo DLC...never thought I'd see the day

Unlock Luigi $1.99
Unlock Toad $1.99
Star Road Expansion $4.99

...maybe it was only a matter of time

Nintendo will not do this. If third parties want to, they can, but I refuse to believe Nintendo will do this with their titles.

What is with Nintendo and their investor announcements? I swear the investor's meeting announcements have been better than E3 for the past 3 years.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
"As a software maker, Nintendo believes that its packaged software should be sold to our consumers in a form so that the consumers will know in advance that they can enjoy playing the software they purchased just as it is. We believe that our consumers will be able to feel more secure if we offer our add-on content as an additional structure in which those who love the game will be able to enjoy it in a deeper way for a prolonged play time. "

Sounds like they wont have any dlc that makes it that you have to buy the dlc.

So (potentially) instead of having a game like Super Mario Galaxy 2 next gen, we will get levels added through DLC.... interesting.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
For the digital sales of the content, we are also considering the future possibility of digital distribution of packaged software, which is often referred to as “software download sales.” This concept was built into the design of the Nintendo 3DS, and we already have the necessary infrastructure. We will prepare the same infrastructure for the Wii U. However, we have not decided the concrete timing of when we will start it. The decision must be made by taking into consideration such factors as the relationship with the wholesalers and retailers, and the best way to be embraced by consumers, as well as the environment surrounding the market and consumers, such as the required memory capacity on consumers’ SD memory cards. However, as an option for the future, the significance of this business field will increase.

This worries me, what no store from day one? Still having to save on SD cards? Doesn't look good..

mclem

I really thought they'd try to have NSMB3 for the WiiU. WiiU's lineup is going to be pretty barren at the start with so many resources going to 3DS.

Well, isn't New Super Mario Bros Mii going to be NSMB3? It already seems to be lined up, unless it's been unexpectedly canned.

Top Bottom