• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is removing games from my Wii U & 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaiku

The first time that I saw this thread, I knew that detective GAF will caught the OP.

But still, I don't understand, what he was doing that deserved an account cancel?

The main issues are setting up multiple accounts to amass Club Nintendo points, to maximize the rewards, and using Nintendo to ship out the rewards to the whoever purchases the items from TTH.
Both are TOS violations and resulted in Nintendo doing what they did.

I honestly don't see the issue with the former, but since Nintendo does use this as a reference point, it makes sense why they would want to limit it.
However, using Nintendo as a personal courier is wrong. If you wanna try and recoup some of your losses, you do that on your own.
It's the latter which alerted Nintendo in the first place. TTH was doing ok with having multiple accounts for years.

Everything else are assumptions from other posters, which I honestly think is unwarranted.

Busaiku

I'm talking about stuff like people assuming TTH obtaining these codes through illicit means and these unrelated character attacks.

I'm talking about stuff like people assuming TTH obtaining these codes through illicit means and these unrelated character attacks.

All codes were obtained legally from buying the games brand new. The said games were not returned or traded. They were kept by myself, family, and friends.

Busaiku

Right, I'm not accusing you of anything.
I think everyone assuming you got those improperly are making just doing that.

n64coder

All codes were obtained legally from buying the games brand new. The said games were not returned or traded. They were kept by myself, family, and friends.

You said that you gave proof to Nintendo. Where is this proof? It shouldn't be a big deal to post it here. All we have are your statements which contradict each other.

Glass Joe

You still got all those proofs of purchase that you sent to Nintendo, OP? I'd like to see them too. Don't take this post to be as hostile as it probably comes across, either. If you're that good of a deal-hunter, I'd love to know how you do it!

This is part of the story that is curious to me. Seems like it would be a major pain in the ass and a lot of legwork for the OP to gather hundreds of games receipts from over time. But apparently was able to scan and send them as requested in no time flat, like it wasn't even a chore? If so, he's pretty well organized, I toss my receipts out.

You said that you gave proof to Nintendo. Where is this proof? It shouldn't be a big deal to post it here. All we have are your statements which contradict each other.

Proof was sent to Nintendo. It's none of yours or anyone elses business otherwise. Or do we have to have every user here post receipts of games they are playing to make sure it's legally obtained?

Proof was sent to Nintendo. It's none of yours or anyone elses business otherwise. Or do we have to have every user here post receipts of games they are playing to make sure it's legally obtained?

I don't think this is an "every user" sort of scenario, as not very many users have called to attention their peculiar behavior regarding the rewards program like you have.

Are you going to cease buying your friends & family their video games going forward in response to this action? Or will you simply shift your purchasing habits towards another company's offerings? Will that shift be dependent on the company offering rewards in return for the purchases?

GoaThief

There's that illegal thing again, why does OP keep going there when nobody has even hinted at him doing something illegal?

Is there something I/we are missing?

I don't think this is an "every user" sort of scenario, as not very many users have called to attention their peculiar behavior regarding the rewards program like you have.

Are you going to cease buying your friends & family their video games going forward in response to this action? Or will you simply shift your purchasing habits towards another company's offerings? Will that shift be dependent on the company offering rewards in return for the purchases?

Yes. As pointed in the thread earlier; I stopped going to Exxon, BP, Hobby Lobby, and Chik Fila. When it comes to corporations or people for that matter, who I don't agree with, I cut them out of my life.

That's brutal, particularly if those co-workers have families/bills etc to pay.

Also, it would be interesting to hear if OP will stop purchasing Nintendo games for his niece and nephew.

The route I may take is to buy them used so Nintendo doesn't get a dime.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Well, I don't actually want you to not have games. Hopefully the situation works itself out for you, TTH. Just don't be at all surprised if it doesn't, because you kind of messed up.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Proof was sent to Nintendo. It's none of yours or anyone elses business otherwise.
I think you're absolutely right about that.

But you've also said that you never returned or traded any of these games. Care to share a picture of your collection (both physical and digital), at least? I'd be curious to see exactly what kind of library would build up over the course of a 12000+ coin acquisition in two years.

BlitzKeeg

Yes. As pointed in the thread earlier; I stopped going to Exxon, BP, Hobby Lobby, and Chik Fila. When it comes to corporations or people for that matter, who I don't agree with, I cut them out of my life.

Sounds about right

Personal issues aside, you have clearly violated CN terms of service, as shown earlier in the thread, so any sort of action they take against you is completely justified. It says so right there in the TOS that they can delete your account and games. They don't even have to tell you.

donny2112

When it comes to corporations or people for that matter, who I don't agree with, I cut them out of my life.

This only works if you're 100% right all the time. Otherwise, you're limiting yourself from receiving opposing view points that may show how your own views should be changed.

Edit:
Reminds me of IDIC. Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations.

Sealtest

So a question about ToS, if I redeemed my mario kart 8 then redeemed my 8yo nephews who's part of my family account that's against tos?

Or am i just mis-reading alot of this.

donny2112

So a question about ToS, if I redeemed my mario kart 8 then redeemed my 8yo nephews who's part of my family account that's against tos?

Redeeming MK8 on the main and sub-account of a family account was fine, if I recall correctly.

Chaos17

Then he shouldn't have made a topic if he didn't wanted unwated attention.
We're on a public forum, not in a private chat here.

Busaiku

That's fine.
What you can't do is create an entirely separate account to redeem those coins.
Then he shouldn't have made a topic if he didn't wanted unwated attention.
We're on a public forum, not in a private chat here.
TTH did not know that these were against the TOS (which is TTH's fault for not reading it), but now it's been cleared up.

MegalonJJ

Banned
The route I may take is to buy them used so Nintendo doesn't get a dime.

If they're used, it means Nintendo already got the dime for those games, no? You're just buying used games for your niece and nephew to spite Nintendo instead of new games for your relatives...that kinda sucks.

Chopper

So you have a pretty hefty collection of physical 3DS and Wii U games as well as digital versions of all those games installed on their respective consoles? I'd sure like to see that.

hwy_61

Banned
Just to be sure, this doesn't apply to hardware, right? I've bought an embarrassing amount of 3DS' in the last few years...

Mr-Joker

Banned
So it turns out the OP was in the wrong, dun dun why am I not surprised?

To be fair, OP was very abrasive with Nintendo in the Nintendo Download threads on a weekly basis, to the point where he annoyed those even on his side.

Dude has some issues with Nintendo, and I can't help but think this is karma.

Indeed the guy was annoying in those thread.

rich-monopoly-man1.jpeg

Suddenly his name and avatar makes a lot of sense.

lt519

Just to be sure, this doesn't apply to hardware, right? I've bought an embarrassing amount of 3DS' in the last few years...

I just picturing you coming home, broken window, being scared someone may be still in the house only to find two of your 3DS gone and a note:

"Dear hwy_61,

You were in violation of our ToS so I have deleted your 3DS hardware.

With love,
Mario"

Rich!

I just picturing you coming home, broken window, being scared someone may be still in the house only to find two of your 3DS gone and a note:

"Dear hwy_61,

With love,
Mario"

no man, that's what used to happen before Nintendo discovered the internet

I heard from one of my mates at school that he was using exploiting club nintendo back in 2000, and Nintendo sent Waluigi round to smash his consoles and beat up his mum

hwy_61

Banned

"Dear hwy_61,

With love,
Mario"

Lol OK OK, that might've been a dumb question :p

Just for the record, I was maybe thinking more like they'd take points away from me for multiple 3DS systems registered.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member

"Dear hwy_61,

With love,
Mario"
I can imagine a Nintendo hit squad in Mario costumes.

Guys. Character attacks are unwarranted. If you wish to rake him over the coals, try to do it for things like his total disregard for TOS's and then subsequent surprise that said TOS was enforced.

Hugstable

Banned
I don't get this... if you had enough money to spend money to get all these games containing club Nintendo Coins... why would the games you lost matter that much to you? Why not just buy them again? If you really spent that kinda money on games, what problem would it be to buy these games. I'm so confused about all this, and it seems fishy that you would buy all these games just for points.

Also take some pics of your collection, would be nice to see

jblank83

You made it everyone's business when you posted a public topic on the internet. You could always stop posting in said topic if you don't want people to ask you questions about your crazy number of coins/games, especially directly to said people.

Yonafunu

Wait

I still don't get why OP did all of this. What are you going to do with that many coins? This is going through a ton of trouble, and for what?

I don't get it.

n64coder

I wasn't asking to send all of your receipts to us. I think you should be able to post some of them though. Where do you typically buy your games new? Do you put all of the receipts in a folder or shoebox? I could definitely use some tips to improve my record keeping at tax time.

mo60

So why did you want to collect that many club nintendo coins TC ? You can easily reach platinum every single year without doing what you did.

maxcriden

Just because others haven't had an issue, doesn't mean its acceptable. All Nintendo has to do is check their system to see who's been redeeming codes that weren't issued to their CN account and they can start handing out more bans.

As posted in this thread already, the TOS states that rewards are not to be resold. They would be well within their rights to remove any game on your account that was obtained with a code that wasn't issued to that account.

To clarify, I wasn't saying others haven't had an issue with Nintendo. I was saying others haven't had a moral issue with it.

I wasn't asking to send all of your receipts to us. I think you should be able to post some of them though. Where do you typically buy your games new? Do you put all of the receipts in a folder or shoebox? I could definitely use some tips to improve my record keeping at tax time.

Seriously? :-/

This thread is getting a little wild. My initial opinion hasn't changed: OP broke the ToS to game the system, got caught, got banned.

Is it a bummer that you're not allowed to buy and register multiple copies of games? Sure, but if the coins are rewarded for surveys it makes sense Nintendo doesn't want to reward duplicates and it is common practice for companies to limit the rewards that can be earned, regardless of how much money you spend.

It seems strange that the OP is railing against this pretty cut and dry situation. At the same time, I don't see that it's necessary to accuse the OP of any wrongdoing and there's certainly no reason to call for pictures of literally anything from him. It's irrelevant to this thread. Whether he has the dosh to toss at multiple copies of games or is stealing codes, it's already clear why his account was banned and there's no harm in giving him the benefit of the doubt about irrelevant details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom