• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdanVC

How do you guys manage to stay calm and patiently wait till Nintendo announces this damn thing? I'm going crazy. I don't even want to play Wii U anymore. I'm just done with Nintendo at the moment since right now, it's like they don't care about anything anymore since they don't talk about anything! Thank god Pokémon Go has keept me busy this month otherwise I would have quit gaming completely since I only own a Wii U (and a 3DS but I haven't touched in years) since there's nothing that interests me to play there at the moment. Just hope all this wait will be worth it and they don't screw things up ala Wii U again : /

How do you guys manage to stay calm and patiently wait till Nintendo announces this damn thing? I'm going crazy. I don't even want to play Wii U anymore. I'm just done with Nintendo at the moment since right now, it's like they don't care about anything anymore since they don't talk about anything! Thank god Pokémon Go has keept me busy this month otherwise I would have quit gaming completely since I only own a Wii U (and a 3DS but I haven't touched in years) since there's nothing that interests me to play there at the moment. Just hope all this wait will be worth it and they don't screw things up ala Wii U again : /

I'm losing it too. haha. Despite there being great games on Wii U and 3DS that I have yet to finish, it is just not a pleasure for me to use the hardware. Hoping that a new 3DS or new 3DS XL this fall will help tide me over and get through a little bit more of my backlog.

Doesn't help that my Gamepad screen looks like utter garbage due to dust getting trapped inside when I applied a screen protector. That was a fail on my part.

LordOfChaos

"Due to Vulkan"
Consoles have always had low-level GPU access. This isn't special to Vulkan and the NX

Yep. It's like when everyone was like, how is Sony going to respond to DX12. But, they never needed to...PS4 shipped with GNM from day one. PS3 had LibGCM, even DirectX 11.x
the x is for xbox
wasn't just a DX11 spinoff, it was much lower level.

Vulkan isn't adding anything except better industry compatibility to the NX, or any other console that adds it.

How do you guys manage to stay calm and patiently wait till Nintendo announces this damn thing?

Easy:

1) I have a PS4 with lots of new games for me to play
2) I have a huge PS3 and VC backlog
3) I have lots of old games on N64/GCN/Wii/GB/GBA/DS that I haven't played in years
4) NES Classic Edition in the fall

Banned
Backlogs help me out. Specifically me trying to go back and beat all the NES and SNES and GBA zelda and metroid I missed.

Plus I haven't even tackled my Wii U or 3DS backlog.

Thanks for the repost!
It definitely seems likes the days of August 20th-22nd for announcement and September 13th for actual conference dates might be a possibility. Would be interesting if they follow this same pattern with NX as well...

Anyway it goes we should be hearing rumors about invites either going out on Friday or Monday if this event is to happen by the second week of September.

There really isn't any basis for this kind of reveal now considering those 3DS and Wii U events were held years ago before Nintendo Directs were ever a thing. I'm still not sure that they are going to hold a press event or if it's even necessary. Sure, by conventional wisdom you could say, "Yes, of course." But those same people saying that probably assumed the NX was going to be revealed at E3 or the NX was going to release this year. Never say never, especially to Nintendo.

There really isn't any basis for this kind of reveal now considering those 3DS and Wii U events were held years ago before Nintendo Directs were ever a thing. I'm still not sure that they are going to hold a press event or if it's even necessary. Sure, by conventional wisdom you could say, "Yes, of course." But those same people saying that probably assumed the NX was going to be revealed at E3 or the NX was going to release this year. Never say never, especially to Nintendo.

Nintendo never said the NX was going to be at E3 prior to them saying it wasn't going to be at E3. Kimishima said last year and this year that they will talk about the NX in 2016. Nintendo said NX will be talked about this fall. It lines up.

Schnozberry

I'm actually wondering now if he was present in the previous negotiations that were going on back when the 3ds was in development. Talk about a possible full circle of events taking place to reach the current stage leading up to the NX!

He was hired after the Wii U's development was mostly.complete. I doubt he had much to do.with the 3DS, unless he cost Nvidia the deal from the other side last time around.

udivision

How do you guys manage to stay calm and patiently wait till Nintendo announces this damn thing?

It's pretty fun when the rest of the industry is attending some game show and all these new or unreleased games are being announced/demoed and the biggest Nintendo-related news is that they're trying a new way to sell us NES games again.

Nintendo never said the NX was going to be at E3 prior to them saying it wasn't going to be at E3. Kimishima said last year and this year that they will talk about the NX in 2016. Nintendo said NX will be talked about this fall. It lines up.

Learn. To. Read.

To clarify (even though I shouldn't have to) I said conventional wisdom would dictate that they would announce a new console at E3. I didn't say Nintendo themselves said they were going to showcase it at E3.

Ck1

Banned
He was hired after the Wii U's development was mostly.complete. I doubt he had much to do.with the 3DS, unless he cost Nvidia the deal from the other side last time around.

Yeah that's what I was wondering if he had a hand in the deal while he was working for Nvidia? I'm not so sure anymore that Nintendo and Nvidia actually had a bad falling out the way speculation painted things. I think that Nvidia was probably unable to provide Nintendo with what they were looking for at that time so they just "stopped short" and parted ways.

Especially if the timing is right now and they are back in bed with each other for NX! Things don't usually "de-sour" that quickly and then "sweeten" when a deal goes down very badly...

Retrobox

It's pretty fun when the rest of the industry is attending some game show and all these new or unreleased games are being announced/demoed and the biggest Nintendo-related news is that they're trying a new way to sell us NES games again.

That IS pretty funny. It would be EVEN funnier if they actually succeeded in doing that...
Oh wait, people are going crazy about that tiny box online. Welp.

J@hranimo

Banned

Play other games...although you said you only have Nintendo platforms right now so =/

Really just find some other things to occupy the time. It has been a long wait, but I could wait even longer.

Learn. To. Read.

To clarify (even though I shouldn't have to) I said conventional wisdom would dictate that they would announce a new console at E3. I didn't say Nintendo themselves said they were going to showcase it at E3.
I guess I'll help you. Nintendo said they'll talk about it this fall. They never said anything about E3. We all may have thought it would've been E3, but this time there's more merit.

I guess I'll help you. Nintendo said they'll talk about it this fall. They never said anything about E3. We all may have thought it would've been E3, but this time there's more merit.

Besides a Nintendo of Canada representative, they never gave a timetable and he said that after the console would not be announced at E3.

Monster Hunter and being busy at work has helped take my mind off the seemingly never ending agony of waiting for info on the NX.

Rodin

For what it's worth (probably nothing), screenshots of "Puzzle Box" are under a folder named "nx" > http://puzzlebox.bplus.at/nx/screens/

Interesting, but there's a mouse in those screens?

Learn. To. Read.

It's not 2005 anymore, "conventional wisdom" has changed. Multinationals do their own press conferences to announce their products now, because they like to have complete control over the reveal and to catalyze the attention of the media. I mean, even Microsoft and Sony decided to reveal their consoles at their own events before E3. I wonder why nobody ever asks Apple why they don't reveal the new iPhone at the Mobile World Congress.

majik13

For what it's worth (probably nothing), screenshots of "Puzzle Box" are under a folder named "nx" > http://puzzlebox.bplus.at/nx/screens/

probably nothing, but interesting that all the screens are within what looks to be a small monitor/screen. Something almost tablet sized, but with a stand, but hard to judge. Kinda like how 3DS game screens are usually shown with a 3DS border. Again, I dont even know how relevant these screens are.

Earendil

Well, I'm going to be really honest here: I hardly ever have time to play games anymore. I'm far more interested in reading speculations than I am in trying to find tiny little snippets of time in my day to game. I'm not really even all that hyped for the NX, I just like reading peoples' different theories on what it might be.

It's not 2005 anymore, "conventional wisdom" has changed. Multinationals do their own press conferences to announce their products now, because they like to have complete control over the reveal and to catalyze the attention of the media. I mean, even Microsoft and Sony decided to reveal their consoles at their own events before E3. I wonder why nobody ever asks Apple why they don't reveal the new iPhone at the Mobile World Congress.

I said they won't have a press conference. Period.

I said they won't have a press conference. Period.

That probably wouldn't be surprising, and wouldn't be that big of a deal either as long as they do invite press to a demo event at the same time (or earlier).

Really, the best idea I think would be a press conference at which they show a video (Digital Event) so you can get some of the applause in there, which apparently makes everyone happy.

maxcriden

Rösti;213959343 said:
And NVIDIA presentations on Aug 22.

Grazie. Looking forward to it.

It's gonna be an event in front of press.

That could describe a press conference or an ND shown to press followed by/in conjunction with demo units.

After the Miyamoto Skyward Sword demo why ever leave something to live human error chance again?

NateDrake

Question: Whether it is a digital event or a conference similar to the Wii U Event from 2012, does it matter to folks watching at home? You see the same stuff regardless of the venue they select to reveal NX. It's not like seeing the media sit there at the Wii U 2012 Event influenced the enjoyment you had from home.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Question: Whether it is a digital event or a conference similar to the Wii U Event from 2012, does it matter to folks watching at home? You see the same stuff regardless of the venue they select to reveal NX. It's not like seeing the media sit there at the Wii U 2012 Event influenced the enjoyment you had from home.

No. Live events are pointless now for fans. I don't need to hear paid shills in the audience cheering for every little thing like at the E3 conferences. The only point is to stroke the ego of the media, which, to be honest, Nintendo might benefit from.

jeffers

do you not find joy in seeing a bunch of journos simultaneously clapping at the same time as they are typing on their fleet of macbooks?

NateDrake

No. Live events are pointless now for fans. I don't need to hear paid shills in the audience cheering for every little thing like at the E3 conferences. The only point is to stroke the ego of the media, which, to be honest, Nintendo might benefit from.

Media and press are obviously going to get hands-on time with NX either at or soon after the reveal. It's not like Nintendo is going to show and then not let anyone touch it for months. I'm just trying to better understand why folks are fixated on the platform they choose to reveal NX.

Definitely doesn't matter. On a personal level, I generally enjoy the Direct format more, since it is much better structured and allows Nintendo to be creative with their presentations.

Anth0ny

live things are more exciting than pre-recorded things. that's just how the world works.

Speak for yourself. I can't watch an event without wondering how well the media people can see the screen, otherwise I worry about their comfort levels at the event!
/s

But nah we've had threads about this before, some people like when you can see an audience and hear applause for whatever reason. I don't think it makes a difference but combining the two into a press conference where they show a demo video (digital event) seems like the best of both worlds.

maxcriden

It absolutely doesn't matter. I agree with you. I think a digital event + press hands-on is wiser.

It definitely changes who the audience is (even if the audience is also people at home anyway) and how the presentations are conducted, arguably probably for the better because the press are going to have a hard time evangelizing your game if one of your big selling points is "the pipes are clear now!"

Nintendo has a habit of treating their consumers like idiots, like that time they literally shipped Super Mario Galaxy 2 with an instructional DVD.

Banned
I want my scripted applause and cheers, Nate. I want twilight princess 2004 reactions again. Don't take this away from me.

thefro

I think the non-gaming media/tech bloggers pay more attention to a conference than a digital event.

I personally prefer the hype of live conferences, but it's obvious to me Nintendo's shift to Direct presentations is to avoid the awkwardness of clunkers like E3 08/12 and the Skyward Sword flub ups.

I mean, 2014 was pretty perfect, so I guess it doesn't matter in the end.

majik13

A live event gives it a more important and major feel, more spectacle and excitement Regardless of the content and info being the same as a recorded event.
It can also potentially lead to a more positive journalists reaction and impressions.

Though, there are still pros and cons with either presentation style.

maxcriden

I want my scripted applause and cheers, Nate. I want twilight princess 2004 reactions again. Don't take this away from me.

You will likely not get that at a Nintendo event for a long time, if ever.

I think the non-gaming media/tech bloggers pay more attention to a conference than a digital event.

I see what you're saying, but ultimately I think it all comes down to PR and marketing. In that sense I don't think it matters one way or the other and much of the time in recent years Nintendo has been more successful with digital events/Directs.

Malus

You can just watch the many reaction videos posted to youtube. They even record the crowd at Nintendo world store.

Imo, there is some excitement to a live event. But it's less about the audience applause and more about being on the edge of my seat thinking, "Will they screw it up? Will someone fumble their words, will a demo glitch out, will an awkward guy in a suit ramble on for way too long, etc. Or will they totally own it?"

But I do definitely prefer the pacing and the clean presentation of Directs. Plus those skits they've been doing are great.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
With Nintendo's history of press conferences (including the disastrous Skyward Sword demo, as well as the awful Nintendoland demo), I want them to do this in a Digital Event that they can edit for clear, concise informational delivery. No confusion, no chance for system/wireless error--this needs to be done right.

Yado

They should just copy whatever Sony did and do that. Sony had a non-e3 press conference to announce the PS4 right?

We live in an age where you could just look up fanboys freaking out to major announcements on Youtube. Hell, the best reaction to Sony's E3 event last year (Gametrailers) didn't even happen at the show.

Ogodei

Not calm right now, but that's because of a huge job interview next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom