• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazoo

The dock won't have anything special other than a cooling unit and providing power for the handheld. Anything else will just jack up the price on the handheld

Yes, but allowing faster than handheld regime with a fan is a simple Nintendo way of doing things.

ggx2ac

It is reasonable to think Nintendo push devs for the docked mode situation, whereas the undocked mode should be handled automatically by the OS (downscaling resolution by downclocking the GPU).

I guess as long as two sets of assets aren't required for different resolutions then I guess this would be fine.

Although, the SCD wouldn't really be needed for a performance boost would it? (Unless we're assuming it would be needed for games to look as good as on current gen consoles.)

Yeah, ARM A9 or A15 being best case scenarios isn't "lol nintendo" and is totally reasonable? Based on some insight to modern tech? Yes the Wii U happened, it is important to understand why, and until you do, you're always going to miss read the history behind their hardware. I mean just a couple nights ago you were arguing with me that SNES had superior specs to GBA. Tech is tech man, and if you are in a speculation thread, expect people to speculate, don't tell others how to think either, if you believe NX can't match XB1, that is fine, if you think NX won't use 16bit mode for UE4 games (developers will of course decide on their own) that is up to you to believe, but it is technically possible in those specs to out perform PS4 in UE4 games.

I never argued SNES had better specs wtf. I argued GBA had snes quality visual and you were arguing GBA had PSX/Saturn quality visuals.
As for the rest, yes A15 was a best case scenario, which is basically Tegra K1 CPU btw. Wii U isn't the metric I use. In it's history, Nintendo always used cheaper tech especially in handheld. Look at Gameboy, Gameboy advance, NDS or even 3DS.

ggx2ac

I never argued SNES had better specs wtf. I argued GBA had snes quality visual and you were arguing GBA had PSX/Saturn quality visuals.
As for the rest, yes A15 was a best case scenario, which is basically Tegra K1 CPU btw. Wii U isn't the metric I use. In it's history, Nintendo always used cheaper tech especially in handheld. Look at Gameboy, Gameboy advance, NDS or even 3DS.

Nintendo merged their hardware division and Genyo Takeda isn't the manager of it, so can we be certain that things are just going to stay the same as the last 30 years?

rockyt

What if scenario the NX dock is a basic dock with the controller that'd gonna be sold at a base price. Nvidia providing the x1 at slim to no margin but the doc will be what Nvidia makes money on in the form of GPU switch in and out for the enthusiast who want the better graphics. I'm starting to think the dock is like a barebone pc now since the seeing the patent.

majik13

You probably forgot, briefly check the related patent threads and it mentions about getting rewards for sharing your SCD with other people's NXs.

Which referring to the other posts talking about active cooling right now.

I'm not going to bother thinking the NX has 2 performance modes while docked/undocked.

I'm going to assume now it's all the SCD. (No docks, unless the SCD is a dock.)

It's because of getting intrigued from how it said in the patent it would be able to improve graphics/audio wirelessly, not just with a wired connection.

Scenario:

I'm outside somewhere and I pass by someone's SCD. Don't know how close a distance I have to get but if they are sharing it to get rewards, I can use it to improve the visuals of the game I am playing in portable mode. Or at worst, only getting a CPU boost for AI and weather effects for example.

But it sounds awesome that this can be done wirelessly, assuming AC type wifi, I don't know about any better versions of wifi.

Edit: Would it be a huge battery drain?

Don't know but this would still be nice to use at home if I don't want to bother using the TV or can't use it.

Thanks, been following all these NX threads and first time hearing of this. Saw the SCD patent but I guess missed this part. Not sure how since it sounds pretty intreating.
Hard time beleiving Nintendo will actual use it though.

z0m3le

Banned

A15 obviously wasn't a best case scenario if we are getting something more powerful, you were letting your emotions dictate your speculations, and that means your reasoning is your own and can't really be argued against.

3DS has glasses-less 3D, NX is a hybrid if you are following the rumors that this thread is a part of, and that means that it is clearly not just a handheld device. In terms of consoles, we have heard from I think it was LCGeek that this reminded them of N64 and Gamecube Nintendo rather than the last 2, and both of those were high tech machines for their time.

Durante

it doesn't follow tech or what is achievable, you just "lol nintendo" your way to your conclusions.
The fun part is, if you evaluate the strategies of (a) looking at what is technically achievable and (b) "lol nintendo"ing your way to conclusions on the last 3 hardware platforms released by Nintendo, then (b) seems at least as successful, if not more so, than (a).

z0m3le

Banned
The fun part is, if you evaluate the strategies of (a) looking at what is technically achievable and (b) "lol nintendo"ing your way to conclusions on the last 3 hardware platforms released by Nintendo, then (b) seems at least as successful, if not more so, than (a).

Neither are successful sadly, one is just being disappointed before the reveal and the other is being excited for the possibilities before the reveal and disappointed later.

ggx2ac

May as well use this now than not use it if NX gets announced.

665147.jpg

665981.jpg

Edit: Fixed for accuracy.

MuchoMalo

Banned
6 months ago we had no infos. 6 months ago you and I weren't expecting an hybrid.
I just dont "lol nintendo". Looking at a company's history on how they make hardware isn't "lol nintendo". Following the trend set by Nintendo's handheld, the sane expectation was Nintendo going fir a handheld with visuals looking roughly like Wii U but with some edges cut down. Now we have people claiming outperform XB1 or PS4. Nintendo isn't the company using cutting edge technology or going for horsepower. And now we have people expecting them to beat XB1 and PS4 for UE4 titles.

That doesn't make you any less of a killjoy. :p Also, using anything newer than a Tegra K1 would already be going against their history with handhelds. You're also looking at it strictly as a handheld from a hardware design point of view, meaning that you believe Nintendo has decided to give all of their console fans the finger. I'm not gonna argue with you again, but you really have crossed the line between realism and pessimism, even if you don't realize it.

Neither are successful sadly, one is just being disappointed before the reveal and the other is being excited for the possibilities before the reveal and disappointed later.

Somebody gets it. This whole "low expectations to avoid being disappointed later" thing has always been complete and utter bullshit. You're just sad and you want other people to be sad with you if you think that way.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Why would first be important? They're not even for the same market. One is an upgrade and the other is a whole next gen system.

It doesn't matter if they're not targeting the same market, The media space is the same. First gets a lot of attention, the second needs to wait for the cool-down of the first to have a full impact. Of course you can do it also in parallel, but it wouldn't get the maximum coverage.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Is this a trustable source?

However, sources close to the project claim that Nintendo NX is indeed using a TEGRA Chip but not the X1. The company is partnering with Nvidia to use its upcoming TEGRA X2 that is more powerful compared to the original model.

Here we go.

ggx2ac

No, the article itself said to take this with a grain of salt. (Even though they claimed they had a source which is weird.)

Needless to say, this information should be taken with a massive grain of salt as Nintendo nor Nvidia has confirmed using a TEGRA chip but if the Japanese giant truly wants to expose its console to a wider audience like it says, it needs to use a more powerful chip.

They are claiming that the NX is using a stock X2 (I mean Parker) rather than a customised Pascal-based Tegra. Better to wait for Hot Chips at this point.

Edit: Reasons for thinking it is customised is how Thraktor compared the Denver cores to other A53/A72 and it wasn't as favourable.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Odd. Wonder who their source is.

MuchoMalo

Banned

I don't think they're reliable. I'm expecting that later today someone will make a thread and it will be locked.

Either way, we have 3 sources claiming Pascal and 2
if Digitimes even counts
claiming X1. Fun stuff.

Rodin

I think that still means "based on Pascal Tegra, which is more powerful than X1", rather than "Nintendo is straight up using X2". The "source" could easily be natedrake's contact though, as in, they don't have any and just ran this story lol

I don't think they're reliable. I'm expecting that later today someone will make a thread and it will be locked.

Either way, we have 3 sources claiming Pascal and 2
if Digitimes even counts
claiming X1. Fun stuff.
Digitimes doesn't count. What's the other source claiming X1?

MuchoMalo

Banned
I think that still means "based on Pascal Tegra, which is more powerful than X1", rather than "Nintendo is straight up using X2".

Eurogamer lol. I was actually originally going to type "1.25" with Digitimes being the ".25"

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Does it really matter?

An article like that should be either about (a) new news, or (b) sound confirmation of old leaks. This article does none of that.

Ck1

Banned
People are getting to caught up with raw specs versus real world needed performance for this device as a portable/hybrid. Just because there's a discussion going on about the NX running XbOne or PS4 level games on the go, doesn't mean they suddenly expect it to be on par hardware wise with those systems!

We completely understand that it's not feasible battery wise or form factor wise (probably for Nintendo) to expect this thing to pump out 600gflops-1tflop as in portable mode. But it won't need that level of power to match the current systems visuals on a much smaller screen.

ggx2ac

Does it really matter?

An article like that should be either about (a) new news, or (b) sound confirmation of old leaks. This article does none of that.

That's the really disappointing part.

I was reading it and it just felt like an ad for Nvidia. No useful information at all.

It doesn't matter if they're not targeting the same market, The media space is the same. First gets a lot of attention, the second needs to wait for the cool-down of the first to have a full impact. Of course you can do it also in parallel, but it wouldn't get the maximum coverage.
Meh. Doesn't mean anything still. It's up to the companies to create the hype with what they show. They're still two different types of systems for different experiences.

And yet we have e3 every year... Well... less Nintendo recently ;)

E-phonk

Banned
We might learn more on monday, as that's when Tegra-next is being introduced officially at the Hot Chips conference right?
Coincidentally or not by one of the guys who worked with ATI on the gamecube chip.

Oddduck

To be fair, Digitimes broke the story on NX being a hybrid device one month before Eurogamer did.

June 2nd, 2016

The sources pointed out that the Nintendo NX combines the video gaming experience with the mobile gaming experience. The device features a 5- to 7-inch display, controller and joystick for users to play as a mobile gaming product, but it is also able to connect to a TV for users to play as a video game system. Nintendo is now planning to add VR function to the device to satisfy the popular trend in the gaming market.

ggx2ac

We might learn more on monday, as that's when Tegra-next is being introduced officially at the Hot Chips conference right?
Coincidentally or not by one of the guys who worked with ATI on the gamecube chip.

We might learn, that it's a chip used for games. We probably won't learn that it is going to be used for NX unless Nintendo has authorised it.

E-phonk

Banned
We might learn, that it's a chip used for games. We probably won't learn that it is going to be used for NX unless Nintendo has authorised it.

Ofcourse not, but we might get a lot more info on performance, energy consumption, shader functions etc.. It's a quite technical showcase, not really focused on consumers.

ggx2ac

I just mean that all we keep talking about is Nvidia's GPU. No CPU, no ram, no storage. Just Nvidia.

I'm not sure what your getting at exactly, we've speculated those because we don't have much info from the leaks. We at least have insider info on how powerful the CPU is, just not its type.

In the WUST, no one knew the RAM but someone managed to guess 2GB of RAM correctly, but no one got the GPU right. I can't remember what was mentioned about the CPU other than being weak.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
And yet we have e3 every year... Well... less Nintendo recently ;)

What's the point in missing the E3 and making a separate announcement during something that would be like a E3 clone without all the benefits of E3 ( 3 days of hands-on from the biggest number of journalists being in the same place at once, including a good chunk mainstream media and the attention of the people who don't necessarily follow the gaming news so close during the rest of the year)?

I understand keeping expectations in tact, but some comments aren't being skeptical they're down right pessimistic! Everything we have to go by so far is rumors, so everything is just speculation within a margin of error and with good reasoning. We don't expect this thing to be a gtx 1050 or 1060, but it's not the WiiU either!

If any of the rumored developers porting games is to be believed, this system has no problems running current generation engines and games. Now whether that means extra work is needed to convert x86 code for ARM, not sure but the early whispers are nothing like what we heard about WiiU cpu and trying to make ports run on the hardware stable!

Once again putting all of the hardware aside, I think the OS will be the key factor to this product doing what we theorize it can do...

Yeah, I'm still stuck on the 540p/720p numbers being thrown out.

E-phonk

Banned
Maybe it's updated?

As they use the exact same image is in the 2014 patent I think they just read about it somewhere and assumed it was something new.

Edit: apparently the status changed to "granted" yesterday, but no change in the actual content.

Eradicate

Apparently that Bplus Games guy is teasing a new NX IP:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJMFrIlBzwr/

Probably already out there, and may be full of it, but figured I'd share! I'm going back and checking old NX threads and seeing if any of those old developers claiming to be working on NX games have made any progress or anything like that!

I'm literally moving to a new state in three days but the hype is making it hard to focus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom