• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

I'm very surprised we haven't really gotten any substantial new rumors since that initial rush. I was expecting a more consistent drip until the full reveal.

what if I were to tell you... that this leak revealed everything substantial about the nx?

because that's kinda the vibe i'm getting right now. what else are yall expecting from the unveiling besides new software?

Malus

what if I were to tell you... that this leak revealed everything substantial about the nx?

because that's kinda the vibe i'm getting right now. what else are yall expecting from the unveiling besides new software?

I hope it's shaped like a sphere.

atbigelow

The Wii U CPU would have been cool... if it was in the Wii. It really couldn't stand up to the competition of the current (PS3/360) or next gen (PS4/XBO). They probably thought they did some cool engineering, making a PPC tri-core and practically doubling the clock.

Just wasn't enough.

I've always thought that the NX is going to have a tough CPU. As stated, it's gonna be easier to scale GPU assets, but not as much when it comes to game logic.

balgajo

Guys, Wii U still have a lot of oil to burn. Nintendo will finnaly unlock some of it's hidden processing power this year. secret sauce awaits us.

Banned

A second device that isn't what people are expecting and eurogamer didn't report on. Oops.

A second device that isn't what people are expecting and eurogamer didn't report on. Oops.
6co2LE1.gif

I was talking to Blu about this the other day. Here are some things we came up with.

• The NX could end up with one of the faster CPUs of this gen.
    It could even be up to par or faster than the one in Neo, since it is not necessary for the CPU to increase as much for 4K resolution compared to the GPU. Going by LCGeek's info, the system will likely have the most CPU-centric design among all consoles.
  • This is a huge turnaround from the Wii U's design
    The Wii U's hardware has been constantly criticized for its relatively tiny CPU. While the GPU's power has been a disappointment for those who follow the WUST, devs didn't seem to have as many problems with it in comparison to the CPU. It is one of the reasons why the Frostbite engine couldn't run well on the Wii U, and was likely one of the reasons EA was so quick to drop game development for the system.
    Perhaps this shouldn't be a surprise, though. Miyamoto subtlety admitted that CPU power was an issue as far as the development of Pikmin, and he recently mentioned "CPU power" when someone asked him what would a next-gen system bring to the table. We also recently found out that Nintendo doubled the CPU cores and tripled the max speed of the ARM11s from the original 3DS to the n3DS. It seems that Nintendo is done with severely limiting the CPU of their systems.
  • It is more important for the CPU to be up to par with the other systems, even in portable mode.
    Unlike the GPU, the tasks that are usually giving to the CPU are alot harder to scale down. This gave Nintendo some grief when they tried to port certain games from the Wii U to the 3DS. For this system to be a proper hybrid, the CPU can't be clocked down as aggressively as the GPU could when it's in portable mode. The strength of the CPU is also more important for third parties developers. Even with a weaker GPU that will result to some effects and polygon models to be toned down, certain aspects like physics, background tasks, etc will be able to work as well as the other systems (assuming that it also has a good memory system). This will give Nintendo an advantage with ports that basically screwed them with the Wii U.

Overall, having a good CPU is the system is a good thing, and will be needed to make this hybrid idea work.

Interesting, maybe to support the use of streaming tech in clever ways.

The controller is probably also a big surprise.

I am also in the 7" tablet size camp. I can see some type of surprise with the SCD patent, maybe not in the short term but in the future.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

Well, I'm thinking of how the PS Neo leaked many months prior to its announcement or launch. We had actual hardware specs for that, including clock speeds. I wouldn't really expect Nintendo leaks to get that far, but I could see things like:

• Screen resolution and screen size
  • Estimates about what the specs are regarding the CPU, GPU, RAM, etc. (I know a new devkit is supposed to release this month, so I could see details coming from that)
  • More details on what the controllers look like and have (Wiimote vs. GamePad buttons, motion or not, etc.)
  • Any other gimmicks that might exist
  • How this whole hybrid thing is being implemented in games
Basically, I feel like what we've been given is a vague overview of the system, but none of the details have been filled in. We know the concept, but not really how it's been executed. Of course, maybe Nintendo will keep things under wraps compared to companies like Apple, Sony, and others. But I did expect a little bit more to release.

To those of you in the hybrid bandwagon, how do you feel about Nintendo advertising two separate retail mobile and console job positions?

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/08/...16/08/nintendo-nx-hand-held-hybrid-console/

Astral Dog

wonder, people are expecting 1080p for NX games, but, is there enough piwer there for Wii U games @ fullHD?

If its 2× or 3× Wii U is that enough for BotW at 1080p, and what about the graphical intensive games? I think they would still be 720p unless there is some GPU upgrade in the dock, but wouldnt that be expensive too?

Anth0ny

Well, I'm thinking of how the PS Neo leaked many months prior to its announcement or launch. We had actual hardware specs for that, including clock speeds. I wouldn't really expect Nintendo leaks to get that far, but I could see things like:

• Screen resolution and screen size
  • Estimates about what the specs are regarding the CPU, GPU, RAM, etc. (I know a new devkit is supposed to release this month, so I could see details coming from that)
  • More details on what the controllers look like and have (Wiimote vs. GamePad buttons, motion or not, etc.)
  • Any other gimmicks that might exist
  • How this whole hybrid thing is being implemented in games
Basically, I feel like what we've been given is a vague overview of the system, but none of the details have been filled in. We know the concept, but not really how it's been executed. Of course, maybe Nintendo will keep things under wraps compared to companies like Apple, Sony, and others. But I did expect a little bit more to release.

historically, not only do nintendo specs not get leaked, they aren't even given when the hardware is unveiled. or released!

i get the feeling that the answer to a lot of your points is going to be "it's exactly what you think" and a lot of those details aren't going to be filled in even when nintendo shows the thing. leak says the power is somewhere between wii u and ps4... after it's unveiled, I don't think anything more specific than that will come up in any official capacity.

It's funny how both sides of the argument are using this to "support" their belief be it a hybrid or using it to say there will be two separate systems lol!

At this point, I'd rather have it as a hybrid so Nintendo could focus on one system. But I'm a console owner over handheld, so I care more about power than portability.

The evidence for a portable and console position is out in the open though.

At this point, I'd rather have it as a hybrid so Nintendo could focus on one system. But I'm a console owner over handheld, so I care more about power than portability.

The evidence for a portable and console position is out in the open though.
Console only fans seem to be let down by this hybrid only because they won't get a higher power system-handheld side holding the console side back.

But we don't know that's for sure. Let's say it's a hybrid and they can do the whole SCD thing to where it's power level of PS4 when you buy an SCD add on, then I think console only fans will be more happy.

Console only fans seem to be let down by this hybrid only because they won't get a higher power system-handheld side holding the console side back.

But we don't know that's for sure. Let's say it's a hybrid and they can do the whole SCD thing to where it's power level of PS4 when you buy an SCD add on, then I think console only fans will be more happy.

Well yeah, but a lot of people here are drawing conclusions that there's going to be no real significant change once its plugged in a tv, which would effectively just make it a "portable" and not really a hybrid at all.

I can understand both view points. The major issue here with the hybrid is that portability seems to be priority, and its power is dependent on how much power it draws which affects battery power and heating significantly.

What's this about a controller leak? These threads move too fast and it's hard to figure out what is GAF's speculation and what might be leaks.

Schnozberry

Even if Nintendo were building separate devices for both markets, how big of a gap do you realistically expect in performance if they are to share the same library?

I think rather than try and parse the different compromises necessary to accomplish a unified library in multiple hardware configurations, they went down a road that lets them become more focused on software development and allows consumers maximum flexibility.

Also, I don't think the SCD is a viable product unless it's included in the box with an NX. "But this second expensive device to reach the performance of our competitor" isn't much of a sales pitch, especially when it would like eliminate any economic advantage that comes from NX's alleged friendly price point.

Malus

It's funny how both sides of the argument are using this to "support" their belief be it a hybrid or using it to say there will be two separate systems lol!

There's really only one side arguing anything (Team Two Systems/AMD).

Everyone else believes it's a hybrid because that's the most reputable leak/rumor we've had so far. Most thought it was two systems before Eurogamer, myself included.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
historically, not only do nintendo specs not get leaked, they aren't even given when the hardware is unveiled. or released!

i get the feeling that the answer to a lot of your points is going to be "it's exactly what you think" and a lot of those details aren't going to be filled in even when nintendo shows the thing. leak says the power is somewhere between wii u and ps4... after it's unveiled, I don't think anything more specific than that will come up in any official capacity.

Very, very true. I agree with all of that. I don't think my expectations were realistic—just hopeful. :p

KingBroly

Banned

Everyone else believes it's a hybrid because that's the most reputable leak/rumor we've had so far. Most thought it was two systems before Eurogamer, myself included.

If Nintendo does two systems, they won't have a different architecture from their portable, so AMD is basically out.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Keep in mind that the most expensive component in these devices (3DS, Vita, smartphones) is almost always the screen, usually by some margin. Nintendo is very likely to be using a pretty cheap screen in NX, perhaps saving as much as $20-$25 in cost compared to the 3DS. Push that money into the SoC & RAM, and you can actually get a pretty capable machine for ~$200 (especially as the lower resolution screen is less demanding on the GPU).

If the NX does not have a 3D screen I will be sad as when it worked, even on the original 3DS, the effect really gave you a feeling of much larger worlds... I was not a 3DS believer until I played a demo of OoT running on a 3DS at a mall... that did sell me the 3D screen experience.

nikatapi

If the NX does not have a 3D screen I will be sad as when it worked, even on the original 3DS, the effect really gave you a feeling of much larger worlds... I was not a 3DS believer until I played a demo of OoT running on a 3DS at a mall... that did sell me the 3D screen experience.

I love the 3D as well, especially now that Ninty has improved it so much on the n3DS. But unfortunately i don't think it's going to happen again on NX, they'd probably try to improve resolution and provide better graphics and battery life.

ggx2ac

Well yeah, but a lot of people here are drawing conclusions that there's going to be no real significant change once its plugged in a tv, which would effectively just make it a "portable" and not really a hybrid at all.

Once more since someone else said the exact same thing. It's only a portable if you're only thinking of just power.

As a hybrid, it is supposed to do things that it couldn't do separately as either console or handheld.

As a portable it can now do local multiplayer on one system, something that you'd find on a home console. As a home console it can be portable, something you couldn't do with the Wii U.

That's the short of it, still have to find out what features the dock has like HDD support etc.

I love the 3D as well, especially now that Ninty has improved it so much on the n3DS. But unfortunately i don't think it's going to happen again on NX, they'd probably try to improve resolution and provide better graphics and battery life.

3d is out because it does not work with more than one person, and NX is a mobile local multiplayer machine.

jdstorm

Banned
To those of you in the hybrid bandwagon, how do you feel about Nintendo advertising two separate retail mobile and console job positions?

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/08/.../08/nintendo-nx-hand-held-hybrid-console/

Mobile is probably for smartphone games on IOS/Android
Console = NX

Eradicate

NX is a bonner machine confirmed!

The one leak for the NX I believe!

Well, i do hope NX will age better because... well, google's your friend.

Whoa...

3d is out because it does not work with more than one person, and NX is a mobile local multiplayer machine.

Well...actually, there may be a way to kind of do it, assuming the detachable controllers have screens...or you can use your smartphone in tandem/as a controller for it. Remember that glasses-less 3D patent Nintendo has? (Though showing a guy in glasses!) If you take the concept and kind of reverse it (using eye tracking with the cameras and positioning via any number of methods, from IR to magnets to ultrasonic), each player could have their own little window into the game world relative to where they are, what they're looking at, how they are aiming the controller/phone, etc. That could make for a pretty fun setup really, like going around trying to find Toad's treasure, or playing Paper Mario and taking peeks behind the diorama level for clues!

Snakeyes

No. Don't group people in with the Polaris crew just because they think there will be more than one variant of the hardware later on.

MuchoMalo

Banned

You're assuming that everything will be done as it has been in the past, when they've already done things differently than you'd expect. Also, the screen specs are really important and hotly debated. I don't think that you need to downplay everything with "it's Nintendo doing what Nintendo do."

MuchoMalo

Banned
Mobile is probably for smartphone games on IOS/Android
Console = NX

This definitely isn't the case. It would say "mobile" in that case, and it certainly wouldn't be for retail marketing.

Most likely the departments will be merged after the reveal, or there will be a microconsole available at some point next year.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Think about it this way, why wouldn't you want someone with experience from marketing consoles and handhelds when your next system is a hybrid?

...OK, that is awesome! And it's Sharp too doing it! That could be a really cool "gimmick" for a new portable screen device!
And this time they'll call it: "Nintendo Dual Screen as dual like something totally different depending on how U look at it! There's no play like it."

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
With then focusing on just portable merging their businesses it would be good For once to see them going "full tech" this time

Pascal, tegra X2, 720p screen, free form display, SCD for the dock and so on.
Going full power also o the sw development too with many games avoiding their usual drought

...OK, that is awesome! And it's Sharp too doing it! That could be a really cool "gimmick" for a new portable screen device!

Yeah I'd never thought to search for videos before, seems they have been popping up for years, was a bit of a limited use for laptop and PC screens to be useful but makes sense for vehicles, and maybe games.

Samemind

So... a 1 screen clamshell design, with the lid being a mirror. Got it.
The mirror is just there to demonstrate that different viewing angles reveal different images. A gaming application would be to allow two people to have their own viewpoint using a single, full screen. So basically glasses-less simulview

G.ZZZ

With then focusing on just portable merging their businesses it would be good For once to see them going "full tech" this time

Pascal, tegra X2, 720p screen, free form display, SCD for the dock and so on.
Going full power also o the sw development too with many games avoiding their usual drought

More like shitty screen, 1 SM core 200 Mhz Maxwell, HDMI cable to connect to the TV.

KAL2006

Banned
NX Hybrid
$250 - Launch - March 2017

NX Handheld
$200 - Fall 2017

NX Micro Console
$180 - Fall 2017

Nintendo should be aiming for the above prices. However for launch it should be only the hybrid option so people understand the concept of having all games come out on a single platform and it also gives the system a gimmick.

MuchoMalo

Banned
NX Hybrid
$250 - Launch - March 2017

NX Handheld
$200 - Fall 2017

NX Micro Console
$180 - Fall 2017

Nintendo should be aiming for the above prices. However for launch it should be only the hybrid option so people understand the concept of having all games come out on a single platform and it also gives the system a gimmick.

You think that they'll charge $50 for a dock?

More like shitty screen, 1 SM core 200 Mhz Maxwell, HDMI cable to connect to the TV.

You forgot to say dual-core A35 @1 GHz and 1GB of RAM @15-20 GB/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom