• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTag

Banned
I legit You as a master of DQ. This is not my territory in the sense that I don't see things as You do and You write about. My point of view is that DQXI is a split project as it is today (tomorrow never knows) and so it is not payable just on 3Ds incarnation's success.
Let's pretend SE is Nintendo: why Bayonetta2, Xenoblade Cross, Splatoon or FE# are on Wii U when if they were on 3Ds would guarantee 7 times market? Bigger market it is not all there is.
They were on Wii U because Nintendo tried (and failed) to push their own hardware. Why is Square Enix trying (and failing) to push someone else's hardware (PS4) in Japan?

Kimawolf

People jumped on the Nvidia didn't announce anything tonight train and took it to another realm. If you explain that Q2 report didn't have to announce a win as Nintendo would have an NDA in place, they laughed it off or told people they were fools for believing that.

huh. sounds like craziness. Eh its too bad. I enjoyed the speculation. but if its legit crazyness then yeah id just not bother if i was you as well.

This thread seems to be fine for the most part, but maybe its fear of mods hahaha.

lo zaffo

Obviously, the 3DS couldn't handle those games.

Funny you brought that up, though, because that may be the issue Nintendo is aiming to fix with the NX. They seem to want a handheld powerful enough to handle games that need more graphical power. The next Smash Bros, for example, will not have to be toned down due to the limits of their handheld.
In my eyes 3Ds has a Bayonetta2 and it is Kid Icarus, 3Ds will have a Splatoon and it will be Metroid federation something, 3Ds has Xenoblade Cross and it is Xenoblade.
Nintendo never consider hardware resources as a limit for a project because that would prove that hardware department is incapable of deliver the right stuff.
I have to admit that Xenoblade Cross and Splatoon and FE# are not Giga-projects that can let Jpn live in peace whether DQXI should start a fire.

People jumped on the Nvidia didn't announce anything tonight train and took it to another realm. If you explain that Q2 report didn't have to announce a win as Nintendo would have an NDA in place, they laughed it off or told people they were fools for believing that.

That is so ridiculous, but PE and the others are likely very desperate and will take anything at this point. If anything, the evasion of the question about Tegra was very suspicious. If they are thinking that Nvidia is not involved with Nintendo at all, they are setting themselves to fall hard if that's not the case.

Man.. don't think even WUST was that bad in the way PlayerEssence is taking it.

In my eyes 3Ds has a Bayonetta2 and it is Kid Icarus, 3Ds will have a Splatoon and it will be Metroid federation something, 3Ds has Xenoblade Cross and it is Xenoblade.
Nintendo never consider hardware resources as a limit for a project because that would prove that hardware department is incapable of deliver the right stuff.
I have to admit that Xenoblade Cross and Splatoon and FE# are not Giga-projects that can let Jpn live in peace whether DQXI should start a fire.
I don't know about that. Miyamoto even admitted to limits of the Wii U's CPU while he was developing Pikmin 3, and the n3DS got a massive boost of CPU power. They are not as ignorant or prideful as some believe about their system's shortcomings.

ggx2ac

A large cache or embedded memory pool is definitely something to look out for. Nintendo has dedicated around 30% of their last few custom dies to embedded memory (3DS, Wii U CPU & GPU), so they're obviously happy about dropping down big pools of SRAM and eDRAM on their chips. Typically this is so that the bulk of the data accesses (primarily the framebuffer) can remain on-die; increasing bandwidth and reducing latency and power consumption. This is actually a potential insight into one of the reasons Nintendo have switched to Nvidia for NX, as we've recently learnt that Maxwell and Pascal implement tile-based rendering, which is intended to achieve pretty much the same thing by optimising framebuffer access patterns to maximise the proportion of them that hit cache rather than main memory. What this would mean from Nintendo's point of view is that they could achieve the same goal with a much smaller pool of memory (perhaps 4MB compared to 32MB) and could do so in a way which is invisible to developers, so they only have to manage a single memory pool. It actually wouldn't surprise me if they could get the same or better performance at lower cost and power consumption by combining a large cache with a 64 bit memory interface than a smaller cache and a 128 bit interface.

It does sound neat that they could end up with less cost on their embedded RAM because of the tile based rendering. I can't comment on much else until general specs are revealed or a teardown of the NX.

I have to wait till get I home to see the footage from Nvidia's conference call today.

Also, man that recent patent today helps explain why the NX could be cheap.

The NX can be 31 devices for all I care. Just give me a home console option that plays ports of all the big games at 1080p.

Is it really that difficult or painful to accept that you should just buy a Sony/MS console or a PC if you want to play the big AAA games? Nintendo fans should be used to that by now.

I can't even keep track if his actions at this point. Tells people to believe what they want, but will enforce a notion that Nvidia had to say something tonight, and the fact that they didn't proves they aren't involved. But then shutsdown anyone who disagrees with him when they explain the reality of the situation.

Of course nVidia isn't involved.

NX is a bionic octopus. nVidia don't make components for bionic octopi. Wake up sheeple!

But yes seriously, people need to realize that there is a difference between credible journalism for major publications and freelancers cherrypicking various factoids in an attempt to prove their preconceived notions. I would be beyond shocked if the Eurogamer report winds up being false (not that they have all the details or the final product is exactly as they reported, by false I mean it's all proven to be bullshit, including any nVidia involvement.)

For what it's worth I greatly enjoy your posts here and this thread spawned by your rumor, so I'd love if you kept at it!

Ck1

Banned
I still think it could be multiple devices but that doesn't mean the tegra stuff isn't real.

No I definitely agree that the Tegra stuff sounds legit, but many act like it's impossible for Nintendo to possibly be working with both companies.

Not I definitely agree that the Tegra stuff sounds legit, but many act like it's impossible for Nintendo to possibly be working with both companies.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had meetings and potentially price negotiations with both companies throughout the development of the NX but it would make next to no sense to actually release two devices with two chip sets made by two completely different companies, thus needing two completely different sets of vendors for each device which greatly complicates both cost and complexity in logistics and development.

In my opinion anyway.

Banned

Is it really that difficult or painful to accept that you should just buy a Sony/MS console or a PC if you want to play the big AAA games? Nintendo fans should be used to that by now.
Yes. I don't want to spend over $300 to play like 10 games I enjoy over a five year period.

People mock the GameCube but I owned over 23 games for it and it had most of the third party support I cared for outside of mainline FF and MGS.

Dmax3901

Why the hell would Nintendo let them even mention the NX before they've made their official announcement? People are dumb as fuck.

BD1

Banned
That is so ridiculous, but PE and the others are likely very desperate and will take anything at this point. If anything, the evasion of the question about Tegra was very suspicious. If they are thinking that Nvidia is not involved with Nintendo at all, they are setting themselves to fall hard if that's not the case.

The WUST happened in a more elegant and civilized age. Before the dark times. Before the Wii U.

MuchoMalo

Banned

They also basically have money on the line here, since if they're proven wrong their credibility, websites, and YouTube channels will suffer. Is that really worth it?

ggx2ac

I need to have a talk with this Pascal guy.

Don't know what you'll be able to get out of a dead man, unless...

*Thinks of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure*

Yes. I don't want to spend over $300 to play like 10 games I enjoy over a five year period.

People mock the GameCube but I owned over 23 games for it and it had most of the third party support I cared for outside of mainline FF and MGS.

If that 10 games is referencing your Wii U, you really need to change your tastes to go and enjoy a variety of games if you only want to stick with one console.

I have iirc 24 Wii U games and the majority are Nintendo published but I haven't even counted all the indie and virtual console games I bought.

I don't want to mention how many 3DS games I have though, I'll only say that 3DS has the stronger software library.

I do have access to a PS4 so I've played Uncharted and Bloodborne but I don't really care much for Sony's first party games because I prefer the convenience of having my games on Steam and am very glad there's less reasons to own a PS4 when lots of niche Japanese 3rd parties are finally stopping being so console centric.

Instro

I don't know what the comments in this instance were like, but WUST threads were a total disaster until a lot of the really bad Nintendo fanboys were banned.

Banned
Don't know what you'll be able to get out of a dead man, unless...

*Thinks of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure*

If that 10 games is referencing your Wii U, you really need to change your tastes to go and enjoy a variety of games if you only want to stick with one console.

I have iirc 24 Wii U games and the majority are Nintendo published but I haven't even counted all the indie and virtual console games I bought.

I don't want to mention how many 3DS games I have though, I'll only say that 3DS has the stronger software library.

I do have access to a PS4 so I've played Uncharted and Bloodborne but I don't really care much for Sony's first party games because I prefer the convenience of having my games on Steam and am very glad there's less reasons to own a PS4 when lots of niche Japanese 3rd parties are finally stopping being so console centric.
I think I'll end up owning around 25 or so Wii U games after buying splatoon, star fox, Twilight Princess HD and TMS. Maybe paper Mario.

Astral Dog

I don't know about that. Miyamoto even admitted to limits of the Wii U's CPU while he was developing Pikmin 3, and the n3DS got a massive boost of CPU power. They are not as ignorant or prideful as some believe about their system's shortcomings.
They design their hardware with limitations in mind but even then it seems they overestimated the Wii U
If you think games like Bayonetta 2 or Xenoblade X are equivalent to Kid Icarus Metroid Federation and Xenoblade (wich needed to stay exclusive to an upgraded handheld while looking worse at times than the original Wii) you have been not paying attention, are blind or never played those games.

Nintendo is great at making the most out of their hardware, but even them cant do miracles and had a vision of good HD games with Wii U, even if it turned to be a mess.

Other games that simply would not do are Pikmin 3, Mario Ksrt/3D World and Zelda BofT

Oddduck

I'm not surprised that PlayerEssence and SuperMetalDave aren't taking it well.

For the past year, SuperMetalDave and PlayerEssence made money from their YouTube videos by promising their subscribers that NX will be this super powerful console with great third party support.

Like MuchoMalo said, they have money and subscribers on the line here.

I'm not surprised that PlayerEssence and SuperMetalDave aren't taking it well.

For the past year, SuperMetalDave and PlayerEssence made money from their YouTube videos by promising their subscribers that NX will be this super powerful console with great third party support.

Like MuchoMalo said, they have money on the line here.
I'm not sure about SMD, but PE probably. It's a shame they can't ease up on the possibility that they won't get the "promised" AMD Polaris "better than PS4" NX.
I feel bad for their fans, tbh. I imagine I would've been there a few years ago.
While there have been some posts here that are too pessimistic in order to not feel let down after the WUST, I feel like these guys are trying their best to put themselves and their fans in that position for a train wreck in a few weeks.

KingBroly

Banned
I'm still dreading how how Virtual Console is going to work on NX, particularly for people who bought games on Wii and re-bought them on Wii U and 3DS. I don't think I can re-buy all of those games again. Even with upgrades.

Hopefully they don't look like shit, though. If it's using an ARM processor, it means it should be based off the 3DS VC.

I'm still dreading how how Virtual Console is going to work on NX, particularly for people who bought games on Wii and re-bought them on Wii U and 3DS. I don't think I can re-buy all of those games again. Even with upgrades.
I'd hope you can transfer them. You could from Wii to Wii U and DSi to 3DS

MoonFrog

I definitely am a stationary console/PC oriented gamer: despite having gamed a lot on handhelds, I game more and prefer to game at the TV/monitor; when I play handheld games its in a stationary fashion most of the time. That said, I'm not much of a 'power consumer.' I still have a PC with (good) 2011 parts and Wii U games look nice enough to me. Beyond that, I think full on hybrid makes the most sense towards using cross compatibility as a draw into the ecosystem. Moreover, Nintendo's best chance at cornering any market and development community is through the handheld (going forward, seemingly the console) market in Japan, even if there are plenty of obstacles to that/it's on Nintendo to prove that exists post 3DS/Vita. So I'm quite good with the Nvidia/hybrid speculation.

Just concerned about controller quality and that the games move from little to big screen okay.

It's a bit weird seeing how much some people really want a Nintendo PS4. I don't mean that as 'oh how could you possibly want that'-- I understand wanting Nintendo exclusives and the biggest games in the west behind one console price wall -- but I mean that as it is strange seeing just what a different Nintendo and games in general consumer I am. Sometimes the Nintendo niche seems a little smaller than it is.

To be fair, if the console titans of today shared a continuity with those of SNES through PS2, I'd probably feel a bit different but I'd also already have a PS4.

Banned

Hopefully they don't look like shit, though. If it's using an ARM processor, it means it should be based off the 3DS VC.
You're gonna buy them all again, Broly. One last time. Since it's gonna be Nintendo's first cloud based console and handheld.

MuchoMalo

Banned

I just want a "Virtual Console Access" subscription of sorts. Then I'll be happy.

Roo

Agree.
I'm done paying for the same catalogue over and over again.

I'll get new games of course like GCN games (if they're ever available) but NES, SNES, N64 stuff? Pass. My Wii U is not going anywhere anyway.

BD1

Banned

Three possible answers:

1) Nintendo moves to a monthly retro games service, a'la Netflix. Pay $9/month, have access to the back catalog to play anytime you want

2) Stick with selling games individually, but tie them to My Nintendo so going forward we won't have to rebuy

3) Transition from virtual console to retro emulation hardware (NES Classic Mini) as a new product category. Follow up with SNES, N64.

Could be all three.

Sheroking

They have no interest in "re-establishing" themselves anywhere if it doesn't give them the money. Some people seems to think that NV want to be in consoles because of some "image" problems - those are likely the same people who were telling us how "salty" NV is. Fact is that they aren't salty and they have no image problems on which they'd need to burn the cash they have. S|A isn't a good source of info on NV at all.

Whether or not Semi-Accurate is a good source of info on Nvidia, they (apparently) accurately reported that NX is using Tegra three months before Eurogamer did. Certainly being correct on some details gives them credibility on others.

And of course they have no interest in entering ventures with no profit potential, but there's a difference between immediately profiting on NX chips and salvaging their mobile processor business. NX most certainly has more upside on the market than Shield TV or the midrange notebooks and tablets Tegra currently powers.

Oddduck

If the rumors of no backwards compatibility are true, then I have a bad feeling they'll ask us to re-buy our games again.

MoonFrog

I hope they finally have forward compatible VC starting with NX. I'm finally wanting to start a digital question and stop using, say, my SNES. It would be nice to have access to those games when I'm not with the folk.

NateDrake

I'm not sure about SMD, but PE probably. It's a shame they can't ease up on the possibility that they won't get the "promised" AMD Polaris "better than PS4" NX.
I feel bad for their fans, tbh. I imagine I would've been there a few years ago.
While there have been some posts here that are too pessimistic in order to not feel let down after the WUST, I feel like these guys are trying their best to put themselves and their fans in that position for a train wreck in a few weeks.
SMD YT grew thanks to his leak and rumors.

KingBroly

Banned
If the rumors of no backwards compatibility are true, then I have a bad feeling they'll ask us to re-buy our games again.

Three possible answers:

1) Nintendo moves to a monthly retro games service, a'la Netflix. Pay $9/month, have access to the back catalog to play anytime you want

2) Stick with selling games individually, but tie them to My Nintendo so going forward we won't have to rebuy

3) Transition from virtual console to retro emulation hardware (NES Classic Mini) as a new product category. Follow up with SNES, N64.

Could be all three.

The thing is, when they introduced My Nintendo, it made all your digital purchases linked to a backend that isn't tied to the hardware. I know VC games aren't the most complex things, but I'd be up the wall if I had to buy them again.

Oddduck

The thing is, when they introduced My Nintendo, it made all your digital purchases linked to a backend that isn't tied to the hardware. I know VC games aren't the most complex things, but I'd be up the wall if I had to buy them again.

The PS2 games that you purchased on PS3 are linked to your PSN account.

But Sony is still forcing people to repurchase PS2 games on PS4.

Why is it hard to believe that Nintendo might pull something similar? The NX will have a different architecture and OS than Wii U and 3DS.

Dremorak

Banned
The PS2 games that you purchased on PS3 are linked to your PSN account.

But Sony is still forcing people to repurchase PS2 games on PS4.

Why is it hard to believe that Nintendo might pull something similar? The NX will have a different architecture and OS than Wii U and 3DS.

Nintendo did have a system where you could transfer from wii to wiiu tho. And if you wanted them upgraded with gamepad support, pay a couple dollars. That seemed okay in my books.

Oddduck

Nintendo did have a system where you could transfer from wii to wiiu tho. And if you wanted them upgraded with gamepad support, pay a couple dollars. That seemed okay in my books.

I'll admit that the Wii to Wii U upgrade fee didn't bother me.

I'd rather they do that again than ask people to rebuy games at full price.

ggx2ac

I still have to wait a while until I get home, besides the absence of evidence does not mean evidence of absence with regards to nvidia's CEO not stating anything Nintendo related.

When that investor was asking about Tegra, do you think nvidia's CEO could have just mentioned and deny any rumours about involvement with Nintendo?

Do you think Nvidia's CEO hasn't been following the video games industry especially with regards to rumours even though someone here mentioned that he was happy about project Scorpio and neo even though those things haven't been revealed yet in finalised forms?

I'm just pointing out whether he is aware of the current NX rumours or not.

Let's not forget that other companies like macronix and Pixart kept having to be tight lipped about NX during investor meetings.

Pokemaniac

The darkness thing is a post-processing filter that has nothing to do with the emulation itself. Acting like it is some inseparable part of the Wii U emulator is absurd.

Also, it isn't really a safe assumption that the emulators, particularly the ones for older systems, contain a significant amount of Arch-dependent code. I know the DS one has at least a little bit (yay OSS!), but that one uses JIT (specifically nanojit, for those curious), and that's just something that's usually necessary for JIT and the library they're using already seems to have an ARM port anyway. Trying to guess the emulator lineage based on CPU architecture is mostly futile.

dr_rus

True. But the sources Eurogamer used weren't semiaccurate.

And the evidence Nate showed me had nothing to do with semiaccurate either.
The evidence of what? The rumour that they're oh so desperate to get into console market that they'll gift Nintendo the hardware comes straight from SA. That rumour is most likely wrong. The reports that NX is being based on Tegra are probably right though.

And of course they have no interest in entering ventures with no profit potential, but there's a difference between immediately profiting on NX chips and salvaging their mobile processor business. NX most certainly has more upside on the market than Shield TV or the midrange notebooks and tablets Tegra currently powers.
Console licensing deal won't "salvage" any business for them. And it's a stretch already to assume that Tegra business needs salvaging.

NateDrake

The evidence of what? The rumour that they're oh so desperate to get into console market that they'll gift Nintendo the hardware comes straight from SA. That rumour is most likely wrong. The reports that NX is being based on Tegra are probably right though.

I think he was trying to say that the Eurogamer report isn't based on the SA story.

ECC

Console licensing deal won't "salvage" any business for them. And it's a stretch already to assume that Tegra business needs salvaging.

Nvidia is not desperate for a console market. Tegra however, does need an actual customer if the business unit is to continue its existence in any meaningful way. The unit had a 239 million USD loss in YE Jan. 2016, and a 254 million USD loss in YE Jan. 2015, and a 268 million USD loss in YE Jan. 2014 against a 40 million USD income in YE Jan. 2013. (p. 88 AR15 - consolidated financials and p. 89 AR16) .

Is that a disaster - probably not, Nvidia as a whole is making good money on enthusiast 3d and computing power for large supercomputers.

On the other hand, looking at Nvidia's business long term - they are not in an enviable position (it's worse for AMD but that doesn't help Nvidia much). The PC market for 3d graphics is contracting. Luckily Nvidia has found ways to squeeze more money out of it.

However, for a sustainable and healthy long to very long term business Nvidia would really like a somewhat more diversified revenue stream. And that's where Tegra comes into play. It allows them to leverage similar technology in a different segment.

And sure, the Tegra unit have some automotive costumers. And sure, they are somewhat of a player in self-driving cars. Guess what, the latter is currently a small experimental segment and the industry as a whole (automotive) is known for slim margins - a fact noted by Nvidia in AR15 themselves.

Would Nvidia be giving everything to Nintendo for free? Nope. Would Nvidia be willing to live on slim margins for a single project in order to get some value out of a relationship they by how have spent more than 5 years on, and which will furthermore serve as a useful example that they can deliver good semi-custom in high unit numbers? You bet they will.

They want to have an example like that to shop around for other businesses. Currently, none of their large scale semi-custom examples (both in the console business) are recent, or even examples that make Nvidia look good.

In the end, does this mean Nvidia is doomed? No. Does it mean that Tegra is useless? No. It means that if the Tegra unit doesn't change what it have been doing Nvidia might simply cut down on internal funding and channel those to some other alternative ventures with better long term outlooks.

Finally, on the whole question of if the deal is good or bad for Nvidia. Nvidia has a few good options here. They have a very large internal software stack that they could leverage as a way to entice Nintendo. eg. you buy Tegra we throw in compilers, debug suite, specialised analysis tools and some help communicating with the big engine makers. That costs Nvidia little, Nintendo gains a lot. How it affects the deal depends on how you look at the value of the service.

In short:
Nvidia doomed? No!
Tegra is doomed? not yet!
Nvidia give Nintendo money for this deal? Probably not
Nvidia is getting Geforce money out of this deal? I doubt it.
Nvidia is getting a working somewhat succesful semi-custom deal to show other potential costumers? Probably

Dystify

Just putting this here. I personally believe it's a mistake on their end. I saw this because Lemrik retweeted Playeressence's tweet pointing to this. The article itself is from May 2, so this has probably been talked about.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/amd-revenues-hit-weakness-semi-130735686.html

AMD, which competes with Intel (INTC) and NVIDIA (NVDA) in the CPU (central processing unit) and GPU (graphics processing unit) market, dominates the gaming console market. It’s the sole supplier of semi-custom processors for Japan-based (EWJ) Sony’s (SNE) PlayStation 4 and Microsoft’s (MSFT) Xbox. It has also won an order for Nintendo’s upcoming console, codenamed “NX.”

The bolded part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom