• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlStrong

I was referring to his public appearances. As whether he knows his tech - perhaps he knows the tech from late '90s. He's neither an architect nor a fellow. The guy's been a CEO for decades. A very comic one at that.

Gotta love the crop circles skit.

Made a thread about it a bit earlier but never gained any traction, so I'll post it here as well as it could relate to whatever tech NX might end up using.

It seems Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo are concerned with Globalstar's TLPS proposal/plans (to use its' satellite spectrum for terrestrial services) so they are in talks with FCC and its' legal advisors.

Been browsing the FCC records and stumbled upon these:
Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo letter to FCC chairman and commissioners (June 2016) and again by the end of June, Nintendo Ex Parte.

nintendodbxle.png

Maybe Nintendo is extra-worried because NX relies on its' streaming tech?

Schnozberry

I think you're selling him short. He has a masters of engineering and as CEO I'm sure he keeps on top of most things pertaining to GPU tech. He may not be as in depth as the engineers down in the trenches anymore, but I'm sure he knows his stuff. Nvidia has the hallmarks of an engineer led company, one who helped found the very industry. The company didn't keep getting led into success accidentally.

I do find his public appearances varyingly awkward and entertaining though, lol.

Huang is a bright guy but as time has gone on his public persona has devolved into lots of buzzword bingo and PR speak.

His last answer about Tegra was a careful avoidance of the question. Take that as you will. Jetson was a huge part of the answer and it's a practically non-existent part of their business.

LordOfChaos

Guy: So any Tegra wins recently?
Jen-Hsun:
giphy.gif

Hmm. Avoiding talking about a certain win or avoiding talking about a last minute loss again. With the Eurogamer article so recent it seems like the former, but Nintendo has also dumped them before. But this late in the game?

Swerve? I'm going with swerve. And the winning kind.

MDave

He was also repeating himself quite a bit, almost like he wanted to mention something else but kept reminding himself to not spill anything accidently, kept playing up self-driving, AI and deep learning and how important Tegra is for that.

dr_rus

He was also repeating himself quite a bit, almost like he wanted to mention something else but kept reminding himself to not spill anything accidently, kept playing up self-driving, AI and deep learning and how important Tegra is for that.
Well, I bet that it's more important for them there than in any console, especially a Nintendo one. Nintendo deal is unlikely to bring them much money.

antonz

Well, I bet that it's more important for them there than in any console, especially a Nintendo one. Nintendo deal is unlikely to bring them much money.

His response really made no sense. basically asked if they had gotten more wins beyond the PX2. He basically goes on a tangent about How Automotive wouldn't exist without Tegra and how important Tegra is. None of it was even close to what was asked.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Gotta love the crop circles skit.
Some of the stuff he's said on stage is unbelievable.

I think you're selling him short. He has a masters of engineering and as CEO I'm sure he keeps on top of most things pertaining to GPU tech. He may not be as in depth as the engineers down in the trenches anymore, but I'm sure he knows his stuff. Nvidia has the hallmarks of an engineer led company, one who helped found the very industry. The company didn't keep getting led into success accidentally.

I do find his public appearances varyingly awkward and entertaining though, lol.
He surely has had his part for where NV is today, I'm far from questioning that. But the products of an engineering company are traditionally produced by its engineers. Guys like Kirk are the ones who've born those products on their shoulders (or anybody from the left column on that page, for that matter), not Jen-Hsun.

Malus

He also had really shifty eyes and he blinked too often. Clear signs of a potential mass murderer.

Don't know what it means for NX tho.

dr_rus

A Nintendo handheld will sell more than any device Tegra will be in sans a Samsung phone.
So? Do you know how much NV will make off one unit sold? If it's a usual console IP licensing deal then it will be some pennies which will hardly even influence their revenue.

Sheroking

So? Do you know how much NV will make off one unit sold? If it's a usual console IP licensing deal then it will be some pennies which will hardly even influence their revenue.

Re-establishing themselves in console hardware and ramping up their Tegra line has more potential long-term benefits than short term profits.

Remember the Semi-Accurate article this board didn't really believe? The one from May that first claimed Nintendo was using Nvidia Tegra?

It also claimed that the Tegra team was told to get a console win or "go home" and that Nintendo made out ridiculously well in the deal. At the very least, that article has some credibility now.

Re-establishing themselves in console hardware and ramping up their Tegra line has more potential long-term benefits than short term profits.

Remember the Semi-Accurate article this board didn't really believe? The one from May that first claimed Nintendo was using Nvidia Tegra?

It also claimed that the Tegra team was told to get a console win or "go home" and that Nintendo made out ridiculously well in the deal. At the very least, that article has some credibility now.

It's an especially strategic move if dedicated gaming systems in general start following the trend in Japan and meeting mobile in the middle.

Vena

That patent from today.

Hot damn. Nintendo has hired some exceptional engineers.

I am now on board with Nate's rumor, Nintendo's doing some crazy shit with this thing.

Vena

All I've said is Pascal...

I know. I didn't say otherwise. The crazy shit has to do with that beautiful patent. Apologies if you got the wrong idea, haha.

The nerd in me wants to own an NX just to tear it apart now if it has that tech in it, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom