• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateDrake

Hummmm Tegra announce is August 22nd... I don't know why people expected something from the financials.

No one knows. No one should have expected anything to come from tonight. Nvidia discussed Q2 financials, and some Q3 plans. Neither have to do with NX or Nintendo.

LordOfChaos

Hummmm Tegra announce is August 22nd... I don't know why people expected something from the financials.

No one knows. No one should have expected anything to come from tonight. Nvidia discussed Q2 financials, and some Q3 plans. Neither have to do with NX or Nintendo.

Well, optimistically a line drop similar to AMD did, "two x86 gaming wins", yada yada, or at least an increase in the Tegra forecast.

Neither happened, but that's what we were hoping for. Jen's huge swerve was interesting though.

Vena

The real question that Nate or any other insider has to answer is: How many Metagrosses stacked together is the NX?

NateDrake

Well, optimistically a line drop similar to AMD did, "two x86 gaming wins", yada yada, or at least an increase in the Tegra forecast.

Neither happened, but that's what we were hoping for. Jen's huge swerve was interesting though.

But the Tegra forecast wouldn't be until Q1 FY 2018. They don't need to report expectations that far in advance yet.

Doctre81

lol it's like I am now being treated as a fake Nintendo fan (not here) for believing the Tegra stuff is legit. This is hilarious.

LordOfChaos

lol it's like I am now being treated as a fake Nintendo fan (not here) for believing the Tegra stuff is legit. This is hilarious.

Some places have folks that still deny what the Wii U GPU thread found, so what are you gonna do

Actually I think DF itself still reports the Wii U as 300+Gflops/320 shaders which doesn't help things

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
So.. Your AMD source actually promised that the NX would be at 3+ TFLOPS?

Is a Metagross really only 300 GFLOPS? I thought it would be more... I guess it does only have four legs, though.

For the home console variant, yes. A couple months ago. Even I had a hard time believing it.
If they did that, they probably would be a bit upset with the annoucement of Neo and Scorpio, and porting to a dedicated portable would have similar issues to what troubled them this gen. I'm liking this Tegra idea better, though I admit that I doubted the hybrid idea prior to this.

Celine

Indeed it is, SE knows DQ home is Sony's PlayStation4 (talking about Jpn market) and does not want loose money for Nintendo sake.
SE best interest with DQXI is to serve well the system with a userbase of 21 million units in Japan (that's not PS4 if you don't know).

Ck1

Banned

I think the people who are so set on NX being a singular device maybe disappointed as well!
Everyone likes to put things into a box so that they can understand it better, but when it doesn't completely fit that criteria they lump it to the closest thing. So the talk here has been mostly of NX being a hybrid system that favors a handheld design first and foremost.

Banned
I think the people who are so set on NX being a singular device maybe disappointed as well!
Everyone likes to put things into a box so that they can understand it better, but when it doesn't completely fit that criteria they lump it to the closest thing. So the talk here has been mostly of NX being a hybrid system that favors a handheld design first and foremost.
The NX can be 31 devices for all I care. Just give me a home console option that plays ports of all the big games at 1080p.

Doctre81

I still think it could be multiple devices but that doesn't mean the tegra stuff isn't real.

The NX can be 31 devices for all I care. Just give me a home console option that plays ports of all the big games at 1080p.

Hold on. That's why you want a Nintendo console for (?)... To give you the option to play ports of third party games?

Man, priorities these days....

lo zaffo

SE best interest with DQXI is to serve well the system with a userbase of 21 million units in Japan (that's not PS4 if you don't know).
Not at all, if they don't want it. Sure there're money on the 3Ds table but it's a matter of fact that DQXI is yet scheduled for PS4 too. If Nintendo drops 3Ds like it's hot it is not SE to catch it before it falls.

I want that. Mainly so I don't have to keep multiple current gen consoles plugged in

A Nintendo console?

I mean, if people are still waiting for a Nintendo device with massive traditional third party support, despite of the last 15 years of evidence, you're in for (yet) another big disappointment.

I'd expect a DS kind of third party support (which would be great, btw), if NX reaches its intended success

MuchoMalo

Banned
But the Tegra forecast wouldn't be until Q1 FY 2018. They don't need to report expectations that far in advance yet.

Well, the chips would obviously be produced this year starting around November, which is why Dave is declaring victory now. There are two important questions from this:

1. When would Nintendo pay the license fee?
  2. What the hell made Dave, BabyEssence and the like believe that they would have to report it now when it's only the beginning of Q3?

They are incredibly focused on Nvidia handling things with Nintendo exactly how AMD has Sony and Microsoft, even though they know how secretive Nintendo is. They've lost it, and their entire worlds (and YouTube subscriber counts) are going to come tumbling down in a month.

dr_rus

Re-establishing themselves in console hardware and ramping up their Tegra line has more potential long-term benefits than short term profits.

Remember the Semi-Accurate article this board didn't really believe? The one from May that first claimed Nintendo was using Nvidia Tegra?

It also claimed that the Tegra team was told to get a console win or "go home" and that Nintendo made out ridiculously well in the deal. At the very least, that article has some credibility now.

They have no interest in "re-establishing" themselves anywhere if it doesn't give them the money. Some people seems to think that NV want to be in consoles because of some "image" problems - those are likely the same people who were telling us how "salty" NV is. Fact is that they aren't salty and they have no image problems on which they'd need to burn the cash they have. S|A isn't a good source of info on NV at all.

Celine

Not at all, if they don't want it. Sure there're money on the 3Ds table but it's a matter of fact that DQXI is yet scheduled for PS4 too. If Nintendo drops 3Ds like it's hot it is not SE to catch it before it falls.
What do you know about Dragon Quest?
Because it isn't a first time for a mainline Dragon Quest game to be released on a console for which there is already available the direct successor.

The vast majority of DQ sales historically came from Japan where DQ mainline games usually hit 3.5 million or more units.
Current gen HW LTD in Japan:

3DS: 21M
PSV: 5M
WiiU: 3.2M
PS4: 3M
XBO: 0.07M

NateDrake

Well, the chips would obviously be produced this year starting around November, which is why Dave is declaring victory now. There are two important questions from this:

1. When would Nintendo pay the license fee?
  2. What the hell made Dave, BabyEssence and the like believe that they would have to report it now when it's only the beginning of Q3?

They are incredibly focused on Nvidia handling things with Nintendo exactly how AMD has Sony and Microsoft, even though they know how secretive Nintendo is. They've lost it, and their entire worlds (and YouTube subscriber counts) are going to come tumbling down in a month.
Even November is a presumption depending the yields. If Nintendo unveils the NX in September, Nvidia can then announce they are partners, and investors are satisfied. This fascination over the idea that Nvidia HAD TO say something tonight, which they didn't, is a fairy tale.

Banned
The real question that Nate or any other insider has to answer is: How many Metagrosses stacked together is the NX?

They have no interest in "re-establishing" themselves anywhere if it doesn't give them the money. Some people seems to think that NV want to be in consoles because of some "image" problems - those are likely the same people who were telling us how "salty" NV is. Fact is that they aren't salty and they have no image problems on which they'd need to burn the cash they have. S|A isn't a good source of info on NV at all.
True. But the sources Eurogamer used weren't semiaccurate.

And the evidence Nate showed me had nothing to do with semiaccurate either.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Even November is a presumption depending the yields. If Nintendo unveils the NX in September, Nvidia can then announce they are partners, and investors are satisfied. This fascination over the idea that Nvidia HAD TO say something tonight, which they didn't, is a fairy tale.

Yes, exactly. They're just desperate.

And PlayerEssence is a baby.

I'm still salty that a grown-ass man (not to be confused with a grown ass-man) actually blocked me for not sharing his beliefs.

lo zaffo

What do you know about Dragon Quest?
Because it isn't a first time for a mainline Dragon Quest game to be released on a console for which there is already available the direct successor.

The vast majority of DQ sales historically came from Japan where DQ mainline games usually hit 3.5 million or more units.
Current gen HW LTD in Japan:

3DS: 21M
PSV: 5M
WiiU: 3.2M
PS4: 3M
XBO: 0.07M
I legit You as a master of DQ. This is not my territory in the sense that I don't see things as You do and You write about. My point of view is that DQXI is a split project as it is today (tomorrow never knows) and so it is not payable just on 3Ds incarnation's success.
Let's pretend SE is Nintendo: why Bayonetta2, Xenoblade Cross, Splatoon or FE# are on Wii U when if they were on 3Ds would guarantee 7 times market? Bigger market it is not all there is.

antonz

In the end people just need to calm down. We have credible sources giving ideas of what to expect. Is it the full picture? Probably not but at the same time there is no reason to expect miracles either.

People also need to chill out with the Speculation as fact stuff. Trolling around People's resume and automatically yelling X works for Nintendo so Y is the facts is bullshit and accomplishes nothing. It is uneducated speculation at best and presenting it as fact doesn't make it so.

All the bullshit does is discourage people who actually know things even if not megaton stuff from even considering talking because its become entirely too vitriolic. Who wants to share even tiny details if people who know nothing but claim the facts spend their entire time attacking people who actually know something

MoonFrog

Indeed it is, SE knows DQ home is Sony's PlayStation4 (talking about Jpn market) and does not want loose money for Nintendo sake.
?

Its home is 3DS. You can play the entire series on that in Japan up to X and in the future up to XI.

The PS4 versions are not for Japan. They're for the west.

Closest competition to 3DS in DQ coverage is Wii/Wii U or phone.

MuchoMalo

Banned
In the end people just need to calm down. We have credible sources giving ideas of what to expect. Is it the full picture? Probably not but at the same time there is no reason to expect miracles either.

People also need to chill out with the Speculation as fact stuff. Trolling around People's resume and automatically yelling X works for Nintendo so Y is the facts is bullshit and accomplishes nothing. It is uneducated speculation at best and presenting it as fact doesn't make it so.

All the bullshit does is discourage people who actually know things even if not megaton stuff from even considering talking because its become entirely too vitriolic. Who wants to share even tiny details if people who know nothing but claim the facts spend their entire time attacking people who actually know something

The ridiculous emotional investment to the point of taking any source which says something in agreement with what they think/heard as worthwhile needs to stop as well, from both sides.

I legit You as a master of DQ. This is not my territory in the sense that I don't see things as You do and You write about. My point of view is that DQXI is a split project as it is today (tomorrow never knows) and so it is not payable just on 3Ds incarnation's success.
Let's pretend SE is Nintendo: why Bayonetta2, Xenoblade Cross, Splatoon or FE# are on Wii U when if they were on 3Ds would guarantee 7 times market? Bigger market it is not all there is.
Obviously, the 3DS couldn't handle those games.

Funny you brought that up, though, because that may be the issue Nintendo is aiming to fix with the NX. They seem to want a handheld powerful enough to handle games that need more graphical power. The next Smash Bros, for example, will not have to be toned down due to the limits of their handheld.

NateDrake

Exactly, which is why I Tweeted I'm not tweeting about NX anymore. Tonight showed the level of insanity and imbalance going on.

EDarkness

The ridiculous emotional investment to the point of taking any source which says something in agreement with what they think/heard as worthwhile needs to stop as well, from both sides.

This is why arguing over thing no one knows is silly. I really can't wait for Nintendo to announce the NX stuff so there can be debates on known things.

Celine

Well I guess you don't know much about Dragon Quest.

NateDrake

Yes, exactly. They're just desperate.

And PlayerEssence is a baby.

I'm still salty that a grown-ass man (not to be confused with a grown ass-man) actually blocked me for not sharing his beliefs.

I can't even keep track if his actions at this point. Tells people to believe what they want, but will enforce a notion that Nvidia had to say something tonight, and the fact that they didn't proves they aren't involved. But then shutsdown anyone who disagrees with him when they explain the reality of the situation.

Why can't you guys just relax? It's just video games man. Geez...just wait and see what Nintendo reveals. So much who said what and who isn't saying this stuff.

Like I said before there's going to be so much "haha I told you so!" when the NX reveals.

Well I guess you don't know much about Dragon Quest.
Especially since DQ9 ended up going to the DS instead of any console.

The upcoming NX could have even been one of the reasons Square-Enix decided to go ahead and make a more graphically intensive version.

Log4Girlz

Anyone remember the generally expected power level of the WII U in the WUST threads? Wasn't it 500 to 800 GFLOPS or something like that?

NateDrake

Wow, what? What happened? Twitter got that bad tonight?

People jumped on the Nvidia didn't announce anything tonight train and took it to another realm. If you explain that Q2 report didn't have to announce a win as Nintendo would have an NDA in place, they laughed it off or told people they were fools for believing that.

MuchoMalo

Banned
All I wanted from Nvidia was the announcement of the Shield 2. :/

If that's happening, it would be on the 22nd.

People jumped on the Nvidia didn't announce anything tonight train and took it to another realm. If you explain that Q2 report didn't have to announce a win as Nintendo would have an NDA in place, they laughed it off or told people they were fools for believing that.

Yet they fully believe that every third-party game under the sun is coming but hasn't been announced due to NDAs.

Also, I can carry your burden. Just saying. ;)

That's a joke, son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom