• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America says Metroid Prime 4 and "new Pokemon game" are 2018 titles

Takat

It makes sense. I'm sure they have a pokemon game in development for longer than we think.

I also think they have had Metroid in development for a while now, and they only showed the logo because they didn't want to spoil Mario Odyssey debut gameplay. It makes sense to announce it, but don't reveal it. So it'll have its own reveal.

Cuburt

Given that this is not an official announcement, it's good to take with a grain of salt, especially since there is still the possibility of delays. That being said, I think it is true that Nintendo is shooting for 2018 with these games because they are big games that can help carry their 2018. Of course this being Nintendo and how they are willing to delay a game to make it good, I think there is a reason they didn't even give a 2018 date.

At the very least, I expect other big games are in development for 2018 that haven't been announced so even if those games drift out of 2018, they'll have other games to fill the gaps given that they've done a pretty good job keeping a constant flow of games for the Switch in it's first year.

aBarreras

Pokemon games don't get delayed.

The second set of gen 7 games are already announced and releasing on 3DS.

I don't see them having a remake as the first pokemon game on a new console.

It'll be gen 8.

this would be hype as fuck tho

oh sorry i read it as gen 1 remake, that would be hype.

RuhRo

You don't cut a logo-only teaser or release a vague press release like that if you're far enough in development to release the following year.

If Metroid is secretly deep in development, there must be some other unusual explanation at work - like the theory someone raised that they didn't plan a showing and then scrambled something right before the show in response to the Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon 3DS-only backlash. Though that still doesn't quite square with the press release, which reads very much like a list of aspirations for a project in preproduction and not very much like a company trying to play coy about a project deep in development.

i mean, they said smash and a new mario were being developed on the 2013 january direct, and that they could proabably show image on 2013 E3, they fucking revealed both titles fully playable at E3 2013, so no, not that bold for nintendo

Exactly. Just because they didn't show anything doesn't necessarily mean development just started on these titles. I'm not going to say they will release in 2018, but I don't see anything that means they can't when we don't even know when development started or anything about the projects currently.

Maximo

Pokemon Black/White (September 2010) and Pokemon X/Y (October 2013) had a 3 year gap in between games.

Pokemon X/Y (October 2013) and Pokemon Sun/Moon (November 2017) had a 4 year gap in between.

The idea that Game Freak can just jump into HD development with less than a 2 year turnaround seems ridiculously optimistic. Even when they were creating assets for a 240P handheld these games had a pretty long turnaround time.

Honestly its probably whatever Pokemon Stars is I don't expect a new pokmon is the main series for awhile.

Ppl keep naming these games and they were all announced with full blown trailers as well that game you the impression they were practically done as well. Like wise similar games like bayonetta 2,X,zelda,Tokyo mirage sessions Fe announced with titles or in game cinematic trailers all came out later

Gamefreak have never left old hardware behind during a gen they start fresh with an all new one

Those games were all announced at one time during a direct to try and save a failing Wii U. Except Zelda which was just delayed. They were desperate to try and show stuff was coming and didn't have a whole lot in the immediate future. That is pretty much the only time Nintendo has ever done that.

jariw

* We don't know when these games started development.
* We don't know the game titles.
* We know that Pokemon Sun & Moon uses HD Pokemon models internally.
* We don't know which the team is developing the Metroid Prime 4 game.
* We know that a 2D Metroid game for the 3DS - that was unknown just a few weeks ago - is releasing very soon.

Based on this, we know way too little to say that 2018 is impossible, IMO.

You don't cut a logo-only teaser or release a vague press release like that if you're far enough in development to release the following year.

If Metroid is secretly deep in development, there must be some other unusual explanation at work - like the theory someone raised that they didn't plan a showing and then scrambled something right before the show in response to the Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon 3DS-only backlash. Though that still doesn't quite square with the press release, which reads very much like a list of aspirations for a project in preproduction and not very much like a company trying to play coy about a project deep in development.
I don't agree with the they announced Pokémon to counter the backlash if they cared at all about that they would've announced prime last year when ppl were acting like children over federation force

Those games were all announced at one time during a direct to try and save a failing Wii U. Except Zelda which was just delayed. They were desperate to try and show stuff was coming and didn't have a whole lot in the immediate future. That is pretty much the only time Nintendo has ever done that.
They just did it for the switch presentation back in January actu

I expected metroid being 2018. Not sure why they didn't show anything, but then they did the same for Mario kinda. They probably focus every E3 now on that one big title for the year.
Next year Metroid... 2019 FZero.

* We know that a 2D Metroid game for the 3DS - that was unknown just a few weeks ago - is releasing very soon.

Exactly.

EhoaVash

I believe in Pokemon. Gamefreak's always releases them yearly

Not sure about Metroid if they did we would have gotten a trailer or at least the name of the development group lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The 'has been announced' doesn't really fit with the start of the sentence being 2018 will be around. Almost like two different statements.

'2018 will be around ...'
'New Pokemon has been announced'

These may not may not be connect d but the sentence doesn't scan well to consider them assumed to be connected. Would like to hear more context around it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Yup
I totally agree

LordofPwn

it's not a bad thing to be cautious about release dates/windows. I also think everyone would love for both of these games to be out in 2018.

Also i'm under the impression that the new Kyoto studio is working on MP4. (it's what i remember seeing from LKD, but maybe there's been official confirmation on that?)

As for Rare i assume new IP or another donkey kong game.

Shiggy

They seem to be quite inconsistent here, right, for Yoshi, they appropiately list Good-Feel, for Metroid Samus Returns, they list Mercury Steam, for Kirby, the correctly list HAL, for Pokken Namco Bandai, for XBC2 they even list Monolith (even though they own them). This year, they seem to give credit to the developers.

They are fairly consistent with NLG:
http://nintendoeverything.com/luigi's-mansion-dark-moon-fact-sheet/

"Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Developer: Nintendo"

Cottiny

Banned
I belive that the new Pokémon will be the next big holiday season title, but I can't imagine Metroid Prime 4 making it for next year. My guess is that is going to be a Spring 2019 title.

People keep bringing up Odyssey but why they would reveal a game before the system itself?

Again, I don't know why they didn't announce these as 2018 releases in the Spotlight. It's not like they haven't done this before eg. Breath of the Wild.

I believe in Pokemon. Gamefreak's always releases them yearly

No they don't.

TAS

Not that shocking tbh. Both games have probably been in development for a while--and with all game development focused on Switch now, Nintendo is pumping out games at an accelerated rate.

I don't agree with the they announced Pokémon to counter the backlash if they cared at all about that they would've announced prime last year when ppl were acting like children over federation force

They just did it for the switch presentation back in January actu

Oh really? Which games did they announce in January do you know will not be coming out this year or next?

My point wasn't that they don't announce games with splash screens. It's that they don't announce games even with splash screens that aren't coming out in the next year and a half or so.

Exactly. There isn't enough information available for anyone to say it's not happening.

Aleh

I believe Pokémon will come out in 2018 with a new gen and here is why:

- They said it's coming in more than a year. Fall 2018 is still more than a year away.
- More than a year implies it's not 2 years away, they wouldn't have risked getting people's expectations up otherwise. And even if it were almost 2 years away, they wouldn't release a new generation in June, they want the holiday boost for big releases. Holiday 2019 would be way farther than 2 years from the announcement.
- The anime doesn't have the usual structure, Ash is doing trials but there is no need to make a League arc or anything and it can be shorter as a result.
- Their job listings asked for people with Wii U and Vita models experience only until some time into 2018 and not beyond.
- Sun and Moon released in 2016, and they probably started developing the Switch game before that, meaning they will have had at least 3 years to finish.
- I don't think they would have announced it already if it were a 2019 title, it would have needlessly cut into potential Ultra Sun/Moon sales when it could have waited.

wildfire

Banned
It took them 3 years to make Sun/Moon. I don't know if they could crank out an HD game in just 2 years.

The first Switch game won't be HD.

Well it will be HD but expect the graphics to disappoint. A game outputting 1080p doesn't meant it can't be pixelated.

Afrodium

Banned
If we're following the "I haven't seen gameplay of these games so they're not releasing within 18 months" logic, then we have to conclude that Yoshi and Kirby are the only first party titles coming to Switch next year.

That's harder for me to believe.

It's hard for you to believe that a Nintendo console will have a software drought?

Kyuur

I don't see a timeline where they don't do this if they really want to keep the Switch momentum going. Maybe Metroid could be pushed back if we see something like Animal Crossing, Pikmin or Fire Emblem (mainline) release in 2018. Otherwise I'd count on those titles and Smash Bros for 2019.

Oh really? Which games did they announce in January do you know will not be coming out this year or next?
They had dude come on stage to talk about a game that wasn't even started yet. I know nothing neither does anyone else in here I'm not acting like it can't come out 2018 neither should anyone act like they can come out 2019 relax

Tal

Could the switch pokemon game literally just be Stars? They said it was a mainline game by gamefreak but they didn't say Gen 8.

GoldStarz

If Pokemon Switch does come in 2018 I feel like it's probably a Gen 1 or 4 remake and not Gen 8.

If it's gonna be one of those two, it would be the former, but I feel both are unlikely, they're not going to start off what is essentially a new Gen with a remake and without new Pokemon.

Top Bottom