• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America says Metroid Prime 4 and "new Pokemon game" are 2018 titles

sinonobu

Banned
So next year we can potentially have Kirby, Yoshi, Smash, Animal Crossing, Mario Maker, Retro's new game, Fire Emblem, Pikmin 4, Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon Switch.

Madness if true.

Zedark

Mmmm...I'll wait and see. A quick logo and "Now in development" isn't something I'd expect for a game coming out next year.
Normally you wouldn't see them until less than a year before they release, but these games, along with FE Switch, seem imo to be announced a little earlier to communicate that Switch is in fact the future for those franchise, despite current games releasing on 3ds.

I've said it before but it bears repeating again. A shortened hype cycle does wonders. Just ask Bethesda and Take 2.

Oh it definitely seems to work well for sales and general hype, but I like sorta knowing what is coming down the road in the next 2-3 years. It's still definitely better this way than the other way though.

Stars was supposed to be what Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are. They're not gonna re-release the same game for a third year in a row.

You don't know that. Stars could have been a standard third version or sequel for all we know.

You are right though that it would be odd to basically release the same game for the third year in a row. Who knows.

I could believe it, given that FE Switch was announced for 2018 with just a logo not too long ago, but I won't hold my breath. Especially not with Metroid.

again, on the 2013 january direct they said that a smash and a new mario were in development, and if they were lucky they could show images of the games the next E3, then they revealed the fully playable games that E3

They have also announced games years before they were even shown, so again, I'll wait and see what happens in the coming months before I get too excited.

border

So... Yoshi and Kirby for the whole 2018.... I dont think so...

Except nobody is saying that this list is definitive. Metroid/Pokemon could slip into 2019 and there might be other as-yet unrevealed titles that could be released in 2018 (Smash Brothers DX and a new Animal Crossing seem likely, along with a new IP or two).

Lothars

I believe both. Nobody here can create a rebuttal for this unless they work for Nintendo.
lol that's not a good reason to believe both. I don't have any faith in them hitting 2018 for both of these games. If I am wrong great but it's nintendo and yeah they haven't earned my faith in constant releases.

Calm Mind

I kind of believe both.

Tanabe in 2015 said a new Metroid would take three years. Makes sense he had an actual planning in mind.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-17-next-proper-metroid-prime-would-likely-now-be-on-nx

Eurogamer was adamant that Pokemon Stars would release this year. Obviously that didn't happen. It wasn't necessary because Switch is supply constrained. Now they have a Christmas smash for next year.

Both should be doable for 2018.

But I also kinda not believe it because they didn't have better teases than some bullshit logo or offhand remark. Making a small tease should be easy for how far along they would be.

oprah-hold-me-back.gif

Metroid in a year and a half? Too soon I think it will be delayed. We'll get our first footage in next e3 I bet.

Again what makes you think it just started development? We didn't know Metroid Samus Returns was in the works until 3 months before it releases. Fire Emblem Switch was announced with just a logo for 2018. Mario 3D World was casually mentioned in January 2013 with no info and released later that year.

Nintendo likes short announcement to release schedules, BotW, TMS and XCX are really just the exceptions.

if that is true, then it seems nintendo's restructuring has resulted in far greater efficiency..

Which is precisely what it was intended to do.

Neonep

New Pokemon games are tied to the anime. Look at where the anime is at and the history and it will tell you exactly what you need to know about this.

GoldStarz

You don't know that. Stars could have been a standard third version or sequel for all we know.

You are right though that it would be odd to basically release the same game for the third year in a row. Who knows.

It's true we don't know that but Stars was a code name like Rainbow, whatever Pokemon Stars is
probably USUM
, it's not gonna be called Stars.

Crayolan

Is that not what USUM are? We don't really know anything about them but they look like they'd fall into one of those two categories.

Man... I don't believe it. Pokémon barely two years after new one released? Metroid when we just have a logo? I really hope those are not rushed...

Durden77

So in Nintendo terms, that means "whenever the fuck we want to put them out".

I don't put much stock into this at all, but I'm looking forward to both.

Just to help put things in perspective, Mario + Rabbids was in development for 3+ years, and gameplay wasn't shown for it until 3-4 months before it ships.

Just saying.

Baleoce

Hmm, I think after how the announcements for BotW played out, saying any specific year for Metroid Prime 4 is just asking for it. Better off just sticking with the "in development" line and surprising us at some point.

LotusHD

Banned
Is that not what USUM are? We don't really know anything about them but they look like they'd fall into one of those two categories.

They said it has an alternate story, so a third version if anything. Doesn't mean it's a sequel though, which the Switch title could very well be if Gen 8 ain't coming just yet.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So what we have -

Known 2018 Titles:
Fire Emblem
Kirby
Yoshi
Metroid Prime 4
Core Pokemon RPG

Known to be in development:
Pikmin 4
Something from Retro

This could be a year to match or even exceed 2017. Just toss in Mario Maker Deluxe and Super Smash Bros Deluxe, plus a couple of surprises.

That's a lineup well on its way to trumping that overused PS2 2001 lineup pic.

I want to see Nintendo actually pull something like that off.

Yogg

I didn't want to believe Xenoblades 2 is this year, but it is. If we stick with the "they only show games that are within 12 months of release", and that they won't advertise games that are years away, then a Prime 4 tease for a 2018 holiday season would actually fit.

I want to believe.

Cartho

All these people saying Pokemon isn't possible in 2018, I think it is. Easily from a development point of view if they are smart with re-using assets from S/M.

We don't know how long they've been working on it. They could have started early design work back in early 2016. Skip to late 2018 and that's close on 3 years.

People say they wouldn't cut gen 8 short but perhaps they will - maybe that's why they made USM, despite not having done third versions in a while.

We saw nothing of Xenoblade 2 till this year and no gameplay till E3, get that's coming out this winter. I could see Pokemon being the holiday 2018 title. Metroid seems less likely.

It's easy for the Serebii guy to be all mr know it all and say that it would be totally unprecedented for them to release another Pokemon gen in this timeframe, however it is totally unprecedented that they're making a Pokemon mainline game for a home console in the first place. They've NEVER done a mainline game for a system which can be played in a TV at home before, so who's to say they're not going to break the mould with this too?

TS-08

Hmm, I think after how the announcements for BotW played out, saying a year for Metroid Prime 4 is just asking for it.

Honestly, the Zelda series is in a league of its own when it comes to delays. I wouldn't really rely on it for making predictions regarding another series.

antonz

E3 2017 was all about Mario and Mario+Rabbids. Metroid being shown would have done nothing but drawn attention away from the titles they wanted to focus on. Tease to say yeah its coming and you don't create the issue showing would have

wwm0nkey

So what we have -

Known 2018 Titles:
Fire Emblem
Kirby
Yoshi
Metroid Prime 4
Core Pokemon RPG

Known to be in development:
Pikmin 4
Something from Retro

This could be a year to match or even exceed 2017. Just toss in Mario Maker Deluxe and Super Smash Bros Deluxe, plus a couple of surprises.
Yeah they might just keep up this crazy momentum

I certainly believe the Pokémon bit- they're going to start revealing Gen VIII Pokémon next year anyway, so I could very easily see them releasing a new Switch generation in concert with that at the end of next year. Every indication is that Game Freak intended this to be an unusually short generation.

I'm PARTICULARLY amused that certain posters who were absolutely certain what Game Freak was doing last year before getting spectacularly blindsided by the Sun and Moon announcement are back at it again.

New Pokemon games are tied to the anime. Look at where the anime is at and the history and it will tell you exactly what you need to know about this.
The Sun and Moon anime is a slice of life anime based largely around one single location with excursions elsewhere. It's such a profoundly different format to other anime series that you can't really draw comparisons to the past, and even then I expect them to be done with the Akala Island stuff by the time the anime's first anniversary rolls around.

Interesting. I'm pretty skeptical about Metroid Prime 4 being 2018 title, but we don't know how far into development it is. It seemed, from the teaser, that it had recently started development with the "Now in development" text.

However, Nintendo really does need some games next year: we know of Kirby, Yoshi and Fire Emblem, online games+VC... maybe more Zelda (and Mario/Splatoon/ARMS?) DLC, a new Animal Crossing (makes sense?), and Smash Bros. Port/for Switch? Nintendo needs to fill the gaps. I guess it would make sense for them to really push for Metroid and Pokémon in 2018 - show those late 2018 games at E3, then tease/reveal titles for 2019.

Edit: Also, whatever Retro is making (new IP? Mother? DK?) is probably late 2018.

Mariolee

I fought with people in the other thread as I was adamant Prime was 2019 or early 2020. If it comes out next year I will HAPPILY eat crow.

Except nobody is saying that this list is definitive. Metroid/Pokemon could slip into 2019 and there might be other as-yet unrevealed titles that could be released in 2018 (Smash Brothers DX and a new Animal Crossing seem likely, along with a new IP or two).
So you prefer to believe in unannounced games... Ok then... Lol

Baleoce

Honestly, the Zelda series is in a league of its own when it comes to delays. I wouldn't really rely on it for making predictions regarding another series.

Considering they're not even showing us it at the moment. And this is a game that will hopefully be turning around the fortunes / sales of this series. I just cannot see 2018 for it.

Just to help put things in perspective, Mario + Rabbids was in development for 3+ years, and gameplay wasn't shown for it until 3-4 months before it ships.

Just saying.

Yep, and it clearly wasn't because they couldn't show anything at the Switch Announcement. They strategically waited. Who's to say this is something similar?

Futureman

for 2017, it seems Nintendo is trying to put out an average of one 1st party (or collab w/ 3rd party) per month.

If 2018 is going to match that, it almost seems like Metroid and Pokemon would need to release next year. Otherwise, if Prime and Pokemon would slip to 2019, it really seems like 2018 would be pretty sparse.

ChaosXVI

I have my doubts about Prime 4 coming out next year. The only way I see it being possible is if NLG is the developer, with the assistance of another team since NLG is pretty small relative to the demands of HD development. But it doesn't sound nearly as impossible as Xenoblade 2 making it out in the same year it was announced in, and that's apparently happening.

Top Bottom