• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America says Metroid Prime 4 and "new Pokemon game" are 2018 titles

They just did it for the switch presentation back in January actu

With what? No More Heroes 3? That's about it from what I recall.

And that's not a Nintendo developed game.

Since the Switch I noticed Nintendo is playing it's cards very close to the chest, with reveals of new games less than 1 year before release.

It could be a new trend.

Yep it sure seems like it. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the trend but at least we can give them the benefit of the doubt and not outright assume it's not possible to hit 2018. Skepticism is good though.

Vinc

I mean I don't believe it, but it's possible they wanted to focus on the 2D game before moving on to the 3D one.

Oh awesome.
Guess I'll be buying a Switch a little earlier than anticipated then - can't resist Pokemon. Even if it's a remake of one of the earlier ones (Diamond/Pearl?) or a third version for Sun/Moon I'd still bite, but I get the impression it'll be a new mainline entry which is even better

TS-08

The manner in which he mentions Pokémon almost reads like a new train of thought, separate from the games he lumps in as being for 2018. But he clearly states, twice, that Metroid Prime 4 is scheduled for next year.

border

I went back to look at the exact wording in the E3 Nintendo Spotlight:

"Game Freak has begun developing a core RPG Pokemon title on Nintendo Switch. It may not release for more than a year."

Nobody really says "We have begun development" on a remaster. I guess that is vague enough that it could be some re-work of Sun/Moon, but man are they setting people up for disappointment if they turn up a year from now with an up-rezzed version of a 2-year old 3DS game. I feel like people would have been fine with Stars coming out this fall.....but they're pushing their Switch game all the way till the end of 2018 it ought to be something more substantial.

At the same time, given Game Freak's track record it seems unlikely that they will be able to make a new core Pokemon game in less than 2 years.

Seiniyta

My bet is that they keep compatibility through either a extra piece of wireless hardware that connects the devices locally or a software solution by then. Trading locally is still important but in terms of bringing Pokémon over, Pokébank kind of deals with that nicely.

I bet on a little device you put in the port which usually is used for charging/putting the game into a dock for local connectivity with a 3DS which they'll pack in with the games. They've done it before with LeafGrean and FireRed (neccecary for more then 4 players if I recall)

If Nintendo/GameFreak wants connectivity, they'll find a way. I don't think the platform is a reason to discount a mid-generation game for it (though less likely then a next generation)

After the Xenoblade 2 rumors (and Mario Odissey too), I believe them.

I remember there was another game supposedly delayed (Arms, Mario Kart?), that the naysayers insisted was delayed until the day before it was released.

scamander

Banned
I don't agree with the they announced Pokémon to counter the backlash if they cared at all about that they would've announced prime last year when ppl were acting like children over federation force

People were acting like children in 2015, not 2016. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to announce a game that will release in about three years on a new system nobody knows anything about.

spekkeh

Banned
I kind of believe both.

Tanabe in 2015 said a new Metroid would take three years. Makes sense he had an actual planning in mind.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-17-next-proper-metroid-prime-would-likely-now-be-on-nx

Eurogamer was adamant that Pokemon Stars would release this year. Obviously that didn't happen. It wasn't necessary because Switch is supply constrained. Now they have a Christmas smash for next year.

Both should be doable for 2018.

But I also kinda not believe it because they didn't have better teases than some bullshit logo or offhand remark. Making a small tease should be easy for how far along they would be.

Crayolan

Could the switch pokemon game literally just be Stars? They said it was a mainline game by gamefreak but they didn't say Gen 8.

Stars was supposed to be what Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are. They're not gonna re-release the same game for a third year in a row.

I went back to look at the exact wording in the E3 Nintendo Spotlight:

"Game Freak has begun developing a core RPG Pokemon title on Nintendo Switch. It may not release for more than a year."

I guess that is vague enough that it could be some re-work of Sun/Moon, but man are they setting people up for disappointment if they turn up a year from now with an up-rezzed version of a 2-year old 3DS game.

Not to mention that Ultra Sun/Moon, while I don't think will be a straight "third version", will definitely reuse areas, so doing that again the following year would be really strange.

mavo

Banned
Those Tanabe words at E3 2015 "if we start now it would take 3 years on Wii U", how he couldn't assemble a team at the start of the Wii U life or what he wanted to see on a new Metroid Prime sound kinda hella a lot that he was on pre development, really interesting all of this.

Maiar_m

I'll believe it. Depends on when they actually started developing or what the Pokémon game actually is. I wouldn't be surprised if they use an upscaled version of the sun/moon engine, cutting down on dev time considerably. A holiday 2018 release for a mainline Pokémon game would be madness.

c'mon people we didnt know xenoblade chronicles 2 existed untils this january.

But it's not releasing in 2017.../s

Seriously though, I think this shows that Nintendo has a much shorter software development environment with Switch than they did with Wii U, which is good news beyond these announcements.

Nerazar

It is possible. We doubted them on Zelda at launch and Xenoblade 2 in 2017... and they are bound to deliver both.

It's not at 100%, but at least 70% in my eyes. Nintendo needs strong fall / Christmas titles for 2018 and they fit that description nicely.

Calm Mind

With what? No More Heroes 3? That's about it from what I recall.

And that's not a Nintendo developed game.

Yep it sure seems like it. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the trend but at least we can give them the benefit of the doubt and not outright assume it's not possible to hit 2018. Skepticism is good though.

I've said it before but it bears repeating again. A shortened hype cycle does wonders. Just ask Bethesda and Take 2.

conpfreak

I believe it. They have been pretty good since the start of the Switch hype on delivering on release dates. Metros Prime is likely using a common engine like UE4, the internal HD engine (not likely), or Breath of the Wild's engine. It's also assigned to a new dev team with no other known projects. The actual dev times of the other 3 games took about the same time.

aBarreras

Mmmm...I'll wait and see. A quick logo and "Now in development" isn't something I'd expect for a game coming out next year.

again, on the 2013 january direct they said that a smash and a new mario were in development, and if they were lucky they could show images of the games the next E3, then they revealed the fully playable games that E3

It's probably not a main line game. All they say was a 'core' Pokémon game.

You're reaching with the semantics. Pokemon Switch will be a mainline game. You can't get more "core" than the next versions. If a "core" game isn't the same as a mainline game, then what does the term "core" encompass? There are already a number of spinoffs. Which ones are "core but not mainline" games?

I'll reiterate that some of you need to understand that Nintendo isn't the same company it was even a few years ago. The Wii U was a massive flop and the 3DS took a year or so to take off. Announcing something more than 12-18 months away isn't good enough to get people to go out and buy systems anymore. New approach, new message, new president (RIP Iwata). There is little reason to make some of these assumptions because of precedent prior to the Switch. I'll eat my words if I'm wrong, but these games will be here by the end of 2018.

Could the switch pokemon game literally just be Stars? They said it was a mainline game by gamefreak but they didn't say Gen 8.

Nobody else seems to think so, but I think it's a possibility.

So what we have -

Known 2018 Titles:
Fire Emblem
Kirby
Yoshi
Metroid Prime 4
Core Pokemon RPG

Known to be in development:
Pikmin 4
Something from Retro

This could be a year to match or even exceed 2017. Just toss in Mario Maker Deluxe and Super Smash Bros Deluxe, plus a couple of surprises.

Mark1

Watch this being one of those interviews where the guy either says too much or got misinformed about some of these games lol. I'll never forget when Nintendo mistakenly says Wii would be region free - the disappointment I felt when realising that was one of those times.

Prove me wrong though Nintendo.

Haines

Banned
Are they allowed to day beyond 2018 in marketing? I'm just curious

I don't believe it but it's possible Nintendo has been building an incredible back log silently

Top Bottom