• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Paid Online Services Include Free NES/SNES Game Every Month (for that month)

What about Miiverse? What's their account system gonna be like? Virtual Console titles carry on, do you have to pay a fee? They have done a shit job , they left many questions unanswered.

Reallink

Does this mean the game disappears from your inventory after a month? It could be decent if we get to "keep" it.

This would be one of the most bizarrely and poorly worded product pages of all time if it somehow intends to say you get to "keep" it. The obvious interpretation is it's a 1 month trial/rental that will change every month, there is no "purchase" or "library" like PS+ or Gold, once it rotates out at the month, you ain't playing it again without buying it off the VC.

ffvorax

Well there are plenty of good games in the NES/SNES library...

Anyway what is more important is that they change the ridicolous account management.
I hope they will fix that like it is on PS/XB, otherwise paying for that would be suicide...

Tall4Life

Well there are plenty of good games in the NES/SNES library...

Anyway what is more important is that they change the ridicolous account management.
I hope they will fix that like it is on PS/XB, otherwise paying for that would be suicide...
I already own Super Mario Bros 1 on like 4 different platforms, I and a lot of other people are plain tired of getting these goddamn games again.

Mr T.

Banned
The wording makes it seem like you get a free NES or SNES game (of your choice) to play for a month... Then you can choose a different one the next month.

The thing that is confusing to me is do you get to keep the game after the month ends? The chart implies you keep the game, the wording makes it seem like you only get it for free for a month.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This is a smart way on cashing in for the same game the third time.

You know that VC game that you bought on Wii and then paid to "upgrade" it on Wii U? Congrats, now you get to pay a monthly fee to get to play it online for a month.

tumblr_inline_mn8gpetuvu1qz4rgp.gif

Genio88

Either the subscription is 20$ a year or this is bad...just one nes/snes game per month, and from what they say seems like you won't be able to play the last month game again since it'll be just one free for one month...yeah this is bad

Piichan

Banned
Their online subscription service better be really cheap then. If not, it's kind of laughable compared to PS+/Xbox Live Gold.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Oh boy... a VC game I will probably play for a whopping 20 minutes. Thanks Nintendo. Very generous. That value proposition totally works in my favor.

Anyways, I'm gonna to sell my legs to a mysterious man I met in an alley who promised that I would be granted immortality. BYE!

Intel_89

Yeah, unless this is like 20€ a year or less I'll just ignore online altogether. 1 NES/SNES game trial per month is a real slim offering.

Toxi

Banned
Even if you actually get to keep the game, it's 1 game from the fucking NES/SNES. We've played all those games already, and many of us have bought them on the Virtual Console, or on the NES Classic. It's a joke.

Leonidas

Hoping they change it so that you can keep the games by the time the paid service launches this Fall. I've been waiting for Nintendo to do something like Games With Gold/PS+...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Even if you actually get to keep the game, it's 1 game from the fucking NES/SNES. We've played all those games already, and many of us have bought them on the Virtual Console, or on the NES Classic. It's a joke.

If you're into VC, you probably own most of those "free" games already.

shmoglish

Im okay with this. When the Price is 12$ a year,

Sure, there are great SNES and NES games and I replay DKC every few years. But as a bonus for an online Service it feels a little bit weak. Even with the onlinemultiplayer.

Miracle

Most people are just gonna keep playing them as roms on their phones/tablets that can easily emulate them now a days.

Christ Nintendo what in the blue hell were they thinking?

Mechazawa

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop on all this stuff once press start asking questions to Nintendo reps tomorrow.

Because elements of the online stuff sound so mindbogglingly stupid that it either has to be poor communication or it has to be something so incredibly tonedeaf that Nintendo will hopefully be forced to course correct on out of pure public humiliation.

All the included games with these services are rentals.

This is just a worse rental :p
In fairness PS+ let's you "rent" a game for as long as you have the service and you get the game back if you start your service back up after dropping it. That's a pretty hefty rental.

Whereas doesn't Gold actually stick the game into your account so it's still accessible after your service ends? Which is obviously like way better than what Nintendo or Sony both are offering?

Durante

In fairness PS+ let's you "rent" a game for as long as you have the service and you get the game back if you start your service back up after dropping it. That's a pretty hefty rental.

Whereas doesn't Gold actually stick the game into your account so it's still accessible after your service ends? Which is obviously like way better than what Nintendo or Sony both are offering?
Does it? Then that one isn't actually a rental! Sorry, I wasn't aware.

Edit:
The 360 games are yours forever, the one games are the "while you're subscribed"
Well, that's a bit weaker. Half-rental?

Apathy

The 360 games are yours forever, the one games are the "while you're subscribed"

Considering how we're all complaining all the time about PS+ and GWG, this one month rental of a single VC game is an incredibly new low.

Top Bottom