• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Paid Online Services Include Free NES/SNES Game Every Month (for that month)

Hari Seldon

So let me get this straight. Nintendo's biggest problem is 3rd party support. So to solve this they want to gate online pay behind a paywall and give out a monthy rental of a 20-30 year old game. Sounds legit.

When PS4 launched, what did they offer in the first month of PS+? Actually, what did Xbox Live for Xbox One offer as well? I'm curious to know if they also had a gestation period where nothing was offered until there were actual "games" available to offer.

PS4 owners got Resogun. Nuff said. :p

Papacheeks

Banned
Why aren't people acting like this is incredibly great news?!?! What the fuck?

VC GAMES NOW HAVE ONLINE MULTIPLAYER FOR FUCKS SAKE

This is mindblowing.

Dude do you ever stop cheer-leading on these switch forums?

Your like against anyone who doesn't have your outlook or think all of these things are super positive.

Why cant the people just keep the game? How much does a NES rom actually cost Nintendo? They can say if people get Tetris NES for free ($12 a month lets say) they wont buy tetris on virtual console for $5! But the majority of people wont buy it for $5 or pay $12 a month.

Zomba13

The only way I see this making any sort of sense is if the online is like, Pokémon Bank cheap. If it's standard PS+/XBL Gold $60 then nah son. Nah son for infinity.

The only way this will be good is if they actually implement online into games that would benefit greatly from it. Other than that though the site says "special promotions" will be available to online subscriptions so guess we have to wait and see.

Kurt

Yeah old games includes multiple is mindblowing.
I'm hoping that this is not only with nintendo ip's.

Anyway about the vc games only for one month thing :
It depends on how expensive online would be.
I mean if it's 1/3 of the price of sony/ms, then it's ok.
If it's expensive as those 2, then ripoff.

What a joke,
who in their right mind, would pay for what is likely a really poor online service, while also having such a meager game offering, and potentially few people even using the online in games?

I like what I see so far of the switch, except this is a borderline deal breaker. When PSN and XBL already offer vastly better service and game offerings, I'm not going to subscribe to another service. Also, if they want to treat the meager game offerings as rentals....do something smart, like offer 30 old school games every 6 months...

Rozart

...I wasn't expecting the Switch presentation to turn out like this.

I don't know what's going on at Nintendo anymore.

jettared

Neo Member
Nintendo are basically charging us for 30 year old 30 day Demos.
See?
Its Brilliant! God i want to work in their marketing department and become rich. Its great to fool saps like this.

Wtf is even the point of this. So if you don't finish the game by the end it was pointless?

This is literally one of the dumbest and most greedy things Nintendo has ever pulled and ...just ugh...

They're going to start off as a free online service for multilayer, then in the fall, right before the Christmas season, yank it from you unless you pay? How is this a sound strategy?

Yeah old games includes multiple is mindblowing.
I'm hoping that this is not only with nintendo ip's.

Anyway about the vc games only for one month thing :
It depends on how expensive online would be.
I mean if it's 1/3 of the price of sony/ms, then it's ok.
If it's expensive as those 2, then ripoff.

$90 Canadian for a pro controller. You tell me if online fee will be a deal.

I'm all for it.

All of this news increases the chances of Nintendo going out of the console market and releasing their games on other platforms.

I can dream.

Reki

The online paywall is by far the worst part of the console. Even if they offered a good value proposition (and it seems that it isn't the case), this is the kind of thing I hate the most in the other consoles Seems like I won't be buying Splatoon...

Apathy

Wtf is even the point of this. So if you don't finish the game by the end it was pointless?

This is literally one of the dumbest and most greedy things Nintendo has ever pulled and ...just ugh...

They said at the end the month when you can't play it anymore you'll have the option to purchase it if you want.

Top Bottom