• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Paid Online Services Include Free NES/SNES Game Every Month (for that month)

Maxim726X

Jesus this console is being set up for failure before it reaches the shelves.

80 dollars for a controller, and paying into a monthly rental service that gives you one retro game a month.

Hoooly shit.

CaptNink

Wow, the good news just keeps coming...

401crash.gif

Apathy

Like I hope they see the backlash and decide to change their minds before the pay period stars and at least let you keep the games while subbed. It's a long shot seeing every decision up to now and how out of their mind they are but they can't go to market like this

They said at the end the month when you can't play it anymore you'll have the option to purchase it if you want.

How generous. :p

Don't see it as a big deal, it should be permanent but I'm not about to make a fuss over a $5-8 virtual console game.

The fuss is over paying for the online in general. Especially if the value proposition is so preposterously low compared to their competitors.

Maxim726X

Like I hope they see the backlash and decide to change their minds before the pay period stars and at least let you keep the games while subbed. It's a long shot seeing every decision up to now and how out of their mind they are but they can't go to market like this

I mean, it's still one old ass game a month.

Even if they let you keep it, it still doesn't justify the service.

It's not a monthly rental service.

Well, seeing as you don't pay for online now... Yeah, that's basically what it is. You get the privilege of using Nintendo's broken-ass online infrastructure plus a game rental.

Apathy

I mean, it's still one old ass game a month.

Even if they let you keep it, it still doesn't justify the service.

Well, seeing as you don't pay for online now... Yeah, that's basically what it is. You get the privilege of using Nintendo's broken-ass online infrastructure plus a game rental.

Oh believe me, o mean that would have to be the bare minimum for paying for online

Roufianos

Holy fucking shit. It expires at the end of the month? HAHA. Absolutely laughable. You'd think Nintendo were the market leader, their rivals are providing modern games that you can actually retain.

Just awful, this alone shows how out of touch they are.

People will pay the sub for the online. The free games won't really matter.

Also ps plus and Xbox live give more games but they are hardly ever that good. One good game from the nes/snes library will beat quantity.

The_Lump

Banned
They really need someone to help them learn how to communicate an idea.

It isn't 'Free'. It's a trial of a game. They need to stop calling it a 'Free' game.

If the online is like half the price of PS+ then I guess a trial game is fine as a nice perk.

If it's the same or more than PS+ then Nintendo performed some truly terrible market research when planning this thing.

Also ps plus and Xbox live give more games but they are hardly ever that good. One good game from the nes/snes library will beat quantity.

Agreed. And I think it was a long while before MS started offering monthly freebies. The monthly games are just a bonus.

There's still a lot we don't know, like monthly pricing. If there's not really any great games worth paying say $50 for, THAT would be a problem, yeah.

Apathy

Man that justification. Can't wait till the monthly game is street fighter 2010 or silver surfer

I get that but I've been paying for online since 2005, paid for Sony's so I'm not really waving a shame finger at Nintendo.

The value proposition are not in the same league....

HAHAHAHA, this is hilarious. That defense.

The paid service seems like a horrible joke in comparison to what we get with PS+ and XLG.

I can't believe some people are defending this service around the net, saying that they would rather have 1 retro NES or SNES game.

Animator

Are you fucking serious? PS+ gives away amazing games. Games that you get to keep after the month is over.

Wedzi

Banned
Man this is such a contrast to the Holiday sales we just had with some of the lowest cost for current consoles in their prime, controllers, accessories and new AAA games I've ever seen over such a period.

ibrahima

Banned
This is bad and they should feel bad, at least differentiate and give people the option to pay more if they would prefer to keep games, but a month is just shitty, this is some low tier penny pinching.

Toxi

Banned

LOL it looks like you over-value the NES/SNES catalog almost as much as Nintendo does.

Apathy

The only ones benefiting from this is going to be Microsoft and Sony. This Nintendo online sub us making them look like Santa Claus by comparison.

"Hey, we may be fucking you in the ass, but at least you get 4 games and two of them are for your our new system, and you keep them as long as you pay us to fuck you in the ass"

Petrae

The first part? Yeah, I agree with that. The sub fee is for the privilege of playing Mario Kart, Pokémon, and Splatoon 2 online. Game trials aren't that important, given what is being offered.

The second part, though? Can't agree with that sentiment. Sorry.

Nintendo is so far out of touch it blows my mind. This is not going to resonate with the mainstream at all, and Nintendo has long since lost the core gaming audience which could float this concept, and that's only if it made a lick of sense in the first place!

HotHamBoy

As long as you keep paying. It's a scam on all three systems.

Actually, with GWG it's yours forever, even if you don't resub.

PS Plus services three consoles. That's 6 games a month, many of whuch are cross buy so you mught get 4-5 games on PS4 or Vita one month alone (this month, in fact).

They've given out everything from NBA2k16 half a year after release to Rocket League on launch day.

Top Bottom