• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Shadowdrops Direct TODAY

Nah I think they have something up their sleeve for the second half of the year for when the new consoles launch but it's dry as shite for this half for sure.

They will certainly need their big Christmas title at the very least and so far it's anybodies guess. Zelda perhaps or a new Mario odyssey. Even a new Mario kart. One of those I'd say.

They need a bit hitter and it ain't gonna be Pokemon this year.

I suspect they do have a couple BIG third party titles this year and something for November. No idea what.

I am 100% convinced one of the games is COD though. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Madden also.
Maybe November game is BoTW2, Metroid, Switch Sports or something else entirely. Who knows.

I don’t think they have a ton of games, but I am expecting the ones they have are good!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
51 Classics is literally the best thing in the direct 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Are we ignoring these two?

xenoblade-chronicles-collectors-set.jpg
bravely-default-2-1.jpg

But I'm guessing you are not here for proper discussion.

As a huge Panzer Dragoon fan, this remake is a huge miss and pass for me. I don’t know who signed off on the bright, colorful visuals, the idiotically 2D reticle or the maddening bouncing dragon but just..... no.

Jesus, default photoshop gradient on the aiming reticule? 😲

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
As a huge Panzer Dragoon fan, this remake is a huge miss and pass for me. I don’t know who signed off on the bright, colorful visuals, the idiotically 2D reticle or the maddening bouncing dragon but just..... no.

The fuck Sega

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Oh man, I didn't realize how bad that Panzer Dragoon remake looks. I don't know if it's the dragon bopping up and down or the reticle being so distracting, but it looks like a cheap cash in. It deserved way more tlc than this.

mcjmetroid

As interested as I am to get Borderlands on Switch, late ports like these are fair to criticize. Hell, most of the ports announced are also ports of games of last generation games, almost 2 generations old since we're so close to next gen. I agree, good games are good games, but it still sucks that Switch is being considered a platform to not be taken seriously by third parties. Doom Eternal couldn't even keep it's launch date with other platforms, when it was initially announced at having the same date -_-
To be fair though they did try. The whole thing was delayed on all platforms, who knows what massive changes they had to make. I believe there was every intention to release at the same time.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Kacho Kacho , I really enjoyed your post, and felt similarly hyped about those games going to the Switch. Some people seem to forget that it's literally fun and games, and have this dark cloud of negativity over them at all times.

Keep being you, keep having fun, and keep sharing that fun.

The already posted GameXplain video on Panzer Dragoon is essentially where I've been on this game, since the trailers started to drop: the game is a technical upgrade, but fails to catch the spirit of the original Saturn release. While the remake isn't some high-end project, with the way SEGA allowed the title to stealth release absent any real fanfare, it makes me wonder, whether they aren't cutting their loses on this game & partnership.

Kacho

Clearly not hyping it up.
You are on a forum. If you express overwhelming positivity on something controversial, you’re likely to be quoted and possibly challenged.

Don’t get why you’re upset with a few people quoting you. Calm down.
"Challenged" lol

Sorry, just now seeing this. I'm just pushing back on the people quoting me to point out that old games are old. I'm good on brain dead negativity.

Again, I don't give a single fuck about whether someone shares my enthusiasm for these ports or not.

Long dormant game that gamers beg company to ressurect for over a decade gets resurrected; gamers then complain about artstyle and other superficial aspects of the game and say they won't buy it.

No wonder companies stop caring and releasing the same thing over and over.

Panzer Dragoon plays great and I hope you reconsider picking it up. If it doesn't sell well I can't see Sega remaking Zwei or Saga. It also gives them reasons to not revisit other franchises because of PD didn't do well, why bother trying Phantasy Star or Outrun or some other thing we've been begging for.

Long dormant game that gamers beg company to ressurect for over a decade gets resurrected; gamers then complain about artstyle and other superficial aspects of the game and say they won't buy it.

No wonder companies stop caring and releasing the same thing over and over.

Panzer Dragoon plays great and I hope you reconsider picking it up. If it doesn't sell well I can't see Sega remaking Zwei or Saga. It also gives them reasons to not revisit other franchises because of PD didn't do well, why bother trying Phantasy Star or Outrun or some other thing we've been begging for.
If they did a good job, it'd sell itself. Shitty cashgrab and they can go bankrupt for all I care.

Last edited:
I'm happy with especially Xenoblade, looks like they put a whole lot of effort into this remake and it was hands down the best RPG of last gen. I hope Bravely Default 2 will be good as well, but the rest wasn't too impressive. I hope they have a good showing around when E3 was supposed to be with some big hitters, they can't let the new consoles swipe the momentum out from under em.

If they did a good job, it'd sell itself. Shitty cashgrab and they can go bankrupt for all I care.

I don't get how this is a shitty cash grab. If the game was broken, constantly crashed, had loot boxes etc... It could be classified as that. But it isn't any of those things.

The Gamexlpain video even starts off by saying it's still a good game. Then he just nitpicks stuff for 8 minutes. "there's too much going on screen" to "there's not enough reflection in the water". "it looks too clean" "the dragon bounces" "why isnt inverted the standard control option".

People are acting like this is some 2/10 remake and it's not. As I said before, if the choice is to not support this game because of minor technical and visual changes that you don't like because it's not "faithful" to the original, that's cool. But if this is the last time we see Panzer Dragoon because this doesn't sell it will be a huge shame. The game is fine and it ventures nowhere near shitty cash grab territory.

I don't get how this is a shitty cash grab. If the game was broken, constantly crashed, had loot boxes etc... It could be classified as that. But it isn't any of those things.

The Gamexlpain video even starts off by saying it's still a good game. Then he just nitpicks stuff for 8 minutes. "there's too much going on screen" to "there's not enough reflection in the water". "it looks too clean" "the dragon bounces" "why isnt inverted the standard control option".

People are acting like this is some 2/10 remake and it's not. As I said before, if the choice is to not support this game because of minor technical and visual changes that you don't like because it's not "faithful" to the original, that's cool. But if this is the last time we see Panzer Dragoon because this doesn't sell it will be a huge shame. The game is fine and it ventures nowhere near shitty cash grab territory.
2/10? That's a bit generous don't you think bro? Are you on the development team?

mcjmetroid

I have to admit as well it doesn't look all that bad to me either. I've no interest because I don't really like rail shooters all that much but the complaints do seem a bit much for this. What I'm seeing graphically looks fine to me.

"It looks cheap"
Well it's a budget priced Game were people expecting monster Hunter world or something?

I mean I'm looking at streets of rage 4 and I'm thinking the same thing.

I'm thinking with a lot of these Sega games nostalgia is blinding people. Fans want a new game but don't want anything changed.. huh?

MilkLizard

What does this even mean? It's ok to release shit products because..... virus? Dafuk?
It means I have other priorities right now, but I‘m still happy to play Bioshock (never played 3 before), Borderlands and Panzer Dragoon. And I‘m still hoping for some GTA.

Also, Dafuk? I didn‘t see any shit products in this Direct.

Woopah

What does this even mean? It's ok to release shit products because..... virus? Dafuk?

It means the virus will absolutely have an impact on Nintendo's plan for 2020 and games will be internally delayed or shifted around because of it. I'd be really curious to see how different 2020 will be compared to what Nintendo planned at the beggining of the year, but I don't think we'll ever find out.

93xfan

Banned
"Challenged" lol

Sorry, just now seeing this. I'm just pushing back on the people quoting me to point out that old games are old. I'm good on brain dead negativity.

Again, I don't give a single fuck about whether someone shares my enthusiasm for these ports or not.
Yeah, games being old is not a real criticisml. Some of my favorite games are old, and I’d love to see them remastered.

I personally am frustrated because Nintendo has a ton of back catalog that they could remaster and we are getting none of it. The 2K games are widely available on current gen, so that’s largely where I don’t have much hype for them.

Beyond that, we’d hoped Nintendo would’ve announced something new to get us hyped this year.

For the first time, I’m not feeling positive about my switch.

cabbage5k2

Really, really liked the demo for Bravely Default 2, the visuals looks gorgeous, I might not get proper turn based FF with proper job system but I still have Bravely series.

Can't wait to see how much of a mindfuck this new game will be, and also in what new ways one can break the game in half.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Interesting, no rebuttals to anything I said. Another win for Milos. Thanks for playing.
Meh, you like the game, play it and be happy, don't be dumb and tell others what to like. I've been among the series' biggest fans and still participate in fan forums, not so much lately but in the past with theories and discussions of every minute aspect decades after the games but even Orta didn't do it for me, though I at least played through that fully. I also don't like the new Sakura Wars even though I love what I played of the older games. People want games/series to be brought back on par, not pass A for effort because it's not a cash grab from a small studio that likely tried its best with the funds SEGA gave when it's just not good enough. Panzer Dragoon can stay the canon trilogy it is if bringing it back doesn't do it justice. Acting all high and mighty about how your opinion rules all and judging other people/telling them off because they feel different about a video game? Lol?

Last edited:
Meh, you like the game, play it and be happy, don't be dumb and tell others what to like. I've been among the series' biggest fans and still participate in fan forums, not so much lately but in the past with theories and discussions of every minute aspect decades after the games but even Orta didn't do it for me, though I at least played through that fully. I also don't like the new Sakura Wars even though I love what I played of the older games. People want games/series to be brought back on par, not pass A for effort because it's not a cash grab from a small studio that likely tried its best with the funds SEGA gave when it's just not good enough. Panzer Dragoon can stay the canon trilogy it is if bringing it back doesn't do it justice. Acting all high and mighty about how your opinion rules all and judging other people/telling them off because they feel different about a video game? Lol?

I suggest you read the post I was replying to. I gave several points as to why I thought calling it "a shitty cash grab" was unfair. The poster responded with a cheap shit post and didn't address a single thing I said, so I hit them back with one. I don't think my opinion is more valid than his, or yours, or anyone else on this board.

Kazza

even Orta didn't do it for me,

Well, that puts your comments on this new Remake into some context - you have incredibly high standards! It's like if someone told me they thought a woman was ugly, but looking at her photo myself I thought that she was actually quite pretty, then he says "but even Scarlett Johansson doesn't do it for me" - ok, then I would understand, this dude's standards for what counts as a good looking woman is off the charts! Sharp knees, wouldn't bang, amirite :messenger_tears_of_joy: (or should that be "crappy colours/reflections, would not buy/play" in this case)

I only played the original Panzer after having played Orta (via the Pandora's box unlock). Going from 60 fps to 20 fps was a little too much to take. I also thought the lock-on was pretty laggy then compared to Orta, but maybe that is just a side effect of the emulation (the lower framerate probably doesn't help). That's why I am pleased they did this remake. Although it maybe can't compared to a AAA remake in an ideal world, it looks like they did a good job with it, and looks superior to the original in every way.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Well, that puts your comments on this new Remake into some context - you have incredibly high standards! It's like if someone told me they thought a woman was ugly, but looking at her photo myself I thought that she was actually quite pretty, then he says "but even Scarlett Johansson doesn't do it for me" - ok, then I would understand, this dude's standards for what counts as a good looking woman is off the charts! Sharp knees, wouldn't bang, amirite :messenger_tears_of_joy: (or should that be "crappy colours/reflections, would not buy/play" in this case)

I only played the original Panzer after having played Orta (via the Pandora's box unlock). Going from 60 fps to 20 fps was a little too much to take. I also thought the lock-on was pretty laggy then compared to Orta, but maybe that is just a side effect of the emulation (the lower framerate probably doesn't help). That's why I am pleased they did this remake. Although it maybe can't compared to a AAA remake in an ideal world, it looks like they did a good job with it, and looks superior to the original in every way.
Orta was a technically impressive game that played well, super smooth with an ingenious take on Saga's ideas, so I finished it at least like I said. But the art style didn't evoke Panzer Dragoon as it had evolved previously with creatures, ancient machines, float engines, the base dragon, etc., feeling off. The story was eesh, I liked the Imperial pov story much more in terms of mood though the gameplay of that part suffered, the encyclopedia was cool, as was the original game unlockable, etc., but the main game while a good rail shooter was like watered down Panzer Dragoon in my opinion.

Last edited:

Kazza

I liked the Imperial pov story much more in terms of mood though the gameplay of that part suffered

That was the only (gameplay) part I didn't like in the game. I felt the controls were a little strange, but maybe they meant for piloting those machines to feel less fluid than the dragon. When playing the original Panzer afterward I also missed the branching paths, beserk attack, different dragon forms, the dash/brake mechanic - they all added depth, and the original felt a bit simplistic without them. I understand that many of these concepts were introduced in Zwei, so I'm looking forward to the remake of that one.

Top Bottom