• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Small numbers of dead pixels are not a defect

Yikes

Glad mine doesn't have one. I had a stuck pixel on my iPad 2 (green) and apple replaced it, but the replacement had a stuck pixel (red). I then replaced that one and finally got a replacement without a stuck pixel - it had a dead pixel instead. 🌝

It's a number of things beyond just the dead pixel issue that I feel like I don't need to go into. In terms of this specifically though, Nintendo just comes off as pathetically defensive, something they would only do if they know they rushed their product to market and need to cover in the most insulting way.

Word. But in 2017 this is a shitty stance for a company to take. It's definitely a defect for the consumer.

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber...shooting_fr.jsp?idx=148570&modelname=LT-P227W

There we go

Can we stop this now please?

ViciousDS

Banned
Why do you think manufacturers offer a pixel defect warranty in addition the normal one.

This isn't new

But

FUCK YOU NINTENDO

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
So much for that Nintendo Seal of Quality. 😢

chrono01

Dead pixels are definitely common for LCD's, and it's not un-heard of for a manufacturer to refuse the return if it's only one or two (they often have a set limit to where they acknowledge it as a "problem"). That being said, for Nintendo to say that it's not a defect when it clearly is, that's wrong. It IS a defect, but one Nintendo doesn't necessarily need to concern themselves with (again, assuming the number of dead pixels isn't abnormally high).

The Switch definitely has its share of problems (such as the de-sync/dock issues), but I don't think we can (or should) add dead pixels to the list. Definitely might be worth waiting for a revision though, if you're worried about receiving a flawed console. I know that's what I'll be doing.

ozfunghi

Why is everybody jumping at Nintendo's throat for this? I have not once in my life bought a device with an LCD screen that did NOT have such stupid warranty clause. Not one.

By the way, it is possible to "massage" the dead pixel to life. I've done it on a couple screens.

score01

Dead pixels suck and I have replaced every device I have ever had that was cursed with one. Retailers will exchange for you but the standard policy from all manufacturers is a % of dead pixels. This is nothing new.

Thread title really needs to read: all manufacturers :

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
There is a difference between different calibrations of the same screens and literally different kind of screens. But hey it's Nintendo so the Nintendo Defense Force feels the need to protect the poor company for their quality issues, that aren't even new but stick with the company for some years now.

Can you fuck off with the NDF shit. Every company has its a-hat fanboys. Just because we don't get outraged at ever little thing doesn't mean we are gonna go defending Nintendo blindly.

Can't transfer save files...Problem
Dock can scratch switch...Problem

Pointing out a policy adopted by all companies but singling out one ...Trying to start shit

Should I make a thread too about how sony/apple each have a dead pixel threshold too?

MTC100

Banned
Stuck pixels aren't dead, you can "revitalize" them by rushing full screen green, red, blue, yellow colors over the screen, after about 30-60 minutes any stuck pixels should work fine again.

Dead pixels are black, they won't work ever again.

Nintendo would be wise to offer some kind of app that would flashes fullscreen colors over the screen so anyone could "repair" their stuck pixels. I did that several times with different displays and it always worked.

That said, there is an acceptable limit to having dead or stuck pixels and it depends on the resolution. I guess for the Switch it would be something like 4 or 5 stuck pixels? Also it depends if the pixels are in the center or on the edge of the screen.

I don't think there is some kind of law as to what is acceptable though, so if Nintendo doesn't exchange your unit you're pretty much screwed...

L.O.R.D

What about the bad screen calibration?
C6GeFtkWMAAd-Vt.jpg

Excuse me? I don't care what Samsung has to say, especially when those are screens much larger and with more pixels than the Switch.

You should when you at least claim that they seem like they're "pathetically defensive" when this is a normal stance and nothing out of the ordinary. It's pathetically defensive based on what? This is not a huge deal.

The size of the screen is not actually relevant either, these pixels are based on percentage not actual number

True, and there was a female YouTuber who recently sent away her 3DS for "dust" under the screen so I assume there is a fair bit of leeway.

Nah in that case they didn't replace hers, apparently the dust that was under it wasn't enough to warrant a repair. 3DS screens are quite weird and would need a huge amount of work just to replace, so they chose not to. But she was able to return it at the store no problem

What about the bad screen calibration?

That's another story but it is unfortunately also pretty common. What makes it bad on the switch is not being able to calibrate it yourself.

Idk it's one thing for a company to be scummy and not cover dead pixels within warranty (which most technically don't unless under specific circumstances). But to say it is a "feature" is hilarious.

Idk it's one thing for a company to be scummy and not cover dead pixels within warranty (which most technically don't unless under specific circumstances). But to say it is a "feature" is hilarious.

They didn't say it was a feature, they said what all manufactures say, a small number of dead pixels is characteristic of the technology and should not be considered a defect.
It becomes a defect when the number passes a certain threshold.

Schlorgan

Or many acknowledge it as a defect if it had a dead or stuck pixel.

This is not a good look Nintendo. Especially when many phone manufactures get screens from other companies and still acknowledge it as a defect.
I think manufacturer's policies for phones/tablets would be way more useful to compare this to.

They didn't say it was a feature, they said what all manufactures say, a small number of dead pixels is characteristic of the technology and should not be considered a defect.
It becomes a defect when the number passes a certain threshold.

A characteristic is a feature or quality. My bad I shouldn't have put quotes I guess.

Ninja Dom

FFS!!!

Can we get this thread closed??

People are using this as a Switch trolling thread when Nintendo have said this for over 10 years and other companies say the same thing.

Mael

This is the kinds of threads that shows that some people have an axe to grind...
Reminds me of the user scores on mc.

Top Bottom