• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Small numbers of dead pixels are not a defect

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I imagine you would get the same "dead pixels are not a defect" response from Apple, Sony, Nintendo and every other company.

Of course. These guys don't want to eat the losses from every screen that had a defect. It's the consumer's problem.

I don't know where you are going with this, they are indeed a characteristic of the LCD technology, a lot of manufacturers state the same thing.

Is it a shit policy? Yes, but it is not a Nintendo thing.

Receipts, please. I'm aware that manufacturers tend to not cover dead or stick pixels, within limits as stated. But even in the thread linked in regard to the PSP they didn't say it was a characteristic, just that they will not cover it. Most manufacturers actually will cover dead pixels if there are a certain amount or have a certain proximity or combination of both.

Matt

Receipts, please. I'm aware that manufacturers tend to not cover dead or stick pixels, within limits as stated. But even in the thread linked in regard to the PSP they didn't say it was a characteristic, just that they will not cover it. Most manufacturers actually will cover dead pixels if there are a certain amount or have a certain proximity or combination of both.
Nintendo's policy clearly states a "small amount," so it's just like every other policy.

And using the word "characteristic" is accurate.

DVCY201

Is this what Gaf has turned into? Literally nit picking over generic statements from support, despite other companies having the same statement? How far we've fallen

I need a break. There are legitimate complaints, but some of you have too much of a hate boner for Nintendo.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid-crystal_display#Quality_control
Is this enough?

Vena

I think this may be the most desperate attempt at a hot take I've seen in some time, this has been the stance for most screened products for years, and it does not preclude them doing an RMA if there are dead pixels and you contact CS.

OP sure was desperate for sensationalism.

Seeing this as a post convinces me you have no idea what you're actually doing other than trying to stir up shit. This is just plain stupid.

Peterc

AndyD

aka andydumi
TV manufacturers usually have a threshold of 7-10 dead/stuck pixels across whole screen or 3 pixels in a cluster. But that's on 1080p and higher screens which have a ton more pixels and you can't even really see single dead pixels from several feet away.

With a handheld, like a phone, it's immediately obvious even at 1 dead pixel. I would not accept a single one on a phone/handheld.

According to display industry standards, it's not a defect.

Now you might not agree with that definition (I don't really either), but again, that has nothing specifically to do with Nintendo.

No other company but Nintendo has explicitly stated it is not a defect to my knowledge. Honestly I'm sure this isn't a broad issue and they will hopefully cover these to some extent. The wording is hysterical, however.

Vena

To say it is not a defect is incorrect.

Defects are defined as completely unexpected and against working standards by the industry norms. A dead pixel is effectively a random result and, within a certain threshold, it is not considered a defect because there's no real control aside from just throwing out panels with dead pixels where they could, in almost all cases, be used without problem.

NolbertoS

First time adopters doing Nintendo's Beta testing. My Vita has a few dead pixels, but it doesn't impact the Vita experience overall. I suspect Nintendo will add a better OLED model down the road

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm coming in late to this thread but I used to work for a company that sold educational technology to schools and univiersities, and we sold a lot of the DLP projectors. Those manufacturers tried to spin the same bullshit, but I believe it came out as a defect in the chip that Texas Instruments manufactured that some of these projectors would develop either black or white "bubbles" after 2-3 years of use. They tried to claim they were isolated incidents and easy to ignore but more often the dead pixel issue would spread until the image quality was severely compromised. I doubt the switch uses the technology, but either way, dead pixels aren't easy to ignore and usually get worse.

CronoShot

Good ol' clickbaity titles.

As pointed out already, this is a pretty standard policy for all manufacturers of products with LCD screens.

Vena

No other company but Nintendo has explicitly stated it is not a defect to my knowledge. Honestly I'm sure this isn't a broad issue and they will hopefully cover these to some extent. The wording is hysterical, however.

Dell, for instance, doesn't define them as defects, they are just called dead pixels and acceptable within a certain threshold. They require six dead pixels to replace a panel, for instance except in special grade instances where even a single pixel is considered worthy of replacement.

Language for this is all over the place, ASUS considers them "defects" but will also have a 2-5 pixel threshold to do a replacement.

Defects are defined as completely unexpected and against working standards by the industry norms. A dead pixel is effectively a random result and, within a certain threshold, it is not considered a defect because there's no real control aside from just throwing out panels with dead pixels where they could, in almost all cases, be used without problem.

I would imagine any defect from a mass manufactured product spurs from a random result regardless of the amount of control the company may have. Defects will happen and are unavoidable but they are still atypical.

Dell, for instance, doesn't define them as defects, they are just called dead pixels and acceptable within a certain threshold. They require six dead pixels to replace a panel, for instance except in special grade instances where even a single pixel is considered worthy of replacement.

Language for this is all over the place, ASUS considers them "defects" but will also have a 2-5 pixel threshold to do a replacement.

I've literally already said this twice

Vena

I would imagine any defect from a mass manufactured product spurs from a random result regardless of the amount of control the company may have. Defects will happen and are unavoidable but they are still atypical.

Major defects are usually from poor engineering, rush-jobs, or untested technologies. Panel dead pixels are a more literal form of RNG on a very robust production process.

I guess you should stop buying so many apple products then

Oh wait

I mean, did I call for a boycott of Nintendo products? I just said it's not Nintendo specifically and a shitty policy across the board. How you extrapolated that to some form of outrage on my end that called for no longer purchasing products is beyond me.

When my 2012 rmbp had a defective LCD I took it to the apple store and had the entire panel replaced. No questions asked.

Point being when the user pays good money for a product they don't want subpar performance in the hardware.

No need to wait. The Switch is a great device. Enjoying the hell out of mine thus far. Don't let comments on a forum scare you away.

Agreed. I'm enjoying mine so far.

The_Lump

Banned
So...

Same policy they had for WiiU, 3DS, DS.

Same policy Sony, Apple and anyone else producing devices with LCD screens has.

...But it's a big deal now because?

They are characteristic of shitty LCD's.

I haven't had a dead pixel LCD for like 10 years.

You realize a dead pixel or stuck pixel has no bearing on how shitty or high quality an LCD panel is, right? It can happen to any LCD panel, regardless of price.

So...

Same policy they had for WiiU, 3DS, DS.

Same policy Sony, Apple and anyone else producing devices with LCD screens has.

...But it's a big deal now because?

Because someone wanted to make a shitty outrage thread that lures gullible people into reading thread titles and not figuring out this isn't a news story or some issue on a large scale, it's literally a small sentence pulled from a support page.

I've never had a dead pixel. I must be super lucky.

I had two. On an old shitty samsung monitor I purchased a loooong time ago. Wasn't even 1080p that wasn't a thing yet, lol. And a 65 in LG. Took that shit RIGHT back after spending so much money.

Manufacturers can say what they want and have their policies but from my perspective as a consumer a dead pixel is a defect and if I can't get a replacement I would get an immediate refund.

I think most of us know who is the one doing gimnastycs here tho. And I just came from other thread where I was shitting on Nintendo for a yellow tinted screen, but this is really not a Nintendo thing.

No one said dead pixels was a Nintendo thing. I laughed at the word usage and people took my claims in a totally different direction (which I twice reiterated). I am being as practical and objective as possible in what the definition of a defect and specifically a defective pixel is. Since everyone wants to throw up links to Wikipedia as to what an LCD panel is made of (I used to be a magnolia home theater expert) I'll just leave this here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defective_pixel

It's a defect.... just not one they will accept returns for

*a defect that they may or may not accept warranty claims for based on their SOP regarding the proliferation of defective pixels

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
That's amusing. I remember being annoyed as fuck when I got 3 PSPs in a row that had dead pixel issues. And that was 2005.

Top Bottom