• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Small numbers of dead pixels are not a defect

Matt

No one said dead pixels was a Nintendo thing. I laughed at the word usage and people took my claims in a totally different direction (which I twice reiterated). I am being as practical and objective as possible in what the definition of a defect and specifically a defective pixel is. Since everyone wants to throw up links to Wikipedia as to what an LCD panel is made of (I used to be a magnolia home theater expert) I'll just leave this here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defective_pixel

*a defect that they may or may not accept warranty claims for based on their SOP regarding the proliferation of defective pixels
The difference is between a defective pixel, and how many defective pixels it takes to make a defective panel.

Jesus Christ.

Between the laughable save file system (or lack thereof), the dock scratching, the desync issues, the wifi problems and anemic software launch, this feels like one of the most botched system launches in recent memory. And now Nintendo's nonchalant attitude towards a screen defect? Fuck you Nintendo, Zelda deserves to be on better hardware than this.

It does

I personally think this is Nintendo's last hurrah in "console" market.

The switch feels like a "Hail Mary" so they are trying to make all the money possible on this last try.

They said never to mobile and now have games on iOS.

Rizific

Holy balls of Jesus Christ himself. This is up there as one the most blatantly bullshit statements I think I've ever seen. The incompetence runs deep over at Nintendo.

kiri

Looking at my screen now, seems that I have two dead pixels - one a murky grey/brown and another fairly bright royal blue.

They aren't irritating me, but even if I did want to take it back, I'd lose all Zelda save data anyway, right?

Looking at my screen now, seems that I have two dead pixels - one a murky grey/brown and another fairly bright royal blue.

They aren't irritating me, but even if I did want to take it back, I'd lose all Zelda save data anyway, right?

Never go into a thread about dead pixels.

Life changing.

Not for the better.

Matt

We're done here
?

Nothing that I said is inaccurate. Under industry standards, a certain number of pixels need to be defective before a panel is considered such.

I find any number to be unacceptable for me, but that's what the industry standard is. It's not Nintendo specific.

filly

Wow fuck off Nintendo, it make me sick to the stomach thinking they would take a return because of this. Good thing I ordered on Amazon.

?

Nothing that I said is inaccurate. Under industry standards, a certain number of pixels need to be defective before a panel is considered such.

I find any number to be unacceptable for me, but that's what the industry standard is. It's not Nintendo specific.

I really like your avi. Dark Wing duck is a great show and I honestly wouldn't be opposed to a remake of some sort.

m00h

Banned
Heard that sentence a lot of times. I had a Galaxy Note 3 and there were 2 dead pixels on the screen, and the sales manager told me that I need at least 3 dead pixels to declare it as a defect. So I had to shout at him for 10 minutes to get an exchange. It seems like it's usual to tell consumers this kind of things.

Mechazawa

Some LCD manufacturers say you need a certain amount of dead pixels before they'll RMA and it's EQUALLY AS BULLSHIT.

A dead pixel is a broken fucking display.

gogogow

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/...-or-light-patches-on-the-screen--1201195.html
Did a search and couldn't find anything.

Switch my pixels if old.
Sensationalist thread title? Maybe
As a company who's made a shitload of money from great software, why can't they ever hire anyone to do their hardware right?

Not sure wth that means, but what a thread. Nintendo is saying having some defective pixels is "acceptable", which is the norm for every manufacterer out there. Last I checked, display panel manufacterers still haven't found the magic sauce to produce 100% perfect panels. Defective pixels are still a problem for every single device out there with a display panel. It's not a problem exclusive to Nintendo.

It also says "small amount". So Nintendo will replace it, if it goes over a certain amount of dead pixels, basically the same as any company out there.

Apple March 2016 said:
With the millions of subpixels on a display, it is quite possible to have a low number of faulty transistors on an LCD. Therefore, a certain number of subpixel anomalies is considered acceptable. Rejecting all but perfect LCD panels would significantly increase the retail price for products using LCD displays. These factors apply to all manufacturers using LCD technology--not just Apple products.

My $2500 MacBook Pro also has a dead pixel. Apple won't fix it for free as they don't consider it a defect either.

Pretty sure Nintendo is not alone here. Sucks nonetheless though.

I would've taken it back to the store for an exchange or a refund. Don't let them play you like that.

FFS!!!

Can we get this thread closed??

People are using this as a Switch trolling thread when Nintendo have said this for over 10 years and other companies say the same thing.

Or you could just ignore the thread besides theres more pressing issues with the Switch launch.

Instro

"It's a feature"

Their responses to the issues that have been brought up with the Switch have been horrendous. Totally expected given how dreadful their communication usually is.

Matt, mate, shields down. I know how often your no-nonsense approach enrages others and leads to sophisticated agendas and plots against you. But in this case, I think that we can all agree that Darkwing Duck rules.

I had nothing further to say and just wanted it to be known Dark Wing Duck was a great cartoon.

Amazon to stop selling the Switch in 3 2 1...

1... 2.... SWITCH!

They are saying this because they don't want returns. If even some people listen and just believe Nintendo that it's not a defect it's worth it for them. Of course they know it's a defect.

ethomaz

Banned
I know it is hard to believe but I never bought a product with dead pixels... and I buy a lot of screens (notebook, MacBook, phones, TVs, portables, etc).

For me it is really a defect.

My New 3DS XL has one white stuck pixel right in the upper middle area. But this has always been their policy so can't do anything about it.

This was seriously my biggest concern about the Switch. Getting one with those again. :p
You can buy from a company that accepts returns. That's what you can do. Fuck that nonsense. If it's not perfect, it's not going to keep my money.

Matt

Matt, mate, shields down. I know how often your no-nonsense approach enrages others and leads to sophisticated agendas and plots against you. But in this case, I think that we can all agree that Darkwing Duck rules.
lol, Darkwing Duck does indeed rule. The "thanks" was genuine, the question mark was because of the randomness.

Neff

Sony told me the exact same thing when my first PSP had one (had to lie and make up some other fault to get a replacement). The 'dead pixels aren't a defect' thing is ancient and far from exclusive to Nintendo.

A pixel died and they'd have to spend money to send another one and "refurbish" the defective one.

Of course they are going try to avoid that. It still doesn't make them any less of an asshole for not considering such a blatant defect a defect.

Condom

Typically most companies will RMA it if there's X ammount of dead pixels. I've never heard or RMA for 1 dead pixel though. Though, i don't buy that many screens and i've been so very lucky so far with them.

This. It's normal warranty policy (worldwide) to not replace in case of just 1 dead pixel.
Edit: if people want a change in this they better be prepared to pay a 15% premium

gcubed

This. It's normal warranty policy (worldwide) to not replace in case of just 1 dead pixel.
Edit: if people want a change in this they better be prepared to pay a 15% premium

Yea, I mean some companies advertise a zero dead pixel policy as a perk. A few pixels don't normally constitute a replacement on these

jts

...hate me...
Sony: Dead pixels are a normal occurrence for all LCD displays.

In all LCD panels there exists the possibility that there may be a small number of pixels that do not change color. This is a normal occurrence for all LCD displays from all manufacturers. Most defects are noticeable only while the computer is starting or when an all white or all black screen is displayed and should not be noticeable under normal operation.

NOTE: Some pixels can appear dead or defective if there is debris on the screen. Clean the screen thoroughly with a soft dry cloth to confirm whether or not the issue is due to defective pixels rather than just dirt or debris.

Because the occurrence of a defective pixel or pixels is normal on all LCD screens, if the LCD screen is replaced with a new one, there is a high probability that the replacement LCD will also exhibit the same characteristics, and potentially have an even greater number of defective pixels or have those pixels appear in a more noticeable position than on the one being replaced.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39371/c/65,66/kw/screen replacement

Maybe I should also make a thread out of this. Wonder if it will also reach 4 pages at least.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ah the "Fuck you, consumer!!" approach to business. Sure everyone in the boardroom let out hearty cheers when they decided on this snippet.

Top Bottom