• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'm so buying this:
TAbcnmr.jpg

It's always a fight in the car with my girls for the iPad. That's the end of it :)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Man this week is going to pass so slow. Too slow.

Out of all the Wii U ports, I'm most enthusiastic about the Xeno X. I think I'm ready to spend another almost 200 hours in it. It's much more fitting to my commute than MK and Splatoon.

Doshin (and Day of Crisis) were both released in Europe.

Never released in US, but it came out in Europe and Australia.

One of the major tragedies during the Wii days. NoA simply refused to bring games like that over, which fuggin' sucked. North America got screwed over hard back then. With things being region free, that kind of thing will matter less...I hope.
Son of a bitch!

Well they've brought over titles never released in NA via the Virtual Console, so I guess there's always hope there.

If I mod my Wii/Wii U can I get rid of the region lock? I have the homebrew channel on the vWii on my Wii U but I've yet to actually use it for anything and if I can find a copy of DDoC or Doshin I've always really wanted to play those.

EDarkness

I'm a grown ass adult with a vehicle that doesn't travel much. LOL, most of my games will be played at home so I don't care about the portable aspect.

I don't have a car, but 98% of my games will be played on my TV. No need for more than that. This is why I wish they had two form factors. One console for the TV and one portable for those who want on-the-go gaming. Both systems play the same games.

saskuatch

I feel like it's asking a lot for them to beat the prices of machines released 3.5 years earlier.

machines released 3.5 years earlier that are cheaper, more powerful, are well estabilished not going to lose software support any time soon and have a far larger game library. By comparison the switch offers Nintendo games with the possibility of a large game library 2-3 years from now and the possibility if it flops they will stop supporting it.......................

Some people might buy it based on nintendo power alone, but I would wager a large portion would see what it offers and the price...

Lutherian

Black screen.

Anxious music starts, seems creepy and yet very familiar.

"Nintendo 2017" appears slowly in big, red letters.

Piano notes are added to the creepy music.

"Retro Studios" in big blue letters.

Samus Aran appears just for a second on the screen.

Metroid 5: Other Federation Force. Now we're (not) talking (anymore).

Papacheeks

Banned
I don't have a car, but 98% of my games will be played on my TV. No need for more than that. This is why I wish they had two form factors. One console for the TV and one portable for those who want on-the-go gaming. Both systems play the same games.

I'v been saying this for a while. It would cater to both demographics. Then all they would have to do is do a bundle that includes both for enthusiasts.

The hand held can be paired with the home console one and used as a controller/mini console that syncs to base unit.

Oersted

Good job you won't have to worry about picking what third party games to buy. ;-)

I'm never sure if your trolling is genuine, or if you are just silly in the expectation that people see how silly it is, to not take it serious.

The minimum this console will cost is $250, anybody wanting or expecting less is delusional and doesn't know what they are looking at.

Just a complete guess, but given that Shield and Switch will have a rather similiar chipset and me thinking that Shield isn't sold at loss, I can imagine 250.

ASIS

I'v been saying this for a while. It would cater to both demographics. Then all they would have to do is do a bundle that includes both for enthusiasts.

The hand held can be paired with the home console one and used as a controller/mini console that syncs to base unit.

How much does the screen cost anyway?

Speaking about F-zero, what do you think about this:

@Chris_Dring @ArcadeGirl64 I know there's a new F-Zero for Switch in development. Why nobody talks about it?

@phantomliger89 @Chris_Dring @ArcadeGirl64 (1) I've heard of it from multiple sources in NOA. It will probably be released in 2017.

From the Christopher Dring tweet, link here: https://twitter.com/Chris_Dring/status/816958502816153600... The original tweet was posted in this topic but that comment caught my eye.

I don't remember hearing any rumours about that game, what about you guys?

And yeah, random Twitterer yada yada but mostly I'm interested in if there's been any murmur about this topic? Fake rumours at least? Or is that IP more dead than Metroid Primes?

Oregano

Even 15$ is too much for this, trust me.

I'm still salty that they basically dropped both FF Explorers and Bravely in favour of it.

I'm never sure if your trolling is genuine, or if you are just silly in the expectation that people see how silly it is, to not take it serious.

Just a complete guess, but given that Shield and Switch will have a rather similiar chipset and me thinking that Shield isn't sold at loss, I can imagine 250.

Sometimes I'm not even sure myself...

NateDrake

Cuningas de Häme;227739190 said:

From the Christopher Dring tweet, link here: https://twitter.com/Chris_Dring/status/816958502816153600... The original tweet was posted in this topic but that comment caught my eye.

And yeah, random Twitterer yada yada but mostly I'm interested in if there's been any murmur about this topic? Fake rumours at least? Or is that IP more dead than Metroid Primes?

The entire account is based around F-Zero info being shared. https://twitter.com/vlotarmo

Pineapple

Not strictly Nintendo, but I'd love a new Golden Sun. I guess Camelot are busy on something...

A new Golden Sun game on the Switch would be amazing.

It feels like Nintendo allows so many of these iconic IPs to just...disappear. I would love to see another Advance Wars as well.

Take Metroid for example - Metroid could be Nintendo's own version of Halo. An epic story in the single player campaign, combined with multiplayer, both online and local. They could totally turn Metroid into that type of franchise in terms of scale and scope, and it would undoubtedly bring a lot of new players into their ecosystem. But it's been, what, a decade since the last Metroid Prime game?

I don't get it.

Cuningas de Häme;227739190 said:

Could be someone just trying to shake the brush. Throw out "oh I've heard of game X from people, hey [person with actual real sources] haven't you heard about it too?" just to try and trick them into spilling the beans.

Oersted

Black screen.

Anxious music starts, seems creepy and yet very familiar.

"Nintendo 2017" appears slowly in big, red letters.

Piano notes are added to the creepy music.

"Retro Studios" in big blue letters.

Samus Aran appears just for a second on the screen.

Metroid 5: Other Federation Force. Now we're (not) talking (anymore).

Metroid 5? There are 6 Prime titles, 3 being spinoffs. Overall obviously even more titles.

jmizzal

Did Day of Crisis ever come out in America? That looked so cool but I don't remember it ever being released here. Or was it Japan-only like Doshin and you imported?

Speaking of Doshin that's a VC title I wish they'd release like Lost Levels or some of the other Japanese-only VC releases.

It only come to Japan and Europe, I played it on my homebrowed NA Wii

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Two homes and 1 TV, gotta step it up bruh!!! LOL!!!

Lol
in my second home I have another TV but no console set
That's why Switch will be useful for my holidays XD

To play the same games the specs /tech should still be the same, so the home should still be a wiiu+
So where is the advantage?
You can still use the actual Switch as a normal home console if you want
And it would lose its USP / marketing key concept so it would probably be harder to find success /continue getting games

Metroid 5? There are 6 Prime titles, 3 being spinoffs. Overall obviously even more titles.

I assume he's talking about the "mainline" 2D (besides Other M) Metroid games made by Sakamoto and co. in Japan. Both Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion were internally called "Metroid 3" and "Metroid 4" respectively.

Prime is kinda classified as its own seperate subseries

Seil

Probably comes from there being four core entries: Metroid, Metroid II, Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion.

Zero Mission is a remake of the original and that... "other" thing... never happened.

Really though, the Prime series is okay and all but it's not what I want from Metroid lol. And it's generally considered its own thing.

Edit: Beaten.

sanstesy

Man this week is going to pass so slow. Too slow.

Out of all the Wii U ports, I'm most enthusiastic about the Xeno X. I think I'm ready to spend another almost 200 hours in it. It's much more fitting to my commute than MK and Splatoon.

Me too but I really hope they don't just port the game over as it is and instead actually fix some of the easy to fix but still annoying issues the game has. Could elevate the game to a new level for me.

Scrawnton

Okay so I have been sick with bronchitis for over a week and today was one of those days where I barely checked this thread. Anything happen outside of the possible Monolith and mother 3 stuff?

A new Golden Sun game on the Switch would be amazing.

It feels like Nintendo allows so many of these iconic IPs to just...disappear. I would love to see another Advance Wars as well.

Take Metroid for example - Metroid could be Nintendo's own version of Halo. An epic story in the single player campaign, combined with multiplayer, both online and local. They could totally turn Metroid into that type of franchise in terms of scale and scope, and it would undoubtedly bring a lot of new players into their ecosystem. But it's been, what, a decade since the last Metroid Prime game?

I don't get it.

Where
The
Fuck
Is
Advance Wars
?

And many more!

Advance Wars is a dead franchise. Each entry sold less than the last. Days of Ruin was the last chance with a reboot and new aesthetic.

Fire Emblem simply sells more.

FE was just as dead, before Awakening saved it just 4 years ago. Nintendo tired with AW but it never took of

Oersted

I assume he's talking about the "mainline" 2D (besides Other M) Metroid games made by Sakamoto and co. in Japan. Both Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion were internally called "Metroid 3" and "Metroid 4" respectively.

Prime is kinda classified as its own seperate subseries

So a 2D mainline title based on a 3D spinoff, which flopped, by a studio which never made the 2D entries.

Make better jokes people! :D

AgeEighty

As excited I as I am for Switch, I'm trying to keep my expectations and hopes in check, and I really would suggest everyone try to do the same. It almost never works out in our favor to let the hype train become a runaway.

oti

Banned
My dream list of announcements would be:

FZero
The Ubi-Mario RPG being tactics based
Advanced Wars
Metroid
Pokemon
Animal Crossing

I think the possibility for this is pretty big. Not just because that's what they did for the 3DS launch but also because it suits the Rabbids IP the best. Stuff like Ninja Rabbids, Pirate Rabbidy and so on, easier to put all these classes in a tactics game I'd imagine.

Scrawnton

As excited I as I am for Switch, I'm trying to keep my expectations and hopes in check, and I really would suggest everyone try to do the same. It almost never works out in our favor to let the hype train become a runaway.

Even the worst case scenario of what switch could be excites me. Wii U again is worst case scenario and I had a good time with Wii U. This time, however, the handheld and console development will make this system at least as packed as 3ds and that is my current favorite system of all time.

Oersted

I expect what I know. I don't expect things I don't know.

A principle that works all the time with everything.

Josh5890

My dream list of announcements would be:

FZero
The Ubi-Mario RPG being tactics based
Advanced Wars
Metroid
Pokemon
Animal Crossing

My dream 6:

Animal Crossing
Star Fox
Wave Race
Diddy Kong Racing
Conkers Bad Fur Day
Final Fantasy VI- the Sequel we never had

Neonep

Something is going to be wrong with the Switch that nobody is expecting and it will be a major talking point. Not sure exactly what it will be but there will be something.

I'm not keeping my expectations in check. Nintendo has been dry for so long. Pretty much all their teams moved to Switch years ago. I'm expecting a lot of great games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom