• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
I will honestly be shocked if the base model isn't $249, shocked! Nvidia puts out the Shield TV for $199 and supposedly makes a profit on hardware, so that kind of helps put things into perspective.

I don't think you can compare these too. To me the Nvidia Shield TV/Tablet was more of a product to promote the Nvidia chips, not the hardware itself. It's not supposed to make bank and it's not Nvidia's main product anyway. For Nintendo, Switch is their business. They want and need to make enough money with every unit sold.

Lgndryhr

I am still under the impression we will see 249.99 for basic sku and 299.99 for deluxe sku. I have been hearing the price of $299 for a while and still believe this will be a price for one of the sku's.

Akhe

Guys, are we..... really feeling it?

y-y-YEEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
foodgasim.gif

openrob

I just got an invite to the Jan 14-15 demo event in Paris. Woohoo!

Anyone got one?

Here's my question though: while you have to bring an adult with you if you're a minor ("un accompagnant"), they're not making it clear whether you can still bring someone even you're an adult yourself. I want to go with a friend, but since the only word they use is "accompagnant", I have no idea what they mean. And I'm too afraid to give it a try lest I screw up and they cancel my invite.

Here's what the Weezevent page says.

"Si vous souhaitez venir accompagné, merci de bien vouloir saisir les coordonnées de votre accompagnant dans le formulaire. Aucune entrée ne sera autorisée sans inscription au préalable.

Votre e-billet à présenter lors de votre venue au Grand Palais, nominatif et incessible, vous sera envoyé par mail dans les plus brefs délais. Une sera demandée à chaque participant à l'entrée.

Informations importantes : Toute personne mineure doit être accompagnée d'une personne majeure, toute sortie sera définitive. Pas de valises, grands sacs (format supérieur A3), et caméras autorisées (seulement mobile, petits appareils photo / vidéo). Le cas échéant l'accès à l'évènement pourra vous être refusé."

See what I mean? It almost makes it sound it's only okay to bring someone if they're the one "taking you" to the event like you're a minor.

Anyone know?

Also, if there are any other GAFfers going, let me know!

[EDIT] Also, the other weird thing is that the event was set up via Weezevent, and while there are no shady links or grammar and it overall looks like the real thing, the fact that it's seemingly coming out of nowhere (my old Nintendo club account doesn't exist anymore) from "contact@weezevent.com" is odd.

It means (according to my French speaking wife) that basically you HAVE to bring someone if you are a minor, but you CAN bring someone if you are an adult. To do so, you have to provide their details/contact details using the form they provide, or else they won't be allowed in.

sanstesy

The wife of the director of Xenoblade has retweeted the Switch Presentation Tweet.

There's a chance it might mean nothing... but there's a chance it might mean something.

She has been retweeting literally every official tweet. Most likely the XCX port but I also wouldn't be surprised to see a tease of their next project. It's been 2 years since development finished on XCX.

Considering how we have been using a second screen with most of Nintendo's games since 2004 it will be interesting how some games adapt going back to one screen

Remain on the 3ds oppose to the switch? It's definitely interesting to think about. Thinking about third party games that are comfortable with two screens too, that don't need a lot of graphical oomph like yokai watch. Do they compromise for switch or continue on with 3ds and its userbase and make something else for switch? Hard to think how things will pan out.

Kimawolf

I feel like 299 will be a huge pill to swallow considering the price of the other consoles right now. Nintendo doesn't want to approach that price.

I sort of agree and on the other hand... nintendo has being new first and foremost, and if it can really offer an experience simply not found anywhere else, something you could pull out and people are impressed by, it can easily be worth it. Value is always based on perception after all.

Hell people were crazy and paying hundreds for NES classic on ebay. all about perceived value.

My personal opinion though still is it will be 199.99 basic unit, and 249.990 Premium unit, only difference being more internal storage and possibly pro controller. I think Splatoon will be pack in game for both versions.

I don't think you can compare these too. To me the Nvidia Shield TV/Tablet was more of a product to promote the Nvidia chips, not the hardware itself. It's not supposed to make bank and it's not Nvidia's main product anyway. For Nintendo, Switch is their business. They want and need to make enough money with every unit sold.

Oh I'm not saying that they're directly comparable in terms of relevance to their business. Just that if the Shield TV has similiar tech and still makes a profit at that price on hardware sales, Nintendo should be able to do the same with Switch around $249. I don't expect them to take a loss on hardware at all.

JonnyKong

The more I read of all these Wii U ports, the more anxious it makes me feel. I want the Switch presentation next week to be full of new games. I don't want minutes wasted talking about Xenoblade, Rayman Legends, others.

Nanashrew

Banned
Considering how we have been using a second screen with most of Nintendo's games since 2004 it will be interesting how some games adapt going back to one screen

Well we're already seeing some of the decisions on recent games like Pokemon and the lack of PSS in Sun and Moon. Everything was moved to the Festival Plaza, with the exception of O-Powers and Super Training.

My favourite version of this meme is this one, from right after the Zelda E3 2016 reveal :
baa.jpg

57vlCtm.png

I sort of agree and on the other hand... nintendo has being new first and foremost, and if it can really offer an experience simply not found anywhere else, something you could pull out and people are impressed by, it can easily be worth it. Value is always based on perception after all.

Hell people were crazy and paying hundreds for NES classic on ebay. all about perceived value.

My personal opinion though still is it will be 199.99 basic unit, and 249.990 Premium unit, only difference being more internal storage and possibly pro controller. I think Splatoon will be pack in game for both versions.

I don't get why people are expecting this to be $200. The 3DS was $250 at launch. The base Wii U was $300. While the 3DS price was a mistake, the Switch offers so much more.

Did anybody stop to think maybe one reason Nintendo wants us to think of it as a home console first is so we expect a home console price?

Waji

Nobody is less ready than me to get this new Monolith game.
Come one dream game, come to me... wake me up at this 5am presentation.

Whatever Soraya Saga says I take it as a teaser now...
I mean, even her new year tweet :

Happy new year. May it be filled with pleasant surprises.

Come on... we know what "pleasant surprises" means !

Waji

The wife of the director of Xenoblade has retweeted the Switch Presentation Tweet.

There's a chance it might mean nothing... but there's a chance it might mean something.
She never retweeted any Xenoblade New 3ds Nintendo Direct, only XenobladeX related.
The only exception might be for Shulk in Smash Bros but I didn't check this one.

Considering how many retweet she did for this Switch Event, eithe se changed her way to tweet and just want to help the Switch hype or there's no doubt, "Xenoblade 3" is coming.

EDarkness

She never retweeted any Xenoblade New 3ds Nintendo Direct, only XenobladeX related.
The only exception might be for Shulk in Smash Bros but I didn't check this one.

Considering how many retweet she did for this Switch Event, eithe se changed her way to tweet and just want to help the Switch hype or there's no doubt, "Xenoblade 3" is coming.

Trying not to get hyped, but this isn't helping....

LordKano

If nothing happens...
Xenoblade-Chronicles-X-2.jpg

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Will I...will I survive this?

NSESN

I am trying to keep my hype in check to make the time pass faster. But the perspective of new Monolith soft game being teased is too much.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Chanceux -_-

:D
Pour une fois que j'ai de la chance sur ce genre de trucs.

Je pense que tu peux venir accompagné de n'importe qui, tant que tu es majeur. C'était déjà comme ça dans les précédents events presse de Nintendo. Et, pour ta question sur Weezevent, sache que Nintendo n'a pas de boîte de relation presse interne, ils outsource tout, donc c'est normal d'avoir à contacter une adresse mail externe à Nintendo.

Ah d'accord, je comprends mieux, merci. Je me suis inscrit, et effectivement, ça a l'air d'être bon pour mon pote.

It means (according to my French speaking wife) that basically you HAVE to bring someone if you are a minor, but you CAN bring someone if you are an adult. To do so, you have to provide their details/contact details using the form they provide, or else they won't be allowed in.

Oh, I know, I'm French, sorry if I did not make that clear. But thank you anyway, and thank your wife. In the end, it was as she said: I was able to invite my friend along. Expect an impressions report from me some time during the weekend next week.

AntMurda

While we're at it we should probably disregard Pikmin 4 and the new IP from Nintendo.

Pikmin 4 is the 3DS game and nothing more unfortunately. That's a certainty judging by the game director of Pikmin having worked on Super Mario Maker up to September 2015. I'm sure Nintendo will premiere other games, just not this circle jerk Pikmin 4 idea that's being extrapolated from a translated interview years ago.

LordKano

One million dollars. Give me one reason why you think it exists considering the game director has been working on other projects.

Easy : a game director can work on multiple projects, especially when he works on project he's not leading. He was likely just some assistance on Super Mario Maker.

Plus rumors specifically talked about Pikmin 4 for Switch. And Miyamoto's quote made sense in that aspect.

Waji

I don't know if it's the focus of hype here, or the simpsons halucinations but I'm seeing French on this page now...

I thought that sharing hype for Monolith Soft would help me, it's actually making it even more confusing. Longest week of my life...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom