• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

In another news, Nintendo is thinking about buying the Asterix rights for games, right ? =D

...it is probably Hyrule Warriors 2 =P

brad-t

You're just happy because it's a handheld. You're biased towards that and I'm biased towards it being a home console, which they said it will be but it clearly isn't. I've been gaming on Nintendo home consoles since the Famicom and now I feel I'm being pushed out for the sake of handheld gamers. Either buy this portable that can also be used as a home console at a premium price or fuck off to Sony and MS. Seriously fuck this shit.

Guess how many Nintendo home console games you get to play if Nintendo launches another home console, it bombs, and they exit the market?

You're not being forced to do anything. If you don't think the system represents a good value, don't buy it. You can't even make the case that this is legit criticism, you're just ranting because the product isn't the precise format you'd like it to be.

Personally, I'll play the system probably 80% of the time at home on my TV. I don't really like handhelds. But:

1) The huge 720p screen isn't an inconvenience for me personally; playing a game on the go is generally going to require my focus anyway, so I'll take the far more immersive screen instead of pocket-ability. It makes me more likely to actually play it on the go. It will also be WAY better for long trips than anything Nintendo's released to date. (Just bring a charger.)

2) It will be great for bringing it to friends' places, or to the office for after-hours fun. I think this aspect will appeal to a lot of people more than most people here expect. Many of my co-workers seemed very excited about the system and even called out the break-out controllers.

These are people who probably haven't owned a Nintendo console since the N64 or Gamecube, and who don't tend to play video games that much. While I don't think the Switch is going to be a Wii-level kind of success, it has a similar appeal. Only instead of for people who've never played games, it's to people who used to play games but dropped out in their teenage or college years.

The perspective here on NeoGAF can be so narrow sometimes, which is expected from an enthusiast forum, I guess! But almost everyone I know wants this thing. The BOTW E3 showcase, the release of Pokémon GO, the NES Classic, and the Switch reveal all served to build momentum exactly as Nintendo had hoped.

The biggest surprise here is how stellar Nintendo's marketing has been this year. I have high hopes for the presentation.

I really don't think it'll be an issue pre-ordering the system online. I think people are concerned because of the NES Classic, but I can't imagine Nintendo won't deliver enough units to fulfill early pre-orders.

Normally I would agree with you, especially because I don't think we should compare the NES Classic to what we'll see with Switch, but... Due to the popularity of things like the NES Classic, I have no doubt that scalpers will jump all over the Switch. Especially when sites like Amazon don't require any money down to do so.

I'm willing to bet that initial online pre-orders will go quickly, but I can see them offering "waves" of more orders. Especially as scalpers realize they can't get the cash they want for their orders and cancel.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
What I've learned in discussion is that for many people, Nintendo prices for both hard- and software are always too high and they always say they wait for them to drop - and then still find other reasons why they would not getting the system (see Gamecube at 99,- price point with pack-in games in the last 1-2 years or so of its lifecycle). Been like that since forever, even during SNES/N64 times.

For gamers on sites like this it just comes down to the fact that outside of the diehard Nintendo fans, Nintendo hardware is complementary to their main platform(s). Most are doing their gaming on some combination of PS/Xbox/PC and already have a hard time remotely keeping up with all the games that interest them on those platforms.

Nintendo still offers some appeal as they put out great games so some of them are going to appeal to most folks. But it's still hard to justify buying yet another console when you've already got a backlog. Even moreso when their games mostly stay full price when there are a ton of super cheap games you haven't gotten around to buying on the platforms you already own.

Not saying Nintendo can or should do much of anything about it. Just that that's where you get people saying they'd buy at X price and many still not buying after price drops and bundles. There are lots of people with mild interest in Nintendo, including a lot of lapsed fans, who have just moved on to other platforms and have a hard time justifying adding Nintendo hardware to the mix and can't make it their main as they prefer the lineup and graphics etc on the other platforms. Thus they still talk about wanting one if it was cheaper or whatever, but It's just a tough sell if they're only really interested in 5-10 of their games a generation, whilst having a huge list of cheap games they'd like to find time to buy and play on hardware they already own.

Nintendo just isn't getting many of those types to buy in. Their success will primarily come from doing well monetizing their base by having all their games available on one system that hopefully sells around 3DS levels (or better) rather than Wii U levels, maybe bringing in some new/lapsed gamers who get interested via mobile games or whatever and as a complementary console for hardcore gamers who buy and play all platforms.

A lot of people were casting doom and gloom because of the small time frale between this reveal and the release. If done right, as you said, by a 3 months all out rush, it could be a very good strategy. They need to spend all the advertising money they withhold during WiiU lifetime to remain present for these 3 months, and deliver new announcements during this period. A blitzkrieg.

Three months? Has launch been delayed to April?

I am confident (overconfident?) that it wont be too hard to find post-launch (it will sell out day 1, but will soon be in stock). I think the fact it is coming in March, and not the holiday season makes a big difference.

Electroplankton Warriors
Nintendogs Warriors + Cats
Brain Age Warriors: Devilish Button Mashing

You forgot
Professor Layton Warriors
Chibi-Robo Warriors
Rhythm Tengoku Warriors
and
Boxboy Warriors

Actually I want a Pikmin Warriors where you play as a Bulborb and devour hordes of Pikmin.

Platy

So we're all just pretending it won't be Star Fox Warriors or what

image.php

Nairume

Banned
Huh ? OBE1 made a video about a Warriors game ?

I didn't even know. It just make sense that after the huge success of Hyrule Warriors they would make another one.
That's the thing with his "leaks." Aside from RE7 VR, everything else could happen and it still wouldn't be proof that he has inside connections, because its all so predictable.

Dekuboy

Neo Member
$250 USD for the base model pretty much covers those bases.

The Shield costs 200€ and Nvidia doesn´t gain money from Software in contrary to Nintendo. So wouldn´t it be smarter for 199/250max

But I fear it will be 299. I won´t pay more than 250 or I will wait for the price cut, when the right games are out.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why do people always bring Fire Emblem for Musou? It's like this people are only looking shallowly at a musou game.

You know what Fire Emblem didn't have? Exaggerated special OUGI attacks. It also didn't have "one guy that can go through armies" since that's pretty much the opposite of a typical musou theme. Notice how the titles asked for musou tend to have all those "one character sweeping through shit"? I guess people only saw a screenshot of the main musou series and thought "oh military! Fire Emblem!"

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Guess how many Nintendo home console games you get to play if Nintendo launches another home console, it bombs, and they exit the market?

Honestly, they should have just gone with Iwata's family of devices and had a separate console and portable that shared game carts. They both could be priced cheaper and not had to make all the trade offs inherent in having a hybrid.

I guess they're banking on the Switch functionality being a huge selling point and easier to market than having separate devices. Time will tell. I'm not convinced theirs a big market as it takes a fairly hardcore gamer to be into both console and portables as you're talking someone who is obsessed enough with gaming to want game home and away. Where as your average gamer is just playing a few evenings on their big screen (especially in the west) or on their portables on their commute or in bed (especially in Japan).

optimiss

For gamers on sites like this it just comes down to the fact that outside of the diehard Nintendo fans, Nintendo hardware is complementary to their main platform(s). Most are doing their gaming on some combination of PS/Xbox/PC and already have a hard time remotely keeping up with all the games that interest them on those platforms.

This is not true. The are plenty of multiconsole gamers who see Nintendo as their primary machine. I have all the major systems and a gaming PC but definitely play my Nintendo consoles the most. I think a big part of it is that I prefer Japanese games to American and Nintendo generally gets the most/best Japanese games.

Honestly, they should have just gone with Iwata's family of devices and had a separate console and portable that shared game carts. They both could be priced cheaper and not had to make all the trade offs inherent in having a hybrid.

I guess they're banking on the Switch functionality being a huge selling point and easier to market than having separate devices. Time will tell. I'm not convinced theirs a big market as it takes a fairly hardcore gamer to be into both console and portables as you're talking someone who is obsessed enough with gaming to want game home and away. Where as your average gamer is just playing a few evenings on their big screen (especially in the west) or on their portables on their commute or in bed (especially in Japan).

I anxiously await the day that people will stop acting like Iwata specifically detailed this plan. He mentioned 3DS and Wii-U acting like a family of devices, that's it. Anyone who thinks the Switch was meant to be a home console + a portable based on his vague talk is just assuming.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
The Shield costs 200€ and Nvidia doesn´t gain money from Software in contrary to Nintendo. So wouldn´t it be smarter for 199/250max

But I fear it will be 299. I won´t pay more than 250 or I will wait for the price cut, when the right games are out.

does the shield have all the stuff switch brings?

no.

Anth0ny

I'm gonna say $249 w/ paid online, final prediction. LOCKING IT IN.

Joke prediction: They will announce a new Metroid with an incredible trailer, then mumble under their breath that Nintendo Network Premium members will get to enjoy the all new amazing online mode of said Metroid game, AND THEN AN AMAZING 3D MARIO TRAILER TO DISTRACT US ALL WOOOOOW SHINY

brad-t

Designing, manufacturing, and marketing two consoles instead of one is likely unfeasible for Nintendo right now in terms of cost, and would've delayed the whole project by at least another year. And while being a hybrid has compromises it also has distinct advantages.

Finally, it's likely that Nintendo can't manufacture a device smaller than the Switch to run the level of games they want it to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom