• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we have any concrete information as to what is launching alongside the System?

Apologize if this has been beaten to death but I haven't been keeping up with any developments.

I'm gonna say $249 w/ paid online, final prediction. LOCKING IT IN.

Joke prediction: They will announce a new Metroid with an incredible trailer, then mumble under their breath that Nintendo Network Premium members will get to enjoy the all new amazing online mode of said Metroid game, AND THEN AN AMAZING 3D MARIO TRAILER TO DISTRACT US ALL WOOOOOW SHINY

I firmly believe that Nintendo will avoid the whole paid online thing. Unless they plan on adding features comparable to XBL/PSN, they can't really justify it. However, I wouldn't be against a paid Virtual Console service where you get free games every month.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
This is not true. The are plenty of multiconsole gamers who see Nintendo as their primary machine. I have all the major systems and a gaming PC but definitely play my Nintendo consoles the most. I think a big part of it is that I prefer Japanese games to American and Nintendo generally gets the most/best Japanese games.

Then you'd be covered by my mention of Nintendo diehards. A diehard can still be a multi console owner. It just means their loyalty/interest is much stronger for one of the platforms, not that they only care about one--that's a fanboy.

I anxiously await the day that people will stop acting like Iwata specifically detailed this plan. He mentioned 3DS and Wii-U acting like a family of devices, that's it. Anyone who thinks the Switch was meant to be a home console + a portable based on his vague talk is just assuming.

Fair enough. Regardless, I feel that approach would be better than the jack of all trades master or none approach that leads to an oversized portable with cost added from detachable controllers and an underpowered console that presumably won't have a standard controller with d-pad (I assume there's no chance of a pro controller being packed in).

But what do I know. Maybe it will sell great and just end up not being for me and that's fine.

Pastry

Banned
Do we have any concrete information as to what is launching alongside the System?

Apologize if this has been beaten to death but I haven't been keeping up with any developments.

Zelda BoTW in the US and JP, probably Splatoon. That's about it, everything else seems to be up in the air.

Malyse

Why do people always bring Fire Emblem for Musou? It's like this people are only looking shallowly at a musou game.

You know what Fire Emblem didn't have? Exaggerated special OUGI attacks. It also didn't have "one guy that can go through armies" since that's pretty much the opposite of a typical musou theme. Notice how the titles asked for musou tend to have all those "one character sweeping through shit"? I guess people only saw a screenshot of the main musou series and thought "oh military! Fire Emblem!"

What Fire Emblem are you playing? Cause I absolutely have single characters that roll through entire armies.

J@hranimo

Banned
The Shield costs 200€ and Nvidia doesn´t gain money from Software in contrary to Nintendo. So wouldn´t it be smarter for 199/250max

But I fear it will be 299. I won´t pay more than 250 or I will wait for the price cut, when the right games are out.

I would figure that since there is a custom Tegra chip that we know nothing about just yet might bring the cost up. Plus there's some extra tech in the device itself along with the Joy-cons...I still think $250 USD as the base price is happening. If they wanted to sell it at some loss, I feel like they'd aim for $200 USD. We'll see very soon though!

Speely

Banned
I am looking forward to whatever "weird" new IP they are rumored to have in the works. Hope we see something of it at the presentation.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Why do people always bring Fire Emblem for Musou? It's like this people are only looking shallowly at a musou game.

You know what Fire Emblem didn't have? Exaggerated special OUGI attacks. It also didn't have "one guy that can go through armies" since that's pretty much the opposite of a typical musou theme. Notice how the titles asked for musou tend to have all those "one character sweeping through shit"? I guess people only saw a screenshot of the main musou series and thought "oh military! Fire Emblem!"

No one gives a shit if it fits the story, the characters just have to fit the concept. Characters like Lucina, Roy, Marth etc fit just like Link did. Sword and shield types to cut through huge numbers of enemies and generate sales to fans of the characters who normally wouldn't buy a mouso game.

Trevelyan

Banned
I am looking forward to whatever "weird" new IP they are rumored to have in the works. Hope we see something of it at the presentation.

Same. I want something in the vein of Animal Crossing and Splatoon. Something different, and something very Nintendo.

Peltz

Zelda BoTW in the US and JP, probably Splatoon. That's about it, everything else seems to be up in the air.

He's looking for concrete details. Not rumors, as likely as they may be.

The answer is that Nintendo hasn't announced anything yet.

GRW810

I'm definitely going with 250 basic 299 bundled,I'd be surprised if it's any higher
Isn't there a UK website with a price guarantee of sub-£200? Plus there's a rumour Game have gone with a £200 selling price.

At that price I might be able to snap it up day one. Any higher and I'll have to wait a while. Stupid life and responsibilities.

Akhe

source.gif

BF1 on Switch confirmed.
jk

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Agreed. I've mostly had my fill of Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Smash et al.

Splatoon was a breath of fresh air and the lone true high point of Wii U for me. I want to see what else new they're teams, especially the younger talent, can come up with.

I'd also like to see them being back dormant IP rather than just putting out the standard fare as well. A true Metroid, Fzero, Wave Race, Eternal Darkness etc.

Is anyone here using My Nintendo is preparation for the Switch? I'm confident that the Switch launch will bring new rewards to the program, so I've been doing daily missions for quite some time now. Currently sitting at almost 4000 silver coins in hopes that I can use them for SOMETHING on the Switch. Even if it's just VC games. Please Nintendo.

Man I hope not. I've been spoiled by not having to pay for internet for a few years now lol.

Then again, the market obviously shows that they will pay for online multiplayer so they might look into it...

It's kind of a chicken and egg problem. Paid services will allow for more robust online experiences, but no one is going to pay if there aren't more robust online experiences. I'm a huge fanboy but I wouldn't pay for online right now because the only game I play online is Splatoon.

But, then again, Splatoon might be enough. It could be free with a year membership?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Man I hope not. I've been spoiled by not having to pay for internet for a few years now lol.

Then again, the market obviously shows that they will pay for online multiplayer so they might look into it...

I can't see it. Maybe a subscription service for the VC, but paid MP would be a huge mistake IMO. Especially for people already paying for PS+ and/or Gold. Having to pay another subscription to play Splatoon, Smash, MK etc would be another reason for them to just say fuck it and stick with the platforms they have.

That was already a part of my decision to ditch X1 and just get MS games on PC after the play anywhere announcement. I wasn't willing to pay for Gold on top of PS+. PS+ I'll probably let lapse and just buy a month here and there on the rare occasions one of my real life friends wants to play something together (we've all changed to mostly SP stuff as we've gotten older).

J@hranimo said:
If Nintendo has a VR headset, then there is OBVIOUSLY some VR capability with the Switch. Like, come on. They wouldn't make a shell if they knew they couldn't at least test it.
It's hard to NOT be possible; all it takes is a screen and some form of motion detection. It's just a matter of how good or awful it is.
random25 said:
Switch VR isn't happening anytime soon, I think. Not simply because of screen limitations, but because nobody has yet to figure out mainstream VR gaming. Even the pioneers of the technology haven't put out big games that will convince the mass market that VR gaming has arrived. Maybe Nintendo can crack that shell because they do use the technology on their mainstream games, but I don't think they are even pouring a good amount of time and resources on developing VR games at the moment. They really can't afford too much risk at the moment anyway.
It doesn't even have to be a big push; Nintendo isn't averse to some weird accessories. Look at the cheapo headsets one can get for a generic phone for $20 or less. Toss something like that in with a game that makes use of it, and it's the new WarioWare Twisted, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Odama, Link's Crossbow Training.

People think Nintendo will charge for online services?
Why not? Nintendo can do it better than Sony and MS. Extra FEATURES and services can be charged extra for.

Going online to play with friends should be free.
I can't see it. Maybe a subscription service for the VC, but paid MP would be a huge mistake IMO. Especially for people already paying for PS+ and/or Gold. Having to pay another subscription to play Splatoon, Smash, MK etc would be another reason for them to just say fuck it and stick with the platforms they have.
This makes no sense. People will decide what they want to pay for. Sony or MS aren't better than Nintendo. Nintendo can do it much better than them and offer it at a cheaper price.

Lothars

Why not? Nintendo can do it better than Sony and MS. Extra FEATURES and services can be charged extra for.

Going online to play with friends should be free.

This makes no sense. People will decide what they want to pay for. Sony or MS aren't better than Nintendo. Nintendo can do it much better than them and offer it at a cheaper price.
Except there's no proof that they can especially considering historically Nintendo has done a worst job with online multiplayer than anyone else.

keakster

$10 a month for Netflix style access to Virtual Console.

This is the only thing I can see them charging for. No way there is going to be a pay wall to get into online MP for MK or Splatoon

That being said, with the prices they charge for their VC games I still don't believe they will move to a subscription model.

Except there's no proof that they can especially considering historically Nintendo has done a worst job with online multiplayer than anyone else.

I said online multiplayer should always be free. I should never have to pay for playing Uncharted online or Overwatch or Mario Kart.

Hopefully, DeNA will backbone their online, but Nintendo can see what features and extras they would like for an optional paid service, which is what I'm alluding they could do better than Sony and MS.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I'm talking about people who main other platforms and would be considering Switch as a second or third platform. I'm also talking only about paying to play online. I'm totally fine with other paid services as long as online gaming is free.

But to paid online gaming, the people primarily playing on other systems aren't going to stop playing CoD, Uncharted, Halo, FIFA and whatever they love most and cancel those subscriptions.

Nintendo charging is just another barrier for those in that group who are in the fence looking at games they may want to play. "Wait their games stay full price AND I have to pay for another online gaming service?" That could keep a lot of fence sitters on the fence.

Honestly, if Nintendo charges for online gaming I'd take it as a sign that they've decided that mailing their diehards for all their worth is their path to profit and give Switch a hard pass. As a fringe/close to becoming lapsed Nintendo fan, it's already bad enough paying for hardware I always feel is overpriced and underpowered and paying full price for games.

Nairume

Banned
That being said, with the prices they charge for their VC games I still don't believe they will move to a subscription model.
I imagine those vc prices probably stay the same, with them just using the variable pricing they started doing with newer stuff going forward.

Can someone explain to me how Nintendo would do a VC service?

They would still have to keep a regular VC for those who want to purchase VC games.

Then how do they do a subscription because they would have to rotate games into the subscription each month and they can't do too many games at once.

Would they do 10-20 games a month for the subscription and rotate 5 games in and out every month?

Fandangox

What are you talking about lol

Of course that's one of the reasons, you can mold Fire Emblem into Musou so seamlessly that you could probably take any random Fire Emblem game and adapt its story and retell it with the Musou-styled gameplay. Of course doing that would be boring, but that's not my point.

They can even very easily put the "secret chapter" requirements from some FE games into them being unlocked by successfully carrying out the missions/objectives that pop up during a fight in a musou game. You can mold how certain units get recruited this way too, its a very good fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom