• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch doesn't come with Joy-Con charging grip

Hasney

Are we sure about this though? I'm not that well versed in electronics, does a regular phone adapter supply the right amount of voltage? Oms? How does this work exactly? Having to buy yet another proprietary piece of equipment would suck.

A friend of mine who owns a OnePlus couldn't use a charger that came with my Acer phone because it would mess up her touchscreen, making it flicker, and randomly opening every app on the homescreen.

This matter also includes powerbanks by the way, I sure as hell hope they work properly with Switch.

There's manufacturers out there selling non-standard USB-C cables and even some phone manufacturers.This guy at Google names and shames:

https://plus.google.com/collection/s0Inv

spekkeh

Banned
I'm disappointed by many aspects of the Switch's reveal, but I can't see how this is an issue if the battery life really is 20 hours unless you simply forget to dock controllers when you're not using them.

I'm struggling to imagine a scenario where the controllers run out of juice, but if I'm missing something feel free to fill me in.
Yeah I was disappointed initially too, but really you can play three hours a day for six straight days and you only need to remember to dock the joycons into the dock once for the night after that.
The way I see it, that's at least six times better than playing on my PS4, where I need to dock the DS4 for the night every single time I've played three hours.

Someone should start a Switch Mythbusters thread to defuse all of GAFs ""concerns""

Lom1lo

I'm glad you are happy with that solution, but the point still stands.
the only thing they could do is packing in rechargeable batteries. But I can imagine there are many people throwing these away after usage because they dont get it^^

I dont see any reason why nintendo doesnt include a grip with a charging port. They think its redundant because you can stick them on the switch ? And what if you buy another pair of joy cons ?
The only choice you have is to buy a grip for 30€. Thats not okay imo.

Matt

the only thing they could do is packing in rechargeable batteries. But I can imagine there are many people throwing these away after usage because they dont get it^^

I dont see any reason why nintendo doesnt include a grip with a charging port. They think its redundant because you can stick them on the switch ? And what if you buy another pair of joy cons ?
The only choice you have is to buy a grip for 30€. Thats not okay imo.
You don't have to buy anything extra to change the JoyCons, even two pairs (considering how long the battery lasts). You do have to buy something extra to keep the XBO controllers working.

And as you pointed out, MS could have included the Play and Charge Kit with the system, and still allowed you to use your own batteries if you so wish.

MS is being just as "greedy" as Nintendo is in this situation (perhaps technically more so). As you can see, I'm not a fan of either decision.

Lom1lo

You don't have to buy anything extra to change the JoyCons, even two pairs (considering how long the battery lasts). You do have to buy something extra to keep the XBO controllers working.

And as you pointed out, MS could have included the Play and Charge Kit with the system, and still allowed you to use your own batteries if you so wish.

MS is being just as "greedy" as Nintendo is in this situation (perhaps technically more so). As you can see, I'm not a fan of either decision.
God no, have you ever used the play and charge kit ? this is probably the worst shit you can use. It would be bad to include it (for an extra cost). Im surprised no one calls out ms for the quality of the kit.

On the switch: But yeah you are right, its probably not an issue because the joy cons last very long. I think its just strange to include a grip without a charging port, cant be that expensive.

Bragi

Banned
All USB adapters deliver 5V which can be used to charge basically anything that takes USB. I charge all my portable systems (DS Lite, Game Boy Micro, Vita, PSP, 3DS) over USB, it's just a matter of having the right cable.

This is going to work for the Switch as well, but regular 5V power adapters will take quite a long time to charge with because the power delivery is low (500-900mAh depending on the adapter) relative to the large battery in the switch (4300mAh). Native USB-C adapters however support much higher voltages, which is how they can be used to power laptops. This is also how the Switch can charge in 3h which would otherwise be impossible over regular USB. Any quality adapter (Anker for instance) should work for this purpose, though it's probably smart to wait for tests just to be sure.

There's manufacturers out there selling non-standard USB-C cables and even some phone manufacturers.This guy at Google names and shames:

https://plus.google.com/collection/s0Inv

Thanks for the info guys!

Matt

God no, have you ever used the play and charge kit ? this is probably the worst shit you can use. It would be bad to include it (for an extra cost). Im surprised no one calls out ms for the quality of the kit.

On the switch: But yeah you are right, its probably not an issue because the joy cons last very long. I think its just strange to include a grip without a charging port, cant be that expensive.
I use the P&C K. Never really had a problem.

And while the Charge Grip certainly isn't expensive to make, it's absolutely way more expensive (relatively) than the ones that comes with the Switch. That's a difference of no electronics at all vs. the port and charging mechanism.

The_Kid

This is such a non issue. It has a 20 hour battery life.

I honestly feel like GAF is on a witch hunt for every possible thing they can find wrong with this console.

Skronk

Banned

I honestly feel like GAF is on a witch hunt for every possible thing they can find wrong with this console.

I know, GAF has been pretty unusable over the past few days if you're actually looking forward to the switch. So much negativity.

Its an issue if you buy another set of joycons, if they had included the charging grip you could charge one set via tablet/dock and the other via grip. Without the grip youll have to always remember to change the joycons on the tablet, otherwise youll end up in a situation where you want to play local multi and one set is not charged with no way to charge it while playing.

The_Kid

Its an issue if you buy another set of joycons, if they had included the charging grip you could charge one set via tablet/dock and the other via grip. Without the grip youll have to always remember to change the joycons on the tablet, otherwise youll end up in a situation where you want to play local multi and one set is not charged with no way to charge it while playing.

It has 20 hours of use, with 3 hours charge time. I would honestly take that over me having to practically always have my dualshock plugged in because it dies so often. My Wii U Pro controller was a dream with how long it lasted.

Like, it's an issue I guess, but its such a nitpicky thing to latch onto.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
This is just moving the goalpost.

Now the issue is that a standalone set of joy cons does not come with an alternate way to charge them and you have to either share with the joy cons, buy an official charger or buy a cheap third party one.

This is a tiny issue, it's there, but it's off topic and should be discussed in its own separate thread. It illustrates though that the whole premise of this thread is completely fictional and there is no real life situation where you need other means of charging the Switch's bundled controllers and no one needs to buy anything extra for the console to be fully functional.

The Switch have issues (mainly price and apparently lack of games), and this is definitely not one of them.

Despera

Banned
Don't see that as much of an inconvenience. Nothing to be upset about.

Personally I always buy accessories to make the best out of a console experience, and this should be no different.

I mean for the PS4 I have 2 controllers and a charging bay just for the sole purpose of not running out of a charge while playing, because PS4 controllers tend to do that often.

ugly

Has it been answered whether you'd need to buy one separately to play the milk game on 12switch? Cuz... Damn

It has 20 hours of use, with 3 hours charge time. I would honestly take that over me having to practically always have my dualshock plugged in because it dies so often. My Wii U Pro controller was a dream with how long it lasted.

Like, it's an issue I guess, but its such a nitpicky thing to latch onto.
This is just moving the goalpost.

Now the issue is that a standalone set of joy cons does not come with an alternate way to charge them and you have to either share with the joy cons, buy an official charger or buy a cheap third party one.

This is a tiny issue, it's there, but it's off topic and should be discussed in its own separate thread. It illustrates though that the whole premise of this thread is completely fictional and there is no real life situation where you need other means of charging the Switch's bundled controllers and no one needs to buy anything extra for the console to be fully functional.

The Switch have issues (mainly price and apparently lack of games), and this is definitely not one of them.
Not my thread, so no moving the goalposts since I said its not issue for me with just one set of joycons. I wouldn't have a problem with a 2nd Set basically requiring the charge grip if it weren't for the price of 110 EUR for the package.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
At first I thought it's an issue, but then I realised that I will anyhow buy 2 additional joycons for MP (and because I like the neon colours for separated joycons but I like the Switch in handheld mode with grey ones not looking like a clown), That means that buying a charging grip will make me have also 2 "pro" controllers (joycons + grip). And 2 joycons can charge with the tablet and 2 with the charging grip.

Yes, it's damn expensive (330 + 70 + 30 = 430 euro for the full package without any game) but that should cover any possible local MP config.

The only question now remains if I wait for Splatoon for all this.

The included joycon grip should have the ability to charge the joycons. Saying that, I can't imagine this actually affecting anything in a real world sense. Don't be lazy and just hook them up to the console every week/couple days...

Cleve

The included joycon grip should have the ability to charge the joycons. Saying that, I can't imagine this actually affecting anything in a real world sense. Don't be lazy and just hook them up to the console every week/couple days...

It definitely sucks if you intend to have two sets charging. It just means another expensive accessory you need to buy.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It definitely sucks if you intend to have two sets charging. It just means another expensive accessory you need to buy.
It's more convenient, but if you want to save $30 you could also recharge the other pair while you sleep, on the original dock, couldn't you?

mrback

dont know if this has been answered or not but if I am using the switch in handheld mode & have the power cable plugged into it will this charge the joycons as well???

Bragi

Banned
dont know if this has been answered or not but if I am using the switch in handheld mode & have the power cable plugged into it will this charge the joycons as well???

Yes, confirmed on Treehouse live. Joycons feed on the Switch's battery keeping them charged at all times.

mrback

Yes, confirmed on Treehouse live. Joycons feed on the Switch's battery keeping them charged at all times.

ah, cool. was gonna buy the charging grip but I dont think I need tbh. will maybe get one of the 3rd party charging stands if I get an extra set of joycons.

Wace

If joycons have 20h live time can't they share juice with Switch in portable mode? I would prefer to have 10h on joycons if that extends console battery time by an hour.

azyless

Sorry if it's a stupid question that's been asked before but does it actually charge them or does it just keep them from dying on you ?
Like, if they die on me and I put them on the Switch and play in handheld mode, are they gonna stay at 1% charge or will they be at 50% or whatever after 2 hours ? I doubt that would be it but I keep seeing the word "charge" and it's throwing me off.

Wace

Sorry if it's a stupid question that's been asked before but does it actually charge them or does it just keep them from dying on you ?
Like, if they die on me and I put them on the Switch and play in handheld mode, are they gonna stay at 1% charge or will they be at 50% or whatever after 2 hours ?

If Switch is connected to the power source - they'll charge. As for battery mode... I wonder about that as well. Would be rather stupid if Switch would kill its' own lifetime by charging joycons.

RatCupcake

Neo Member
Don't see that as much of an inconvenience. Nothing to be upset about.

Personally I always buy accessories to make the best out of a console experience, and this should be no different.

I mean for the PS4 I have 2 controllers and a charging bay just for the sole purpose of not running out of a charge while playing, because PS4 controllers tend to do that often.

This is a good way to look at it, although those that don't want to pay for the PS4 charging bay can still play with the PS4 controllers plugged in. As far as I'm aware, you can't use the JoyCons while they are charging.

I remember when people were going after MS and Sony for controller prices this gen. Those things seem like a bargain compared to the nickel-and-diming followed by highway robbery that is the Switch peripherals.

marc^o^

This is a good way to look at it, although those that don't want to pay for the PS4 charging bay can still play with the PS4 controllers plugged in. As far as I'm aware, you can't use the JoyCons while they are charging.
You can play, in handeld mode, while recharging with a usb c cable. And you don't have 4 hours of battery in these controllers, nor 7 as in my Vive controllers (that I can't either recharge while playing)(I haven't seen any outrage about that!). You have 20 hours, about a normal week of gaming, before thinking you should perhaps recharge it while sleeping.

From the other duplicate thread:

Yurinka said:
When you finish playing the console is switched off, so won't charge them.

Or did they announce a PS4-like sleep mode where it charges the controllers and download games?

The controllers should charge when the system is docked and thus charging from the mains like any handheld device does, similar to how a Surface Book, when switched off, will charge both the battery in the base and the battery in the upper half without needing to be switched on.

j-wood

Wait, so how the hell do I charge these controllers then, if the included grip doesn't include a USB port to charge?

Do i have to plug in each joy con? So I need to make sure I have 2 USB-USBc cables on launch?

Wait, so how the hell do I charge these controllers then, if the included grip doesn't include a USB port to charge?

Do i have to plug in each joy con? So I need to make sure I have 2 USB-USBc cables on launch?

Should be easy, here are the situations:

1) You play your Switch in handheld mode, or tabletop mode. You return it to the dock, or plug it in with a USB-C cable or USB-C AC Adapter, to charge it. The Joy-Con also charge.

2) You play your Switch docked in console mode too, but when you're done you reattach the Joy-Con to the sides. They start charging during downtime

3) You exclusively play your Switch in console mode and you leave the Joy-Con attached to the included Dog Controller so they never return to the dock to be charged.

A grip that also does charging is only useful in scenario 3). Their 20 hour battery life makes situations 1) and 2) likely to happen at least once when using the system due to its 2.5-6.5 hour battery life. You're literally paying for minor convenience of not having to reattach the Joy-Con to the Switch itself.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
From the other duplicate thread:

The controllers should charge when the system is docked and thus charging from the mains like any handheld device does, similar to how a Surface Book, when switched off, will charge both the battery in the base and the battery in the upper half without needing to be switched on.

Yep. Also will charge them if the tablet is plugged it o a USB charger if you want to charge it that way next to your bed or wherever and leave the dock in the other room at a tv.

j-wood

Should be easy, here are the situations:

1) You play your Switch in handheld mode, or tabletop mode. You return it to the dock, or plug it in with a USB-C cable or USB-C AC Adapter, to charge it. The Joy-Con also charge.

2) You play your Switch docked in console mode too, but when you're done you reattach the Joy-Con to the sides. They start charging during downtime

3) You exclusively play your Switch in console mode and you leave the Joy-Con attached to the included Dog Controller so they never return to the dock to be charged.

A grip that also does charging is only useful in scenario 3). Their 20 hour battery life makes situations 1) and 2) likely to happen at least once when using the system due to its 2.5-6.5 hour battery life. You're literally paying for minor convenience of not having to reattach the Joy-Con to the Switch itself.

Ok that makes sense.

The_Lump

Banned
Copying my reply over from the other thread, which was just closed.

It lasts 20hours out of the box, which is far more than any of it's competitors. And none of them offer official 'play and charge' solutions without spending extra cash in some form whether that's $10+ for a decent length official USB cable from Sony or a $25 'Play-and-Charge' kit for Xbox One).

XB and PS have 3rd party options which are of course cheaper, and Switch will too - when it's actually released.

So this is a none-issue.

If the joy-con grip is sufficient how come I can not buy one on it's own? The $30 product is the joy-con charging grip which many think the included joy-con grip should be and "spouting 20 hours non issue. first world problems. sad." isn't convincing anyone otherwise.

The misinformation is off the charts because people don't want to see a Nintendo resurgence on this forum
How is the OP misinformed? It is from official sources.

Has it been answered whether you'd need to buy one separately to play the milk game on 12switch? Cuz... Damn
You have to buy the 1,2, Switch game (which at the prices I've seen it at, Reggie's comments about it being akin to Wii Play and the content on offer is really milking things) but I was under the impression it was a two player game and each player holds a single joy-con in their hands not attached to any grip so everything that comes with the console will be enough?

The Jutty

Copying my reply over from the other thread, which was just closed.

It lasts 20hours out of the box, which is far more than any of it's competitors. And none of them offer official 'play and charge' solutions without spending extra cash in some form whether that's $10+ for a decent length official USB cable from Sony or a $25 'Play-and-Charge' kit for Xbox One).

XB and PS have 3rd party options which are of course cheaper, and Switch will too - when it's actually released.

So this is a none-issue.

Like in the other thread. I agree completely along with the fact that the Pro controller will charge with USB too. If you can find it to order it anywhere that is haha.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Like in the other thread. I agree completely a long with the fact that the Pro controller will charge with USB too. If you can find it to order it anywhere that is haha.

Yep. As I said over there that's my biggest worry--that the lack of a pro controller preorders means it will be hard to find for a while.

I really want one day one so I can just leave the joy cons on the docked tablet and the pro controller in the basket next to my gaming recliner with my other controllers.

I absolutely understand the concern here, but I don't think this will be a problem for the vast majority of people. The stated battery life for the joycons sits at about 20 hours. Outside of an outright gaming marathon, I'm sure Nintendo knows enough people won't use the joycons for that long without re-attaching them.

That being said, Nintendo certainly made this a problem for some by not being upfront about it. Rumors from "leakers" ahead of time certainly didn't help their cause, as none predicted there being two models of the Grip. Both enthusiasts and Nintendo were the victims of misinformation here, but I don't think this will be a major concern in the long run.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Not my thread, so no moving the goalposts since I said its not issue for me with just one set of joycons. I wouldn't have a problem with a 2nd Set basically requiring the charge grip if it weren't for the price of 110 EUR for the package.
Again, you don't have to get the official charging grip, just but a third party, cheaper charging station or grip. Official has exactly 0 benefits over third party in this case.

It's a minor flaw with the stand alone joy cons, it's not a flaw with the packed joy cons.

I absolutely understand the concern here, but I don't think this will be a problem for the vast majority of people. The stated battery life for the joycons sits at about 20 hours. Outside of an outright gaming marathon, I'm sure Nintendo knows enough people won't use the joycons for that long without re-attaching them.

That being said, Nintendo certainly made this a problem for some by not being upfront about it. Rumors from "leakers" ahead of time certainly didn't help their cause, as none predicted there being two models of the Grip.

Yeah, as a practical matter I think it doesn't matter much at all. But it speaks to the frustrating need to go over Nintendo's announcements and releases with a fine tooth comb because you can't really take anything as a given, or just assume small (and some not-so-small) conveniences will be accounted for.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Again, you don't have to get the official charging grip, just but a third party, cheaper charging station or grip. Official has exactly 0 benefits over third party in this case.

It's a minor flaw with the stand alone joy cons, it's not a flaw with the packed joy cons.

There's currently not a third party charging grip that will allow charging while playing on tv. Just a charger dock that can charge up to 4 joy cons at a time.

So that may not be an option at launch. I'm guessing any that come out won't be officially licensed ones for those that care about that as well, as Nintendo will want people to buy their version and just licenses things they don't want to make themselves like the 4 joycons dock.

Septic360

Banned
Yeah lets shit on ms for offering the best solution. I happily pay 8 € for 4 eneloops and can play without having to charge my controller ever.

ABSOLUTELY THIS.

I am using rechargeable batteries for the X1 from AGES ago. That shit lasts for TIME.

Battery low? Swap it for another set that last for a week+ easy.

I FAR prefer it to the DS4 which has an atrocious battery life imo and forces me to be tethered to the console (or in my case, my phone charger).

Give me batteries ALL DAY ERRY DAY!

As for this- this is such a bloody farce. The more details I hear about the Switch, the more I'm inclined to sell my Switch

marc^o^

ABSOLUTELY THIS.

I am using rechargeable batteries for the X1 from AGES ago. That shit lasts for TIME.

I FAR prefer it to the DS4 which has an atrocious battery life imo and forces me to be tethered to the console (or in my case, my phone charger).

As for this- this is such a bloody farce. The more details I hear about the Switch, the more I'm inclined to sell my Switch
Swapping rechargeable batteries is a bloody farce to me, but I wouldn't go in an Xbox thread to tell you about it.

Alexlf

ABSOLUTELY THIS.

This is one of the wrongest opinions I have ever heard. Batteries you need to remove are a plague.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I prefer swapping Eneloops as well. Just nicer to never have to hassle with playing while plugged into a charger cable and tnismlosing the benefit of having a wireless cintroller. And unlike a lot of GAF I do a lot of gaming p, including marathon sessions, so I'm constantly killing DS4s and having to plug in as well as swapping AAs on my Xbox Elitle pad I use on PC.

Joycons aren't that bad if the battery life is 20 hours, but I will still get a pro controller as I think I read that gets 40 hours and I'd rather not hassle with moving joyncins between grip and docked tablet.

This is one of the wrongest opinions I have ever heard. Batteries you need to remove are a plague.

I wonder if this is a generational thing. I'm 38 and obviously grew up with batteries. So long lasting rechargeables like Enelopps were a godsend when they came about.

Conversely all the damn gadgets worn internal batteries, different charging cords etc that I'm juggling now are one of my biggest pet peeves in daily life.

Top Bottom