• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch doesn't come with Joy-Con charging grip

This is going to be the Wii U tablet controller situation all over again. I mean, we're dedicated enthusiasts and there's still a lot of confusion. Imagine the average parent going into a store to buy this. They'll be immediately confused as to what does what with what, how much battery life you are allowed with the various methods of playing, then see that they need another $50 - $100 of accessories, and they'll just say fuck it and opt to get their kid an ipad or similar tablet device or some shit.

Japanese website:
Optional charger shows charging port.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/switch/accessories/

One coming with the console, lacking charging port.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/switch/specs/index.html#5

-So what you're saying is that the included joycon grip is basically just a piece of plastic that holds them, and they must be removed and attached to the console for charging.
-And the optional purchase grip includes a USB port so that you can plug the whole thing in like you would charge a PS4 or XB1 controller, no need to remove them from the grip.

For the love of god, how hard would it be to just include a basic usb charger in the regular grip? That's really fucking cheap. As someone who would likely use the console consistently at home in docked configuration, that's a bitch. To get the basic functionality of a competitor's controller you have to spend more money.

$30 for a goddamn charger.

Haines

Banned
This is going to be the Wii U tablet controller situation all over again. I mean, we're dedicated enthusiasts and there's still a lot of confusion. Imagine the average parent going into a store to buy this. They'll be immediately confused as to what does what with what, how much battery life you are allowed with the various methods of playing, then see that they need another $50 - $100 of accessories, and they'll just say fuck it and opt to get their kid an ipad or similar tablet device or some shit.

Or neogaf just nitpicks every single thing bc were enthusiasts.

People will buy the box with the console. Go home and play with it.

Outside of the school of thought on here, it is playable out of the box, lol

AGoodODST

Hey sorry if this has been stated but if the grip that comes packed in can't be charged what the port looking bit in the bottom for? You can see it on the Treehouse stream when they are going through all the stuff.

Sorry not got like tire and sorry if I just miseen and it's nothing.

Treehouse stream showed the Charging Grip.

Ah right. Thanks.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Hey sorry if this has been stated but if the grip that comes packed in can't be charged what the port looking bit in the bottom for? You can see it on the Treehouse stream when they are going through all the stuff.

Sorry not got like tire and sorry if I just miseen and it's nothing.
Treehouse stream showed the Charging Grip.

Bragi

Banned
I have second question that comes out of this. So what if I have my Switch dock set up next to my TV and decide to play handheld mode, and after a while the Switch dies on me. So I want to charge it while continuing to play.

Do I need to unplug the AC adapter from the dock to charge the Switch in handheld mode while playing? Can we buy second AC adapters? What gives?

diaspora

-So what you're saying is that the included joycon grip is basically just a piece of plastic that holds them, and they must be removed and attached to the console for charging.
-And the optional purchase grip includes a USB port so that you can plug the whole thing in like you would charge a PS4 or XB1 controller, no need to remove them from the grip.

For the love of god, how hard would it be to just include a basic usb charger in the regular grip? That's really fucking cheap. As someone who would likely use the console consistently at home in docked configuration, that's a bitch. To get the basic functionality of a competitor's controller you have to spend more money.

$30 for a goddamn charger. People like to joke about Arrogant Sony but I think Nintendo wants the title more.
Nothing has topped Sony releasing an abject piece of shit for $600USD though some have come close.

So if you're playing the console and the batteries run out of the controllers, you need to plug them into the dock in a fixed position? How do you play the game at that point?

Does the console come with 2 pairs of controllers?

xxracerxx

So if you're playing the console and the batteries run out of the controllers, you need to plug them into the dock in a fixed position? How do you play the game at that point?

Does the console come with 2 pairs of controllers?
You don't and no.

That being said, the battery life on them is supposed to be around 20 hours.

Bendo

Do I need to unplug the AC adapter from the dock to charge the Switch in handheld mode while playing? Can we buy second AC adapters? What gives?
It's standard USB, so any USB-C adapter should work fine. Regular USB-A adapters should work as well if they support quick charge.

odhiex

If the "standard" grip being pack-in has no charging functionality, then I think it is intentional.

Nintendo trying to cut costs to meet the $299 price. I think they are selling the Switch at a little loss at launch.

Btw, this is shit. I am going to wait for the charging grip pack-in. I don't need a plastic holder.

Toki767

I don't see a problem with this if the battery life is indeed 20 hours.

No one plays that long and most people can simply to remember to dock when done.

Having to remove the Joycon from the grip and dock them to the tablet, and then remove them from the tablet and dock them from the grip sounds like such a hassle.

Having to remove the Joycon from the grip and dock them to the tablet, and then remove them from the tablet and dock them from the grip sounds like such a hassle.

On Xbox One you have to deal with double A batteries or buy a separate play and charge kit

On PS4 you either have to Buy a dock or charge slowly on the front facing USB ports. With multiple PS4 controllerz buying a 3rd party dock is mandatory.

On the Switch you have 20 hours of game time per Joycon which combined is 40 hours. In order to charge you have to slide the Joycons into the tablet.

Like with 40 hours of game time are you really gonna complain about sliding in an object to a dock? It's no more complicated than docking a Dualshock 4 into a 3rd party dock.

xxracerxx

On Xbox One you have to deal with double A batteries or buy a separate play and charge kit

On PS4 you either have to Buy a dock or charge slowly on the front facing USB ports. With multiple PS4 controllerz buying a 3rd party dock is mandatory.

On the Switch you have 20 hours of game time per Joycon which combined is 40 hours. In order to charge you have to slide the Joycons into the tablet.

Like with 40 hours of game time are you really gonna complain about sliding in an object to a dock? It's no more complicated than docking a Dualshock 4 into a 3rd party dock.
Haha at doubling the life of the Joy-Con because each has 20 hours of life. Come on. The battery life is great but you are not getting 40 hours out of them.

Some people just like to plug their controllers in near where they sit and would like the Switch to have that piece included in the package.

Zekes!

I mean that's lame but for me it's a non-issue...

If I'm just using it at home then I have to slide them onto the Switch every 20 hours of play? That's easy to do before I go to bed

PSFan

The PS3 was a piece of shit?? That $600 configuration was expensive, sure...but that system was far from a POS.

Agreed. The PS3 was an awesome console, the high price was literally the only thing that hurt it. And it sold for higher on ebay even.

Maximus.

Nothing has topped Sony releasing an abject piece of shit for $600USD though some have come close.

Ok, first of all no the PS3 wasn't a piece of shit. Yes the price was fucking high, the initial line up was not the best, the system was initially hard to develop for, but over time the system did wonders and caught up to the 360 and had a wonderful gaming line up.

I mean that's lame but for me it's a non-issue...

If I'm just using it at home then I have to slide them onto the Switch every 20 hours of play? That's easy to do before I go to bed

Actually it's 40 hours. When the Joycons go into the comfort grip lights go off on the grip syncing them together.

RootCause

$30 for a goddamn charger.
People calling it vita 2 arent kidding. :p
I kid I kid

I preordered the charge grip, and the neon cons.
Might change my mind as we get closer to release date.

GamerJM

Banned
Eh I'll just deal with this. Even if I theoretically play ALL DAY, as long as I dock the thing back up at the end of the day it'll have full charge when I wake up again.

jviggy43

If i recall correctly, the confusion was a big part of the wii U at launch as well for the casual consumer.

Bendo

Oh my sweet summer child. The Switch doesn't support quick charge.

You can't charge a 4300mAh battery in 3 hours over USB without quick charge.

Regarding the "Switch doesn't do quick charging" claim, let's first do some basic maths. A 4310 mAh battery, assuming a standard 3.7V, comes to 15.95 Wh. For that battery to charge from 0 to 100% in 3 hours, then at an absolute minimum, it would have to be charging at a rate of 15.95/3 = 5.3W. Standard USB 2 provides 2.5W of power, so it's physically impossible for Switch to charge so quickly without some form of "quick charging".

AU Tiger

I assume 3rd party companies like energizer will have some slick and reasonable priced charging accessories. I love the energizer dock for my wii u game pad and 2 wii motes.

ar4757

Specs says to dock the JoyCons to the console or the JoyCon charging grip to charge them. The console comes with the dock and an AC adapter, so the JoyCons are charged in addition to the console when plugged in.

Specs say roughly 20 hour battery life on JoyCons, roughly 3.5 hours to charge.

20 hours means this is a non-issue. I know gaf is hardcore but unless people are playing nonstop for 20 hours in TV mode this is not a problem. Just dock the joycons after gaming.

ar4757

Some of the replies defending this are borderline Stockholm syndromish...

Defend 3 hour Dualshock 4 battery life. It's awful. I enjoy my ps4 but it's irritating. 20 hours, even if that's super generous and it's 15 hours, makes this "problem" irrelevant entirely.

Mandelbo

If the battery life for the joycons wasn't 20 hours I'd see where the anger's coming from, but as it is I just can't see why this is an issue. 20 hours is beyond adequate for battery life. It's not like the gamepad where the battery was miserable and ran out in a couple of hours.

That'll take literally no more than five seconds or so. If you put them on the console before you go to sleep then remove them after, how does that make it any different to charging any other device?

bobeth

Defend 3 hour Dualshock 4 battery life. It's awful. I enjoy my ps4 but it's irritating. 20 hours, even if that's super generous and it's 15 hours, makes this "problem" irrelevant entirely.

Micro USB cable. Boom.

Also, 3 hours, really? You just prove my point..

PSFan

I usually play my PS4 with the DS4 plugged into the console. So it's not really a problem for me.

You don't have to buy a dock, I don't even know anyone who has a DS4 dock. It uses standard micro-usb, you can just plug it into your cell phone charger.

thenameDS

£27.99 for the privilege of having a USB port on the grip, smh. I will buy a charge station instead, because I will have to get another set of joy-cons for the girlfriend. Adding the accessories to my basket and looking at the price seriously makes me question my purchasing decision, luckily with Amazon I have until 1st March to decide if I go forward with this.

xxracerxx

If the battery life for the joycons wasn't 20 hours I'd see where the anger's coming from, but as it is I just can't see why this is an issue. 20 hours is beyond adequate for battery life. It's not like the gamepad where the battery was miserable and ran out in a couple of hours.

It is just a dumb move to not include the charging grip with the system, when the only difference between the one included and the charging grip is a USB port.

Malakai

Or neogaf just nitpicks every single thing bc were enthusiasts.

People will buy the box with the console. Go home and play with it.

Outside of the school of thought on here, it is playable out of the box, lol

Not if it is a parent buying it for there children to play? Or someone that is buying it for local multiplayer. That is one of Nintendo biggest strength and is being muddled with a nickel and dime scheme.

Top Bottom