• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch doesn't come with Joy-Con charging grip

If the joy con battery lasts 20 hours, and you have to sleep, I'm not sure why people think this needed to be included with the system.

When are you going to need to charge your joy-con, before you need to charge your system? I guess there are some specific situations...but it's definitely not a huge deal.

This is the 90€ dock :
nintendo_switch_dock_back_960.png

The only thing "helping to play it on TV" is a USB to HDMI cable.

Sudden thought:

If that's all there is in the dock, and the AC adapter being plugged in activates the fans and TV mode, does that potentially mean when you're charging the Switch in portable mode and playing it as a handheld, it could be getting actively cooled with the fan and running at a higher clock speed?

Because that might explain why Breath of the Wild is reportedly running better in portable mode at these press events, since they're all plugged in and receiving power constantly, it'd be getting the extra welly but still only needing to render 720p visuals.

Malakai

It is just a dumb move to not include the charging grip with the system.

I can't image Nintendo is even saving much money with by not including the charging grip. It had to cost them money to make a unnecessary product. Are they hurting for profits that much in order for them to put the non-charging grip in the box just to upsell the charging grip?

Jedi2016

I'm assuming that they can charge from the docked unit while it's off?

That's how I handle my PS4 controllers, if I see they're running low when I quit a game, I'll plug it in while the unit's in Rest mode, so they're fully charged the next time I turn the system on.

Mandelbo

It is just a dumb move to not include the charging grip with the system.

I get the sentiment but I just don't see why you'd need it in the first place, outside of a scenario like this:

£27.99 for the privilege of having a USB port on the grip, smh. I will buy a charge station instead, because I will have to get another set of joy-cons for the girlfriend. Adding the accessories to my basket and looking at the price seriously makes me question my purchasing decision, luckily with Amazon I have until 1st March to decide if I go forward with this.

Not being able to charge two sets of joycons simultaneously without buying a separate charging dock is dumb, but for many people here that's not the type of situation they seem to be concerned about.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
No it isn't. It's a niche accessory for a select few who can't come to grasp actually separating to Joycons.

People just appreciate convenience. Also, you do get you do not get 40 hours out of the controllers when using them together, right?

If the joy con battery lasts 20 hours, and you have to sleep, I'm not sure why people think this needed to be included with the system.

When are you going to need to charge your joy-con, before you need to charge your system? I guess there are some specific situations...but it's definitely not a huge deal.

It isn't a huge deal, you are right. But the reason this thread exists is because the messaging was terrible and people thought the charging grip was included in the box.

I can't image Nintendo is even saving much money with by not including the charging grip. It had to cost them money to make a unnecessary product. Are they hurting for profits that much in order for them to put the non-charging grip in the box just to upsell the charging grip?

Save money where they can I guess, just a really odd choice.

azyless

A USB port on a controller is now a "niche accessory" lol.
It costs them pretty much nothing to include it on the basic accessory, not doing it and charging 30€ for it is madness no matter how much anyone wants to spin it.

Sudden thought:

If that's all there is in the dock, and the AC adapter being plugged in activates the fans and TV mode, does that potentially mean when you're charging the Switch in portable mode and playing it as a handheld, it could be getting actively cooled with the fan and running at a higher clock speed?

Because that might explain why Breath of the Wild is reportedly running better in portable mode at these press events, since they're all plugged in and receiving power constantly, it'd be getting the extra welly but still only needing to render 720p visuals.

They weren't plugged in. People were taking the Switches from the docs on the fly when they played.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
What is stopping third parties to release their own joy con grips?

Since it's just a piece of plastic, you can buy any of the shit tier third party accessories (dreamgear, Njoy Tech, etc) for $5 and it'll work great. Probably Nyko and Madkats will release their own with an included battery too, cheaper than the official one.

If the battery life of the joy con is 20 hours, this is a non issue.

Maffis

if the battery time is 20 hours then there's no problem. i could play a week without charging like that. just put the controllers on the stand when you sleep.

i can see however the inconvenience when forgetting to charge them.

It costs them pretty much nothing to include it on the basic accessory, not doing it and charging 30€ for it is madness no matter how much anyone wants to spin it.

It charges out of the box without having to dig through a dusty ball of USB cords. It is fine. You won't be playing long enough to care. If you do buy one...

xxracerxx

Non issue. Seriously.

What is stopping third parties to release their own joy con grips?

Since it's just a piece of plastic, you can buy any of the shit tier third party accessories (dreamgear, Njoy Tech, etc) for $5 and it'll work great. Probably Nyko and Madkats will release their own with an included battery too, cheaper than the official one.

If the battery life of the joy con is 20 hours, this is a non issue.

if the battery time is 20 hours then there's no problem. i could play a week without charging like that. just put the controllers on the stand when you sleep.

i can see however the inconvenience when forgetting to charge them.

Once again,

It isn't a huge deal, you are right. But the reason this thread exists is because the messaging was terrible and people thought the charging grip was included in the box.

So to be absolutely clear, to put it in terms of my current consoles, if I bought the standard pack and I use this as a console, I sit down to play one day, my controllers aren't charged, I cannot play it as a console. I could undock and play that way while they charged but that would be the only option?

xxracerxx

Those shifting goalposts. No the website is pretty clear which grip is which. No miscommunication there.
Read the thread buster, or better yet read the other few threads on the exact same topic and tell me there was no confusion.

I mean you yourself are confused over how much battery life you can get while using both Joy-Cons together.

azyless

So to be absolutely clear, to put it in terms of my current consoles, if I bought the standard pack and I use this as a console, I sit down to play one day, my controllers aren't charged, I cannot play it as a console. I could undock and play that way while they charged but that would be the only option?
Any other option, no matter how cheap it is to produce, is apparently "niche" now, despite being the way all controllers have worked for 10 years. So yes. (that's if we even have confirmation that the unplugged Switch does power the Joycons)

Crayon

Am I the only one who plans on playing without the grip split style? Nunchuck comfort was the best thing about the Wii controller.

bobeth

Yes. But it's a nonissue, so don't you worry..

I really wonder what the margins are on this if they're having to cut wires out of the packed in grip...but that just leaves the broad question of the high prices on the controllers in general...

I think Nintendo learned their lesson with Wii U. The gamepad itself was a margin killer for a long time.

Any other option, no matter how cheap it is to produce, is apparently "niche" now, despite being the way all controllers have worked for 10 years. So yes. (that's if we even have confirmation that the unplugged Switch does power the Joycons)

So it would be a non issue provided I re attached the joy cons from the grip to the switch after each use...which doesn't exactly feel convenient. Ffs, the wii u, a pro controller has no battery when I sit down to play, I plug it in and play. I feel the niche way kind of worked...

To me, it sucks because I plan on buying a second set of joycons. How am-I going to charge them? I'll have to buy that 30$ thing on top of the 80$ set, that's how.

I really wonder what the margins are on this if they're having to cut wires out of the packed in grip...but that just leaves the broad question of the high prices on the controllers in general.

This is the same Nintendo that recently didn't include AC adapters in most regions* and has not included video cables on occasion.

*-Heck if you go back to 1986 the Famicom disk system came with an RF extension cord but not an AC adapter. Yeah FDS can run off six C-cell batteries...

Unless the tech components in the tablet and joycons themselves are super expensive (and I don't know how that's really possible since they aren't state of the art tech by any means) Nintendo is going for high high profits and a large margin for pricing down in case demand drops off a cliff.

Things like the docking base and stuff are no more than a dollar or two for Foxconn to manufacture. Those plastic add ons like the handle to make two joycons into a more traditional controller, literally pennies.

There certainly will be some hidden cost if you want the full Switch experience.

Mini memory card - likely will need it
Charge adapter - yep for those portable times
Case - for carts and such
Pro Controller - nice to have.. maybe 2?

All this back patting over a simple docking mechanism. 3rd parties will cover any niche charging solutions. Hori already has a charging dock that holds 4 Joycons so 6 players for 3 sets 1 charging in the main unit and two in the dock if you are popular.

It's just as convenient as any other controller to charge. Maybe even easier given I don't have to worry about losing a cable. Especially given I have zero devices that use type C atm.

Cuburt

There certainly will be some hidden cost if you want the full Switch experience.

Mini memory card - likely will need it
Charge adapter - yep for those portable times
Case - for carts and such
Pro Controller - nice to have.. maybe 2?
None of those are mandatory to play, like the Vita memory cards.

What other memory options are there for a portable device? HDD? At least you can choose what size is right for you based on how much you game and whether you go digital or not, and we aren't chained to a proprietary format.

Everything else is completely optional.

Nothing has topped Sony releasing an abject piece of shit for $600USD though some have come close.

A blu ray player and with PS2 BC that even had the option for other os. Cheap it wasn't, but piece of shit?

Please.

If that's a piece of shit I can't even imagine what the switch is, missing so many basic features.

EDIT: Nevermind, after reading past posts it would be useless to even continue this.

Full damage control (and I bet some smartass will try to spin the earlier part of my post as that).

Harmen

Despite there being a charging option and the controllers having a (very!) admirable battery life, there will be times they run out of juice for the average consumer and that is when those people can't play on their tv. Not a huge deal, but it is inconvenient and a bit silly.

GobFather

Despite there being a charging option and the controllers having a (very!) admirable battery life, there will be times they run out of juice for the average consumer and that is when those people can't play on their tv. Not a huge deal, but it is inconvenient and a bit silly.

This. I'm tried of seeing "non issue". "Make a habit" now it's even "it's a better option". The only saving grace for this argument is the "20 hours of usage" but even then life is never perfect. There are times, you have drained the battery by either forgetting to recharge ... maybe ONE person doesn't sit for 20 hour but if it's forgotten to charge by multiple factors such as significant other, kids, family memeber playing with it and not charging or any other possible scenario where the battery could be drained. Not a huge deal but the point is.. it could happen and it's inconvenient.

Many avg customers might not even realize it and think controllers are charged when they dock it and find out later after "multiple usages". It doesn't even have to be one sitting. It can even be, hey I lost my controller for a day and now that I found it again, I can't play while it's charged. Again not a huge deal but these scenarios can happen and they will become a burden "enough" that I can vision Nintendo having to include the charging set in their future console.

cripterion

This is coming from the people who didn't even bother to put an AC adapter with their last portable gaming system so can't say I'm surprised lol.

It's not damage control Lmao. 20 hours is more than enough. The Duals hock falls apart in 3 hours and people are like, So? I just have it plugged in all the time!

Then it's not wireless. 20 hours is fine. It's honestly a niche issue that isn't even thread worthy.

Cuburt

But the actual console will have to be charged at least 3 times in portable mode in the amount of playtime it takes to drain a joycon once.

If someone can't think to either dock the controllers to the Switch to recharge while it is charging, or play with the controllers attached while playing/charging on the go, they have more issues than lacking another option to charge.

Wuiji

If the "standard" grip being pack-in has no charging functionality, then I think it is intentional.

Nintendo trying to cut costs to meet the $299 price. I think they are selling the Switch at a little loss at launch.

Btw, this is shit. I am going to wait for the charging grip pack-in. I don't need a plastic holder.

It's intentional for sure. The intention is to fleece their loyal fanbase for every single penny they can, and large swathes will happily lap it up for Zelda/Mario & Co.

Weren't Nintendo literally charging people for an AC adaptor for one of the versions of the DS/3DS? The same Nintendo who limited the number of solo Wii-motes on launch in the UK for the Wii, so you had to buy the Wii Play bundle if you wanted 4 Wii-motes.

'Good Guy Nintendo' has been dead for quite some time.

Quick question about the charging grip:

Does it come with a USB cord to connect to the dock so you can use it while playing? I don't want to purchase an additional AC Adapter for that...

GobFather

It's not damage control Lmao. 20 hours is more than enough. The Duals hock falls apart in 3 hours and people are like, So? I just have it plugged in all the time!

Then it's not wireless. 20 hours is fine. It's honestly a niche issue that isn't even thread worthy.

How many times are you going to repeat the same thing? If it's not a concern for you that's fine, move on. But it's a concern enough for some people, and it's a legit concern. We don't live in a perfect world. This is like defending a auto company for NOT including a jumper cable. Hey it's not really an issue for majority of the time you own a car so it's a non issue right ? Until that one time you NEED it, is when it becomes an issue. I mean you could technically pay out of your pocket to buy your own jumper cable. You could always try to make sure your car battery never dies and it may work 99.9% of the time. But you expect the convenience of having it and expect the company to provide that option in the original purchase.

helium121

Banned
My only question is did Microsoft receive this same backlash by not including the charge kit with their systems? You either have to continuously replace batteries or buy some type of rechargeable battery solution. Pricing this online cost about $25-$30.

If the 20 hour battery life is true then this shouldn't be an issue for most people.

Top Bottom