• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is Nintendo's fastest selling game system (US, 906K), Zelda over 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Definitely seems NES Mini died to increase Switch capacity. This is really good numbers.

jholmes

Huh? People were excited for LC:U on Switch because it's both a good game and the first non-cut down portable Lego game, there's also many people who didn't play the Wii U version. LC:U, whilst ending up good, ain't exactly a system seller by itself.

'Kay... but for all the talk about how great the Switch is, the software is a bunch of stuff on Wii U or old ports like I Am Setsuna and Payday 2. That's fine if that's what you want, but I fail to see how people can think the Wii U is this awful failure but somehow still get excited for Mario Kart 8 a few years later.

Boke1879

Nintendo has the most important E3 of its life coming up. The suspense is terrible....I hope it will last.

We know what to expect of them first party wise for the rest of the year. I doubt E3 would really change much since we know what games are coming.

It'll do well this year and do great this Holiday thanks to Mario. Year 2 is where we get into the unknown.

Neff

If the Switch does take a turn for the worse at some point, this should definitely be one of the posts people drag up to laugh at. Maybe give the thing a couple months where Zelda isn't coming out before etching its fate in stone.

Nah, I'm etching it in stone, even at this early stage. The buzz around Switch is far more positive and widespread than Wii U and 3DS put together, it's arguably a more attractive piece of hardware than either, it has a solid line up for this year, and it's selling ludicrously well. Not only that, but people have come round to Nintendo in a big way over the last year or so. I can even see them dominating Christmas.

I'm quite happy sticking my neck out and claiming that it's going to be a success.

Boke1879

For that over 100% attach rate.

It has to also include people who bought a special edition as well as the regular games as well.

jowell24

Congratulations. It did better than I expected and am happy for it.

Just needs to bring out more games before I consider buying it...
... and by games I mean Monster Hunter

Instant purchase when they announce a switch version

Mega

Banned
Don't be so stupid. 3ds is still a money maker for Nintendo.

When it comes to 3DS, Nintendo needs to

giphy.gif

'Kay... but for all the talk about how great the Switch is, the software is a bunch of stuff on Wii U or old ports like I Am Setsuna and Payday 2. That's fine if that's what you want, but I fail to see how people can think the Wii U is this awful failure but somehow still get excited for Mario Kart 8 a few years later.

It mario Kart had come out on Wii U at launch, I would have brought a Wii U. It's Mario Kart on the go. I enjoy my switch more than my other consoles because I take my games with me on the go. Because of that, I'm more likely to play games I wouldn't buy on PC or console. That appeals to a lot of us. Of course people are excited. Sorry that's it not for you though.

When it comes to 3DS, Nintendo needs to

giphy.gif

Im dead. I was watching that last night lol

The Switch launch has been my favorite in a loooong time. In fact, I don't think I've used a console this much during its first month (I imagine it being portable has a lot to do with it
Also Zelda :p)

Plum

Despite the fact that you're both wrong and severely underestimating Mario Kart 8, I don't see what that has to do with Lego City: Undercover.

For that over 100% attach rate.

It has to also include people who bought a special edition as well as the regular games as well.

And people who bought the game while waiting for a good deal on the console.

That's what I did.

I most likely will end up buying the Switch in quite some time, but staring at that BoTW special edition still feels nice from time to time :p

AniHawk

the switch is off to a great start. yesterday's direct was confirmation that developers are scrambling to support the system. it's only going to get a lot better from here on out.

Instro

We don't know the quantities that are being shipped though.

I expect normal slowdown until the holiday. If it can maintain sales higher than Xbox One it would already be a huge victory in my opinion, and definitely a sign of long term success.

Well you can probably extrapolate from how much Japan is selling weekly (40-50k being sold out), that they'd be able to ship quite a bit more than that to the US for next month.

Mory Dunz

We know what to expect of them first party wise for the rest of the year. I doubt E3 would really change much since we know what games are coming.

It'll do well this year and do great this Holiday thanks to Mario. Year 2 is where we get into the unknown.

I agree.

But there should be an asterisk due to Pokemon and Smash still being rumors at this point.

2017 is set though. (I think those two games exist. Not sure about Mario Maker though)
2018 doesn't need to match 2017. And by then you might start seeing bigger 3rd Party JP games such as SMT, MH, DQ11, or Ni no Kuni if those all exist.

Trago

Because there more to look forward to than Mario Kart.

Again, we're hardly over a month in and we already have hard release dates, close release dates, for the next major Nintendo releases.

Wii U was ASS in comparison lol.

TS-08

I guess this MK8D talking point isn't going to die until we are able to start getting hard numbers after release. I look forward to it.

Edit - oh and he went for the classic "why would you buy Mario Kart for the Switch if you didn't buy it for Wii U?" talking point below. Real vintage stuff here.

jholmes

It mario Kart had come out on Wii U at launch, I would have brought a Wii U. It's Mario Kart on the go. I enjoy my switch more than my other consoles because I take my games with me on the go. Because of that, I'm more likely to play games I wouldn't buy on PC or console. That appeals to a lot of us. Of course people are excited. Sorry that's it not for you though.

Mario Kart 8 isn't out at launch though?

I'm fine with people being excited for the Switch even if I don't share their excitement. I just don't get the accompanying shitting on the Wii U.

Despite the fact that you're both wrong and severely underestimating Mario Kart 8, I don't see what that has to do with Lego City: Undercover.

It's both a late port and a game that was on the Wii U? And it was specifically mentioned in the post I quoted?

And Mario Kart 8 is a lot of fun, but if you wouldn't buy a Wii U for it years ago, why buy a Switch for it?

SirShandy

As great as Zelda has done pushing consoles, I expect Super Mario Odyssey to be an even bigger title for the Switch, due both to public reaction and console exclusivity.

Lets see, Wii U launched with a super tanker of late/inferior ports, a NSMB game (the second one that year!), and Zombi U. We had to wait months for something else to play. Not to mention no clear road-map of what was to come. Just vague release years and release windows.

It's a miracle that the Wii U had the success it did out of the gate lol.

Lol yeah it's nice and day.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
LOL

Are some of y'all serious? I think that without a doubt this console will crush the Wii U. Wii U's first year was dry as fuck. We're barely over a month in and we already have release dates for the next few major Nintendo releases, and those releases are close after launch.

The fuck were we waiting on Wii U in the same time frame? Lego City? Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate?

It also helps that they launched with a must-buy game out of the gate. I ain't calling it a mega success now, but compared to what was happening last generation, I'm ready to say that it won't fail like the Wii U.

The following are the major games that released the year after the WiiU holiday 2012 launch:

January:

Feburary:

March:
- Lego City Undercover
- Monster Hunter Ultimate 3
- Need for Speed: Most Wanted U
- The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

April:
- Injustice: Gods Among Us

May:
- Lego Batman 2
- Resident Evil: Revelations
- Sniper Elite V2

June:
- Game & Wario
- New Super Luigi U

July:

August:
- Pikmin 3
- Angry Birds Triology
- Disney Infinity
- The Wonderful 101
- Splinter Cell: Blacklist

September:
- Rayman Legends
- Scribblenauts Unmasked
- Windwaker HD

October:
- Just Dance 2014/Kids
- Lego Marvel Superheroes
- Skylanders SwapForce
- Deus Ex Human Revolution
- Batman Arkham Origins
- Sonic Lost Worlds
- Angry Birds Star Wars
- Assassin's Creed: Black Flag
- Wii Party U

November:
- Call of Duty: Ghosts
- Mario & Sonic 2014 Olympics
- Super Mario 3D World
- Wii Fit U
- Wii Sports Club

December:
- NES Remix

PS4 outsold Switch with Knack and Killzone Shadowfall. I think a port of Zelda is fine.

Boke1879

and yea. I gotta agree. Nintendo. It's time to start moving on from the 3DS.

The main focus needs to be Switch. It's a console/handheld hybrid. It's time to consolidate everyone to it.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I knew switch was not wiiu from reveal. Appealing hardware vs unappealing hardware.

Then Zelda becomes a hit. Compare that to the 4th nsmbu game after people had been asking for a Change since the second one.

Then my lapsed gamer friend bought a switch for Zelda. His last console was a ps2.

The demand is different from the wii. But people want this thing.

Sandfox

This is pretty crazy.

Because there more to look forward to than Mario Kart.

Again, we're hardly over a month in and we already have hard release dates, close release dates, for the next major Nintendo releases.

Wii U was ASS in comparison lol.
Yeah, the Wii U basically just had a delayed pikmin 3.

As great as Zelda has done pushing consoles, I expect Super Mario Odyssey to be an even bigger title for the Switch, due both to public reaction and console exclusivity.
For sure, I checked the youtube trailer for Mario and its almost at 20 million. Views don't always mean much, but you know

thefro

MK8 Deluxe seems like it's going to be monstrous from the pre-order numbers. Outselling every game for the year on Amazon sans BOTW Switch and Horizon is nuts. Game isn't even out for 2 more weeks.

I don't think there's a realistic scenario where the system isn't selling strongly in the US for at least the next few months.

ggx2ac

The following are the major games that released the year after the WiiU holiday 2012 launch:

January:

Feburary:

March:
- Lego City Undercover
- Monster Hunter Ultimate 3
- Need for Speed: Most Wanted U
- The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

April:
- Injustice: Gods Among Us

May:
- Lego Batman 2
- Resident Evil: Revelations
- Sniper Elite V2

June:
- Game & Wario
- New Super Luigi U

July:

August:
- Pikmin 3
- Angry Birds Triology
- Disney Infinity
- The Wonderful 101
- Splinter Cell: Blacklist

September:
- Rayman Legends
- Scribblenauts Unmasked
- Windwaker HD

October:
- Just Dance 2014/Kids
- Lego Marvel Superheroes
- Skylanders SwapForce
- Deus Ex Human Revolution
- Batman Arkham Origins
- Sonic Lost Worlds
- Angry Birds Star Wars
- Assassin's Creed: Black Flag
- Wii Party U

November:
- Call of Duty: Ghosts
- Mario & Sonic 2014 Olympics
- Super Mario 3D World
- Wii Fit U
- Wii Sports Club

December:
- NES Remix

When you compare the bolded to what the Switch has for the first 6 months. The sales momentum was destroyed for the Wii U.

I can't even remember if they had any eShop games during that time.

Switch at least has digital only titles from Indies to help with the software library.

noshten

As I mentioned in the "soft launch" thread - Wii U and 3DS can't really compete with the Switch in terms of the initial first 6 months on the market. To me the holiday season will be the deciding factor if my predictions of 5.1 million in the US and 4.5 million in Japan hold true for 2017. Zelda, MK8D and Splatoon 2 are going to keep on selling - those three games are going to be up there at the end of the year and you could probably add the Minecraft Switch version to the list.

What were Wii U and 3DS launch pricing for the first six months again?

Do people here think there was anything more appealing than Zelda on either of those systems at launch?

I don't think that those were successful launches by Nintendo and the launch games weren't particularly impressive at least to me. I waited for MK8 and a free game to get my Wii U. It was a console I had no interest for launched day.
If someone missed out on the Wii U because of the awful messaging and marketing by Nintendo, Switch might make more sense. Being able to play MK8, Zelda, Splatoon during it's first half an year - on the go is a pretty great upgrade compared to the Wii U. In a sense the Gamepad should have been this device - but technology on the Wii U is ancient compared to the Switch. The GamePad is also a monstrosity compared to the Tablet and that's from someone that likes what the Gamepad did for the Wii U.
3D and 3DS at launch to me was also a mess, the 3D didn't sell the system - price cuts and games did.
Switch needs to launch better than both those systems but Nintendo would probably be conservative and there would end up being a lot more demand than anticipated. Anyhow there is still a month or so left so we have plenty of time to see how preorders are shapping up. After all it's not only Switch games scheduled for Q1. Amazon, Japanese Preorders and other supply related PR will be able to shed more light whether Switch is going as much of a disaster as some are predicting.

I honestly be surprised if the Switch doesn't do a better than both 3DS and Wii U's first 6 months. It's the holidays I'm more uncertain about.

Sure Switch competes with Consoles/PC for one demographic.
But it competes with Mobile/3DS/Vita in another - where it has every chance to be bigger at least at launch compared to either Vita or 3DS. Both Vita and 3DS were $250 devices at launch but neither was as successful as their predecessor. Switch is replacing both these devices and other than mobile there is no substitute.

Plum

It's both a late port and a game that was on the Wii U? And it was specifically mentioned in the post I quoted?

And Mario Kart 8 is a lot of fun, but if you wouldn't buy a Wii U for it years ago, why buy a Switch for it?

I replied to your comment on LC:U, not a comment on Mario Kart 8 you didn't make.

As for your second question; MK8 came out on an undesirable console with poor marketing two years after its launch. If you can't see the difference then nothing I say will explain it.

MK8 Deluxe seems like it's going to be monstrous from the pre-order numbers. Outselling every game for the year on Amazon sans BOTW Switch and Horizon is nuts. Game isn't even out for 2 more weeks.

I don't think there's a realistic scenario where the system isn't selling strongly in the US for at least the next few months.
And Japan should be fine too with Kart and Splatoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom