• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the fastest-selling Nintendo console in European history

Lothars

I didn't see that coming. I'm happy about it, but I'm surprised.

In a way, this almost shouldn't be happening. The Switch is a console with a much stronger concept than the Wii U but without the ecosystem and supporting features that early adopters have come to expect from Nintendo's competitors (the online focus and the quality of third party support remain obvious weak spots). And yet, here we are.
It has a great launch game which is a system seller. So It's not surprising but Nintendo needs to make sure they don't have a huge software drought like they did with the Wii U, as long as they don't than it has the potential to keep selling really well.

The price is another issue altogether and something I think they will need to correct.

It's launching at the cheapest price of any console in many years. It's not expensive at all. Even the WiiU was more expensive at launch.
That's not true, it's the same price as the wii u at launch. actually where I am it's a hundred dollar more expensive than the Wii U.

So will we eventually go back to the Wii days where people spouted things like, "Yeah it's popular but just a fad"?

TBF the Wii success absolutely WAS a fad. I don't see that you can say the same about the Switch. I may have different hardware format but it's still about traditional videogames ultimately.

TBF the Wii success absolutely WAS a fad. I don't see that you can say the same about the Switch. I may have different hardware format but it's still about traditional videogames ultimately.

It really wasn't. What made the Wii successful was eventually copied by other devices and flowed through those device landscapes.

The Wii's success was real, Nintendo just did not capitalize on it properly in the end.

slit

Regardless, if the Switch turns out to be a success nobody will be able to say Nintendo just got lucky with Wii.

hohoXD123

Also: they don't have to write/port the engine and toolset anymore, assuming it's same/similar to zelda's engine and toolset.
2.5 years of development is steep but possible.

Wii U apparently sold half of Switch in France and the UK (blue=first week, red = first month)

What was the Wii U stock situation like in the first week? For the UK at least stock was readily available since launch, though over the last day or so more places have run out and Tesco is the only place left.

slit

Huh, they also had the DS, and even the 3DS found decent success in recent years.

Right, but now they don't have anything else except this hybrid which people seem to treat as the "Nintendo console". Lines are being blurred.

Yeah they will, they'll just say this a handheld, Nintendo handhelds have always done well... etc.

Huh, they also had the DS, and even the 3DS found decent success in recent years.

This is pretty funny.

So
Europe 325k
Japan 317k
NA at least 400k

Switch sold at least over a million in its first weekend. That seems pretty intense. PS4 sold 1 mil on day 1 and hit 2 mil in 15 days.

spekkeh

Banned
Initial sales numbers mean nothing for Nintendo. In the past they intentionally shorted inventory in order to create hype. They always sell out because they never have enough units for sale.

You could argue that they just manufactured more Switches before putting them on sale this time.
So about this Wii U console.

i'd be shocked if they maintain it. but weirder things have happened, like the wii being a success for instance. lol

Lol Wii provided an alternate way of playing video games that actually worked and made gaming appealing to people who would have never picked up a controller otherwise.

Wii is legendary and there is nothing weird about its success.

At lanuch it really come down to supply. Real test is in months ahead.

I mean, yeah. But I think a lot of people are sleeping on the Switch. I think it's going to be a hit. Take into account Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, Pokémon (or so we've heard), and a brand new, proper exploratory Mario all this year. Y'all sleep.

It really wasn't. What made the Wii successful was eventually copied by other devices and flowed through those device landscapes.

The Wii's success was real, Nintendo just did not capitalize on it properly in the end.

It was real but that doesn't mean it wasn't a fad. So many systems were sold to people who wouldn't normally buy them but people got bored after a few years. PS move failed. Kinect failed. Motion controlled TV remotes suck. There is maybe some application in VR but we'll see. There was definitely an element of faddishness to it all.

It's only going up when the wave of indies start to roll in, and then the rest of the 2017 AAA titles. I'm hoping the Switch will be my goto platform for indies that I would normally buy on PC or PS4.

This past weekend I played BoTW in 5 different configurations, and all worked well:
1. docked TV with joy-cons attached to grip
2. docked TV with split joy-cons (really comfortable way to play with motion control)
3. docked TV using pro-controller
4. portable with joy-cons attached
5. table top with split joy-cons

Nothing else in the marketplace does this.

Amusing that you believe indies will maintain any kind of momentum.

Lothars

I mean, yeah. But I think a lot of people are sleeping on the Switch. I think it's going to be a hit. Take into account Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, Pokémon (or so we've heard), and a brand new, proper exploratory Mario all this year. Y'all sleep.
I don't think people are sleeping on the switch. At the price they are asking they have to show a good value. Zelda makes it worth it for the people that wanted it at launch but the issue is Nintendo has had constant game droughts in the last 3 generations where it was a long time between games. If they can avoid it than it is in good shape but with how expensive the system is. It will only hurt the console if they do have any major game droughts but if they can keep up consistent quality releases than it will do really well. The thing is nobody knows the answer on how it will be. It's something that the next 6 months will help determine.

It has a great launch game which is a system seller. So It's not surprising but Nintendo needs to make sure they don't have a huge software drought like they did with the Wii U, as long as they don't than it has the potential to keep selling really well.

The price is another issue altogether and something I think they will need to correct.

That's not true, it's the same price as the wii u at launch. actually where I am it's a hundred dollar more expensive than the Wii U.

No. The WiiU was $350 at launch. The Switch is only $300.

takriel

See Nintendo, the things you can achieve if you listen to fan feedback. BotW is amazing, one of the best games I have ever played, and I am so glad that you listened to our criticism for the Zelda series.

TheMoon

No. The WiiU was $350 at launch. The Switch is only $300.

we're in an EU thread.

The Wii U was €299 (basic) and €349 (premium)

The Switch is €329/€299/€359 depending on how much a store or country in general wants to fuck you over or be nice to you

I don't think people are sleeping on the switch. At the price they are asking they have to show a good value. Zelda makes it worth it for the people that wanted it at launch but the issue is Nintendo has had constant game droughts in the last 3 generations where it was a long time between games. If they can avoid it than it is in good shape but with how expensive the system is. It will only hurt the console if they do have any major game droughts but if they can keep up consistent quality releases than it will do really well. The thing is nobody knows the answer on how it will be. It's something that the next 6 months will help determine.

Well, merging the handheld and console departments should remedy this. Hopefully.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That's false. The Wii U was 300 at launch as is the Switch. In canada it was 300 at launch and it's 400 now.

You could get the deluxe edition Wii u for 350 but it was still 300 for the basic bundle.

Barely anyone bought the basic edition. There's a reason why it was effectively ditched shortly after launch.

Haines

Banned
I truly hope Nintendo can keep this up. Been a fan through thick and thin and would love to see more jump aboard.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Absolutely, I really hope it's the case to but again I am skeptical but if I am wrong and it is the case than that is only good news.

It doesn't change the fact that it was 300 at launch.

Kinda does when the only appealing SKU was $350. If the consumer gave a damn about the $300 sku they would have bought it. Much like the PS3 one.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Nintendo doesn't just make games for your taste so just cause you dismiss splatoon doesn't mean that the majority will (see japan sales).

And where did I say that they should? There's no need to be so aggressive. These Nintendo threads..................

wartama

Neo Member
Just wait until it gets it's ultimate killer app:

A Samba De Amigo revival where you use your two joycon as maracas, complete with HD Rumble beads.

Weirdly enough, today I was holding the joycons in both hands and without reason shook them, and then immediately thought that right now it's possible to simulate playing maracas like never before. We're really in the future now.

Samba De Amigo Switch when?

Voke

Banned
I'm really interested on how this console does throughout its lifespan. I may not own one for another year or so, but I know by then it's library is going to be jam packed with amazing games from Nintendos first party studios. What I wonder is if that if exclusives and portability can lead to the consoles success. I see it going it reaching 30-40 LT sales.

Mael

Their handheld lines have never been unsuccessful.
From OGB (or even earlier with Game&Watch) to 3DS you won't see a stinker.
It's very profitable and highly successful there.
If Switch follow their handheld line it's going to be a great thing for them.

mclem

Weirdly enough, today I was holding the joycons in both hands and without reason shook them, and then immediately thought that right now it's possible to simulate playing maracas like never before. We're really in the future now.

Samba De Amigo Switch when?

They're not going to be able to measure height, though, are they? Dunno if there's a decent solution to that.

I believe it. Retail is an absolute wasteland in Germany, only Switch thing left to buy in store is 1-2 Switch lol. I'm really glad it's selling well. A mainline Pokemon, Monster Hunter, Fire Emblem game on the big screen would be amazing.

But I wonder, why is Nintendo so big in Germany and France unlike the UK for example?

At some level, it's a basic difference of culture and acceptable aesthetics for video games and media in general. France in particular is somewhat well known for its love of Japanese material. To put it another way, Leiji Matsumoto - creator of Space Battleship Yamato - has honours from two countries - one of them is Japan, the other is France.

Good result for Nintendo, let's just hope it lasts beyond the launch period.

karma2578

It has it's faults but I love the switch. It's awesome playing zelda then picking up where I left off on the go.
Netflix and a browser hopefully soon

idlewild_

Their handheld lines have never been unsuccessful.
From OGB (or even earlier with Game&Watch) to 3DS you won't see a stinker.
It's very profitable and highly successful there.
If Switch follow their handheld line it's going to be a great thing for them.

It kind of has to imo, if this is supposed to take over for both console and handheld then doing just console numbers would be disastrous.

Top Bottom