• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the fastest-selling Nintendo console in European history

Fredrik

Switch is awesome. It deserves all the success it can get.

Really glad Nintendo went in this direction. Over time, launch flaws will disappear and all that remains will be a truly wonderful console.
Yup, well deserved, the portability is what takes it up a notch for me, makes it so much easier to find time to play compared to the stationary consoles.

dracula_x

So
Europe 325k
Japan 317k
NA at least 400k

Switch sold at least over a million in its first weekend. That seems pretty intense. PS4 sold 1 mil on day 1 and hit 2 mil in 15 days.

in NA only, btw – http://www.cnbc.com/2013/11/17/sony-sells-more-than-1-million-ps4-units-in-24-hours.html

Consumers in North America bought more than 1 million PS4s within the first 24 hours of the new $399 home video game console going on sale Friday. That's the fastest start for a PlayStation system so far.

launch in Europe was 2 weeks later. Plus Japan in Feb 2014.

Kebiinu

Banned
Is it too early to bring up my prediction thread yet? ;)

Seriously now I'm really surprised by this, and if it will keep it that way, 90% of Gaf are gonna eat huge crows.

GAF always eats crow, lol. Check out the Wii topics before launch, the 3DS, the PSP...we like to think we know it all, though.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds promising, will be interesting to follow this console going forward. I am looking forward to grabbing one and Zelda sometime in April when I'm done with this whole move to a new apartment thingy

Didn't it take something like 3 to 6 month for France to sell 100 000 WiiUs?

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/839136737624469504

Edit:

C6U5GppXMAAptdw.jpg:large

Blue is the 1st week, red is the 4 weeks after (except XBO which includes 5 weeks)
https://twitter.com/oscarlemaire/status/839139702817054721

Here.

groansey

Better than I expected, bu I still think it needs a mainline Pokemon announced this year if they want it to lift-off.

AdanVC

Excellent news! Especially because if this keeps going, we're going to start seeing 3rd parties jumping on the Switch wagon with their games!

Switch is off to an excellent start. It's going to be very interesting to watch legs over the next few weeks / months to get an idea of how the hardware is really being viewed but I definitely feel safe saying this isn't the next Wii U for Nintendo.

Splatoon 2 in Summer is genius.

Ammogeddon

Good for them. I helped towards that too.

I haven't owned a Nintendo since GameCube and haven't owned two consoles at the same time since last gen (PS3/360).

As well as Nintendo's stellar IP they have produced something different enough for me to justify owning two consoles again.

Kraq

Good news for Nintendo, and much needed too. This thing needs to carry on both the 3DS and Wii U's legacy, they can't afford to have another Wii U situation. Now they need to keep up the momentum. They need to come out big at E3 with lots of first party content. Last year with Zelda only was okay... because we all knew the Wii U was dead anyway. With Switch, they need hype, and need to strike whilst the iron is hot, like they did with that Fire Emblem Direct.

As for myself, I'll be picking one up whenever it gets a price cut. I can't justify £280, but £250 w/ Zelda, Mario or Fire Emblem and I'm in.

KAL2006

Banned
I think many Nintendo fans skipped Wii U (including me) which gave a thirst for new Nintendo hardware. Pokémon Go, NES Mini and Mario Run gave Nintendo some awareness which also helped.

This bodes well for Mario Kart 8 as I think many people haven't played that game.

jonno394

Launch weekend of 1m sounds good. Obviously not a patch on ps4, but then i don't think anyone expected it to be. Switch needs legs, Wii u and Wii has Christmas a few weeks after launch to maintain sales over the month, Switch doesn't have that luxury.

MilkyJoe

It depends how people look at the price

£280 may be a lot for a seemingly underpowered home console, or even a portable, but £280 for both is exceptional value, even more so when you only have to buy a game once to play it either way.

Except its not 280 when you buy the controller and a game. It's not exceptional value. Hdmi out is not a new thing.

Exceptional value would have been a second sku, about the size of the dock, pro controller and <150 penciled on the price tag, for those that are not into the handheld market it's just Kinetic bundled in again.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Except its not 280 when you buy the controller and a game. It's not exceptional value. Hdmi out is not a new thing.

Exceptional value would have been a second sku, about the size of the dock, pro controller and <150 penciled on the price tag, for those that are not into the handheld market it's just Kinetic bundled in again.

it comes with a controller (even 2, for many games)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It's good that Switch is doing well, but it's even better that this Zelda is getting the sales it deserves. What an incredible game. It really is the fresh breath of air the franchise needed. Fact that the game is absolutely huge and will take a while to beat, helps as well.

gtj1092

Looks like it will be the biggest first week launch ever. X1 was previous best right? Will know in a month what the actual demand is though. We'll see if it truly at Wii levels of demand or just has better initial supply.

Madness

I also think it is Europe and retailers having better distribution and selling ability. Every single 'new console' has been the fastest selling recently aka PS4, Wii etc. This isn't the days of the early 90's anymore. I think going forward you will see whatever next console Sony and Nintendo have will also be fastest selling as the industry keeps growing there. Not to discredit the Switch. There is genuine hype for it.

Elios83

Great for them but it's all about momentum and honestly with the upcoming lineup I don't think this is going to last.
Pretty much all Nintendo consoles have good launches, even Wii U had a good launch, with Switch they were helped by having a great game like Zelda available day one. But the actual test is yet to begin.
Personally I will consider to buy the Switch this Christmas if Mario is not delayed, more ''meaningful'' games are announced for the future and the price is cut.

Zalman

I wonder if they can keep up the momentum. The game lineup has me skeptical. Great start nonetheless, really happy with mine.

grim-tales

That's some very impressive numbers for Switch, holy crap.
A great start, but it remains to be seen if it can keep that up though.

gogojira

Uhmmm lets wait and see the first month. No way in hell it will keep up this pace.

Despite being a slightly enhanced version, Mario Kart is a massively popular franchise that Nintendo is trying to leverage to keep momentum going.

Irrelevant to GAF hype, I think it might accomplish their mission.

KAL2006

Banned
Despite being a slightly enhanced version, Mario Kart is a massively popular franchise that Nintendo is trying to leverage to keep momentum going.

Irrelevant to GAF hype, I think it might accomplish their mission.

They have already started their marketing campaign for Mario Kart and Arms.

I assume it's

April - Mario Kart

June - Arms

July - Splatoon 2

September - Smash Bros

October- Pokémon Stars

November - Mario Odyssey

These are the games that will be marketed the most. Of course there will be other games like Fire Emblem Warriors.

good shit. i think i saw another thread about switch having a great holiday. i think some of the hype may have dwindled by then but nonetheless, yes nintendo may crush this holiday

I assume it's

April - Mario Kart

June - Arms

July - Splatoon 2

September - Smash Bros

October- Pokémon Stars

November - Mario Odyssey

These are the games that will be marketed the most. Of course there will be other games like Fire Emblem Warriors.

Oh man, if pokemon stars is real the Switch lineup will be just amazing.

Let's see what happens when the hype dies down. I was surprised they didn't supply constrain like usually and I ordered one here in Norway on the Monday before launch and got one and Zelda no issues.

Feichaw

That's pretty good. Switch seems to be a very promising console, and Zelda is only helping the cause. Congratulations, Nintendo!

gogojira

I assume it's

April - Mario Kart

June - Arms

July - Splatoon 2

September - Smash Bros

October- Pokémon Stars

November - Mario Odyssey

It's a pretty clear strategy through July. Put Arms between your two known quantities that are definitely going to drive sales and hope for the best (I'm guessing it'll do pretty well, but we'll see).

I don't want to speculate on unannounced games but if either of those do hit in that time frame, that'll bring through the holidays which Mario is going to sweep up pretty handily

Holy Sh... Switch sales are going to be insane this Christmas. Congrats to Nintendo, also the word of mouth with this thing is going to be great too.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

I assume it's

April - Mario Kart

June - Arms

July - Splatoon 2

September - Smash Bros

October- Pokémon Stars

November - Mario Odyssey

if this is turns out to be what happens, people are gonna lose it for a Switch this Christmas

Celine

Great for them but it's all about momentum and honestly with the upcoming lineup I don't think this is going to last.
Pretty much all Nintendo consoles have good launches, even Wii U had a good launch, with Switch they were helped by having a great game like Zelda available day one. But the actual test is yet to begin.
I agree with you that what really matter is the performance in the mid-term more than the launch days.
However there is a big difference between WiiU and Switch launch sales, at least in UK and France (less so in Japan which is the other Country we have sell-through).

France
Switch: 105K
WiiU: 45K

UK
Switch: 80K
WiiU: 40K

Japan:
Switch: 331K
WiiU: 309K

Sounds promising, will be interesting to follow this console going forward. I am looking forward to grabbing one and Zelda sometime in April when I'm done with this whole move to a new apartment thingy
Take your time...Study shows most stressful situations in life

- Divorce
- Moving
- Funerals

Looks like Sony's strategy didn't work. Oops.

Good for Nintendo, but too bad the Switch will lose momentum, it has no games for the next months and it will only get some hot stuff later this year (watch everything be delayed).

Nintendo is their own worst enemy.

Top Bottom