• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the fastest-selling Nintendo console in European history

Is it too early to bring up my prediction thread yet? ;)

Seriously now I'm really surprised by this, and if it will keep it that way, 90% of Gaf are gonna eat huge crows.
WAAAY too early man...Stop it,

Not only is GAF wrong all the time (as a whole, you can find people even in the PS3/X360 era that said Sony will get it right this gen) but you assuming a good launch for Switch means its going to be some kinda juggernaut is just as premature.

One Holiday season on the market is a good indication of what the system will be.

They did a great job with stock and supply. There seems to have been one for anyone who wanted one on launch day regardless of having a pre-order.

Ciabatta doing work

giphy.gif

jonno394

They have already started their marketing campaign for Mario Kart and Arms.

I assume it's

April - Mario Kart

June - Arms

July - Splatoon 2

September - Smash Bros

October- Pokémon Stars

November - Mario Odyssey

These are the games that will be marketed the most. Of course there will be other games like Fire Emblem Warriors.

It's hard to imagine what 2018 will have instore. A Yoshi in March? Xenoblade 2 in April? Fire Emblem in June? Luigis Mansion 3 or a HD double pack in October? Metroid in November?

Tbh, I have very high hopes for this thing, they just need a steady flow of nintendo titles every couple of months or so and i'll be satisfied.

dakun

well done. I'm one of them. But realistically i think that sales a going to have a pretty gigantic dip pretty fast, especially because of the lack of games this year. Early adopters gonna adopt early. The real question is if it'll hit the mainstream. And i don't see that happening yet in the US and EU.

Stoof

It's hard to imagine what 2018 will have instore. A Yoshi in March? Xenoblade 2 in April? Fire Emblem in June? Luigis Mansion 3 or a HD double pack in October? Metroid in November?

Tbh, I have very high hopes for this thing, they just need a steady flow of nintendo titles every couple of months or so and i'll be satisfied.

Well they still have Xenoblade 2 as listed for 2017 even in the US so maybe that in December. Would be a crazy first year for sure either way.

Maxinas

A worldwide release for FE would be a great start. Europe got the short end with Fates.

Oregano

Holy Sh... Switch sales are going to be insane this Christmas. Congrats to Nintendo, also the word of mouth with this thing is going to be great too.

Anecdotally speaking but the people I've shown Switch to all thing it's a really cool device and a bunch of people at work have expressed interest in getting one. Including someone who's a massive PC gamer, he said Zelda is enticing.

I also know of at least two other people on other departments who own a Switch already.

exfatal

Preorder uncancelled!

Seriously though this is great news, not even during the holiday seasons now lets just hope Nintendo delivers on the Online service and virtual console to keep this console in the general public good lights going into holidays.
or E3

Is it too early to bring up my prediction thread yet? ;)

Seriously now I'm really surprised by this, and if it will keep it that way, 90% of Gaf are gonna eat huge crows.

It's definitely too early to tell, but I do think a lot of GAF will be eating a lot of crow, yes.

I am very confident in the things I posted in that thread and went against the general consensus pretty heavily. And even I may end up being wrong in the end.

Kebiinu

Banned
Love all the goal post moving in this topic. After the conference it was "DOA", then it was, "Initial sales don't mean anything." and now it's, "Y'all know its just the first week right? Let's wait and see."

Just funny to see, lol.

Cunning Nintendo, releasing the Wii in small batches so over a decade later they could hype the Switch. Masters of the long game. The Wii U was clearly just a ruse to lower our defenses.
You're not thinking long-term enough. They've been holding back for decades in Europe as part of their 2017 PR master plan.
GCN_EU

asagami_

Banned
They have already started their marketing campaign for Mario Kart and Arms.

I assume it's

April - Mario Kart

June - Arms

July - Splatoon 2

September - Smash Bros

October- Pokémon Stars

November - Mario Odyssey

These are the games that will be marketed the most. Of course there will be other games like Fire Emblem Warriors.

I would expect Fire Emblem Warriors be a Q3 title, maybe in September. Xenoblade 2 is very likely to be a December title, if it isn't delayed.

Smash Bros and Pokémon Stars are still rumors, still. Anyway, I think when Smash Bros or Pokémon Stars are released (or the first of them), we will see more new games but each two months, and the ports from 3DS and Wii U will fill the space between new games.

Compsiox

Banned
Congrats to Nintendo. I'm glad they have a potential hit on their hands but they need to become more modern when it comes to console features. Cloud saves would be a good start.

gogojira

Random people on forums who toss out that phrase like it's a fact when it should just be "doesn't sell like Mario and Zelda." The Prime trilogy sold incredibly well. Other M and Federation Force were disasters. One was a spin-off and the other was a Metroid game even Metroid fans found obnoxious.

Here's to hoping Nintendo has something to show soon.

Tridon

Neo Member
That's false. The Wii U was 300 at launch as is the Switch. In canada it was 300 at launch and it's 400 now.

You could get the deluxe edition Wii u for 350 but it was still 300 for the basic bundle.

You're forgetting the Canadian dollar was at par with the US dollar when the Wii U launched. You would be paying less for a Switch if our dollar wasn't so weak right now. Blame the Economy, not Nintendo's pricing.

Congrats to Nintendo. I'm glad they have a potential hit on their hands but they need to become more modern when it comes to console features. Cloud saves would be a good start.

They've got a ton of work to do regarding the OS. It's fine for now, but it needs to be heavily upgraded by the fall.

Kthulhu

Random people on forums who toss out that phrase like it's a fact when it should just be "doesn't sell like Mario and Zelda." The Prime trilogy sold incredibly well. Other M and Federation Force were disasters. One was a spin-off and the other was a Metroid game even Metroid fans found obnoxious.

Here's to hoping Nintendo has something to show soon.

Oh, Metroid ain't no Mario or Zelda, but the people who claim it's not popular or doesn't sell never seem to have an credible proof.

Lothars

You're forgetting the Canadian dollar was at par with the US dollar when the Wii U launched. You would be paying less for a Switch if our dollar wasn't so weak right now. Blame the Economy, not Nintendo's pricing.
I blame Nintendo's Pricing because it's always more expensive than it should be. again 299 US is still more expensive than the Switch should be.

Edit: I never forgot anything about the exchange rate but my point is still 100% valid.

Love all the goal post moving in this topic. After the conference it was "DOA", then it was, "Initial sales don't mean anything." and now it's, "Y'all know its just the first week right? Let's wait and see."

Just funny to see, lol.
It's funny that people keep saying that but nobody ever said that it wasn't going to sell out at launch. Holiday has always been the make or break time for the Switch.

I blame Nintendo's Pricing because it's always more expensive than it should be. again 299 US is still more expensive than the Switch should be.

How? I see people say this, but Nvidia sells the Shield TV for $200, and that comes with 16GB storage. The Switch comes with better controllers, a screen, battery, dock, double the storage, and all in a tablet form factor. How is that not worth the extra $100?

I have never gotten the critique about the Switch being too expensive. For its form factor, it is very competively priced. You can't compare it against PS4 and Xbox One pricing one to one because the systems offer something completely different.

I would expect Fire Emblem Warriors be a Q3 title, maybe in September. Xenoblade 2 is very likely to be a December title, if it isn't delayed.

Smash Bros and Pokémon Stars are still rumors, still. Anyway, I think when Smash Bros or Pokémon Stars are released (or the first of them), we will see more new games but each two months, and the ports from 3DS and Wii U will fill the space between new games.

Smash Bros can be a rumor all it wants but theres no way they wait till 2018 to drop the cloud, corrin and bayonetta amiibo.

And I doubt they drop them without something new to hype up. I hope the smash for Switch cover art has cloud, and bayo on the cover

There's actually no way you can know this yet. We can revisit this in three or four months.

If your reasoning is due to manufacturing costs, stop. Value is not determined in this way in the market. There's a reason the PS3 didn't launch for $900 and why my large Coke at McDonald's yesterday didn't cost two cents.

Lothars

How? I see people say this, but Nvidia sells the Shield TV for $200, and that comes with 16GB storage. The Switch comes with better controllers, a screen, battery, dock, double the storage, and all in a tablet form factor. How is that not worth the extra $100?

I have never gotten the critique about the Switch being too expensive. For its form factor, it is very competively priced. You can't compare it against PS4 and Xbox One pricing one to one because the systems offer something completely different.
How is the Shield TV a valid comparsion? It's more expensive than it should have been. If It was 250 US than that's a fair price but for what they are asking for it and using it the little I have I still don't see the value in the 299 price.

There's actually no way you can know this yet. We can revisit this in three or four months.

If your reasoning is due to manufacturing costs, stop. Value is not determined in this way in the market.
No my reasoning is them overpricing the Wii U, The 3DS and The Switch at launch. I have no doubt they will be dropping the price or adding a game for the 299 price in like 6 months.

How is the Shield TV a valid comparsion? It's more expensive than it should have been. If It was 250 US than that's a fair price but for what they are asking for it and using it the little I have I still don't see the value in the 299 price.

No my reasoning is them overpricing the Wii U, The 3DS and The Switch at launch. I have no doubt they will be dropping the price or adding a game for the 299 price in like 6 months.

Because it's pretty likely the Shield TV and Switch are pretty much the same hardware.

Again what reasoning do you have to think the Switch should be 250 other than your personal feelings? At least with the Shield TV comparison and how other tablet form factor electronics are priced, there is some type of baseline.

If we want to talk about personally feelings, the fact that I can get the next generation Nintendo portable and console for only $300 blows me away. It doesn't fit your standards of value, but depending on the sales, it could fit many other's standard of value. I think Nintendo had perfectly legitimate reasons to price it at $300 initially.

They overpriced the 3DS and Wii U at launch, based on how the market responded to those systems over a period of three or four months. There's no way you can know if they overpriced the Switch yet. It's been out for four days.

Lothars

Because it's pretty likely the Shield TV and Switch are pretty much the same hardware.

Again what reasoning do you have to think the Switch should be 250 other than your personal feelings? At least with the Shield TV comparison and how other tablet form factor electronics are priced, there is some type of baseline.
By everything I've seen for it, It feels like they are asking to much for it from what i've played with it.

I don't see anything that makes it worth the premium price they are trying to charge for it, I think 250 is the ideal price for the system or 299 with a game. 299 standalone is to expensive.

They overpriced the 3DS and Wii U at launch, based on how the market responded to those systems over a period of three or four months. There's no way you can know if they overpriced the Switch yet. It's been out for four days.
It was telling before the systems even came out, they were overpriced. It's like when the PS3 came out at 599. It was expensive for all they offered. So yes even though it's been out for 4 days, It doesn't mean it's not overpriced for what they are asking.

gogojira

Oh, Metroid ain't no Mario or Zelda, but the people who claim it's not popular or doesn't sell never seem to have an credible proof.

Yeah, basically. Nintendo's negligence and shit like Federation Force isn't doing the franchise any favors, but it's still a strong IP in the Nintendo stable.

By everything I've seen for it, It feels like they are asking to much for it from what i've played with it.

I don't see anything that makes it worth the premium price they are trying to charge for it, I think 250 is the ideal price for the system or 299 with a game. 299 standalone is to expensive.

It was telling before the systems even came out, they were overpriced. It's like when the PS3 came out at 599. It was expensive for all they offered. So yes even though it's been out for 4 days, It doesn't mean it's not overpriced for what they are asking.

Well I don't think it's over priced, and it feels like a premium device to me, but my personal feelings really do not give a good picture on this, and the same goes for yours.

Personal feelings with no reference to competing products really has no bearing in discussions of value. The console is only 4 days old. I think using the Shield TV is a fine baseline with all the additions made to it. If it sells well, then Nintendo priced it fine. If it doesn't sell well, you will be right. There's no objective way to know right now; however, you are making it seem like it for some reason.

This all sounds like projection based on your own feelings on the Switch's value, not if the system is actually worth the price to consumers. Your personal viewpoint doesn't really matter in a value-based conversation. I think Apple products are overpriced. No one cares what I think.

Again, we're not going to really know the answer to this question for another few months at the earliest.

Top Bottom