• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the fastest-selling Nintendo console in European history

I call bulls hit on the Zelda having a higher attach rate than Wii Sports.

All Wiis came with Wii sports. I never got Zelda. Unless people have been buying it without a console!

clemenx

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if Bomberman sells well regardless of quality. Is one of those names where almost everyone has nostalgia attached to it.

RoyalFool

Banned
Decent numbers, quite surprised to be honest. I didn't expect it to beat the Wii in Europe given the hype levels for it.

Next interesting number will be Mario Kart, that tends to sell a metric fuck-ton but with it being a remake of the Wii U version I'm curious how that pans out. Wonder how many people are going to double dip.

gogojira

All Wiis came with Wii sports. I never got Zelda. Unless people have been buying it without a console!

It didn't say higher attach rate, which would be impossible. It says more sales, meaning the Switch sold more and Zelda, even with a lower attach rate, sold more than Wii Sports (as in, more than Wii sold at launch).

TheMoon

Just like BotW is coming in 2015.

If Xenoblade 2 does reach the west in 2017 I'll eat something people shouldn't eat,

Poor comparison. Xenoblade 2 is built off of the XCX engine, probably also reusing some environmental art assets. All the groundwork is taken care of in that regard. Zelda was a from scratch, huge undertaking.

It's not at all unrealistic to expect it to hit the date they've confidently nailed down so far across all territories.

No my reasoning is them overpricing the Wii U, The 3DS and The Switch at launch. I have no doubt they will be dropping the price or adding a game for the 299 price in like 6 months.

I have no doubt that they'll add a pack-in of some sort for the holiday. However, I don't think that doing so is indicative of them "overpricing" at launch. Xbox One and PS4 had game bundles less than six months after launch didn't they? I seem to remember Titanfall and Infamous getting packed in with both in Feb/March after their holiday releases.

Jigorath

Banned
Random people on forums who toss out that phrase like it's a fact when it should just be "doesn't sell like Mario and Zelda." The Prime trilogy sold incredibly well. Other M and Federation Force were disasters. One was a spin-off and the other was a Metroid game even Metroid fans found obnoxious.

Here's to hoping Nintendo has something to show soon.

Did it? I know Prime 1 did pretty well, but Prime 2 shipped less than a million units worldwide, which was a pretty big disappointment. Prime 3 did over a million and that was released at the height of the mega-popular Wii. I think the original Metroid is still the best selling game in the series and that didn't even hit 3 million. And these are the most notable games in the series. Metroid has never set the sales charts on fire.

Best case scenario for a Metroid Prime 4 would be what, 2 million lifetime? It's not gonna be a priority for Nintendo when so many of their other franchises can outsell it by huge margins.

Did it? I know Prime 1 did pretty well, but Prime 2 shipped less than a million units, which was a pretty big disappointment. Prime 3 did over a million but nothing crazy. I think the original Metroid is still the best selling game in the series and that didn't even hit 3 million. The series has never set the sales charts on fire.

Prime 2 did sell over a million, although barely. Click.

Metroid Prime 1 is technically the best selling game in the series. As you can see in the link above, there's only four games with "Metroid" in the title that didn't sell over a million...and only one of them is a game that people actually like or care about (Zero Mission).

Jigorath

Banned
Prime 2 did sell over a million, although barely. Click.

Metroid Prime 1 is technically the best selling game in the series. As you can see in the link above, there's only four games with "Metroid" in the title that didn't sell over a million...and only one of them is a game that people actually like or care about (Zero Mission).

Ah, thanks for the correction.

Out of curiosity, do those updated numbers include sales from the Prime trilogy or is just the original release?

It doesn't have the highest attach rate, but the highest sales.

Doesn't mean every person that bought a Switch also bought Zelda, but that more copies of Zelda were sold than Wii units over the same period.

Nairume

Banned
Poor comparison. Xenoblade 2 is built off of the XCX engine, probably also reusing some environmental art assets. All the groundwork is taken care of in that regard. Zelda was a from scratch, huge undertaking.

It's not at all unrealistic to expect it to hit the date they've confidently nailed down so far across all territories.
It's also worth noting that with XB2 presumably being a single player game, it'll also be significantly easier to develop and qa it compared to the extra hoops they likely had to jump through with XBX due to the multiplayer element.

I did.
I bought Zelda then waited 2months to grab a Wii (you know, artificial shortages) to play it.
It was painful to watch the box during all these weeks.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Good for Nintendo. I hope the Switch brings years of joy to its owners. 🙂

gogojira

Did it? I know Prime 1 did pretty well, but Prime 2 shipped less than a million units worldwide, which was a pretty big disappointment. Prime 3 did over a million and that was released at the height of the mega-popular Wii. I think the original Metroid is still the best selling game in the series and that didn't even hit 3 million. And these are the most notable games in the series. Metroid has never set the sales charts on fire.

Best case scenario for a Metroid Prime 4 would be what, 2 million lifetime? It's not gonna be a priority for Nintendo when so many of their other franchises can outsell it by huge margins.

I'd walk back "incredibly well" to it just selling well. The original Prime and Prime 3 selling more of course. I don't think the entirety of Wii's userbase (which was huge obviously) was an indicator of how well a game would sell. I'd hazard to guess a large portion of that base didn't give a fuck about a lot of core games.

I'm saying it has selling power, enough to warrant a sequel. I'm saying it doesn't have Zelda, Mario or even Splatoon in this era, selling power. I think blanket statements of "Metroid sells bad" are wrong.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It's going to be fascinating to see whether it'll have legs beyond the immediate launch. I have my doubts.

i'm shocked lol

So was Iwata right? Can one game really make a difference?

if it's early enough and good enough? probably. continued success will require N to capitalize on the initial momentum, which they seem poised to be from a software standpoint

brad-t

It's going to be fascinating to see whether it'll have legs beyond the immediate launch. I have my doubts.

I think Zelda will have longer legs and support sales of the Switch more than many are expecting. If Mario can reach a similar level of quality and praise, I think Nintendo will be in a strong position going into the holidays.

Good. At least it's an indication that high quality serious Nintendo games still sell hardware. Also I think it's a sign that there's a market for this hybrid model. Now Nintendo needs to start delivering software (which it should be able to now they only have one platform to worry about). Indy games are coming, but I want to see the plans for VC as well.

Litri

That's really a great result considering the time frame of the release. Now let's see if it can dance with LEGS.

Good for nintendo which should be good for me, as i want support for the machine. Obviously only the first weekend and it doesn´t tell us how it well fare down the line, but better sell a lot of units than sell worse than the WiiU. So, one good sign.

Also, i took it to work today, since a co-worker knew that i bought one and asked me to (i took the release friday off lol). Others saw it and tried it out as well. They ranged from no gaming ever to regularly playing games but not into the news cycle like gaf. They were pretty impressed with the thing. One guys mind was blown when i took the joy-cons off and continued playing with one in each hand. Also, they thought the price is pretty good (they compared it to tablets (mostly ipads)). One even ordered one right away at work :)

ekim

Good for nintendo which should be good for me, as i want support for the machine. Obviously only the first weekend and it doesn´t tell us how it well fare down the line, but better sell a lot of units than sell worse than the WiiU. So, one good sign.

Also, i took it to work today, since a co-worker knew that i bought one and asked me to (i took the release friday off lol). Others saw it and tried it out as well. They ranged from no gaming ever to regularly playing games but not into the news cycle like gaf. They were pretty impressed with the thing. One guys mind was blown when i took the joy-cons off and continued playing with one in each hand. Also, they thought the price is pretty good (they compared it to tablets (mostly ipads)). One even ordered one right away at work :)

You should get a bonus. lol

kswiston

Devs, look! There's a growing bunch of potential customers, hungry for real games! Time for some rushed por... ahm... I didn't say anything.

It's way too early to say anything about the health of the Switch. People are going to let themselves fall into the same trap that they did with XB1 and 3DS launch sales. These early sales hopefully point to the system not being another Wii U, but that's about all they point to.

Awesome story! I'm really curious to see how well Switch resonates with a more mainstream audience. Spending too much time of Gaf will make you think that no one wants Switch because PS4/Xbox One are cheaper and have better looking games. I think that severely sells short just how appealing Switch's tech is.

Reminds me of when I first started working at a Verizon store. I started off as an arrogant PoS who thought people shouldn't bother with phones that were the latest and greatest. Didn't take long for me to eat some humble pie and realize that the vast majority of people didn't care about what "the best" phones on the market were.

Funnily enough, I was clobbered by Mario Kart 8 adverts watching NCIS about an hour ago, so I wonder if that'll help it maintain some momentum over here.

Anyway, congrats on a successful launch, Switch!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Funnily enough, I was clobbered by Mario Kart 8 adverts watching NCIS about an hour ago, so I wonder if that'll help it maintain some momentum over here.

Anyway, congrats on a successful launch, Switch!

wow, they're already ramping up mk8d ads? where are you?

harpingon

Neo Member
It depends how people look at the price

£280 may be a lot for a seemingly underpowered home console, or even a portable, but £280 for both is exceptional value, even more so when you only have to buy a game once to play it either way.

It's not that great when both you (me) and your (my) son have Nintendo portables and use them to play together, now I guess we could huddle around one switch, but realistically in a multi gamer household, two switches are required, which is raising the cost bar quite a bit.

I don't understand why Nintendo is choosing to launch mk8d at the end of april instead of at the beginning of the month. Instead of having another high quality exclusive ready for when everyone has beaten botw they have an almost months gap. Seems silly to me.

I don't understand why Nintendo is choosing to launch mk8d at the end of april instead of at the beginning of the month. Instead of having another high quality exclusive ready for when everyone has beaten botw they have an almost months gap. Seems silly to me.

I honestly believe BOTW will last most people longer than a month imo.

Top Bottom