• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 Thread: Joy-Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Presentation is still going? I just woke up and saw Switch threads everywhere, but reactions are mixed as far i can see. Is there quick summary anywhere, i want to know Nintendo is doomed or not.

From what I've caught up on I'm super unimpressed with it all. It seems they are doing so much wrong (spec/pricing/games/online). And to top it off Mario looks terribad. Right now I have zero interest in this system with what they are offering. I'm not confident the outlook is good for it going off what they've announced.

kc44135

Was ready to jump in day one at $249.99, but at $300 (with paid online, no less) I'll have to take a wait and see approach. I just think they're asking a but too much right now, although I think it's a safe bet that it will see a price cut at some point this year. Also, I just woke up, so did they say anything about Virtual Console on Switch, like what consoles will be supported or if there will be any way to transfer your Wii U VC games, get a discount, etc?

watershed

Banned
Man Nintendo would be so fucked if BOTW wasn't so hype. Its the only thing saving the Switch launch right now. If, somehow, that game turns out to be bad or just not very good, fans are gonna go nuts.

toa95

I seem to have the opposite opinion of everybody here (this happens far too often)
I thought Nintendo were showing a confidence and swagger that I had never seen from them before and that the presentation was a great success. The joycons seem great and Zelda at launch is brilliant, I'm not sure what else people were expecting. We even got teases for a new no more heroes, xenoblade and smt game. Maybe the launch won't be the strongest (even though zelda is goty and at least 40 hours long) but it won't be long after that we'll have titles like Arms, Splatoon and Mario Kart. The price is a little more than I would have liked but all in all this seems like a great system.

This is where I'm at, also it doesn't hurt that I plan to trade in my Xbox One so the price won't be so big of a deal for me. Although I did kinda miss the Direct format... It felt more... polished? Like... Live shows can screw up a bit sometimes, especially with live translations.

KAL2006

Banned
It had it of potential but Nintendo killed it on 2 things

Price
£280 when I thought it should be £200
Charging for online, I already pay for PS4 Online so secondary console potential goes down the drain. Unless this is like £20 for online play this is a huge turn off. Free NES or SNES game that you can't even keep after the month is laughable in comparison to what MS and Sony give.

Storage
Only 32GB limits game size potential. Yes i know we can insert SD cards but the fact that default is 32GB means developers will only make 32GB games max.

Other concerns like battery life and lack of launch games are not as huge as the 2 above issues.

Nintendo could have had a hit on their hands but unfortunately they got too greedy.

HotHamBoy

This is where I'm at, also it doesn't hurt that I plan to trade in my Xbox One so the price won't be so big of a deal for me. Although I did kinda miss the Direct format... It felt more... polished? Like... Live shows can screw up a bit sometimes, especially with live translations.

Have fun with you one game.

Parapraxis

I don't think it's happenstance that literally every conference thread on this site is negative as shit.

I mean, I didn't think the conference was amazing, but when literally every conference thread on this site is full of people shitting on everything it just seems like a huge chunk of this site is impossible to please. Seems like typical internet hyperbole.

Oh boy, you must have missed the PS4 announcement thread then, because it was positively thrilling and full of joy. Switch reveal thread was super hype as well.

EDIT: I assumed 1 2 Switch was a pack in...it isn't, this is sad

I don't think it's happenstance that literally every conference thread on this site is negative as shit.

I mean, I didn't think the conference was amazing, but when literally every conference thread on this site is full of people shitting on everything it just seems like a huge chunk of this site is impossible to please. Seems like typical internet hyperbole.

Again, the initial Switch reveal thread was fairly positive by GAF standards. I don't doubt that there is a large segment of the internet that can be hyperbolic as shit, but you have people here that were genuinely interested after the initial reveal who were really put off by this conference. It's not just a case of "GAF BEING GAF"

meanspartan

In retrospect, the Wii was the worst thing to happen to Nintendo if they are gonna keep chasing that casual audience forever.

Make a Box with competitive power. With regular controllers. Let your games speak, not dumb gimmicks.

Or, just go third party aside from handhelds.

400USD. So about $100 more for significantly better hardware.

Lol. Yeah, apart from the fact that I don't see people carrying their PS4 around, sure. I also refer to my computer monitor as more advanced than my tablet because the former has higher resolution...
GAF really makes me doubt that the human species ever went through any kind of enlightenment.

RedFox85

I seem to have the opposite opinion of everybody here (this happens far too often)
I thought Nintendo were showing a confidence and swagger that I had never seen from them before and that the presentation was a great success. The joycons seem great and Zelda at launch is brilliant, I'm not sure what else people were expecting. We even got teases for a new no more heroes, xenoblade and smt game. Maybe the launch won't be the strongest (even though zelda is goty and at least 40 hours long) but it won't be long after that we'll have titles like Arms, Splatoon and Mario Kart. The price is a little more than I would have liked but all in all this seems like a great system.

There is a difference I think between swagger and unjustified confidence. What did Nintendo have to be so swaggy about exactly? I also don't think it's fair to say "yeah good job getting Zelda on there in time for launch!" that feels more like complete happenstance. The failing console was having it's Zelda game developed and they just said "hey let's put it on the switch too!" it also feels a little bit like maybe the reason we aren't getting it sooner on the Wii U was so that the switch could have SOMETHING - ANYTHING for it's launch window.

mjp2417

Banned
I knew this would happen. Just not enough games. I think everything else would be able to overcome it but man, not enough games. After that massive drought for the Wii U and all that time and that was all they had to show. Question, where the fuck is Smash Bros? That was like the 1st game we heard about being ported and that was a while ago.

I would expect most of the Wii U's heavy hitters to eventually receive ports, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo spaces them out to partially mask software droughts. That's really the only reason I can see for Mario Kart not releasing at launch (they need something between launch and Splatoon in the summer).

ovGYedx.gif

GUYS WAT?

I thought there was no way this was real, but it so is. I have no idea what's real anymore.

So E3 will probably be a Mario Odyssey blowout, with Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade 2 also being spotlighted. I hope they still have a couple of surprises in store like maybe a new Animal Crossing game and an announcement from Retro perhaps?

Tom Penny

We also have 3 more livestreams to look forward over the weekend. Might get some more announcements there.

It will have to compete with price dropped PS4, Xbone and probably Scorpio during the holidays. Good luck.

Yado

It shouldn't be impossible for Nintendo fo reveal a healthy, exciting launch lineup when they haven't relased anything for their last console in a long time. Public reception and sales will show whether we're just being negative or if it was just that awful I guess.

Again, the initial Switch reveal thread was fairly positive by GAF standards. I don't doubt that there is a large segment of the internet that can be hyperbolic as shit, but you have people here that were genuinely interested after the initial reveal who were really put off by this conference. It's not just a case of "GAF BEING GAF"
The fact that you have to preface it with "By GAF standards" kind of proves my point.

There are people in here reasonably voicing why they're not impressed, but a huge chunk of this thread is just negative drive by troll bullshit. Which is definitely GAF being GAF.

Na, I'm not getting this.
The pricing structure and the online payments, na. just na..
I was so excited for this as well I knew Nintendo would fuck it somehow.

jdstorm

Banned

We also have 3 more livestreams to look forward over the weekend. Might get some more announcements there.

Heres what i was expecting to see

1. Some tech talk- tick good job
2. A Gear VR style solution teased - Nope
3. Price and Release date - Tick
4. Confirmation of Frostbyte running on the Switch - Whats the opposite of that
5. A gaming montage/teaser for 20-30 new games. Launching this year. Plus Title card teasers for future projects.- Nintendo bought out Devs who said they had nothing to show.

Neonep

Pokemon stars or whatever the fuck it's called is when I'll get a Switch. I can get Zelda on my Wii U, MK8 Deluxe looks cool but not cool enough to make me buy it again, & Odyssey looks great but I'm not buying a console just for that.

Franz Brötchen;228237276 said:
Lol. Yeah, apart from the fact that I don't see people carrying their PS4 around, sure. I also refer to my computer monitor as more advanced than my tablet because the former has higher resolution...
GAF really makes me doubt that the human species ever went through any kind of enlightenment.
I wonder why Nintendo is trying to compete with consoles with this machine, then, if they don't want consumers to compare it to other tech in that space.

Maybe you're smart enough to answer that.

It's a hybrid, and like most hybrids it doesn't excel at being both. You get a weak console or a 720p screen with a 2.5h battery life.

Heres what i was expecting to see

1. Some tech talk- tick good job
2. A Gear VR style solution teased - Nope
3. Price and Release date - Tick
4. Confirmation of Frostbyte running on the Switch - Whats the opposite of that
5. A gaming montage/teaser for 20-30 new games. Launching this year. Plus Title card teasers for future projects.- Nintendo bought out Devs who said they had nothing to show.

the thing is 720p you should drop the VR dream.

AzaK

I still can't comprehend the fact that parental controls are system wide. So if you set a "1 hour" limit to control your young child's access to gaming, even if your partner or older child starts to play they will also get limited.

This is just fucking 1990's level shit.

it was a nice presentation but that launch lineup is pitiful. they should of at least been able to pad it out a bit with some updated ports but doesn't look like those are even going to make it.

Vuze

The presentation was horrible as I expected and the price is not good, it doesn't come with a game either.

Bad moment for Nintendo after such a great initial reveal.

Hopefully they have more games and third Larry support in the work.

Where the fuck is Monster Hunter and Resident Evil?
Yeah I don't get it either. I totally expected a port of MHXX. They did it for WiiU and it's not like it would've been a nice money maker for the fucking paid online portion.

Anyone else thinking they'll launch a Switch Mini with a smaller form factor for better portability at a lower price point instead of another 3DS/Game Boy style handheld?

commissar

Feeling pretty conflicted tbh. The switch hardware seems pretty great. 1, 2 Switch appeals to me a bunch and I'm ultra keen on Arms and Splatoon 2.

Zelda with some acting seems pretty intriguing...but the world just looks so vast and...empty :/ Hopefully the traversal and exploration attains a Shadow of the Colossus-like feel. Otherwise I fear for boring trips between adventuring zones.

Mario's new moves look great, but those environments and scenarios...
I've honestly never been more surprised to see Mario appear in a game. Looks incredibly incoherent visually, which is shocking coming from Galaxies and Land/World. Really not appealing :/

Might have to wait for Splatoon/Pikmin to release before I get a Switch (with the coloured Joy-cons, naturally)

dovella

Beautiful, yes, but if we consider the cost of the console that is virtually empty, with some rooms you accessory to $ 400 for take home only a promise, in essence, the securities park is completely empty. All that is immediately appealing in fact already exists on WiiU (including this Zelda).
Maybe we should wait until the first price cut and some bundle pack also to see if this time Nintendo will be well supported. You have the "advantage" that with the ARM CPU Nvidia will surely bring all titioli available on Shields and the various Android Store (INDIE), but it's stuff that already play for years on Steam at very low prices.
This is a console that is bought in mid-career (IMHO)

3T558

CrisKre

Wholeheartedly agree.

Generate

Banned

They are. Dont worry about it too much.

rekameohs

Banned
So, if there's a multiplayer game using the IR sensor (1 2 Switch seemed to show some of that), you have to pass the controller around or something because only 1 Joy Con has it?

Kilvas

Overall wasn't impressed by the conference. All of my friends agree that BotW looks great, but none of them are going to spend $360+tax to play it. The presentation felt bare bones and felt like something that was almost meant just for share holders. The cringe at some parts was sad (Suda 51 bad translator, the eye rolling live action trailers). Fake ending on that EA exec made me burst out laughing.

Only saving grace was Zelda and the cool snap transitions. Xenoblade won't fool me a second time with a good trailer. Mario looks nito, but I'm not feeling the new style. No point in preordering when my 3DS will keep me fixed while I wait for Nintendo to get it together. Just not enough info on the things I actually care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom