• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 Thread: Joy-Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
The paid online seems like a small thing but the more I think about it it's a killer for me.

This will never be my main system, gonna be really shitty to pay for online for my "play this once in a while" system... And you know the online is gonna be awful...

platina

Franz Brötchen;228237276 said:
Lol. Yeah, apart from the fact that I don't see people carrying their PS4 around, sure.

That's all it has going for...what a shitty gimmick. It is also hilariously overpriced considering how weak it is.

Street Fighter 2 HD is FORTY mu'fuckin' DOLLARS??!

M3J0ivH.gif

Was definitely hoping for a considerable chunk of more games (even WiiU ports) but Mario, Zelda, Xeno 2, and Octopath Warrior have me hyped.

1,2, Switch looks like it could be the next Wii Sports since it's so approachable, but it's a real shame it's not a pack-in title.

killatopak

Gold Member
Franz Brötchen;228237276 said:
Lol. Yeah, apart from the fact that I don't see people carrying their PS4 around, sure. I also refer to my computer monitor as more advanced than my tablet because the former has higher resolution...
GAF really makes me doubt that the human species ever went through any kind of enlightenment.

People buy them for the games and do you know what switch doesn't have? Games. At the very least games that cater to mainstream. Ps4 and xbo had bf4,cod,2k games along with their own first party games at launch.

Switch has a shovelware, a few ports and 1 good game that's not even exclusive to at launch.

This is besides the fact that ps4 still has superior hardware to a console released in 2017 that has a shitty price.

Tell me the value proposition of the switch this march against the xbo and ps4 with regards to the games that will be released in that month. Heck mass effect alone blows away any 3rd party offerings switch has.

pixelation

I usually love Mario's visual style. The contrast in artistic direction here between every world was an absolute fucking nightmare.

THIS!!!, and... those underwater god rays... AWFUL, i have never been put off by a Mario game before... well there is always a first time and this is it for me.

In retrospect, the Wii was the worst thing to happen to Nintendo if they are gonna keep chasing that casual audience forever.

Make a Box with competitive power. With regular controllers. Let your games speak, not dumb gimmicks.

Or, just go third party aside from handhelds.

It's embarrassing how they don't understand that Wii wasn't kickstarted by casuals solely. Wii Sports was only a small part of the overall picture. As it should, the Wii reveal was still aimed at core gamers, i.e. the ones that buy things early at a premium price. Its final reveal started with Excite Truck, Red Steel (quality irrelevant for the message it sent) and Mario Galaxy. Also had Metroid Prime, Fire Emblem, Resident Evil, the "Ocarina of Time 2" everyone wanted, etc. If it was modern Nintendo back in the day, Wii would have had nothing of that and instead only Wii Play and a port of Final Fantasy 10. The overall promise of motion controls was also fascinating for everyone, particularly compared to scanning ice cubes with a controller or whatever the hell they were talking about today.

The paid online seems like a small thing but the more I think about it it's a killer for me.

This will never be my main system, gonna be really shitty to pay for online for my "play this once in a while" system... And you know the online is gonna be awful...
This is where I'm at. I will only really play MonHun on it, and it'll really chap my ass to have to pay online for that one damn game. I'll have to hope I get it out of my system in one or two months and then go cold turkey, because I'm not going to pay for a whole month of online to play one game for a few hours a week at most.

Toparaman

Banned
I think the Switch can be salvaged like the 3DS was, but yeah, I don't see this flying off the shelves initially and getting news stories like the Wii did almost immediately.

The pricing along with paid online multiplayer seem like really bad ideas. The Switch is barely going to be anyone's primary games system. The hardcore have PC/PS4/XB1 and the casuals have mobile. Is either crowd going to spend $300 + monthly fees for a supplementary games device?

Once a new Pokemon and Smash Bros come out, the system will probably be down to $200, and that's when we're really going to see the Switch become a hot item.

Ultimately I think the Switch is going to have an excellent game library, akin to the Wii U library + 3DS library combined.

I usually love Mario's visual style. The contrast in artistic direction here between every world was an absolute fucking nightmare.

This is the one thing that's throwing me off about Mario.

It looks very disjointed aesthetically. Even Mario Galaxy which was set in space, had its environments visually feel like a Mario game. Odyssey seems kinda not harmonious.

But, it's one trailer, it's Mario, it's Nintendo. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Sean

Banned
Still can't believe Nintendo botched things this badly. The initial Switch reveal trailer was fantastic and then they completely blew it with this presentation.

The game I was most hyped for was Mario and even that seemed disappointing. The visuals looked rough and the art style felt really inconsistent between the different areas.

I seem to have the opposite opinion of everybody here (this happens far too often)
I thought Nintendo were showing a confidence and swagger that I had never seen from them before and that the presentation was a great success. The joycons seem great and Zelda at launch is brilliant, I'm not sure what else people were expecting. We even got teases for a new no more heroes, xenoblade and smt game. Maybe the launch won't be the strongest (even though zelda is goty and at least 40 hours long) but it won't be long after that we'll have titles like Arms, Splatoon and Mario Kart. The price is a little more than I would have liked but all in all this seems like a great system.

We also have 3 more livestreams to look forward over the weekend. Might get some more announcements there.

I would not be as down as I am if it were not for the crazy fucked up anticonsumer nonsense that goes so far beyond where I thought even Nintendo were capable of going.

Phoenixus

Sadly I can see an ambassador situation happening here, especially if there aren't any more major announcements (VC, third party launch window games) to justify the price. I'm still picking up the machine day one for Zelda and bomberman but there's a definite feeling of WiiU cost regret here.

I'm generally really positive and optimistic about stuff in gaming. This conference made me feel disheartened. The $300 I was fine with, the price of controllers, some of the games, the launch lineup, internal memory, and handheld battery life really doesn't do it for me. I get BOTW is probably pretty cool but I'm not really into the Zelda games unfortunately.

With that said, I've preordered it with the high chance that unless I see something really appealing in the next two months, I'll wait a couple of years to get the system.

Derphoof

That's all it has going for...what a shitty gimmick. It is also hilariously overpriced considering how weak it is.

It's a $300 home console that doubles as a portable system.

In a world where the "New" 3DS XL and the PS Vita are $200, and are both far underpowered compared to the Switch?

$300 seems like a fair price to me.

pixelation

Then we're in trouble because it at once managed to be the same boring old shit and shockingly ugly and even offensive to my eyes

What a shit show.

I feel the pain man, i was really looking forward to it and its... so uninspired and ugly... and jaggy.

Tabasco

Horrible... horrible... horrible... even my most anticipated game from them looks awful (Mario) it looks so bad i am not interested in real life locales, and the graphics are bad. The whole presentation had me cringing so hard looking away from the screen at times even... the presentators in costumes acting stupid... oh gosh... *shudders*

The only game that looks good is Zelda, but Zelda herself looks awful... like some sort of rodent. And the Switch is overpriced beyond belief, i can't see it succeding. It will share a similar fate to that of the Wii U if not worse.
The amount of denial in this post is pretty crazy.

Vuze

Just so you guys know; In Australia you can buy a 1TB PS4 Pro for LESS than a Nintendo Switch + Pro Controller. This console is DOA.
Isn't that true for every region? I'm pretty sure Euro prices will also be in the 370€+ area with the pro controller. It's insane.

Loved the conference and the games.

You guys are just doing your typical song and dance like always.

Mario looks amazing and i cant wait for it.
Obligatory avatar quote.

The same song an dance ppl did with the Wii U. I'm sure Nintendo doesn't like that tune.

Yea but you will wait for it.

Expected meltdowns on the neogaf aside, I don't expect the $300 price tag to last very long.

I see a lot of potential in this console, I am in day 1

Gleethor

Can't really relate to the folks saying that the games looked bad. Zelda had it's best trailer yet, Mario looks like everything fans have been asking for, Arms actually looks like a cool new IP.

Where they really botched this conference was everywhere else. $300 would be a lot easier to swallow with a pack in game, like 1 2 Switch for example. $250 would've made expensive controllers and limited storage space more palatable. Actual pricing info and more details on their online plans would've curbed some of the paid online panic.

depths20XX

I don't get the "typical GAF hyperbole" posts. Like what is there to be excited about here? We knew how the console worked before this and it seemed like a cool idea. People liked it. They just needed to show it performing and the games that would get people interested.

Now Nintendo gives a shitty conference where they let us know a motion control game will be available at launch for $50 as if that shit didn't already happen 8 years ago. "Hey remember motion controls guys???". Then a few games that won't be out at launch and Zelda which is cross platform. Really exciting...

In a world where the "New" 3DS XL and the PS Vita are $200, and are both far underpowered compared to the Switch?

You're comparing a new product to old ones released against different hardware.

This isn't a handheld product. It's a hybrid. It is not only competing against mobile/tablets (against which its tech is lacking), it's also competing against consoles (against which its price point AND tech are lacking).

If Nintendo expects to recapture their handheld market AND grab the core gamer, they've lost their damn minds.

pixelation

Presentation is still going? I just woke up and saw Switch threads everywhere, but reactions are mixed as far i can see. Is there quick summary anywhere, i want to know Nintendo is doomed or not.

From what i have been reading on this thread the reaction is leaning more toward the negative end of the spectrum by a sizeable bit. They screwed up big time...

TLZ

Banned
The format of the presentation was great. So much better than a Direct.

The content? On one hand you have Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2 and a handful of JRPGs, but on the other hand why wouldn't you show the damn launch line-up when you plan to charge that much for Switch? You bring those 3rd parties on scene and none has a launch game? WTF?

Why was SEGA there anyway?

How is possible to still have "Spring 2017" as a launching date when your console comes out in less than 2 months.

The games are beautiful, but Nintendo really fucked up this event. And the price. And paying for online.

I agree with everything. I don't know how you took the first 2 stupid still-trying-to-recapture-mass-market games they showed (you might've liked them) but I was underwhelmed and was simply just waiting for Mario and Zelda. They showed that price and I said fuck it, pre-order gone. There was nothing there that made me want to pre-order this, apart from Zelda, but I can wait for that. I'm hoping the price drops for holiday 2017 with Mario Odyssey bundle. At least show us the UI fgs. Then I felt it ended quickly and showed us a very quick reel of games and I could hardly make out anything. Had a quick glimpse of Lego and MK and SF and that's it. Like WTF is this? We've been waiting for so long for this overhyped presentation, take as long as you want and show us every fucking game. Show me more UI and Switch functionality. Talk about whatever innovations it may have like how online works or the friends list. Instead you tell us online will cost me money yet I know fuck all about how it operates and all I have to go by is your current/recent online history? What the actual fuck is wrong with these people? Show me how the goddamn joycon controller or whatever it's called works so I can decide if I need to get me a Pro controller or not.

I swear I've come out of this presentation knowing absolutely fuck all about the Switch, apart from how the hardware looks like and the joycons.

Thank you Nintendo for putting me on your no pro-order list.

And don't make me start on that stupid, stupid free NES/SNES game per month for paid online.

Mr T.

Banned
I liked what I saw, and honestly most of the leaks from today ended up being true. I have no idea what people were expecting being the vast majority of what was showed were the same leaks people were freaking over about 4 hours ago.

Pros: March 3rd release, Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2.

Cons: Price is $50 more then expected, paid online subscription.

My only complaint is 1-2 Switch/Arms feels like they should have been a pack-in-title. Day 1 purchase for Zelda for me.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I seem to have the opposite opinion of everybody here (this happens far too often)
I thought Nintendo were showing a confidence and swagger that I had never seen from them before and that the presentation was a great success. The joycons seem great and Zelda at launch is brilliant, I'm not sure what else people were expecting. We even got teases for a new no more heroes, xenoblade and smt game. Maybe the launch won't be the strongest (even though zelda is goty and at least 40 hours long) but it won't be long after that we'll have titles like Arms, Splatoon and Mario Kart. The price is a little more than I would have liked but all in all this seems like a great system.

We also have 3 more livestreams to look forward over the weekend. Might get some more announcements there.

I was impressed with the hardware but, given the price being more than the leaks implied, accessories being crazy expensive and the launch lineup being Zelda and not much else, it's kinda disconcerting. Was pokemon/Mario rabbids rpg/smash/Gamecube VC even real? If not, those are all big blows for me.

Isn't that true for every region? I'm pretty sure Euro prices will also be in the 370€+ area with the pro controller. It's insane.

I'm not sure as I'd only checked EB Games' website here, but it's absolutely insane. Who on earth is going to buy a Switch when they can buy a Scorpio or Pro for roughly the same price?

7roject28

Yeah, it was obviously gonna be $299. Don't know why people are surprised by it. The 3DS is still $199 and the WiiU is still $299. This thing being both and more powerful than both, it wasn't gonna be $249.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom