• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo teams with Universal for Theme Park attractions

Nanashrew

Banned
My old txt file is lost but I had made a huge thing on what kinds of attractions you'd see at an actual Nintendo Land. Something I didn't see brought up here is are gardens throughout the theme park featuring a bunch of Pikmin and its wildlife littered throughout, each its own little diorama.

I hope Nintendo is also in talks with Universal to get a Mario (Or pretty much any of their IPs) film from Illumination Entertainment, they do great work.

Just give me a Donkey Kong mice cart ride with some David Wise playing and I'll be in heaven.

I'll probably wind up settling for something Pokemon and Mario related.

DJIzana

What're the chances this will be done by November?

I'm heading to Japan for a month then (on vacation). I already plan to check out Universal Studios for the Monster Hunter stuff and this would be icing on the cake!

SalvaPot

Truth be told, my father (who still lives in Orlando), inherited a small bus not unlike this one. It can seat like 20 something people.

4JpuUxw.jpg

I'm sure I could borrow it. Any Florida GAFers interested in partaking in Huelen's wild Nintendoland ride when the time comes?

In all seriousness though, the ride/mercy potential is incredible. Perhaps we will get new rides, perhaps they will Ruskin the Marvel ones, but whatever the case, Nintendo did good in picking Universal over Six Flags.

Huelen planning to harvest our organs.

A guy who has pretty good sources and track record on a WDW message board says to expect big things from this in Florida and that Islands of Adventure is not where whatever comes out of this deal will end up.

A really good Nintendo experience would make me return to Universal Studios Florida for the first time since I rode Back To The Future: The Ride. The Harry Potter attractions seem well done, but I have no interest in them to carve out time in a Disney trip for USF (usually because WDW visits recently have been 4-5 days max - enough for a park a day).

Really interested to see what comes out of this, and even though it's years away, Comcast is being very aggressive on theme parks at the moment and building things quickly, so it could be no more than 2 or 3 years down the road,

...christ, I'll be close to 40 by then and possibly excited about Nintendo attractions at a theme park. One day I'll grow up.

Skunkers

So it is one of almost-bankcorrupted deals Marvel made back in 90s and it does not have an expiration date on the contract? Bad for Disney.

Indeed, Universal has exclusive rights to Marvel characters for all theme parks east of the Mississippi River. I believe the contract lasts for 20 years (so expires in 2019) BUT Universal has first right of refusal so the contract is essentially valid as long as Universal chooses to exercise it. Disney can do what they want with Marvel at Disneyland and the other world Disney parks, but not at Walt Disney World. There is apparently an Iron Man ride already in development for the other Disney Parks.

Kitoro

As someone who lives 40 minutes from Universal Studios Hollywood, I'm sad that Florida will probably get 95% of the content from this deal, seeing as Hollywood is out of space for expansion. I can hope, though!

Lunar15

Please let this mean "A section of the park" and not "Here's some Mario Themed Ice Cream Cones".

I have some faith considering it's Universal. They do some great shit.

Chibot

I just want to know what took them so long. This should have been a thing 15 years ago. Great to hear that it's coming to Universal, as my wife loves Harry Potter anyway.

I need a Wario's Gold Mine-themed Roller Coaster.

christ, I'll be close to 40 by then and possibly excited about Nintendo attractions at a theme park. One day I'll grow up.

Don't do it.

I bet Kirby will have a restaurant
Mario Pipe roller coaster
Maybe a tour of Hyrule Castle or Princess Peach's Castle
Zelda boating ride
F-Zero roller coaster or go karts

I can't wait to see how they do all this. Maybe it will push me to break free of agoraphobia and go.

Lunar15

You know what worries me? That Universal Japan is tied into this. Licensed tie ins at Universal Japan are usually temporary and really lame, like "oh hey, we renamed this restaurant for a month... and here's a statue of your favorite character!"

SmithnCo

If they have some kind of Pokemon attraction they could make a killing. Also, Animal Crossing restaurant or something please.

You know what worries me? That Universal Japan is tied into this. Licensed tie ins at Universal Japan are usually temporary and really lame, like "oh hey, we renamed this restaurant for a month... and here's a statue of your favorite character!"

The announcement was made by Universal Parks & Resorts.

Snaku

Banned
This is gonna be just as awkward for Disney when they buy out Nintendo as it was when they bought Marvel.

Timeaisis

I wonder if this will be an actual section of the park or just some rides and restaurants thrown together with Nintendo branding.

SmithnCo

Seriously, if they put even half the effort into an area that they did for Diagon it will be amazing. The best themed area I've ever seen in a theme park.

Reule

I think there were reports of Toon Lagoon at Islands of Adventure being replaced by something already but a Nintendo area taking over that spot would be prime. As much as I love the older cartoons on display there, it does feel like a weaker area of the park.

Shit, maybe we can find hard to find amiibo at the gift shops there. Oh god, this is why that's happening. Exclusive amiibo only sold at the park.

I would die happy if I could walk around a real life Onett
that'd never happen

Yeah man, I live on the Central Coast and half the towns in the area are basically just Onett, including the gangs, rabid dogs, snakes, trash cans full of hamburgers, and awesome pizza.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
This is a good way to connect with the younger generation and families that they risk losing interest in their franchises.

Nintendo are getting smart.

Pokemon Snap the ride.

Ride the ride, be the very best photographer.

HOLY SNAP. It would be like the Toy Story mania ride in California Adventure, on rails, movie screens scattered throughout and you're armed with a camera, get scored on the quality of your photos, throw bait and stuff to get special events to happen.

SmithnCo

Where do they plan on putting it?

They are already out of room AND planning more Potter junk.

Toon Lagoon in Orlando has been rumored. The next HP expansion is presumably in Studios rather than Islands.

This would make a good land for Islands in any case.

Top Bottom