• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo teams with Universal for Theme Park attractions

thefro

Maybe but that's nothing new for Orlando. Disneys Epcot sells Pokemon, Zelda and Mario merch in their Japan store. (And Sonic, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts...)

My bigger point is that both parties will see benefits before the full rides get built.

Nintendo characters in costume at the parks, maybe some sort of exhibit or special events. Instead of having a media event in LA at a hotel they could have it at Universal Studios Hollywood, etc.

I live in Orlando, born and raised.

This Nintendo thing isn't happening for at least a couple years or more. In the news article they talk about how they are still at the concept phase. Theme park concepts take a LONG time to implement.

They just announced this week that they are putting King Kong Skull Island at Islands of Adventure, so take that into consideration when you are trying to determine where they would put Nintendo.

http://m.wesh.com/orlandomyway/orlando-theme-parks/universal-orlando-promises-huge-announcement-wednesday/32834604

Universal is also building a water park, so this could be nothing more than a Mario pipe water slide. Remain skeptical until specifics are announced.
Kong's opening next year, though.

The Harry Potter expansion went from contracts to opening in about three years, and I'd be shocked if the Nintendo stuff was as highly-themed as the Harry Potter stuff.

DuffDry

Great, Universal is doing it. That means it'll be started and finished in just a few short years, where Disney would take 10 years just to get a half-assed attraction with a tiny giftshop put up.

I love both parks, but Universal's productivity makes Disney look like Blizzard, Valve, and Square's FF division all rolled into one.

My bigger point is that both parties will see benefits before the full rides get built.

Nintendo characters in costume at the parks, maybe some sort of exhibit or special events. Instead of having a media event in LA at a hotel they could have it at Universal Studios Hollywood, etc.

New Nintendo World Stores in Orlando and LA at CityWalk

It'll be a collaboration. One of Universal's greatest strengths it's it's ability to work with the creators of IPs. They worked with Dr. Suess' widow for Suess Landing in IoA. WB and JK Rowling have to sign off on everything they do for Harry Potter. They also worked with Michael Bay and ILM for Transformers (ignore the films; the ride is great!). No doubt Nintendo will have creative impact on this project.

Oh yeah of course they will, but I just meant that I'm glad Universal will be working with them on this. Universal will make sure things work for a theme park, and that the ideas get guided in the right direction. If Nintendo were just doing their own full park without any other input then I would be worried about how they would go about it.

I visit Florida every couple of years, and I keep a close eye on all the developments and rumors. This was such a nice surprise that I never saw coming :D I'm wondering if this could be the replacement for the KidZone in the Studios park in Orlando maybe... hmmm

Also, I remember posting this in another thread, and thought it would be cool to post them here again. As I said, predicted it was going to be Disney and not Universal, so that already changes.
Logically Universal is not going make anything as big as this but it would be great to see some similar ideas on the zone (hope is more Harry Potter and less Simpsons land in terms of area and quality).
And of course the ideas I did here are crazy, It had a fire emblem zone before awakening, And one based in Mother. You are not seeing anything resembling that on a real theme park ever lol
https://vimeo.com/24506373
Huge panoramica of the park in the walt dinsey world resort.
nintendolandwdwmapaorjukd1.png

Nestreet was done to represent how important New York was for Nintendo's american entrance (thats why they have their Nintendo world store there and nowhere more). It has a better representation of how it would look in the video above rather than in this map though. It also has representation of Nintendo franchises that dont appear as lands.
nestreet7fkl4.png

So the park is didvided into 3 huge lands with minilands. Center is Mushroom Kingdom, right is the sci-fi Nintendo games and left is more adventure type games. In fact I think is pretty easy to divide nintendo's serie into this thre categories, as they seem to love games with space theme (Kirby is treated like an alien in the smash games for example) and the other fit in a more normal medieval or nature adventure feeling.

Yeah, this is not one to scale, the castle is too big in this drawing lol. The thing I most like when I did it was adding a little part to Diamond City, the city of wario ware games. You can see the plaza of Diamond City in the video with the wario statue graffitied by Donald.
mushroomkingdomjgkq2.png

This zone would have never fly in a real project, also it's too big. But hey, i was having fun!
onettandporkcityoujfk.png

Dreamland, even if it's one of the smallest areas I think is one of the most realistic and contained ones that I drew in the map.
dreamlandcuko9.png

This ones are also pretty small like Dreamland, Zebes has more of a ruins feeling while Lylat is a little bit more modern (probably would have been better calling it Corneria. I think). Both zones have their respective dark rides that show more of the worlds that appear in boths sagas.
Ridley is too big to be a flat ride!
lylatsystemandzebeswwjbe.png

Coaster zone? Coaster zone!
Would have never worked on a park done by disney, but just imagine they want to eat a little bit of Universal's thrill seekers pie (and to change a little form the other parks at their resort) and keep dreaming lol
mutecityandbigblue8gkys.png

When I drew this, it was a the time just before Brawl's release, and as the earthbound zone this probably wouldn't have worked on a real project. Now with how loved is Fire Emblem in the west, maybe it could work.
thedragonkingdom2ikax.png

This zone is not even too big, but too HUGE. But isnt ist awesome! Best thing is the rapids ride, I feel is the one that better conveys how you can show majority of parts of the games.
hyrulekskk4.png

This one would bring the moneys, im pretty sure of that. Yeah, Icicle Mountain minizone would have probably be unrealistic also, but Disney love their mountains lol
pokemonregionandicicldik7s.png

Yay, a Jungle Cruise knock-off! lol
giantgardenv3jd3.png

Oh yeah of course they will, but I just meant that I'm glad Universal will be working with them on this. Universal will make sure things work for a theme park, and that the ideas get guided in the right direction. If Nintendo were just doing their own full park without any other input then I would be worried about how they would go about it.

I visit Florida every couple of years, and I keep a close eye on all the developments and rumors. This was such a nice surprise that I never saw coming :D I'm wondering if this could be the replacement for the KidZone in the Studios park in Orlando maybe... hmmm

This is true, usually, japanese companies know shit about making real theme parks, Tokyo Disney sea was mostly designed by americans and it shows. And you can see the iea of intendo making a theme park in Nintendo Land, and that looks more like a giant fucking cake than a real theme park (somethign I always disliked in that game). FFS even the background of the new Baby Park in MK8 is a better Nintendo theme park than whatever they tried to do in Nintendo Land.
The only thing I could see wortking well is Monita.
Thats why if Nintendo decided to do something like this, I always wanted Disney or Universal to get the rights. Thank god it happened at the end.

Pretty cool, i live so close to Universal Orlando i could walk there, i been there so many times im practically sick of going, but this will definitely give me incentive again :D

That could happen but I wouldn't say its a benefit, more of a perk. At least as far as Universal is concerned. No one is going to go to Universal just to meet a guy in a Mario suit (except maybe season passholders, but Universal already has their money).

It would definitely be good advertising for Nintendo, though.

Diffense

I was watching a gamexplain video about the Mario Kart DLC and they were talking about Baby Park and how all the rides make them want a Nintendo theme park. This has some potential. A real life Luigi's Mansion? Real like Mario Kart? It sounds like a perfect fit.

Kong's opening next year, though.

The Harry Potter expansion went from contracts to opening in about three years, and I'd be shocked if the Nintendo stuff was as highly-themed as the Harry Potter stuff.

The Kong concept has been in development for a while. They typically don't announce concepts to the public right when the handshake is made. The recent Harry Potter expansion was in physically development before it was announced to the public.

For the concepts they do announce early, such as the Avatar section at Disneys Animal Kingdom, it takes a few years. We don't know if they plan to go all out like they did with Harry Potter because they are still discussing concept. It will probably be 2017 at earliest.

Mista Koo

K32hgia.gif

Realistically speaking, how small could it be and how big could it be?

Currently I expect:
-A Mario ride
-Mario Kart
-Luigi's Mansion
-Donkey Kong cart/log ride
-Wild card (Zelda or Kirby? Or a rollercoaster)

And I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be getting Pokemon rides because licensing etc.

Gartooth

So something like the Marvel Superhero Island then?

Huh, guessing they would do attractions for Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, and The Legend of Zelda then, at least going off relative popularity or how iconic the franchises are. Rides and attractions aren't cheap after all.

Pokemon would be big too, but the Pokemon Company would have to sign off on it.

Jawmuncher

What area would they even empty for this?
Only one I can think is the Atlantis area, that place is always a ghost town.

RichardKSJ

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

FINALLY! IT'S WHAT I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED!!!!!

Can I live there? I want to live there.

So something like the Marvel Superhero Island then?

Huh, guessing they would do attractions for Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, and The Legend of Zelda then, at least going off relative popularity or how iconic the franchises are. Rides and attractions aren't cheap after all.

Pokemon would be big too, but the Pokemon Company would have to sign off on it.

My completely unfounded guess is it'll be replacing Marvel SH Island. That place is in a contractual stalemate as there's no expiry on the contract that will let Disney pull it from them, but Universal aren't able to update any of the theming, hence why its stuck in the 90s and not linking to the MCU or recent comics. The contract does have a point coming up in the next year or 2 where Universal have to pay an increasing amount to keep hold of it, so my theory is they'll refuse and repurpose the area for Nintendo. Hulk would make an amazing F-Zero ride.

My completely unfounded guess is it'll be replacing Marvel SH Island. That place is in a contractual stalemate as there's no expiry on the contract that will let Disney pull it from them, but Universal aren't able to update any of the theming, hence why its stuck in the 90s and not linking to the MCU or recent comics. The contract does have a point coming up in the next year or 2 where Universal have to pay an increasing amount to keep hold of it, so my theory is they'll refuse and repurpose the area for Nintendo. Hulk would make an amazing F-Zero ride.

Universal are currently planning a revamp of the Hulk ride and a new Avengers E-Ticket for Superhero Island. It's not going anywhere.

Toon Lagoon is difficult to merchandise, and generally needs a retheme, particularly with Kong springing up next to it. I'd be shocked if it wasn't earmarked for this.

Plus, the idea of Mario replacing Pop-Eye has some nice symmetry to it.

I don't see why not. They both sell Marvel merchandise. Selling merch isn't the same as having rights to theme park attractions. That would be my take, anyway.
Yeah, contracts are tricky.
Take this Wikipedia quote...
In late 2009, The Walt Disney Company (Universal's biggest competitor in the theme park market) announced that it had sought to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Universal announced that Marvel's new ownership would not affect Marvel Super Hero Island, and Disney CEO Robert Iger acknowledged that Disney would continue to honor any contracts that Marvel currently has with Disney competitors
So yeah probably won't change a single thing.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I wanted to go to Universal Orlando for the Harry Potter theme park, but it looks like I'll be putting those plans away until this comes to fruition.

Somnid

I was at Universal Studios a few weeks ago and I was completely hit with how much sense this would make. The environments there are constructed very videogamey with fake decorative doors, alleyways that get smaller to oblivion blocked by kneehigh barriers you can't cross. Music is constantly pumped into the environment. Perfect for bringing a game to life. The rides themselves are like small contained interactive experiences which is what you'd expect from a game. Hopefully they get some cool ideas but this is absolutely going to be a good fit.

Universal are currently planning a revamp of the Hulk ride and a new Avengers E-Ticket for Superhero Island. It's not going anywhere.

Toon Lagoon is difficult to merchandise, and generally needs a retheme, particularly with Kong springing up next to it. I'd be shocked if it wasn't earmarked for this.

Plus, the idea of Mario replacing Pop-Eye has some nice symmetry to it.

Actually yeah this could be a pretty good fit, decently sized area, which would just need a re-theme and a couple of extra attractions adding.

I still feel like it would be a better fit in Studios rather than IoA though, I don't know why, just feels more right :L

First thing I thought of was what kind of limited stock items they would sell for scalpers to profit from. Limited edition amiibos?

That said, if this is executed correctly, this could be quite nice.

Neoxon

I've waited for this for so long. As for what I expect...

• Mario, Zelda, DK, & Metroid attractions are safe bets
  • I 75% expect the likes of Kirby, Pikmin, & Animal Crossing in some capacity
  • I'm not sure if we'll get Pokémon on account of how TPC can be about non-Smash crossovers. If TPC signs off on it, I'd put Pokémon in the safe bets category.
  • I partially expect a Splatoon attraction if Nintendo's serious about slowly building up the IP for the next few years
  • I can see us getting F-Zero as a hardcore roller coaster (with track designs from the F-Zero games), but it's not a guarantee (I'd be disappointed if we didn't)
  • I could imagine us getting some sort of Fire Emblem attraction, but I wouldn't bet on it as much as I would the others
  • Luigi's Mansion could definitely be an awesome inclusion, but that would technically fall under Mario
  • There's a 12% chance in my opinion that we could get anything Xenoblade given how the franchise has blown up in recent years. At the very least have the Monado there to pose with.
  • As much as I'd love to see Kid Icarus, Earthbound/Mother or Rhythm Heaven attractions, I kinda doubt it. If anything, I'd be a bit more hopeful for Earthbound given that Ness is a Smash staple.
  • While I would technically lump Yoshi with Mario, it's definitely gonna get its own dedicated attraction

Hermii

Not bad for a doomed company:p

Nintendo theme park ride sounds awesome. I wonder if they will try to add some kind of gamey interactive elements to their rides, or just make traditional rides based on Nintendo characters and worlds.

Top Bottom