• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW G1 Special in USA [OT] Billy Gunn Main Events in 2017

Why are so many people saying Okada was trying to look good for a WWE tryout. Dude has everything in NJPW. I really don't think he feels like he has something to prove by going WWE.

The US title being the main event pretty much cements Kenny Omega as the champion, now THAT'S a guy who is on the way to WWE.

Heroman

Banned
I was more disappointed in an American crowd paying to see a New Japan show and deciding to get themselves over with American style chants. Would it have killed them to act like a Japanese crowd?

Also that match was pretty much Okada auditioning for NXT.
Cause we ain't Japanese

And yeah okada isn't going to NXT

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
I was more disappointed in an American crowd paying to see a New Japan show and deciding to get themselves over with American style chants. Would it have killed them to act like a Japanese crowd?

Considering the sound issues they were having last night, I thought they were. Only chant that really stuck out was the "Throw the towel" chant, but that's because by that point of the match, nobody was on Cody's side.

Finally managed to catch up.

I agree with what was posted in the last page. That Okada match was good, but Okada is such a great performer that it feels like a waste not having someone who could work with him on delivering a great match.

All in all, a very good event IMO. Omega vs Naito would've been my dream match for the finals, but if we get Omega vs ZSjunior then that's the next best thing to me.

kiguel182

Just finished the first night and well, I liked the main event. It was entertaining at least.

Omega vs Elgin was great too and Zack Sabre Jr vs Juice was also pretty cool. Juice has come a long way form his NXT days.

Second night should be good (Billy Gunn match excluded).

Also, I’m a first time NJPW subcriber! I’m now converted I guess.

Anth0ny

I really enjoyed the show. 4 hours flew by. I also thought the crowd was surprisingly respectful.

Some of the production hickups were really weird, need to iron that stuff out.

So who do you want to get the US title?

I am fine with everyone except Lethal, but my personal favorite is ZSJ. Hope he is the next breakout international star from NJPW.

Also that match was pretty much Okada auditioning for NXT.
This is a Heroman tier post

Raw64life

Liger and Tatsu doing a pose off and the production crew can't keep up at all. They did not improve from yesterday so far.

Could really do without all the tag shit after yesterday.

I usually watch NJPW PPVs the morning after and I usually skim through the first 90 minutes because it's always just these same type matches.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Komatsu is gonna be one hell of a heel in NJPW one day.

Shame Bushi vs Kushida happened at Kizuna Road. That would have been one hell of a match here.

somedevil

Notes are ready:

DDxN9jNUIAA_aNR.jpg

Anth0ny

Could really do without all the tag shit after yesterday.

tag shit is done so big matchups don't become stale, and allows stars that don't currently have a focused singles program to be on the card. Also, they can get their two or three big spots in without having to kill themselves.

It's actually genius, because pretty much every combat sport in the world sells a big show based on their main event, MAYBE 1 or 2 other matches, and the rest is skippable. That's all New Japan is doing. the tag matches are totally skippable, but then you know shit is about to get real when we get to the top of the card.

Liger should be Okada's next challenger. Maybe even his retirement match.
tag shit is done so big matchups don't become stale, and allows stars that don't currently have a focused singles program to be on the card. Also, they can get their two or three big spots in without having to kill themselves.

It's actually genius, because pretty much every combat sport in the world sells a big show based on their main event, MAYBE 1 or 2 other matches, and the rest is skippable. That's all New Japan is doing. the tag matches are totally skippable, but then you know shit is about to get real when we get to the top of the card.
I'm aware, jabronie.

Top Bottom