• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW G1 Special in USA [OT] Billy Gunn Main Events in 2017

I look at it differently.
I look at it as he took an impossible situation, Cody and then he made it gold

If you're going to call that gold, I strongly suggest you watch more Okada matches

Not only was that his worst singles match of this year, frankly it's a very safe distance from his second-worst singles match of this year

Okada 100% carried Cody.

Dude sold Cody's Rainmaker better than Cody sold his

It wasn't it was mediocre. It was average. It wasn't better than a bunch of WWE PPV main events.
It shouldn't take a main eventer 30 minutes to defeat a jobber. If only i took out of this, Okada was trying too hard and maybe auditioning for something else.

The curious thing about The Elite leaving Bullet Club is all the merch deals they have with chains like Hot Topic now. If their branding entirely changes it could cause issues.

Fox318

If Cody ever becomes Bullet Club leader when Kenny and the Bucks inevitably get kicked out it's time to fucking end Bullet Club.

fitting that a rhodes would ruin a once over stable

leTYYZk.png

Ithil

This appears to be more of a "beta test" then the true big US breakout. Gave the crowd enough to get them hooked and wanting more. They said 2018 is when they're going to go full steam with this

Even if the execution was iffy these dip-toe-in-the-water US shows have been a financial success for New Japan with the fast ticket sales and those giant merch lines, I expect they're already looking into a schedule of 2018 US dates. If they don't have a show during WM week for instance I'd be shocked.

I feel like ZSJ's style will be great for tourneys like this and G1...his style won't put the other dude at risk of getting dumped on their fucking head by accident and it looks like it shouldn't be that taxing as well compared to a strong style like ishii

Raw64life

Main event picked up towards the end but Cody was gassed at the end and almost botched the ending. I liked the match better than Okada/Fale, but that's about as far as I'll go.

Show was still better than 90% of WWE/NXT stuff, but man the production really hurt. I'll still take JR over any non-Mauro commentary even with his flubs, but they were still embarrassing. Next year needs to be in an arena twice the size and they need to pay whatever it takes to get the full NJPW production crew over here.

Lol JR taking shots at WWE

I wouldn't be surprised if he genuinely forget he is under WWE contract tonight.

It is the best match Cody will ever have until he faces Omega

So fucking what?

Best Cody match is right up there with praise as best Transformers movie

It shouldn't take a main eventer 30 minutes to defeat a jobber. If only i took out of this, Okada was trying too hard and maybe auditioning for something else.

You're right this match should never have happened but the length of the match has nothing to do with the fact that Okada carried Cody.

Main event picked up towards the end but Cody was gassed at the end and almost botched the ending. I liked the match better than Okada/Fale, but that's about as far as I'll go.

Show was still better than 90% of WWE/NXT stuff, but man the production really hurt. I'll still take JR over any non-Mauro commentary even with his flubs, but they were still embarrassing. Next year needs to be in an arena twice the size and they need to pay whatever it takes to get the full NJPW production crew over here.

I wouldn't be surprised if he genuinely forget he is under WWE contract tonight.

Personally, I think every big NXT show this year has been better than tonight as an overall show.

Fox318

ehh good for him.

Must be refreshing to not have Vince or Dunn screaming in your ear about how they need to promote the brand or fucking hashtags.

You don't get two chances to make a first impression.
The last half of the show was strong enough of an impression imo, it stronger then most American wrestling products (in-ring wise)

Even if the execution was iffy these dip-toe-in-the-water US shows have been a financial success for New Japan with the fast ticket sales and those giant merch lines, I expect they're already looking into a schedule of 2018 US dates. If they don't have a show during WM week for instance I'd be shocked.

Yep, its only up from here. Tickets went pretty quick too. Exciting times

Syder

Also I feel like Tama Tonga should be BC leader before Cody. He's a BizCliz og and hopefully he can come into his own during this g1
The only people the Bullet Club has that can be future stars are Tama Tonga and Marty Scurrl, and Marty seems pretty embedded in with The Elite.

If BC can get some good new members, Tonga as the new leader would not be that bad at all.

Personally, I think every big NXT show this year has been better than tonight as an overall show.

NXT has inconsistencies in the week to week but they always knock it out of the field with their Takeovers no matter the buildup. Tonight was mediocre at best whilst NXT this week put on an amazing main event.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
God its a fucking shame this production is 3rd rate.

I really do think if New Japan could get a backer they could do well on primetime with a live or live to tape show.

They really need to bring the TV Asahi folks over if they're serious about having a US show. This show just felt off production wise. I hear a lot of people saying it's ROH crew, but you'd think after doing tons of ROH shows with NJPW talent, they'd at least have an idea how it works. I wouldn't be surprised if NJPW just hired some cheap local company.

If it's a one off, then whatever, but if they're serious, they really need to step their game up because NJPW might be the latest Japanese company to try to expand into the west and completely miss the point why their product has a following overseas in the first place.

NXT has inconsistencies in the week to week but they always knock it out of the field with their Takeovers no matter the buildup. Tonight was mediocre at best whilst NXT this week put on an amazing main event.

Really I think NXT's strength is the length of the show. Takeovers are like two and half hours long at best, so it's all killer and no filler. They don't have the "get everyone on the show" mentality.

Really I think NXT's strength is the length of the show. Takeovers are like two and half hours long at best, so it's all killer and no filler. They don't have the "get everyone on the show" mentality.

I agree to an extent but I think that sells the undercard short. Even Eric Young kills it when he's given the shot.

LMFAO
What?!

Not all main events but here's my WWE did it better list:

Cena vs Styles
Elimination Chamber match
Men's MitB
5 way Extreme Rules #1 Contender match
AoP vs DIY Ladder match
Both Roode vs Nakamura matches
Owens vs Reigns at the Rumble
Pete Dunne vs Tyler Bate
Roode vs Itami
AoP vs Revival vs DIY
AJ vs Shane

Plus arguably:

Asuka vs Ember Moon
Goldberg vs Lesnar

No way, Lapsedo. Cody Sucks, but Billy Gunn SUCKS.
Not all main events but here's my WWE did it better list:

Cena vs Styles
Elimination Chamber match
Men's MitB
5 way Extreme Rules #1 Contender match
AoP vs DIY Ladder match
Both Roode vs Nakamura matches
Owens vs Reigns at the Rumble
Pete Dunne vs Tyler Bate
Roode vs Itami
AoP vs Revival vs DIY
AJ vs Shane

Plus arguably:

Asuka vs Ember Moon
Goldberg vs Lesnar
I can mostly agree with this, yeah.
Except Goldberg vs Lesnar, that was definitely better than this and any of those matches on that list.

I wonder if Tanahashi vs Gunn will be better than Okada vs Cody.

Tanahashi is pretty magnificent.

Will be really interesting. Gunn can sell great but Tanahashi isn't in the best condition right now. A lot will depend on Gunn putting in 100% IMO. Could potentially be a really fun match if they worked enough out ahead of time.

Top Bottom